These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Boosters are going to be big

Author
Tamiya Sarossa
Resistance is Character Forming
#21 - 2011-11-15 21:41:55 UTC
Wrote an essay on the test server feedback about this, but this is actually a nerf to may situations.

With skills, the side effects were rare, and those that happened rarely mattered in the situations where you used boosters. When you needed 30% more tank or 30% more tracking, armor/cap/tracking penalities rarely mattered, since taking the booster was the difference between tanking incoming DPS or popping. I'd wager that I didn't care about almost every penalty of boosters in the situations where I used them.

The main barrier to drug use was always their illegality - if they lose over 50% of their potency (as they have now on Sis) I'll no longer consider them worth the cost and hassle. Don't nerf their effectiveness, even if it means keeping the penalites - or keep higher grade boosters in that retain the penalites (risk versus reward, 30% bonuses with the old side effects).

Myyona
Ataraxia Pharmacies
#22 - 2011-11-15 21:48:02 UTC
I agree that taking away the drawbacks of boosters has made them lose some of their special "flavor". Simply dumping down a game mechanic is not necessarily an improvement and rarely a great one.

CEO - Ataraxia Pharmacies Personal Biography

Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#23 - 2011-11-15 21:53:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Grath Telkin
Tamiya Sarossa wrote:
Wrote an essay on the test server feedback about this, but this is actually a nerf to may situations.

With skills, the side effects were rare, and those that happened rarely mattered in the situations where you used boosters. When you needed 30% more tank or 30% more tracking, armor/cap/tracking penalities rarely mattered, since taking the booster was the difference between tanking incoming DPS or popping. I'd wager that I didn't care about almost every penalty of boosters in the situations where I used them.

The main barrier to drug use was always their illegality - if they lose over 50% of their potency (as they have now on Sis) I'll no longer consider them worth the cost and hassle. Don't nerf their effectiveness, even if it means keeping the penalites - or keep higher grade boosters in that retain the penalites (risk versus reward, 30% bonuses with the old side effects).

You are completely wrong on almost every point you site.

I mean, how can you actually be this wrong?

The side effects didn't matter? Are you serious?

Here we go:

Blue pill: Shield boost amount is the bonus, possible side effect, less total shields. HOW IS THAT NOT AN ISSUE.

Exile pill: Armor rep amount, possible side effect, less armor

X-Instinct: Sig reduction, every penalty it has sucks.

I could go on, and now lets address your second paragraph, where you claim they are 50% less effective. Well in the first paragraph you already claimed you had the skills trained, shocking news incoming: Having the skills trained to near max returns the drugs to their original strength, and now they can last almost 2 hours.

Literally, without checking any facts, you simply made up something to complain about, which normally is ok, but your information that your basing it off of is completely false, which makes you ********.

Myyona wrote:
I agree that taking away the drawbacks of boosters has made them lose some of their special "flavor". Simply dumping down a game mechanic is not necessarily an improvement and rarely a great one.

Drugs weren't being used in the numbers and manner CCP wanted, they've been stating they wanted to make them more attractive to the general population, Im not sure if you've ever tried drug manufacturing, but its tedious, and generally is always performed at a loss after taking into account time, fuel, and everything else.

You are literally better off mining veldspar in empire than producing drugs. This should spike the prices on them as more and more people get into using them, which will make more people want to make them.

Low sec is the primary factory for drugs, so in this, CCP are increasing drug productions profitability, thus buffing lowsec.

Malcanis - Without drone assign, the slowcat doctrine will wither and die.

Feligast
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2011-11-15 22:02:09 UTC
Hi Grath.
Aloe Cloveris
The Greater Goon
#25 - 2011-11-15 22:10:39 UTC
Sooooo ... what's the deal with Nanite Control and Neurotoxin Recovery now? They were hella useful (and expensive) and I hope it doesn't turn out to be something useless/negligible/refunded SP
Myyona
Ataraxia Pharmacies
#26 - 2011-11-15 22:12:57 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:

Drugs weren't being used in the numbers and manner CCP wanted, they've been stating they wanted to make them more attractive to the general population, Im not sure if you've ever tried drug manufacturing, but its tedious, and generally is always performed at a loss after taking into account time, fuel, and everything else.

