These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

The two basic No-Gos of Eve

First post First post
Author
Jered Hakaaros
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-10-02 00:06:10 UTC
Greetings people! Im sure many of you, like me, tried to get friends into this game and often failed miserably. I made the experience that it is neither the steep learning curve nor the harsh survivalist-style gameplay this game is known for. No, usually it comes down to two questions, and then its over for most potential newcomers:

1) Can I walk in stations and interact with other players?
2) Can I pilot my ship directly?

After people discover that the answer to those is "no", its over, they either quit or dont try it in the first place, which brings a tear to my eye every time. Even I only tried it because a friend practically threatened me to try this game. Now we all know that piloting the ship directly is simply not technically possible if you want a single-shard universe with massive battles. On the contrary, after getting used to Eve I even complain about other twitch-based space game, because Eve lets me position my ship exactly where I want it. Different method, same or better result.

Which leaves Walk in Stations. Yeah, there will probably be a lot "Posting in another WiS thread" and thats fine. But thats also how it should be! Work on WiS exist, as far as we know, for a better five years, yet has never been implemented. The games growth would rise significantly, and, not to forget, this is the key feature to finally improve on that dreadful female-player rating, which would open Eve up to a whole new crowd of players.

In the end that is no real news, but all people in favor have to stay vocal about this and keep getting heard on a regular basis, otherwise we end up with even more rebalancing or rather underwhelming content. I love this game and want to get people into it, but Eve is just making this task damn hard for all the wrong reasons.
The Greenmachine Greenmachine
Green's Bicycle Shop
#2 - 2013-10-02 00:08:23 UTC
dude what are you talking about...

the oculus rift is more useful in this game than any other...

I can see more spreadsheets at 1 time
SpoonRECKLESS
Beach Boys
The Minions.
#3 - 2013-10-02 00:08:36 UTC
I'm still here tho. Then again I am a fool for believing in an open sandbox of freedom allowing me to ruin or be ruined by a fellow eve player. WIS is cool idea but it should be its own game when I think of it. Like sims in space with body parts in low gravity.

Blue

Eggs Ackley
#4 - 2013-10-02 00:16:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Eggs Ackley
Hey there is always Secret World.

Why do you have to walk in stations to interact with others? Is this fashion week?
Hammer Crendraven
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-10-02 01:02:55 UTC
Jered Hakaaros wrote:

1) No

2) No

Any questions?

Dust is that way >
Garandras
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-10-02 01:05:09 UTC
but you can pilot your ship directly..

Dr0000 Maulerant
Union Nanide and Tooling
#7 - 2013-10-02 02:01:30 UTC
I"m going to start kneecapping people who say direct piloting isn't possible because of the servers.

Tell me again about how every playstyle you dont engage in "doesn't require any effort" and everyone who does it needs to die in a fire. Be sure to mention about how you tried it once but it was too easy/boring/ethnic-homophobic slur. 

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#8 - 2013-10-02 02:16:48 UTC
Eggs Ackley wrote:
Hey there is always Secret World.

Why do you have to walk in stations to interact with others? Is this fashion week?

By the same token, why do you need to see a ship to have combat?

EVE could save a bundle by scrapping what they have and making each system into a Checkers board. Immersion be damned!

Some of you people are just too much!

Mr Epeen Cool
Shederov Blood
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#9 - 2013-10-02 02:38:25 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
By the same token, why do you need to see a ship to have combat?

EVE could save a bundle by scrapping what they have and making each system into a Checkers board.
Or this.

Who put the goat in there?

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#10 - 2013-10-02 02:49:45 UTC
I think the biggest No-Go in eve history was when they left the "Go back to WoW" button out of the esc menu.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-10-02 02:50:34 UTC
You can manually pilot your ship and you can walk in stations. You're wrong on both points.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Literally Space Moses
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-10-02 02:57:29 UTC
Dr0000 Maulerant wrote:
I"m going to start kneecapping people who say direct piloting isn't possible because of the servers.

Why does the truth make you so angry.

OP: Go look at Star Citizen. Looks like it's more your type.

#T2013

Dr0000 Maulerant
Union Nanide and Tooling
#13 - 2013-10-02 04:45:35 UTC
Literally Space Moses wrote:

Why does the truth make you so angry.

Eve already uses mid-tick caching. If there is a reason direct piloting would be hard to code, it's probably client side.

