These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Cierra Royce
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#781 - 2013-10-06 09:42:23 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:
To all of you (goons *sigh*) raging about how CCP has just broken the game, consider this bit of logic:

Every year CCP gives out (magic, like) super valuable items to the player base. They are collectively know as the Alliance Tournament prizes. Despite this, the game has not emploded yet. Quite remarkable, isn't it?

Comparing:

A well known above board method of adding new content for players who 'by merit' defeated all comers and took those prizes.

A secret infusion of trillions of isk into the pockets of someone who the devs have taken a shine to.

Yeah, thanks for your contibution here bucko, that 'logic' really clears things up. Roll
Prince Kobol
#782 - 2013-10-06 09:47:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Prince Kobol
Cierra Royce wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

It doesn't but then against doesn't mean they are evil. They are a business, pure and simple.

The issue is not Somer and shouldn't be either.

It doesn't matter it if was Somer, EveMon, Dotlan, Z Killboard, Chribba etc...

What matters is that CCP are giving people items that can have an effect in game for free, in secrecy.

It raises the questions

Who else has received items?

What items did they receive?

Why did they get those items?

All relevant questions and I'll add a few thoughts of my own.

You are wrong that Somer is not the issue in the first set of cases, about the new ships being handed out by lotto.

CCP endorsed them as a upright and honest group that everyone should trust, breaching the sandbox walls and involving themselves in the games by directly supporting a player faction against all others.
Their claiming that they planned all along to hand out more such bountiful gifts to other 3rd parties looks to be nothing more than an after the event smokescreen, it's irrelevant.

In the second case, the mass handout, (but shh. don't tell anyone so we can gradually sell these all to the poor saps who had no idea new multi billion isk ships had been spawned and handed out), Somer are again most definitely are the issue.

It raises more questions:

Why this secret factionalism where CCP elevate one groups 'content' above others by providing them with tens of thousands of real world dollars worth of ingame advantage?

Is there a relationship beyond a simple business one between CCP and Somer?
Why provide a CCP endorsement of this ingame corporation above any other? GTC sales notwithstanding. Are Somer a CCP run organisation straddling the in/out of game boundary, or just a third party CCP like?

And, (hey I realise the near total reality disconnect in saying give them real things not pixelsUgh), but why give them virtual items in the ultra competitive sandbox that give their gameplay (running a isk farming roulette/lottery system) a huge advantage over their competitors, by providing rare ships and possibly other such goodies, driving traffic towards them?
Why not give them out of game promotional merchandise, that nobody at all who plays the game would have any objection to?

Seriously here, if :CCP: had given Somer those fanfest tickets as a giveaway and not the threat and promise of Ultra rare ships, I think everyone would have thought, yeah nice one, lets play a few more blinks and thanks very much CCP, woohoo I just won a Rorqual etc.

These questions do deserve answers, it'll help small time schmucks like me decide if we really want to spend our own real world dollars playing a game where the GM's and DEVs engage in favouritism and factionalism.

Just as an afterthought the EVE world is supposed to be corrupt after all, so yes I can live with a little corruption from rogue devs, it's natural, and I expect it to be cleaned up after the event like with T20.

But, the fact that the people supposed to be making and keeping the rules are openly and clandestinely engaging in factionalism, supporting SOMER and maybe others who knows, (I see no reason to suspect only SOMER of receiving ingame transfers of this nature), will, I guess, leave a lot of people questioning their long term commitment to playing EVE.

I have no issue with if CCP have a relationship with Somer.

Both are businesses. Many Businesses have relationships that are beneficial to each other.

I would have no issues if CCP gave any business non in game promotional items in order to make themselves more money by iether encouraging more people to sub or to purchase GTC's.

If CCP gave Somer say Eve Store Vouchers, great, brilliant.. no problems what so ever. Give them limited Edition Tops for example.

If CCP gave Business X something similar, again , I have no problems.

The issues in this case is that CCP gave players free items that can have an effect in game in total secrecy.
Kate stark
#783 - 2013-10-06 09:52:04 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:
To all of you (goons *sigh*) raging about how CCP has just broken the game, consider this bit of logic:

Every year CCP gives out (magic, like) super valuable items to the player base. They are collectively know as the Alliance Tournament prizes. Despite this, the game has not emploded yet. Quite remarkable, isn't it?

not sure if troll, or missing the point entirely...

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#784 - 2013-10-06 09:59:19 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:

Ice78, 78 is your IQ, right?

The Tears Must Flow

Prince Kobol
#785 - 2013-10-06 10:00:19 UTC
Vaju Enki wrote:
Desert Ice78 wrote:

Ice78, 78 is your IQ, right?

lmao
Desert Ice78
Gryphons of the Western Wind
#786 - 2013-10-06 10:01:50 UTC
dexington wrote:
Desert Ice78 wrote:

They don't secretly pick one group and give them prizes

Whats your point? One group gets super valuable items, because CCP feels they deserve it, either throught their skill piloting ships in combat, or through their work which enhances a section of the community. Please enlighten me as to what you feel I am missing.

I am a pod pilot: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/DesertIce/POD.jpg

CCP Zulu: Came expecting a discussion about computer monitors, left confused.

ST0NER SMURF
Vrix Nation
#787 - 2013-10-06 10:02:25 UTC
so any new protest lans like with the gold ammo stuff o.0

then when ppl do that i can blowup there towers and make some isk aswel ;p

♫ When your pod gets blown to bits ♪♫ And you lose your implant fits ♪\☻/ Don't worry ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ Be Happy \☻/

Yhor Pita
#788 - 2013-10-06 10:03:45 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:
Please enlighten me as to what you feel I am missing.

