These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#721 - 2013-10-06 06:39:24 UTC
Abditus Cularius wrote:
The entire staff of SCL got them. Almost 100 people at fanfest got them. The poker tourney people got them. CCP have been handing them out like candy for almost a year now.

Goons are only acting all butthurt about Blink getting them because mittens has his hands stuffed up their to work their mouth.

So mad about goons! So mad!
Tarkelan
Konzil der Drei
RAZOR Alliance
#722 - 2013-10-06 06:48:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarkelan
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
http://themittani.com/news/ccp-secretly-gifted-somer-blink-ishukone-scorpions

Well not the best "news" plattform to get information.

Anyway favoritism doesn't benefit the game. Seems CCP is in need of some new guidelines and more than a kind of white paper released to the public about their internal review system, that should prevent such things. I don't see a need for rage and riot if CCP deals the right way with it.

edit:
I gave the whole thread a broader look. Seems that Goons are heavily invested in this one to lobby something in their ways.
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#723 - 2013-10-06 06:50:57 UTC
Abditus Cularius wrote:
The entire staff of SCL got them. Almost 100 people at fanfest got them. The poker tourney people got them. CCP have been handing them out like candy for almost a year now.

Goons are only acting all butthurt about Blink getting them because mittens has his hands stuffed up their to work their mouth.

Honestly, the difference is the for profit nature of the BLINK enterprise. I know that it is not a 'scam' in the classic sense. The provide the payout they promise.

That does not mean that they have the most transparent and equitable of business practices. Nor do I mean to imply that they SHOULD. They are an EVE entity afterall and if they are shilling, skimming, scamming, etc. then it is their right to do so. There is not EVE gambling regulations, nor regulatory body, that makes sure the odds are what they are purported to be. There is no entity that makes sure that the isk generated never ends up in the hands of RMT'ers or other EULA violating folks.

Hell, some of the 'payments' to BLINK employees may be subject to taxes in some countries. I doubt they are being paid. And I know that the prizes being given out in vegas are subject to federal income tax by the winners.

But the point is - not everyone in EVE view BLINK as some benign, we're all in it for the good of eve, super nice guy organization. Their 'hey don't tell anyone you got this' mail just furthers this perception of them as dishonest and secretive. That perception should have been taken into account by CCP before doing business with SomerBLINK.

It is about business ethics, transparency, and avoiding any perception of impropriety.

Giving ships to players who do things that are clear not-for-profit is both right and good. But that's just it - it should go from CCP to player, and not stop off in the hands of some third party profit generating entity. And this now has happened twice, both with these ships and with the vegas auction. Why is SomerBLINK suddenly the official prize distribution arm of CCP? This has started to look like a business relationship between CCP and SomerBLINK and given the lack of trust that a large part of the community has in SomerBLINK, this is a bad idea on CCP's part.

And I think that is all anyone is saying. Don't get into bed with SomerBLINK CCP, they don't represent the interest of the players necessarily. Give out prizes and accolades, but do not blur the line by starting to reward people who are just making an in game profit. Do not get in the business of endorsing in game gambling and/or gambling sites at all.

CCP should stay away from BLINK for the distribution of official prizes (do it themselves) and they should honestly not get involved with endorsing any third party group or site who makes large profits off of the eve community.

Somer is fine. CCP is fine. But let the two stay uninvolved as business partners (which is what they've become). CCP's only role should honestly be the continual monitoring of every transaction of SomerBLINK and the tracking of the isk paid to its employees, alt accounts, etc.. and ensuring that no obvious transgression is occurring. And that's it. They should be on them like hawks, as the room for abuse is always great.

As soon as they start rewarding them with prize granting powers and special ships - then the trust of the players in CCP's ability to monitor them in an unbiased fashion is violated.

Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#724 - 2013-10-06 07:00:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
Tarkelan wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
http://themittani.com/news/ccp-secretly-gifted-somer-blink-ishukone-scorpions

Well not the best "news" plattform to get information.

Anyway favoritism doesn't benefit the game. Seems CCP is in need of some new guidelines and more than a kind of white paper released to the public about their internal review system, that should prevent such things. I don't see a need for rage and riot if CCP deals the right way with it.

Unfortunately their track record is that they only deal with it when there is rage and riot.

You are right in that the legal/internal auditing folks at CCP should get wind of this and say, "we did what?" They should be asking a lot of questions about who these SomerBLINK guys are and the legal implications of handing them prizes to give out on behalf of CCP that have a value as high as a trip to fanfest (which is taxable in the US by the way).

Not to mention lotteries and prize drawings for such high value prizes in the US are bound by other legal constraints. You can't simply deny people the right to participate on IP address, etc.. It must be open to all and not bound to any purchase and therefore I am not even sure you can require people to be an EVE subscriber.

