These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#301 - 2013-10-05 15:02:28 UTC
Literally Space Moses wrote:

Who the **** is going to release their full API to you? (Spoiler: no one)

Then this is pure unverified information and pure rumour.
If this is a real incident, and the person is serious about exposing CCP's actions, then they damn well should be prepared to put their API where their mouth is to prove the data.

Otherwise it's simply a few screen shots and some allegations. Much like bad kill mails, scams, and all sorts of other things run in EVE.
Truth be told I'm disgusted at all the people who have simply swallowed this story whole. Especially those who have elsewhere claimed to be thinkers & after the best for EVE. The best for EVE here is a real expose, not a lynch mob out to burn the first thing they can lay their hands on.

Who that Expose will out, I don't know at this point, I haven't taken sides. Because the information simply isn't available to take sides. But if CCP comes out and says this is a pure hoax, unless they release their API showing the evidence, I'm going to side with CCP at that point. Because so far their word has actually been fairly good compared to some random making allegations but not prepared to back them with actual evidence.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#302 - 2013-10-05 15:02:52 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Can somebody please explain how this is not literally the same as T20?
It's not a gift that will keep on giving in quite the same sense.
That's about it.
Koby Botick
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#303 - 2013-10-05 15:04:08 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Can somebody please explain how this is not literally the same as T20?

T20 was kept by all sides under the rags for longer.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#304 - 2013-10-05 15:06:04 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

If this is a real incident, and the person is serious about exposing CCP's actions, then they damn well should be prepared to put their API where their mouth is to prove the data.

Otherwise it's simply a few screen shots and some allegations. Much like bad kill mails, scams, and all sorts of other things run in EVE.
Truth be told I'm disgusted at all the people who have simply swallowed this story whole. Especially those who have elsewhere claimed to be thinkers & after the best for EVE. The best for EVE here is a real expose, not a lynch mob out to burn the first thing they can lay their hands on.

Who that Expose will out, I don't know at this point, I haven't taken sides. Because the information simply isn't available to take sides. But if CCP comes out and says this is a pure hoax, unless they release their API showing the evidence, I'm going to side with CCP at that point. Because so far their word has actually been fairly good compared to some random making allegations but not prepared to back them with actual evidence.

Or they can just undock the ship.
Bronco Platz
Doomheim
#305 - 2013-10-05 15:06:21 UTC
Quote:
But if CCP comes out and says this is a pure hoax

If this would be the case, they did so allready.

This signature is under NDA. Sorry.

Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#306 - 2013-10-05 15:09:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Johnny Marzetti
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Rob Crowley wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Of course all this rage will ensure that nobody gets anything in the future.
Well great, then it was good for something. In case you haven't noticed we want that nobody arbitrarily gets ingame stuff in the future.

Quote:
Life is not fair. Deal with it.
Oh look, it's that silly "argument" again from last thread. I don't care how fair life is. I care how fair Eve is. Cause that's what I'm paying for.

All I am doing is echoing the things that are said to noobs and carebears who get ganked.

Everybody has their limit for how much unfairness they can boost their self esteem with.

What I will now do is, not change my opinion no matter what you post.

I'm watching the people who normally have the upper hand in telling others how unfair things are, and relishing in it, and seeing them act like a 2-month missioner who just lost his first BS in Amamake.

Gotta be careful crossing the street lest you get hit by the whaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

You seem to be one of those people who has trouble distinguishing real life from the video games he plays, which would probably explain all your libertarian posting elsewhere. Real life is unfair because that's just real life. Eve is a game that I pay for under the premise that it is a fair game for all participants (i.e., everyone has to follow the same rules, nobody just gets extra stuff handed to them just because the people who run the game like them more, etc.). When Eve is unfair, it's not because "that's just Eve", it's because CCP has failed to meet its obligations to its paying customers.
Literally Space Moses
Perkone
Caldari State
#307 - 2013-10-05 15:11:31 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

So what you're saying is despite Somer and employees freely admitting that it happened, if CCP comes out and says it was all a ruse, you'll implicitly believe them?

#T2013

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#308 - 2013-10-05 15:13:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Nevyn Auscent
Bronco Platz wrote:
Quote:

Because CCP PR staff totally can verify what actually happened at their end instantly on a weekend.

It's almost like TMC released the article right when CCP would have the most difficulty answering it in order to get people mad for the longest possible period of time before CCP could answer. To create responses exactly like your one. 'They didn't deny it instantly so any denial now must be a lie'.

Get real. Suddenly I'm sick at the level of intellect of people playing this game given how easily you are all being manipulated by sheer rumour at this point. And I thought I was playing in a game with a bunch of savvy smart scam wary people who actually bothered verifying information before acting on it and laughed at people for falling victim for margin scams for the lack of due diligence. Apparently I was wrong and it's just trolls.

Also Space Moses.
Yes.
A says B is evil.
B says A is lying.

B has a history of being fairly open.
A has no real history as far as most of us are concerned, yet refuses to provide any proof of B being evil (aka API).

