These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Proposition to rename Hell into Heaven

First post
Author
CCP Leeloo
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2013-09-26 16:31:53 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Eterne
This is a translation of the thread on Russian forums. It was written by one of our players, who doesn't speak English but wants to be heard.

«If you are too lazy to read – watch the video (Russian voice acting).

Not everyone knows about the corporation Doomheim [666]. And even though I have been playing for a long time, I discovered it just recently when I deleted one of my characters to free the slot. You cannot find deleted characters through the normal search, but if you have a link to the profile, for example from a mail, you will be surprised that all of them are…in Hell.

Corporation Doomheim has ticker [666], the CEO is Dame Hel, and even if you are not familiar with religion or mythology you WILL associate it with infernal hell. And we all sent our characters there, not to rest but to suffer. And there are already more than 3 millions of them. This is more than the amount of active players in EVE right now! How can you sleep when you know that your ‘eyes’ that saved your life many times is suffering in the gigantic boiler? For which sins, Messrs Developers? For what?

It is not that hard to see a connection between the CEO of Doomheim – Dame Hel – and the Goddess Hel from Norse mythology. The world of the dead - called Helheim (literally - possession of Hel), just like Doomheim and Dame. Helheim is a cold, dark and foggy place, where all dead end up, except heroes that were accepted to einherjars (best of the warriors that died in the battle and live in Valhalla). Helheim is placed in Niflheim – the lowest level of the universe that has no exit.

I think that it is more fair to call the corporation for retired characters ‘palace of the fallen’, Valhalla. They served well and deserve a better place in the afterlife. Make the CEO Odin or whoever his heir would be in the EVE Universe.

I am sure that developers will not ignore our request. Religion questions in a tolerant, civilized and law-abinding Europe usually get required attention fast and fairly. So far I see nothing fair in throwing all heroes, without any judgment, to hell.

If you support my idea – please like this message or leave some feedback. The destiny of millions of virtual souls can be changed! When was the last time you had such kind of opportunity? Someday you will be proud to tell your kids that your voice changed the balance of powers in the heaven’s chancellery!»

CCP Leeloo | Community Developer | @ccp_leeloo | leeloo@ccpgames.com

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2 - 2013-09-26 16:49:44 UTC
How about Hell for all Russian players and Valhalla for everyone else? Twisted

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Ulriy Oriki
Doomheim
#3 - 2013-09-26 17:11:17 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Ha-ha. You can try to do it. But in this case the living will envy the dead
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#4 - 2013-09-26 17:17:35 UTC
Should depend on security status at the time of biomassing.
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#5 - 2013-09-26 17:40:57 UTC
Wat...

What is going on in here.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

CCP Leeloo
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2013-09-26 18:00:59 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Leeloo
Arya Regnar wrote:
Wat...

What is going on in here.

This is what most people think before they open this thread.
Rroff wrote:

And this is what they think after.

IMO :)

CCP Leeloo | Community Developer | @ccp_leeloo | leeloo@ccpgames.com

Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#7 - 2013-09-26 18:10:04 UTC
If I'm getting this right a biomassed Char is still in the DB? Surely getting rid of them completely (as would be suggested by biomassing) would free up those names that we see so many tears over in F&I?
Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#8 - 2013-09-26 18:13:16 UTC
Rroff wrote:

The lower the sec status, the less likely you are to go to hellBig smile

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Swiftstrike1
Swiftstrike Incorporated
#9 - 2013-09-26 18:52:20 UTC
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
If I'm getting this right a biomassed Char is still in the DB? Surely getting rid of them completely (as would be suggested by biomassing) would free up those names that we see so many tears over in F&I?

^This. Just delete them.

Casual Incursion runner & Faction Warfare grunt, ex-Wormholer, ex-Nullbear.

Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-09-26 18:59:10 UTC
Swiftstrike1 wrote:
Maximus Aerelius wrote:

^This. Just delete them.

I'm guessing there are reasons to not delete characters in terms of referential integrity and the ability to maintain logs of activities. It's a common database practice to not really delete certain things, but instead hide them or archive them, especially in highly redundant or mission critical systems.
CorsairV
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-09-26 19:40:39 UTC
Capsuleers are bastards, water is wet, etc
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#12 - 2013-09-26 20:58:25 UTC
Every capsuleer is a mass murderer and at best a highly psychotic individual, at worst a true psychopath let loose with god like powers. Now given the choice between heaven and hell, where would you put an individual like that?

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Ordellus
Doomheim
#13 - 2013-09-26 21:04:36 UTC
If it can only be one or the other.... leave them in hell.

If for lols it can be based on security status at biomass that would be pretty awesome .

(although since we can just buy that now it would appear that money gets people into heaven
and that religions greed as made it's way into even EVE)
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#14 - 2013-09-26 21:28:34 UTC
Ordellus wrote:
If it can only be one or the other.... leave them in hell.

If for lols it can be based on security status at biomass that would be pretty awesome .

(although since we can just buy that now it would appear that money gets people into heaven
and that religions greed as made it's way into even EVE)

Isn't that what the Amarr are all about? The rich have always tried to buy their way into heaven and would have you believe that it's possible to do so as outlined in whatever good book supports their religion.

Given that we're all infomorphs and that our minds are nothing more than digital scans it may well be that heaven or hell is just a cgi virtual place where former capsuleers minds exist in a simulated environment, like the virtual environments described in the Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon) series of books.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

X4me1eoH
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-09-27 10:37:25 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Are you racist ?Evil
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-09-27 10:57:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
Quintessen wrote:
Swiftstrike1 wrote:
Maximus Aerelius wrote:

^This. Just delete them.

I'm guessing there are reasons to not delete characters in terms of referential integrity and the ability to maintain logs of activities. It's a common database practice to not really delete certain things, but instead hide them or archive them, especially in highly redundant or mission critical systems.

I am guessing this is to preserve links, e.g. in old contracts or mails. If you have a contract from a biomassed character, you can still view their profile, and not just an error message.

Also I personally know at least one person who got their character restored from Doomheim. So even a biomassed character is not gone forever. This could be relevant in cases of account theft and so on.
Kyon Rheyne
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-09-28 10:11:25 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Every capsuleer is a mass murderer and at best a highly psychotic individual, at worst a true psychopath let loose with god like powers. Now given the choice between heaven and hell, where would you put an individual like that?

This one.
Elmo Fudd
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-10-08 06:12:02 UTC
Valhalla
/agree
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2013-10-08 06:35:58 UTC
Once I thought that Doomheim must be some regular corp...

Next time I see Doomheim invading some region I will need new pants.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#20 - 2013-10-08 09:39:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Velicitia
Barrogh Habalu wrote:
Once I thought that Doomheim must be some regular corp...

Next time I see Doomheim invading some region I will need new pants.

There is (or was at one time) a Doomhiem(dot) corp ...

edit - yup. linkage

Too bad they're out of business ...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

12Next page