A brain.
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#789 - 2013-10-06 10:06:10 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:
dexington wrote:
Desert Ice78 wrote:

Whats your point? One group gets super valuable items, because CCP feels they deserve it, either throught their skill piloting ships in combat, or through their work which enhances a section of the community. Please enlighten me as to what you feel I am missing.

If you can't see the difference, i would say you are missing common sense.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#790 - 2013-10-06 10:06:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaju Enki
Desert Ice78 wrote:
dexington wrote:
Desert Ice78 wrote:

We can't help you, you must first develop some basic cognitive functions. Are you that "Tarzan" kid that lived in the wild and was raised by animals? It would explain alot...

The Tears Must Flow

Disdaine
#791 - 2013-10-06 10:07:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Disdaine
Why is Blink singled out to receive such treatment?

All they do is run a website for personal profit.

How about EFT , Pyfa , Evemon , EveUni , RvB , Eve Refinery , Dotlan , Ombey , Battleclinic , Eve Survival , Swift and Bitter DSP guide , Jump Planner , Eve-Agents , Chruker , EvE Central and many more websites, tools, individuals and alliances. All of whom have provided far more of a "service" and created more content for eve players than Blink. Myself and many others I know wouldn't still be playing eve if it weren't for these services.

So that leaves me to ask, what's so special about Blink? GTC? And who are they to be extended such trust and favoritism, didn't one of their trustworthy employees rip them off a couple of years ago and another leak this mail? What happens when Autumnries gets bored and moves on, ebank again?
Prince Kobol
#792 - 2013-10-06 10:09:39 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:
dexington wrote:
Desert Ice78 wrote:

damn.. I think this guys is serious Blink

Desert Ice78
Gryphons of the Western Wind
#793 - 2013-10-06 10:18:20 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:

^ What I said.

And here are the reply's:
Yhor Pita wrote:
A brain.

dexington wrote:

Vaju Enki wrote:
We can't help you, you must first develop some basic cognitive functions. Are you that "Tarzan" kid that lived in the wild and was raised by animals? It would explain alot...

Either you all have no ability to articulate yourselves, or you just don't know what you are so angry about. Get over yourselves.

I am a pod pilot: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/DesertIce/POD.jpg

CCP Zulu: Came expecting a discussion about computer monitors, left confused.

Kate stark
#794 - 2013-10-06 10:19:12 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:
dexington wrote:
Desert Ice78 wrote:

no, they get the items as a prize for winning the tournament. if that basic fact alone doesn't illustrate the obvious difference to you, please stop posting as you've clearly got nothing useful to contribute to the discussion as you cannot grasp the issue being discussed.

as to what you're missing; you're missing the entire point.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#795 - 2013-10-06 10:20:46 UTC
Desert Ice78 wrote:
Desert Ice78 wrote:

^ What I said.

And here are the reply's:
Yhor Pita wrote:
A brain.

dexington wrote:

Vaju Enki wrote:

Either you all have no ability to articulate yourselves, or you just don't know what you are so angry about. Get over yourselves.

Elephants

The Tears Must Flow

Amhra Rho
Accujac Elimination
#796 - 2013-10-06 10:30:23 UTC
Imagine if you're an original owner of one of these Ishukone Scorps - suddenly, you'd hate the thing. If you ever flew it, you'd have a target on your back. At the very least, you'd be the target of mass derision. Once pilots figured out you were an Ishukone owner, they'd camp you everywhere to gank your Ishukone. They'll camp you to gank you even if you're not in your Ishukone, figuring you're another SOMER Blink scam artist on the take from CCP. And you can't even sell the thing because nobody would be caught dead with one.

There's real reasons why your Eve character doesn't do /dance.

ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#797 - 2013-10-06 10:35:00 UTC
Right, since ISD Tyrozan decided to lock my thread for its "similarities" to this one, here's a call for CCP to hand over a list of everything they've given away:

Judging by the recent Guardian-Vexor/Magnate scandal, the community seems relatively unaware that CCP seems to enjoy dropping gifts on "pillars of the community". The furor that arose earlier today/yesterday over SOMER employees being given an Ishukone Scorpion each for their sterling work in making a profit and keeping the community logged in to EVE that little bit longer (before anyone starts raging about this, yes, I'm aware that they do sponsor community events e.g. RvB Ganked. However, they also get plenty of free advertising off CCP and other community groups, sooooo) seems to have indicated that players assumed this was a once-ever screwup by CCP.

Apparently not.

Looking at a thread titled "SPZ-3 'Torch'", complaining that CCP dropped some rare monocles in a roam that were acquired by Entity, it would seem that the OP is full of impotent rage at CCP's method of giving away free stuff (rare drops from CCP roams are my personal preference, involving devs and players and giving directly to the community). However. Let's have a look at a particular section of Entity's WTS post:

Entity wrote:

These are the same monocles CCP sponsored to SOMER.Blink (4 of each variety).

This would suggest that CCP has already handed over at least these ultra-rare items to SOMER. What else has been given away?

Dodixie > Hek

Heinky
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#798 - 2013-10-06 10:39:28 UTC
CCP should award me a ship for al my alts good idea's that i post in F & ID section and they implement....
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#799 - 2013-10-06 10:40:43 UTC
Will CCP please provide an official response? What happened to transparency and running things with the CSM?
Kate stark
#800 - 2013-10-06 10:44:22 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
Will CCP please provide an official response? What happened to transparency and running things with the CSM?

it's the weekend.