Then yes. I believe B.
If A wants to be believed, they need to provide that API or other similar evidence that isn't easily fakeable. Rather than the current level of evidence that only is a poor screenshot of a 'forwarded' message that could easily have been typed by the person sending it.
Dex Slim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#309 - 2013-10-05 15:13:21 UTC
It’s actually quite simple. Which community site does most for CCP in terms of revenue?

Who knows how much extra demand for PLEX and GTCs SOMER Blink and its addictive lotteries drives, and how many thousands of dollars SOMER contributes to CCP’s coffers. CCP, as the smart businessmen they are, will want to provide SOMER with incentives to continue this revenue stream. What better way to do that than to spawn worthless (in real-life) digital assets to SOMER? SOMER is basically working for CCP for free. Of course there will be favoritism – SOMER is good for business. CCP is also probably aware of the fact that ingame gifts are a controversial topic due to the outrage in the community during previous scandals. This could in turn explain the apparent non-transparency concerning these Ishukone Scorpion gifts to SOMER.

Personally I think this kind of behavior of giving away things to certain ingame groups is **** and it ruins my sandbox experience. Why would I want to grind away for months when other people get ingame riches spawned in their hangar for the simple fact that they belong to the right corporation? How does CCP choose which corporation or not to receive riches? Where is the transparency? Also, giving trillions away to a single corp ingame is definitely a game changer. CCP should not directly interfere in the sandbox by shifting power balances.

No, I think it’s more important for CCP to focus on actually protecting the integrity of the sandbox and the game. EVE is (at least for the moment) one of the few true sandbox experiences out there and I think that is why most of us are still here. Of course, CCP can do as they wish with their intellectual property. However, as customers we have the power to actually make CCP listen to us and what we want. If people really want to be heard I suggest you reach out to CCP in the only way that really matters to them – cancelled subscriptions. I would gladly boycott CCP for a month to protect a game, and a sandbox experience, I actually enjoy playing.
Ra Jackson
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#310 - 2013-10-05 15:16:07 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

Somer's second in command confirmed it. How much more verification do you want?

Some real data. Not simply a name on a screenshot. Who could be any player behind that character now.
An opportunity for CCP to speak on it to present their view point.

Or are we now judge, jury & executioner now simply because The Mittani says CCP are evil today?
I'm sorry, I don't work like that. I actually work on facts, and allow people to defend themselves first.
Then I'll crucify them if it's justified AFTER they get the chance.

Not simply because one of the most biased EVE news sites with it's own major agenda decides to attack CCP's business.

Quoting for reference next week. "Who could be any player behind that character now." Brilliant.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#311 - 2013-10-05 15:18:12 UTC
Dex Slim wrote:
It’s actually quite simple. Which community site does most for CCP in terms of revenue?
Battleclinic, most likely.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#312 - 2013-10-05 15:19:08 UTC
Ra Jackson wrote:

Quoting for reference next week. "Who could be any player behind that character now." Brilliant.

Reference away. But this is EVE. People create the most elaborate scams possible here. Yet we are expected to swallow this as automatically true. With no verification.
Red Templar
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#313 - 2013-10-05 15:19:50 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Bronco Platz wrote:
Quote:

Because CCP PR staff totally can verify what actually happened at their end instantly on a weekend.

It's almost like TMC released the article right when CCP would have the most difficulty answering it in order to get people mad for the longest possible period of time before CCP could answer. To create responses exactly like your one. 'They didn't deny it instantly so any denial now must be a lie'.

Get real. Suddenly I'm sick at the level of intellect of people playing this game given how easily you are all being manipulated by sheer rumour at this point. And I thought I was playing in a game with a bunch of savvy smart scam wary people who actually bothered verifying information before acting on it and laughed at people for falling victim for margin scams for the lack of due diligence. Apparently I was wrong and it's just trolls.

Also Space Moses.
Yes.
A says B is evil.
B says A is lying.

B has a history of being fairly open.
A has no real history as far as most of us are concerned, yet refuses to provide any proof of B being evil (aka API).

Then yes. I believe B.
If A wants to be believed, they need to provide that API or other similar evidence that isn't easily fakeable. Rather than the current level of evidence that only is a poor screenshot of a 'forwarded' message that could easily have been typed by the person sending it.

I like how you keep ignoring the parts where people keep telling you, that Somer employees confirmed the story. And that you can go to their channel and ask it for yourself. Those who want to be fooled, will be fooled.

Keep it up.

There was a lot of sentiment that its CCP game, and they can do whatever they want. While that is completely true, CAN is not the same as SHOULD. Any of us technically can go outside and shoot someone in the face, but it doesn't mean we should actually do it.

[b]For Love. For Peace. For Honor.

For None of the Above.

For Pony![/b]

sally Deninard
mss industry
#314 - 2013-10-05 15:23:09 UTC
Came to the forums to check progress and found it had got worse....

