These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Introduction, and Noob Quality Assurance.

First post
Author
Roark BleedBlue
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2011-09-07 15:51:35 UTC
Well, I've been playing 3 weeks now, and out of the thousands of games I have ever played, I'm more hyped about Eve, than anything else I've ever played. Thought I'd make an introduction, because I plan on being around for a good long time, and would like to be involved in the forums as well.

First impression: I don't like the goons. I disagree with their philosophy part and parcel. I'll never be a griefer, or a pirate, or a scammer. However, without them I don't think I would even care to play this game. So you'll never hear the whiny pleas to stop them coming from me.

Noob QA. Here's what I'm doing, and what I want to do. Let me know why I'm wrong.

-Joined a brand new small player Corp.
-Flying Amarr, doing lvl 3's in a Harby, skilling up so I can fit it with more than dental floss.
-Plan to PVE for income for the foreseeable future, and eventually run mining op PVP protection detail for my corp

-I have aspirations of one day starting a true, scammless, investment bank....I see no reason why it couldn't be done honestly, and no reason why it couldn't be a great resource to everyone involved. It's a long way down the road, but I think it could be awesome.

Good to meet all of you.
-Bleedblue
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#2 - 2011-09-07 15:56:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Xercodo
hfgl :P

btw dont forget to have EVE news and devblog RSS feeds and to ALWAYS read patch notes

The Drake is a Lie

Sovennek
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-09-07 16:46:56 UTC
Welcome to this terrific world! Big smile

BTW, no plan can be wrong, as long as you are having fun and you get to work with a team of people you like.

It is good that you are starting out with the attitude that Goons, Pandemic Legion, Drone Russian Federation, and all of the other bad boys and pirates are part of the game and add spice to whatever you do or wherever you go!

Have fun and fly smart!

Remember: They're only pixels; it's not real money; it's supposed to be fun!

CCP Navigator
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2011-09-07 17:28:49 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Navigator
Roark BleedBlue wrote:
Well, I've been playing 3 weeks now, and out of the thousands of games I have ever played, I'm more hyped about Eve, than anything else I've ever played. Thought I'd make an introduction, because I plan on being around for a good long time, and would like to be involved in the forums as well.

First impression: I don't like the goons. I disagree with their philosophy part and parcel. I'll never be a griefer, or a pirate, or a scammer. However, without them I don't think I would even care to play this game. So you'll never hear the whiny pleas to stop them coming from me.

Noob QA. Here's what I'm doing, and what I want to do. Let me know why I'm wrong.

-Flying Amarr, doing lvl 3's in a Harby, skilling up so I can fit it with more than dental floss.
-Plan to PVE for income for the foreseeable future, and eventually run mining op PVP protection detail for my corp

-I have aspirations of one day starting a true, scammless, investment bank....I see no reason why it couldn't be done honestly, and no reason why it couldn't be a great resource to everyone involved. It's a long way down the road, but I think it could be awesome.

Good to meet all of you.
-Bleedblue

Welcome, Roark BleedBlue

Your three points under your 'Noob QA' are pretty much perfect. Some people will tell you that Caldari are the true mission running kings, which is true to an extent, but the Apocalypse and Paladin are great ships for PvE content.

Good to see you joining a player corporation right away and this is truly a pro move Smile

Good luck on your long term plans of a scam free banking institute. you will have a tough task on your hands but absolutely everything is achievable in EVE.
Sovennek
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-09-07 17:48:48 UTC
CCP Navigator wrote:

Welcome, Sovennek!

Your three points under your 'Noob QA' are pretty much perfect. Some people will tell you that Caldari are the true mission running kings, which is true to an extent, but the Apocalypse and Paladin are great ships for PvE content.

Good to see you joining a player corporation right away and this is truly a pro move Smile

Good luck on your long term plans of a scam free banking institute. you will have a tough task on your hands but absolutely everything is achievable in EVE.

Thanks for the welcome, CCP Navigator, but the OP is Roark BleedBlue. Big smile

Remember: They're only pixels; it's not real money; it's supposed to be fun!

CCP Navigator
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2011-09-07 17:56:11 UTC
Sovennek wrote:
CCP Navigator wrote:

Welcome, Sovennek!

Thanks for the welcome, CCP Navigator, but the OP is Roark BleedBlue. Big smile

Yes, a little silly of me there but welcome to you too!

*hugz*
Taedrin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2011-09-07 21:29:38 UTC
CCP Navigator wrote:
Roark BleedBlue wrote:

Good to meet all of you.
-Bleedblue

Welcome, Roark BleedBlue

Bah! The Armageddon is where TRUE PvE pwnage is at. It's got a damage bonus, 125m³ drone bandwidth, and 8 low slots for triple damage mods and still have room left over for a 4-5 slot tank. Just grab a cap booster and other cap mods and make sure your cargohold is full of 800s and you are good to mow through Sansha and Blood Raider missions faster than you've ever done before!

