These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship ransoming concept

Author
supernova ranger
The End of Eternity
#1 - 2013-10-03 21:34:21 UTC
Goal: Mechanics that give players a trustworthy option to handover their ship to another player in the event they are trapped by pirates

Required features:
1. Crippled flight mode
- ships acquired through the mechanic are crippled
- they can not dock (stations and hanger bays think they are at risk of exploding and an internal explosion could be catastrophic)
- the modules and rigs are all off-lined and do not apply any positive bonuses
- They can use jump mechanics
- They can be repaired
- To be put back into service they need to be brought to an extensive repair bay
- They need to be flow by a spare pilot
- stay in space for 30 days if unmanned

2. Extensive repair bay for POS
- Each can hold 1 ship of their respective size (S, M, L, XL)
- When docked the module puts out a window like a customs office of required materials
- Required materials = 90% of BPO's un-researched requirements
- Once requirements have been met, starts repair cycle which = un-researched BPO's manufacturing time

3. Ransoming
a. Player is ransomed for x amount
b. Player accepts
c. Player boards the battleship or capital that issued the offer (limited ship type that can offer)
d. 1hr timer starts for the player with the boarded passenger
e. Player must dock in designated lowsec system (view-able on star map) or any highsec system with a route to jita/amarr
f. Failure to complete the task takes both players out with the player the ship it is carrying getting the final blow and killmail
g. No loss mail for ransomed player if the en-devour fails
h. successful docking completes the mechanic and the player is spawned into the station
i. ransomed player is stuck viewing the ship the entire time and can take no other action while being transported (no overview and no clicking other ships in space)
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2013-10-03 21:36:27 UTC
Why would anyone ransom anything if all they get is a hull they can't do anything with, that requires a POS and that costs more than a brand new hull to be able to use?
Johnson Oramara
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-10-03 21:40:23 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Why would anyone ransom anything if all they get is a hull they can't do anything with, that requires a POS and that costs more than a brand new hull to be able to use?

I wish people wouldn't post if it goes way over their heads...
Leto Atal
LoneStar Industries
#4 - 2013-10-03 21:53:12 UTC
It's a reasonable idea but made overly complicated.

There's no need for a crippled mode. If a ship's shield and amour are depleted and the current warp strength of the ship is less than 0 then a ship can be ransomed.

Assuming the ransom is accepted by the victim, the victim is ejected into their pod and their ship is packaged up into a courier container and a contract is created for the container to be shipped to the nearest high sec station (or maybe just the nearest station). The reward is for completing the contract is the ransom amount. The contract is automatically accepted by the player issuing the ransom with a collateral equal to 25% of the ransom value.

supernova ranger
The End of Eternity
#5 - 2013-10-03 21:55:17 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:

1. Stats may need to be tweaked on how much it costs to repair
2. Ships need to die to keep eve's economy going so this can't end up being a way that becomes competative with the industry

The ship is more like a bonus, the big thing is the ransom

Get enough capital ships and you can use the wreckage to build another - if I do recall correctly, capital components can be found in the wreckage? You could fly them to your home system and blow them up
Darkhen
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2013-10-03 21:55:47 UTC
I vote no - much more interesting to have an un-trustworthy method for ransoming.
supernova ranger
The End of Eternity
#7 - 2013-10-03 22:01:45 UTC
Darkhen wrote:
I vote no - much more interesting to have an un-trustworthy method for ransoming.

You seriously prefer the current ransoming system as is? All I find it good for is a laugh... Because no one ever follows through.
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#8 - 2013-10-03 23:19:31 UTC
supernova ranger wrote:
Darkhen wrote:

You seriously prefer the current ransoming system as is? All I find it good for is a laugh... Because no one ever follows through.

Get back to me after you have played eve for a while.
Eve is what it is because we have no systems to enforce your goody giddy behaviors.

Get the f out.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.