These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#481 - 2013-10-05 20:32:57 UTC
Axhind wrote:
Always exceptionally nice to see CCP tell players that it's not the actions in game that matter, it's not the fighting, spying, drama and everything else that makes EVE such a great game that matters. It's the running lottery for crazy profits.
Why the hell did CFC fight the huge fountain, delve, querious and PB war when we could have just sucked up to CCP and gotten rewards that are worth more than all the moons in that space.

The whole appeal of EVE is that ones actions in game matter. That everything you have you have to fight for in game. I guess that CCP showed us just how much all that means. Not a damn thing. Of all the entities in EVE they pick a lottery to shower with mad isk. Had it been Chriba, EVEmon developers, EFT developers or even EVEUni but no, it's a damn lottery that is already making crazy isk for it's owner.

After all this I wonder what exactly is the reason for all of us to pay every month (one way or the other) and fight in game when CCP apparently feels that they can ignore all those achievements in game and shower random party with free isk. This is far worse than T20 scandal as bob was at least creating content in game instead of being a parasitic lottery with good PR and even better contacts to CCP devs.

PS: thanks CCP for negating all player accomplishments in game in such a bold way. Ballsy. I hope it bites you in the ass as you deserve!

convert themittanidotcom into a gtcselling center clearly

must sell more stuff for ccp

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Kuni Oichi
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#482 - 2013-10-05 20:40:26 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:

convert themittanidotcom into a gtcselling center clearly

must sell more stuff for ccp

Thank you for mining in an interdiction zone/piloting a freighter afk/flying into our space/being someone we're at war with
Prior to your imminent destruction, purchase of a GTC through http://themittani.com/ will allow you to retain your ship.

You may rent systems in our space for a reasonable amount of GTC purchases per month, please refer to www.goonGTCrentals.com for details.

We take our responsibility as authorised GTC sellers seriously

(I shouldn't have to say this is not a serious post, but given this is Eve-O I probably should).
jackncoke
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#483 - 2013-10-05 20:48:06 UTC
It seems CCP is once again going through old paths of fail ...

First EVE employee gave T2 BPO to BOB.

It takes years to recuperate from that fail.

Then they decide to go full re*ard and make WiS abortion go live with NEX gate affair . Monocles become a "thing" , Hillmar makes a public apology, CCP gets on their knees and says one loud - WE ARE SORRY FOR BEING RET*RDS.

And all is good in land of EVE. Players have fun in what seems to be a sandbox, but was never one.

What do you mean its not sandbox ?

Well CCP decides to give out free stuff via SOMER Blink, stuff that can be transfered to cold hard ISK.
But even thats not enough, they decide to give out rare ships to employees of third party gambling service that happened to be players them self.

Its like CCP hates their community and decides to go full mental jacket every now and then, spit in paying customers eye and say - FU PEASENT, THESE GUYS ARE AWSOME, YOUR A MAGGOT. NOW GO SELL PLEX TO FINANCE YOUR SHIP LOSSES.

Well Fu*k you too CCP
Naradius
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#484 - 2013-10-05 20:49:43 UTC
At the end of the day, CCP can do what they want with their game...saying that:

“Please do not immediately run to the forums and WTS the ship, 30 of them appearing all at once would be weird,” writes Mahm, “This is a really unique thing CCP is doing that doesn't directly map to anything they have done in the past, and we don't want to mess up that future relationship-- Navigator has already offered to help promote our events in the future.”

This comment in the Somer Blink mail, proves that:

1. Either Somer knew it could cause a backlash within the player base...
or
2. They were told by CCP to keep it quiet, because they knew it would cause a backlash.

There is no doubt Somer Blink supports many things within the community, but so do many other people and entities. Somer Blink was not initially created, to support EVE based events, it was made to create isk...eventually having the isk to support various events is a side effect. A beneficial side effect, because it acts as advertising, that can generate even more isk.

It is quite obvious CCP's "idea" of a community site is a lot different to mine.
I take it a great community site in CCP's view, is a site that creates a vast amount of ISK and Plex revenue...and not a site that actually provides the player base with valuable help and information.

For me, the sites ran by Chribba are TRUE community sites. These sites are run with an altruistic vision...no isk is asked for to gain access to the info and are in no way, an in-game business. But this goes for many fan based sites or apps, be it EFT, EVEMON etc, etc.

There is only one reason, CCP gave SOMER Blink these ships - because they are a huge real world money earner for CCP!!