Sorry, I nearly chocked myself to death laughing considering the link I posted just a few posts up.Blink

Mag's
Azn Empire
#27 - 2011-11-15 22:13:02 UTC
Looking forward to this change. Nice to have all the skills already, now just need to train them to 5. Cool

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Tamiya Sarossa
Resistance is Character Forming
#28 - 2011-11-15 22:14:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Tamiya Sarossa
Grath Telkin wrote:
Tamiya Sarossa wrote:

You are completely wrong on almost every point you site.

I mean, how can you actually be this wrong?

The side effects didn't matter? Are you serious?

Here we go:

Blue pill: Shield boost amount is the bonus, possible side effect, less total shields. HOW IS THAT NOT AN ISSUE.

Exile pill: Armor rep amount, possible side effect, less armor

X-Instinct: Sig reduction, every penalty it has sucks.

I could go on, and now lets address your second paragraph, where you claim they are 50% less effective. Well in the first paragraph you already claimed you had the skills trained, shocking news incoming: Having the skills trained to near max returns the drugs to their original strength, and now they can last almost 2 hours.

Literally, without checking any facts, you simply made up something to complain about, which normally is ok, but your information that your basing it off of is completely false, which makes you ********.

Myyona wrote:

You are literally better off mining veldspar in empire than producing drugs. This should spike the prices on them as more and more people get into using them, which will make more people want to make them.

Low sec is the primary factory for drugs, so in this, CCP are increasing drug productions profitability, thus buffing lowsec.

I was purely going off the numbers in the OP, that seem to suggest the maximum boosts are now around 15-20ish%. The skils increase this by another 25%, which is 25% tops, still less than the 30% of yore. I admit this is better than I realized, but I WILL TAKE SIDE EFFECTS for that extra 5%

IF you think that an armor amount bonus really matters THAT MUCH when you're in a triple rep myrm and popping exile, then you are dumb. All it does is make your armor bounce around hilariously - you're rarely in danger of being alphaed, so total armor is irrelevant as compared to how much you can rep.

The same goes for Blue pill, which aside from Drop and Mindflood are the only one's I've used. Some mindflood penalties are annoying, but you rarely get them - the rest for both Drop and Bluepill I don't give a **** about in the situations where I'm going to use them (where that extra 30% makes the difference between dying or not)

TLDR: I want to keep the old effectiveness, even if it means keeping side effects. Can be a higher teir of boosters, I don't care. Still spacemad over my lack of 30% repping bonuses.

I mean the duration thing makes it promising to pop these in station in highsec and blitz missions for awhile, but that shouldn't be the market boosters are aimed at. I'd be willing to pay a premium to get my 30, 35% boosts back.
Myyona
Ataraxia Pharmacies
#29 - 2011-11-15 22:15:33 UTC
Aloe Cloveris wrote:
Sooooo ... what's the deal with Nanite Control and Neurotoxin Recovery now? They were hella useful (and expensive) and I hope it doesn't turn out to be something useless/negligible/refunded SP

They, by magic, turn into two new skills, Aloe. Nanobiology (additional +20% to booster duration per level) and Neurobiology (+5% booster effect per level).

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#30 - 2011-11-15 22:23:10 UTC
It's a good change - either you didn't get an an undesirable effect that would conflict with the fits concept and go along or you did and you just stay docked/in POS shields/log off for the duration.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#31 - 2011-11-15 22:31:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Grath Telkin
Tamiya Sarossa wrote:

I was purely going off the numbers in the OP, that seem to suggest the maximum boosts are now around 15-20ish%. The skils increase this by another 25%, which is 25% tops, still less than the 30% of yore. I admit this is better than I realized, but I WILL TAKE SIDE EFFECTS for that extra 5%

Say you were used to Strong Drop. Its old bonus was 37%. Currently, on the test server, for me its 30%.....I have neurobiology 4, thats a 20% bonus to its strength, I have one level left to train that would put me at 35%.

