These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#381 - 2013-10-05 17:02:30 UTC
Jita riot underway. Join the party everyone!
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#382 - 2013-10-05 17:02:42 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
Wow. As soon as I read the Mittani report, I literally closed my game because I felt sick. What a crock of ****, CCP. Seriously. What the hell is wrong with you.

This. I don't know if I want to be here anymore if CCP is giving out billions of ISK to arbitrarily chosen in-game groups, under the table. What else has been given out? Who else received this "gift" from CCP? Are the people we are waging a war against perhaps funded by the devs? What's the point in all the empire building, alliance leadership, logistics, and efforts of literally thousands of people, when this other group just gets their money handed to them for free, spawned from thin air?
Montmazar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#383 - 2013-10-05 17:03:11 UTC
The only reason I can think for showing favoritism to a gambling site of all things is that said gambling site, unlike such notable freeloaders as Dotlan, EFT, and Evemon, is that the gambling site in question undoubtedly drives a very large amount of players to buy plex.

That's the only rational reason I can figure for this. And even that rational reason is stupid. It's bad business. It's focusing on trying to get more money out of your existing players rather than bringing more players into the game. Exact same mistake CCP made with the monocles and thousand dollar pants.

If CCP was showing favoritism to entities that actually helped find and retain new players, that would at least make sense. But as it is, this is just another sad confirmation that the business team at CCP thinks the only way forward is milking the veterans.
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#384 - 2013-10-05 17:04:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
Dring Dingle wrote:

Somer blink is amazing and is good for the eve community. FACT.

Should CCP reward community web pages like somer? YES.

SHOULD, CCP reward them with(effectively) isk. HELL NO.

Find another way to reward them..

Hell I'd even be fine with them getting a 1 year free subscription (not plex) .... Least that cannot be used in game to screw with the sandbox.... Common CCP.... You are better than this!

This guy gets it. +1

Token gifts folks, token gifts.

Oddly enough in an online game, things with real life value (such as Iceland airfare) are seen as token gifts by your customers. In game items, of absolutely no real world value (we like to think) are not acceptable as they muck with the sandbox. That mucking leads to an appearance of IN GAME impropriety, raises doubts about Somer's legitimacy as a PLAYER organization, and otherwise ruins people's game experience.

CCP should not be in the business of effective endorsing these sites, and the lottery scandal along with this basically seems to amount to a business parternship with Somer, in which case all their isk should be removed from the game and they should function purely via real world contract with CCP.

Montmazar wrote:
The only reason I can think for showing favoritism to a gambling site of all things is that said gambling site, unlike such notable freeloaders as Dotlan, EFT, and Evemon, is that the gambling site in question undoubtedly drives a very large amount of players to buy plex.

That's the only rational reason I can figure for this. And even that rational reason is stupid. It's bad business. It's focusing on trying to get more money out of your existing players rather than bringing more players into the game. Exact same mistake CCP made with the monocles and thousand dollar pants.

If CCP was showing favoritism to entities that actually helped find and retain new players, that would at least make sense. But as it is, this is just another sad confirmation that the business team at CCP thinks the only way forward is milking the veterans.

In which case, if CCP wants to profit from a relationship with Somer (and Somer profit from a relationship with CCP) then Somer should be terminated as a player run, in gam, isk making entity and they should function via a real world business relationship with CCP. Basically CCP would pay them to run lotteries for them. But any isk paid to the lottery would go to CCP. This would honestly be great for the game as it would remove a huge amount of isk from the game. Somer would then be paid real-world currency for the contract of running lotteries and they could pay their employees, etc. in cash.

Honestly, this bizarre proxy economy, where CCP pays a company in ISK (or through endorsement) and that company pays its employees in isk, but isk that has real world cash value, is a little sketchy (if not illegal in some way).
Helicity Boson
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#385 - 2013-10-05 17:10:03 UTC
Welp. it appears to be up on kotaku now. http://t.co/PLURl652Ci
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#386 - 2013-10-05 17:11:54 UTC
Montmazar wrote:

Never not milk.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#387 - 2013-10-05 17:12:07 UTC
Eram Fidard wrote:
Anomaly One wrote:
WELL IT CAN HAPPEN. Except there's nothing logical about a SOMER employee doing such a thing when it hurts his corporation and his future benefit just so he can "expose" ccp because CCP will no longer endorse SOMER since they can't be trusted to keep information.