Why would a legitimate business organization hand its prizes and prize giving authority over to a third party website that is designed to make in game profit and likely operates in a legal gray zone in regards to its payments to employees. This is all uncharted, dangerous territory. Then on the heels of this, they reward the same organization with payment/reward in the form of faction ships.

People do not trust SomerBLINK, and they don't like CCP being so closely tied to them.

Anyone with half a brain for legal/ethical business practices and risk management (i.e. avoiding doing dumb things) would have seen this was a bad idea. Yet they didn't.

So how can anyone expect them to fix it without "rage and riot"

(Sorry for the second post)
Riyal
invidious Squid
#725 - 2013-10-06 07:00:54 UTC
If the ships purpose is to be given to fansites for helping the community then why were they not given out to all at the same time?

So Somer get them when they're still rare and worth a ridiculous amount, and (for example) chribba gets one when they're more common and so not worth so much? That's a really terrible and stupid system.

And why the secrecy? I check the eve forums/site/dev blogs everyday and I didn't know about this.

The whole situation looks like favouritism, as a customer I am disappointed by the way this has been handled.

In hindsight my post should have had more psssshhhh

Pingu
Cosmos Butt Pirates
#726 - 2013-10-06 07:13:04 UTC
I dont want a statement from CCP-the-company or the normal CCP posters but would like someone from CCP IA to tell me why this is or is not wrong from their perspective.

Gave CCP the benefit of the doubt over other issues, almost quit after :18 months: then CCP turned it around, but this is low even for CCP.

Have started allowing my accounts to expire, three down and nine to go, and hope to hear something about this from CCP soon beyond the crap response to the other somer thread. Make me want to stay.
Yhor Pita
#727 - 2013-10-06 07:15:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Yhor Pita
I've seen more respectably run private game servers. CCP must be gifting stuff to entities that CCP envies, because those entities run a better business and have a great deal more intelligence than CCP as a whole.

It's like people donating money to Microsoft so Microsoft can buy, scam, or steal their next extremely lucrative venture... just to see how large MS executives' accounts can get and have a feeling of pride when there's a monopoly after MS buys out all competition, spreading it's interests into every aspect of every living human being's life.

I know, I know. This is just a game, WhySoSRS? My only answer to that would be: "because I loathe stupidity from people I have given my support to in the recent past". I see someone I don't know do something incredibly stupid and I just shake my head and ignore it. I see a friend do something incredibly stupid and I am inclined to tell them just how stupid their actions are. If my friend's actions are immediately detrimental to their health or the health of someone I know, I'd be inclined to knock their teeth out, or get my teeth knocked out trying.

CCP needs a trip to the dentist.
Josef Djugashvilis
#728 - 2013-10-06 07:18:45 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Ra Jackson wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
because people were under the false assumption that it was a Legacy item which it is not and were paying that much.

though now we know better and its not...

but goons keep yelling 20 billion 520 billion 647 quajillion!

as if saying number means anything.

See, CCP? This is the customer you will be keeping after the dust settles. People that don't comprehend the simplest ideas of a market.

lmao notice hows goons and thier respective alts are the only ones upset here... funny they are like the tea party of eve

Sir, you insult my good name.

I am not, nor I have I been a member or an alt of the goons.

In fact, whilst I respect them for what they do in the game, I pretty much loathe them in the forums, the silly and childish name calling they indulge in, sperg, pubbie, etc is just annoying.

However, I stand four square with all those who have complained about the CCP - Somer Blink debacle, including the goon posters.

You are welcome to troll, but you need to raise your game, you are just bad at it.

This is not a signature.

Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#729 - 2013-10-06 07:18:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
Drezen Tor wrote:
Sure, Goons are upset over several hundred billion in giveaways. Yeah, that make sense. Nothing to do with the method or the seemingly arbitrary selection or anything.

You might look closer and realize there are a lot of non-goons upset as well. It is expected you would see more goons/cfc members because of their size and therefore they represent a larger percentage of eve.

But since you clearly don't trust Goons, let's go that way:

SomerBLINK is an in game entity that is not entirely trusted by everyone in the EVE community. So how would you feel if Goons or some other organization was given these to put out on a lottery through their websites. You don't need to join Goons mind you, you'll you need to do is register with the in game browser at their website and you can enter.

I am pretty sure Goons have a decent track record of paying out their SRP reliably, so why shouldn't they be charged with giving away a few thousand dollars in trips to Iceland?
Rumtin
Imperium Technologies
Sigma Grindset
#730 - 2013-10-06 07:22:13 UTC
Geez, gold magnates & guardian-vexors, now underhanded ishukone scorpions. What's next, Revenants? CCP's favoritism is really starting to get out of hand.
sally Deninard
mss industry
#731 - 2013-10-06 07:27:56 UTC
I left this thread 8hrs ago for some sleep and am just checking in.
CCP had updated kotaku 8hrs ago but still nothing here :)

Doesn`t anyone find the fact that they can take the time to pacify the 3rd party gaming press, but not bother with the playerbase the real problem here?