Put some training on and went to play something else 07
Mocam
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#315 - 2013-10-05 15:24:47 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Entity wrote:
Interesting people don't even check facts before posting on a news outlet.

Autumnries Mahm is an impersonator, he has been spamming trade chat with a scam all of last two days.

RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll

I don't get it. Once you posted this statement, why are people ignoring it?
If you are sure it is a scammer, then the failed laywer's site has just lost a ton of credibility (not that it had much with discerning readers in the 1st place).

That could be even more interesting than this original scandal, if Entity is correct.

Do you know how easy it is to tweak a "leaked" mail?

Purported image of the mail: http://i.imgur.com/Ekjk1sd.jpg

Here's how easy this is to do:
1) Go to EVE - bring up *YOUR* mail.
2) Hit Forward
3) Highlight and Delete the name of the person in the "from" portion of the forwarded mail.
4) Type in "Autumnries Mahm" - highlight it -> Auto-link -> Character

Now what he's talking about is this: Autumries Mahm ---- Autumnries Mahm

Note the difference in spelling - missing the "n". Check the employment dates...

How hard is it to spoof a "proof" mail? Damned easy.

I did something like this once to kick the network security dept in the ass - I sent a "you are fired" e-mail to the manager of that group from the CEO after telling him I would. As we "chatted" with the "how the hell did you do that?" - I explained the process and how to fix it. He wasn't overly amused at the stunt but rather pleased that I had a fix for him to implement.

This "proof" mail - I'd wait and see what the hell Comes out from CCP and/or from Somer. It reeks of a lulz tweak to sucker folks into a flame-fest. It may be real but I doubt it.
Ra Jackson
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#316 - 2013-10-05 15:25:49 UTC
Princess Bride wrote:

But honestly, all of that aside, you guys have to try to remember that his is just a video game, and CCP runs it. They can do whatever they want, favor whomever they want, give and take whatever they want.

Somer Mahm is winning the meta game of Eve. Yes, that does mean you are losing. Cry me a river.

If we are playing against CCP we can as well just stop.
Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#317 - 2013-10-05 15:26:46 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Dex Slim wrote:

Reddit and Something Awful, more likely
Kuni Oichi
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#318 - 2013-10-05 15:26:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuni Oichi
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Bronco Platz wrote:
[quote]But if CCP comes out and says this is a pure hoax

When a newspaper comes out on a Saturday, do you refuse to believe anything reported because of its timing? Or the evening news? Or anything that is reported outside 9-5? What about if it's reported at 2pm in one timezone, but 7pm in another?

Had you read the article, the writer Sun Win clearly states 'To date, CCP has not responded to a request for comment. This revelation took place on a Friday evening, and neither of the CCP PR staff we contacted have been able to reply.'

That said it's now Saturday afternoon (oops, timezones again), and CCP has had a lot of time to respond. PR and Marketing people from video game companies and all manner of corporations manage to comment and make statements outside office hours on a daily basis.

In asking for the API, you're also asking for the source, personally I can't see TMC giving that up, for obvious reasons. While some will doubtless decry the comparison, many journalists have gone to jail to protect a source.

And lastly, as you've been told many times, it's been confirmed by Somer Blink, or do you think they're lying about it as well as this is all a trick by them in order to make CCP look bad, increase people's awareness of them for some nefarious scheme? Wow, I thought they were just smart for coming up with somer blink but that's a whole other level of cunning.
Josef Djugashvilis
#319 - 2013-10-05 15:28:22 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
So.... TMC posted an unverified article purely on a 'leaked e-mail' that could easily have been fabricated.
Response. Lots of emo internet kids rage.

Really. Settle down, wait for a CCP response to these allegations before cancelling Subs, burning Jita or any other such nonsense atm.
All you people doing talking about that are doing is showing exactly how immature you are and how little CCP should care about your opinion when you have no interest in the facts but are letting yourself be jerked around by the first guy out with a story that makes you mad.

This isn't to say that is this is true I won't have an issue with it myself, but I am not going to break out the pitch forks without actually listening to the other story, I will not be part of a lynch mob. Especially not one that is placing itself in line for a major law suit.

As if TMC are wrong on any of their details, they will have actually stepped over the line and opened themselves to Litigation given the tone of the article as it didn't call for an investigation into if the rumours are true, but actual action on the assumption the rumours are true. And as such is DELIBERATELY trying to harm CCP's business by using an unverified story. Something that is illegal in a great many countries and newspapers that publish such poor journalism calling for 'action' on rumour often get sued successfully.

I am flattered that at the age of 58, I can still be considered 'immature'

Thank you.

Immature or not as the case may be, CCP giving any player corp an in-game advantage is wrong.

This is not a signature.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#320 - 2013-10-05 15:29:26 UTC
Cameron Freerunner wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Dex Slim wrote:

Reddit and Something Awful, more likely

Fair enough. I wouldn't call those community websites, though, and I got the feeling that he was talking about generating GTC sales. Since BC has their own GTC-selling store, it kind of leads by default.