"I GIVE YOU 50 bill to keep quiet and I will keep on giving you (FREE MONEY) if you don't speak of this"
"go go whistleblower"

???

Yes, and MINIATURE UNICORNS CAN FLY AROUND MY BEDROOM AT NIGHT. IT CAN HAPPEN.

Never heard of this thing called a conscience?

well if you take drugs it DOES happen

Except logic doesn't apply to conscience unless it somehow distinguishes GOOD FROM BAD , I bet when the somer employee asked "what is the most logically thing to do, I KNOW blow this whole scandal out so I can lose out on future ISK so if you're going to argue don't use "logically he did it because of conscience" because there is no ******* logic in it to do it, no benefit in fact he benefits more from keeping quiet, nothing but making this giant flame thread which i'm quite enjoying, he just did it as a catharsis Lol for his conscience

Just like the guy that stole 45bill and gave it back to Red Frog, he gained nothing and lost everything.

Cool thread and people say the goons don't provide content Big smile
Mra Rednu
Oyonata Gate Defence Force.
#388 - 2013-10-05 17:12:11 UTC
Montmazar wrote:

The only reason I can think for showing favoritism to a gambling site of all things is that said gambling site, unlike such notable freeloaders as Dotlan, EFT, and Evemon, is that the gambling site in question undoubtedly drives a very large amount of players to buy plex
SO THEY CAN PUT ISK DIRECTLY INTO GAMBLING SITES WALLET.

Added a rather important bit.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#389 - 2013-10-05 17:13:14 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
Wow. As soon as I read the Mittani report, I literally closed my game because I felt sick. What a crock of ****, CCP. Seriously. What the hell is wrong with you.

This. I don't know if I want to be here anymore if CCP is giving out billions of ISK to arbitrarily chosen in-game groups, under the table. What else has been given out? Who else received this "gift" from CCP? Are the people we are waging a war against perhaps funded by the devs? What's the point in all the empire building, alliance leadership, logistics, and efforts of literally thousands of people, when this other group just gets their money handed to them for free, spawned from thin air?

Clearly TEST wasn't getting isk. They need it.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#390 - 2013-10-05 17:14:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
Boycott SomerBLINK folks. Get your friends to do the same.

They are 50% of this problem, and at this point, through accepting these gifts, in the pocket of CCP. They do not deserve your 'business'.
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#391 - 2013-10-05 17:17:50 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:
Boycott SomerBLINK folks. Get your friends to do the same.

They are 50% of this problem, and at this point, through accepting these gifts, in the pocket of CCP. They do not deserve your 'business'.

Dude... If ccp offered you 20b+ isk would you take it? I'm going to answer the question for you and say yes, yes you would take it.

So, how exactly is it somer blinks fault that ccp fed them possibly over a trillion isk? CCP owns this one, in it's entirety.
Kirryan
Steel Winters Stellar Enterprises
#392 - 2013-10-05 17:17:55 UTC
I echo the sentiments of a few here.

SOMER is good for eve.

Nothing wrong with CCP rewarding SOMER.

But for the love of all things shiny and explosive - DONT do it with Game items or ISK - send them some T-Shirts or a USB Hub rifter or something...
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#393 - 2013-10-05 17:24:15 UTC
Kirryan wrote:

SOMER is good for eve.

But for the love of all things shiny and explosive - DONT do it with Game items or ISK - send them some T-Shirts or a USB Hub rifter or something...

THIS. +1.

Do not read my posts wrong either. I do not deny that Somer is potentially good for EVE (I am not versed enough in economics to comment on this), nor that CCP should be able to reward people who run third party sites.