Tell me again about how every playstyle you dont engage in "doesn't require any effort" and everyone who does it needs to die in a fire. Be sure to mention about how you tried it once but it was too easy/boring/ethnic-homophobic slur. 

Mr Pragmatic
#14 - 2013-10-02 04:49:41 UTC
I have a dream! That one day eve characters can interact with one another not separated by walls! A dream where WASD makes more sense! A simple dream, but the eveleetists have no idea how stupid they sound.

Super cali hella yolo swaga dopeness.  -Yoloswaggins, in the fellowship of the bling.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#15 - 2013-10-02 04:58:58 UTC
Jered Hakaaros wrote:
Greetings people! Im sure many of you, like me, tried to get friends into this game and often failed miserably. I made the experience that it is neither the steep learning curve nor the harsh survivalist-style gameplay this game is known for. No, usually it comes down to two questions, and then its over for most potential newcomers:

After people discover that the answer to those is "no", its over, they either quit or dont try it in the first place, which brings a tear to my eye every time. Even I only tried it because a friend practically threatened me to try this game. Now we all know that piloting the ship directly is simply not technically possible if you want a single-shard universe with massive battles. On the contrary, after getting used to Eve I even complain about other twitch-based space game, because Eve lets me position my ship exactly where I want it. Different method, same or better result.

Which leaves Walk in Stations. Yeah, there will probably be a lot "Posting in another WiS thread" and thats fine. But thats also how it should be! Work on WiS exist, as far as we know, for a better five years, yet has never been implemented. The games growth would rise significantly, and, not to forget, this is the key feature to finally improve on that dreadful female-player rating, which would open Eve up to a whole new crowd of players.

In the end that is no real news, but all people in favor have to stay vocal about this and keep getting heard on a regular basis, otherwise we end up with even more rebalancing or rather underwhelming content. I love this game and want to get people into it, but Eve is just making this task damn hard for all the wrong reasons.

Underlined the main motivation of this post. In short, it's the same ole "appeal to CCPs wallet" thing again.

The existing fanbase has spoken and wants CCP to conentrate on the SPACE part of this spaceship game. Doing other wise would do 2 things:

1. Alienate the existing fanbase

2. Attract people to a SPACEship game who aren't into SPACE.

The 2nd one is the reason CCP is doing the right thing right now. The people who play EVE right now love space ships, mostly don't give a flip about piloting spaceships (I for one play this game because I like being the CAPTAIN of my ship, not it's pilot) and could care less about walking around. Who the hell needs feet when you have Warp Capability? Changing that means EVe would be flooded by these happy-go-lucky themeparkers who wouldn't stay very long no matter what you do.

The OP might think it's a good thing to trade dedicated players (many of whom buy multiple accounts to do even more things in space) for people who aren't interested in the main theme of EVE online (SPACEships), but I think the idea is dumb.

Rich Uncle PennyBags
EVE Online Monopoly
#16 - 2013-10-02 05:00:11 UTC
You can manually pilot your ship by double clicking in the direction you want to go.

Half of your argument is invalid.
Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-10-02 05:06:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhes
Jenn aSide wrote:
The OP might think it's a good thing to trade dedicated players (many of whom buy multiple accounts to do even more things in space) for people who aren't interested in the main theme of EVE online (SPACEships), but I think the idea is dumb.

I remember when SOE tried to trade the existing players of Star Wars Galaxies for new players...it didn't work out so great for them. Same thing would happen to Eve.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Arrunca
Quator Finance
#18 - 2013-10-02 05:19:24 UTC
Rhes wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

I remember when SOE tried to trade the existing players of Star Wars Galaxies for new players...it didn't work out so great for them. Same thing would happen to Eve.

Lost my good old Rodian Commando/Bounty Hunter/Carbineer in that downgrade. Went from being able to turn everything within 50 meters on fire with a single shot, to running around like a ******** numb guy on speed. NO THANKS! NOT FOR EVE!
Eliose Lucian
Turn One Thoughtseize
Pan-Intergalatic Business Community
#19 - 2013-10-02 06:06:00 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

What do you mean by trade? Would you really leave the game if they added some more to WiS? What? I wouldn't, although I wouldn't really use it either. It would be like current WiS, take it or leave it. I highly doubt CCP would make it a requirement to WALK too your agents.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#20 - 2013-10-02 06:16:00 UTC
Quote:
they either quit or dont try it in the first place, which brings a tear to my eye every time.

CCP, the best tear extractor ever. Lol
123Next pageLast page