Guess where that puts it?

Tamiya Sarossa wrote:
IF you think that an armor amount bonus really matters THAT MUCH when you're in a triple rep myrm and popping exile, then you are dumb. All it does is make your armor bounce around hilariously - you're rarely in danger of being alphaed, so total armor is irrelevant as compared to how much you can rep.

Im dumb and you're claiming that with the current state of artillery you're rarely in danager of being alphad?

Tamiya Sarossa wrote:
The same goes for Blue pill, which aside from Drop and Mindflood are the only one's I've used. Some mindflood penalties are annoying, but you rarely get them - the rest for both Drop and Bluepill I don't give a **** about in the situations where I'm going to use them (where that extra 30% makes the difference between dying or not)

See above, the penalties were stupid, if I'm trying to active shield tank the last thing I need is less buffer to work with. Calling me dumb then posting this nonsense doesn't make you look any better.

Tamiya Sarossa wrote:
TLDR: I want to keep the old effectiveness, even if it means keeping side effects. Can be a higher teir of boosters, I don't care. Still spacemad over my lack of 30% repping bonuses.

I mean the duration thing makes it promising to pop these in station in highsec and blitz missions for awhile, but that shouldn't be the market boosters are aimed at. I'd be willing to pay a premium to get my 30, 35% boosts back.

So basically, you've not personally tried the test server version out, you just read something that somebody else posted then came and posted a lot of :words: about it, all of which are based on false assumptions or an incomplete understanding of the current game environment.

Then you called me dumb.

I see.

TheBlackSwan
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2011-11-15 22:32:43 UTC
Quote:
Boosters have always been good. That is not the issue.

The issue is more concerning ease of supply and the relative cost. I mean Strong boosters are in excess of 30 mil....

To quote Luke.... "We can almost buy our own ship for that...."

Yes, but strong is not for your Taranis its for your Nyx
Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#33 - 2011-11-15 22:35:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Hans Jagerblitzen
This is in no way a buff to lowsec, or for booster manufacturing.

With lack of side effects, there will literally be no reason not to use Strong boosters, all the time. The problem with this - Strong BPC's are currently only available in 8 specific constellations, owned and protected by 8 alliances. Strong BPC's rarely make it to the general market, as most alliances consume the entire quantity internally.

By removing side effects, market demand will increase, as will the prices, and the 8 Alliances who own the sources will enjoy their isk fountains.

Without increasing the availability of booster materials, this fix will not make boosters more widely available to the general public, booster rarity at this point is due to there being a bottleneck at the raw material level. Already booster manufacturers are exhausting all available sites where blueprints are dropped.

All I see happening with this is demand for standard / improved falling, and strong skyrocketing, and nullsec Alliances profiting. Boosters will become an ultra-expensive commodity, where prices for Strong varieties will rival the hull cost of the ship you want to use it in.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see how this makes boosters more public-friendly at all.

Any of us who actually use boosters know that the side effects didn't need to be removed to begin with, they were quite manageable in their current state.

Grath, I'll just assume that your response was a sarcastic troll attempt. EHP is basically irrelevant for active tankers, if you're boosting is keeping you alive, a 30% boost increase is absolutely worth sacrificing 30% raw armor value.

The art to booster use has always been careful pairing of ship type and side effect possibility, like cheese and wine. If you don't believe me, consider using Mindflood on a Vagabond - You could be hit by all the side effects and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. Every booster has its ship worth using it on, side effects not withstanding.

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#34 - 2011-11-15 22:44:31 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
This is in no way a buff to lowsec, or for booster manufacturing.

With lack of side effects, there will literally be no reason not to use Strong boosters, all the time. The problem with this - Strong BPC's are currently only available in 8 specific constellations, owned and protected by 8 alliances. Strong BPC's rarely make it to the general market, as most alliances consume the entire quantity internally.

Stopped reading right here when I realized you were posting from your ass.

Strong boosters are available all over low sec right now, because those 8 alliances you're talking about don't actually bother to mine or produce them at all, in fact, its most often ninja farmed by another group because the profitability is so low.