But keep it out of the game. And keep it to things of little value. Doing so removes the impression of impropriety and it avoids meddling in the in game economy.
Dalto Bane
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#394 - 2013-10-05 17:25:33 UTC
This still continues to not bother me much. I do not view "Sombergate" and the T20 scandal as being one in the same. One is a third party entity that provides a gambling service to the Eve community and is being rewarded with CCP spawned items, while the other was a CCP employee who was providing his alt player alliance with CCP spawned items.

I for one, would like to see more transparency in the way CCP rewards third party entities and perhaps a CSM review and vote at the beginning of the year of what gifts are appropriate for what cause, but I certainly do not think the a reward program of some kind should cease all together.

Something to think about in my closing; If CCP wanted, they could dissolve Somber Blink as we know it, then hire them as CCP third party employer/volunteer who would then act much like an ISD volunteer with full oversight from CCP and continue to do exactly what they are doing now. Then what? I left this very broad, but I can see something like this being one of the directions that CCP could go as an answer to all the cries of foul that this issues is causing. I do not wish to be viewed as trolling, these opinions are my own, and I assure you I have been persuaded many times that my opinion was misinformed and/or wrong, but has never been by an unintelligent response.Smile

Drops Mic

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#395 - 2013-10-05 17:26:18 UTC
Kirryan wrote:

SOMER is good for eve.

Get T-shirt, sell T-shirt, buy PLEXes with that money, buy sandwich with the change, get ISK.
Get USB hub, sell USB hub, buy PLEXes with that money, buy sandwich with the change, get ISK.
Get Ishukone Scorpion, sell Ishukone Scorpion, get ISK, no sandwich.

The only difference of giving away non gameplay altering items is that - there's no sandwich! It's not like CCP has given away ISK from thin air - the ISK would in this case come from collectors who maid it in various game supported ways.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#396 - 2013-10-05 17:26:38 UTC
Ed Tekki wrote:
Dean of Grief University
Proffessor Edward Tekki BA(teerz) MA PHd

Dean Tekki;

In the interests of encouraging and improving the state of higher education throughout New Eden, I offer you greetings and salutations. I also offer some advice:

"Professor" has only 1 'f'.
The abbreviation for a Doctorate is "PhD", not "PHd".

Conveniently, a spellchecker like those built into most primitive web browsers will catch both of these errors. As you are a highly educated man, and one whose job entails a vast multitude - indeed, one might say a plethora - of important, highly-important detail-oriented tasks, I can only assume that these errors are in fact the result of laziness on the part of your secretary. Please have her shot. As she is, doubtless, in possession of the same capsuleer/infantry implants as the rest of us, simply make sure her clone is up to date, and it can be considered a warning execution. Thank you.

Sincerely;
Arrendis Culome, adjunct, Pedants Without Borders
Charlie Firpol
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#397 - 2013-10-05 17:27:21 UTC
I just want to remind everyone raging atm and thinking about leaving the game, I would be pleased to take care of your stuff until you return. Just contract it to me. Thanks a lot.

The Butcher of Black Rise - eve-radio.com

TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#398 - 2013-10-05 17:29:19 UTC
I hope all you whiners are happy. SOMER is doing Scorpion promos just for the occasion :)

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Sirane Elrek
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#399 - 2013-10-05 17:29:33 UTC
Charlie Firpol wrote:
I just want to remind everyone raging atm and thinking about leaving the game, I would be pleased to take care of your stuff until you return. Just contract it to me. Thanks a lot.

original
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#400 - 2013-10-05 17:41:53 UTC
Dring Dingle wrote:

Somer blink is amazing and is good for the eve community. FACT.

Should CCP reward community web pages like somer? YES.

SHOULD, CCP reward them with(effectively) isk. HELL NO.

Find another way to reward them..

Hell I'd even be fine with them getting a 1 year free subscription (not plex) .... Least that cannot be used in game to screw with the sandbox.... Common CCP.... You are better than this!

so if ccp just gave them RL money that would be cool...

but because people bitched about the NEX store and can not buy the vanity scorp they are upset?

get over it... move on...

and if you cant GTFO!

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.