Hmmm, it just also occurred to me, would the owner of a TRUE community site, put their own personal monetary (in-game or out of game) gain above that of the community? No they probably wouldn't! It seems SOMER and CCP are as bad as each other Ugh

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#485 - 2013-10-05 20:50:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
So ISK/Endorsements flow from CCP to BLINK.

From BLINK ISK and PLEX flow to their 'employees'.

ISK and PLEX have real world value.

So all these folks being paid plex, do they pay taxes on them? In the US, I think that would depend on the total cash value of material received. But you do indeed pay taxes on the cash value of prizes and goods in kind.

Where is BLINK based? In the US? Given the total cash value of the prizes they handle, I wonder what their tax obligation is?

The point is they are dealing in a huge amount of cash value prizes, and no one trusts that CCP can be sure that the EULA is never violated along the way.

Because of this, CCP should be avoiding BLINK like the plague. In fact, a prudent business would have issued a statement some time ago saying something along these lines of them not being able to endorse nor vouch for third party internet sites that promote gambling and/or investing with in game currency. The transactions involved are simply of a nature that they are unable to 100% vouch for their integrity and business practices.

Any halfway intelligent business/legal person would keep CCP quite far from Somer. Have the CCP lawyers examined this relationship and any potential liability it puts CCP at risk for?

Once again - I doubt it. This is just the actions of an individual who likely should have have been trusted with this sort of decision making power.

It'd be nice to hear from Hilmar on this.
Alt Rotsuda
Doomheim
#486 - 2013-10-05 20:51:45 UTC
Holy ****, I better dont tell anyone how many billion ISK have been indirectly been given out at this years gamescom in form of faction rookie frigates. That would totally get everyone mad.

Oh no, it wouldn´t, just like buying PLEX isnt seen as pay to win, because ISK dont make you win EVE.

Oh, but here people have a 20+ threadnought because someone got ISK by CCP and has now won EVE.
Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#487 - 2013-10-05 21:01:46 UTC
Alt Rotsuda wrote:
Holy ****, I better dont tell anyone how many billion ISK have been indirectly been given out at this years gamescom in form of faction rookie frigates. That would totally get everyone mad.

Oh no, it wouldn´t, just like buying PLEX isnt seen as pay to win, because ISK dont make you win EVE.

Oh, but here people have a 20+ threadnought because someone got ISK by CCP and has now won EVE.

gosh maybe there's something different about this particular situation but oh well thinking requires effort so yeah just keep posting bro
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#488 - 2013-10-05 21:02:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
Alt Rotsuda wrote:

You misunderstand. No one has an issue with CCP giving gifts directly to players. They should do this, it is using a third party site, who's purpose is to make a profit for themselves to do this. CCP should absolutely give away things, run raffles, etc., but it should do so independent of Somer.

The more I mention this to people, the more I have heard of special ships and give aways being handed to Somer to "give out". I am not sure if any of them are valid, but I'd like to know.

Anyway, prizes should flow from CCP to the players without directly endorsing or rewarding an in-game profit making entity in the process.

Johnny Marzetti wrote:
Alt Rotsuda wrote:

gosh maybe there's something different about this particular situation but oh well thinking requires effort so yeah just keep posting bro

Yeah, Johnny summed it up better.
Seras VictoriaX
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#489 - 2013-10-05 21:02:56 UTC
Sorry

# TOS changes

# Sponsoring blink period

# Now just directly giving them 100's of billions worth of ships.(that they dont have to give out to the public)

-6 accounts. I thought this game was different. No you cant have my stuff. (been playing 11months!)
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#490 - 2013-10-05 21:03:55 UTC
So ccp is now going to give everyone an Obama scorp on nov 19... cuss thats the only way to get the publords to shut up

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#491 - 2013-10-05 21:04:07 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:
The point is they are dealing in a huge amount of cash value prizes, and no one trusts that CCP can be sure that the EULA is never violated along the way.

Because of this, CCP should be avoiding BLINK like the plague. In fact, a prudent business would have issued a statement some time ago saying something along these lines of them not being able to endorse nor vouch for third party internet sites that promote gambling and/or investing with in game currency. The transactions involved are simply of a nature that they are unable to 100% vouch for their integrity and business practices.

I thought ccp confirmed that somer was like ... 100% honest

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Sakaron Hefdover
Perkone
Caldari State
#492 - 2013-10-05 21:08:24 UTC
I thought ccp was 100% honest
Naradius
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#493 - 2013-10-05 21:12:00 UTC
Sakaron Hefdover wrote:

They also said that they would be totally transparent from now on....a couple of years ago.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Kuni Oichi
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#494 - 2013-10-05 21:13:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuni Oichi
Alt Rotsuda wrote:

I really shouldn't bite but responding to the crazies is a personal weakness of mine.