I mean if you're just going to make **** up why even post?

Rellik B00n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#35 - 2011-11-16 01:44:13 UTC
Great post, no strong booster left in Jita or Rens Big smile

time will tell i guess
[Of a request for change ask: Who Benefits?](https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=199765)
Adunh Slavy
#36 - 2011-11-16 03:32:50 UTC
Ardamalis wrote:

Also, does this change preclude the contraband trading we've heard about in the past?

Hope so. Def something high sec needs, smugglers and players trying to be cops. Sounds like a nice game of high sec hot potato.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Caulk H0lster
Kazakh Ministry of Wealth Redistribution
#37 - 2011-11-16 04:08:35 UTC
This explains why I've made like 3 billion in 2 days.

*evil laugh*

ps. <3 Grath Telkin
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#38 - 2011-11-16 04:58:02 UTC
Hm this is kind of interesting really. It sounds really popular and cool to be a part of it. Something like that would be sent to jita alot, but since its illegal be strange it making it to jita with how popular it can be. It is hard trading in low sec, and some of those sales might be traps as well. Imagine Alliances can produce their own for themselves down there. But some can make it to high sec for sure, but wondering about the quantity needed. There are some skills needed which gives a buffer but still seems high demand and hard movement. Wonder what will happen over it.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#39 - 2011-11-16 05:02:25 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:

Strong boosters are available all over low sec right now, because those 8 alliances you're talking about don't actually bother to mine or produce them at all, in fact, its most often ninja farmed by another group because the profitability is so low.

LOL. I know how often they are found in lowsec on the market, because I'm one of the ones who puts them there. I know how often BPC's appear in Jita, cause I'm one of the buyers. No real mysteries there. I'm saying compared to most items traded on the market, the volume is considerably low. Most of the time there isn't even one of each type of strong BPC on the market at any given time. Certain BPC's, like Strong Mindflood, are almost nonexistent on contracts.

This indicates one of two things - either Sov owners use the resources for themselves (visit the constellations - Its easy to locate the meth lab POS's and see who owns them) or, they're being ninja farmed by the same people who make them into the final product (and do so because its profitable). Either way, there isn't a surplus of the raw components needed to manufacture boosters. And besides - lets assume you are right and Alliances don't farm their LADAR sites because they "aren't profitable" Roll. Do you really think they 'll continue to look the other way once the market shifts?

Prices will spike as demand surpasses supply. If even the lesser boosters remain affordable, they will simply become another thing you have to have to be truly competitive (like faction ammo or an off-grid ganglink alt). It will no longer become about whether you choose to use boosters, but which quality you can afford. Boosters will have been downgraded to a pay-to-win element of PvP much akin to Officer Mods.

I love that CCP is looking into boosters and how they're used, but I don't understand the rush to "fix" them to just to change something. Sure, guys like me will make a killing in the short term, but the game as a whole will have lost something very EvE-like (everything should have its risks). There are a lot of cool balancing ideas and other ways to develop the feature rather than just arbitrarily gutting them of penalties.

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Caulk H0lster
Kazakh Ministry of Wealth Redistribution
#40 - 2011-11-16 05:13:52 UTC
Illegality, in and of itself, is a drawback, and the main reason more people don't use more boosters.

Removing penalties is just going to make MORE people use them despite their illegality, because it's one less thing to worry about.

So you see, while some of the ship effect drawbacks are going to be gone soon (apparently), the key drawback that keeps many people from using boosters remains intact - their illegality.

What this change WILL do is increase the demand of boosters, probably in low sec more than Jita, where a buyer still has to smuggle the drugs out somehow.

I don't buy into super-alliances-controlling-drug-market conspiracy theory, but as a booster manufacturer, I can also agree that materials, specifically the higher end BPCs are ALREADY very hard to come by, and if the demand goes up for boosters, and the BPC supplies don't change, their demand will also go way up, and prices of both boosters and BPCs will go way up. This does concern me a little, because it literally took me SIX MONTHS to get my hands on just ONE strong mindflood BPC that was only 50 runs, and I had to pay out the ass to get it.