It`s all interesting for me, i`m wondering who gets the short straw :)
Kate stark
#732 - 2013-10-06 07:30:14 UTC
sally Deninard wrote:

Doesn`t anyone find the fact that they can take the time to pacify the 3rd party gaming press, but not bother with the playerbase the real problem here?

to be fair you can tell a third party website who have never touched the game anything and they'll say "oh right, so it's not that big of a deal" where as the actual players, on the other hand, will require more than "it's worse than a regular scorpion" to straighten this one out.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#733 - 2013-10-06 07:30:17 UTC
sally Deninard wrote:

The playerbase is just a problem to be dealt with. As you say, they're the real problem here.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#734 - 2013-10-06 07:31:32 UTC
sally Deninard wrote:

The CCP Response amounts to:

"But the ship isn't even good."

Anyone else still thinking they just don't get it?
Prince Kobol
#735 - 2013-10-06 07:34:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Prince Kobol
Pak Narhoo wrote:
sally Deninard wrote:
kotaku

[UPDATE] An EVE Online spokesman responds that "The Ishukone Scorpion was created for exactly this sort of purpose—a promo ship for giveaways and special occasions to be used on multiple levels. It has been given out several times already (including some very analogous to this one) and will be given out again in the future for contests, awards, charity-related efforts, 'thanks' and more."

Additionally, despite this spacecraft's unique skin, it is "actually worse gameplay-wise than the regular Scorpion and refines to only 1 Tritanium—so it is little more than a hangar ornament." The reason it's in-game price is so high because of the craft's current rarity. "Yet as more are introduced I am pretty sure the market price will lower based on total supply, as we see after the first few days any ship has been added to EVE."

Community concerns over the use of the ship as a thank-you have been "carefully noted," and the game is "looking into creating a fuller program for those celebrating the amazing EVE community."

It seems CCP have confirmed this to a 3rd party site, but the community isn`t getting an answer

Quote:
An EVE Online spokesman responds that "The Ishukone Scorpion was created for exactly this sort of purpose—a promo ship for giveaways and special occasions to be used on multiple levels.

So now CCP has dug its heels in and resorted to lying?Shocked

Because as far as I can remember that ship was supposed to be a test, to see how many CCP could sell from within the (gold ammo) NEX store as a "NEX store exclusive" item. There was no single hair on their collectives head that where thinking back then, "yeah, lets give these away!"

This whole thing stinks.
Bah and indeed how low have you sunk CCP?
You've clearly nothing learned from the lessons of the past.

And nope, I'm not a goon, nor a goon alt, nor a pet. Just someone who's slowly getting fed up with this company that seems to excel at falling on its face, over and over again. And they just never seem to learn.Evil

CCP are not lying, they stated a while ago that the The Ishukone Scorpion was going to be used as a gift to give those people who run 3rd Party Sites.

I also know that other people other than Somer have also received these in the past.

The issue is not so much the ships themselves, but the fact they have given to a entity which is business, a business which aim is to make money from Eve players and they did so in secrecy.

It then raises the questions,

Who else has received gifts ?

What were those gifts?

Just to note, I have no issue with Somer at all, if anything I congratulate them on having the idea and turning it into a successful business, one which has been running for years now.
Kate stark
#736 - 2013-10-06 07:34:33 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:

considering they followed it up with "looking into creating a fuller program for those celebrating the amazing EVE community." then yeah, it sounds like they have no clue what they've done wrong.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#737 - 2013-10-06 07:36:37 UTC
Kate stark wrote:
Argus Sorn wrote:

considering they followed it up with "looking into creating a fuller program for those celebrating the amazing EVE community." then yeah, it sounds like they have no clue what they've done wrong.

They got it, pretty sure of that. So much so they decided to

do it HARDER

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#738 - 2013-10-06 07:37:48 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:
sally Deninard wrote:

The CCP Response amounts to:

"But the ship isn't even good."

They're hoping you don't.

Kate stark
#739 - 2013-10-06 07:37:56 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Kate stark wrote:
Argus Sorn wrote:

They got it, pretty sure of that. So much so they decided to

do it HARDER

well, if you're going to do something. do it properly.

Prince Kobol
#740 - 2013-10-06 07:41:53 UTC
Kate stark wrote:
Argus Sorn wrote:

The stupid thing is, they should of had a program with a set of gifs already in place and listed on the forums for all to see.

If they had then we wouldn't be in this situation now.

So when CCP announced that they wanted to work and reward 3rd Party Entities, at that point they should of either included or made a new dev blog stating the list of gifts that you could receive.

Then when ever any of these gifts were issued, create a new blog stating who got what and why/