Try actually reading this thread, there are a lot of very cogent points put forwards which explain why CCP's actions are bad for the game, unethical and open for debate.

Or, of course, you could be all internet hero and make your offhand 'cooler than you' posts without considering that as in the past, with Incarna and T20, CCP is doing material damage to their brand.

CCP has gained positive press from events such as 6VDTH, Asakai, Burn Jita

CCP has gained negative press events such as T20 & Incarna

This event, as a followup to CCP's publicly known dispensing of ludicrous amounts of valuable stuff to Somer has already caused negative press. There's a not inconsiderable chance that this is going to spread and grow traction in the gaming media. CCP: unethical. CCP: Dev favouritism, CCP: insert your phrase here.

As with the ToS changes, the concern being shown throughout this thread, the reason for the article and all of the words written attacking CCP for their decisions are done because people care about game (terrible though it is). Goons have a lot of history with CCP bias (directed towards our enemies), maybe there's more of a kneejerk towards it than with most other alliances, but that kneejerk is done because CCP has a history of being biased. It has a history of terrible PR decisions, of interfering in its own sandbox and disregarding the views of its players.

That's why the CSM was formed, with great fanfare and pronouncements on how progressive CCP were doing at the time.

So now where are we?

ToS changes: No consultation with the CSM, slipped in by stealth
Somer Blink prizes: No consultation with the CSM, not announced by CCP until a threadnaught started
Somer Blink freebies: No consultation with the CSM, recipients told to keep it secret.

From conversations with CSM members, from their blogs and comments it's obvious that they feel passionately about the bits of the game they get to be involved in, but CCP is shutting them out of the bits of the game where it's acting in an unethical fashion. They're deliberately avoiding raising the issues they should be discussing, those issues that go back to the very founding of the CSM. Developer bias.

As for your glib off-hand, internet cool comment, this isn't about people 'winning eve' because of their freebies from CCP, it's about CCP being biased and showing favouritism to a particular player corporation on more than one occasion. It's about them being secretive about it. It's about them giving an unprecedented level of support to a gambling site that exists to benefit its owners and employees.

But if you truly don't care about that, if you really do not care that CCP will happily cheat their own game, then simply stop reading the threads where they're being brought to task for doing so, and get back to complaining about falcon, or warp stabs in FW or whatever it is you do care about.
Alt Rotsuda
Doomheim
#495 - 2013-10-05 21:19:26 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:

Anyway, prizes should flow from CCP to the players without directly endorsing or rewarding an in-game profit making entity in the process.

CCP has always endorsed in-game profit making entities. Everyone of us is an in-game profit making entity.
CCP has always advertised in-game profit making entities. Everyone of us is an in-game profit making entitiy.
People ask "What if SOMER uses the ISK to hurt some big nullsec entity?"
Why did you never ask if someone that got several billions on the gamescom will hurt some nullsec entity?

Noone cried till now.

Kosakei Sanko
Interstellar Vacancy
Loose Affiliations
#496 - 2013-10-05 21:20:40 UTC
Hell, I applied to Somer blah blah blah Corp today! Taking and counting other people's ISK while getting paid in ISK, PLEX AND limited edition ships, all funded and sanctioned by the supposedly impartial developers of the game? Sign me up! I wish real-life work were this stupidly profitable!

Gimme a unique T2 Khanid battleship called the Castigator and I'd be willing to forget all this happened.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#497 - 2013-10-05 21:21:53 UTC
Naradius wrote:
Sakaron Hefdover wrote:

They also said that they would be totally transparent from now on....a couple of years ago.

Oooo snap.

Quality posting here guys Big smile

HugeMidget Tokila
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#498 - 2013-10-05 21:22:36 UTC
This entire affair is beyond outrageous and violates any trust the playerbase has left in CCP. Not only should the responsible CCP employee be disciplined, the entirety of the Somer Blink organization should be banned and all assets destroyed. Nothing less than that would even come close in making restoration for this colossal **** up.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#499 - 2013-10-05 21:23:02 UTC
Now this is a threadnaught.

I bet it never crossed their minds when they gave away the ships of what possibly could go wrong.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#500 - 2013-10-05 21:23:24 UTC
Kosakei Sanko wrote:
Hell, I applied to Somer blah blah blah Corp today! Taking and counting other people's ISK while getting paid in ISK, PLEX AND limited edition ships, all funded and sanctioned by the supposedly impartial developers of the game? Sign me up! I wish real-life work were this stupidly profitable!

They're partial to somer, so you're in good hands.

Please sign an NDA to avoid leaks in the future tia