The Rigor Raven can't even compete when it comes to Amarr missions.
Roark BleedBlue
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2011-09-07 23:40:22 UTC
Well thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Even though Amarr seems more skill intensive than some other races, I love the design/feel of the ships. I hate missiles, and want to use drones as a tool, not as my go to weapon. I don't mind waiting a little longer to have a beast of a ship. Sure, I could train to fly a drake like the rest of the effing universe, but then I'd hate myself every moment of every mission. Blink

I'm actually missioning with Brutor right now, not with Amarr, because that is where my corp is.

Right now the attitude seems to be "Everything is a scam. Even if it isn't, it's not worth trying, because Everything is a scam." I think that's the right attitude to have right now, but I also would like to change that attitude in the future. Provide an institution that is known as 100% transparent and reliable. You know that getting a loan from Jimmy on the corner is only going to get you broken kneecaps, but you don't think twice about setting up direct deposit with your community credit union. I dunno, it's going to be very difficult, and I definitely don't currently have the knoweldge needed to start it off right now. But I'm going to be keeping my eyes open, and see if I can't get a good enough feel of Eve's pulse, to one day get it started.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, and you'll be seeing me around.

-BleedBlue
Lady Go Diveher
Doomheim
#9 - 2011-09-08 11:05:57 UTC
Roark BleedBlue wrote:
"Everything is a scam. Even if it isn't, it's not worth trying, because Everything is a scam."

A little unsure on a complete frame of reference, here, so I may be off base. Not everything is a scam. In fact, far from that is the truth. There are, however, a lot of people that are so terrified of being scammed they won't look at contracts .. won't post buy orders .. won't even accept offers for help because they think it's a trick. Don't be too risk adverse, there are many opportunities out there for the keen of eye and wit. Just rationalise it like you would in real life:

1) What do I stand to gain?
2) What would I lose?
3) Is the risk : reward worth it?

In many cases, things are either 100% safe or 100% scam (it's either a WTB contract listed as a WTS contract, or it isn't). Learning about the game mechanics will allow you to see which is which.

If your corp mates are terribly risk adverse, I suggest looking elsewhere, or at least thinking about it. You'll lose a lot of the "eve experience" if you never expose yourself to risk, and the potential awards they entail.
Joe Forum
#10 - 2011-09-08 12:24:39 UTC
Roark BleedBlue wrote:

There is no in-game sanction, other than loss of intra-personal reputation, against scamming or stealing. That makes banks unlikely.

Acknowledged that you get people like Estel Arador and the random acts of kindness that destroy a game mechanic, but in that example you aren't gambling anything, you get it for free. With a bank you have to trust you will get your money out. IRL you have degrees of protection for this, and sanctions if the banks try to run with the money.

If you set up a bank and people deposited a trillion or two, you really ought to run away with it. There would be no logical reason not to.
malaire
#11 - 2011-09-08 13:02:03 UTC  |  Edited by: malaire
Joe Forum wrote:
If you set up a bank and people deposited a trillion or two, you really ought to run away with it. There would be no logical reason not to.

Some people are honest and want to play accordingly.

For small example: Few days ago I was trading with item which cost around 185 mil ISK. Other trader made mistake and sold his item for me at 18.5 mil ISK (missed one zero from price). You would probably say "keep it", but I sent evemail offering to sell it back for 20 mil (sending evemail cost 1 mil CSPA charge).

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Ranger64511
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2011-09-08 14:23:44 UTC
Roark BleedBlue wrote:

Glad to hear it and welcome to EVE. Happy to hear that you are having an amazing time.

To answer this question: #1 rule explains it all. This is EVE, TRUST NO ONE. People are greedy period. And that is how life is so if you have billions on billions of isk in your wallet and your a "Bank" you wouldn't be tempted to take some if not all of it. I have been playing for almost a year and a half now and I have seen many Banks come and go. It's just too tempting to steal 900b or 1 trillion isk especially if it's right there. You have that much your basically set for the rest of your EVE life.

This is my gate. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My gate is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my gate is useless. Without my gate, I am useless.

Othran
Route One
#13 - 2011-09-08 14:35:51 UTC
Roark BleedBlue wrote:
I'll never be a griefer

What does that mean?

If (as I suspect) it means you won't gank other players then the chances are you will - and you'll enjoy it because its risk-free.

If it means you are carrying your RL morality into the game, my advice is don't. I tried that once upon a time (2003 with RKK) and it'll limit your options in Eve to a small subset of activities.

Eve is a PvP game all the way down to mining.

Enjoy the game but a bank? Heh you have no chance at all. None.
Roark BleedBlue
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2011-09-08 17:26:48 UTC
Othran wrote:
Roark BleedBlue wrote:
I'll never be a griefer

What does that mean?

If (as I suspect) it means you won't gank other players then the chances are you will - and you'll enjoy it because its risk-free.

Enjoy the game but a bank? Heh you have no chance at all. None.

I could be wrong, but my personal interpretation of "griefing" is ganking someone for the sole purpose of causing them "grief" (killing and podding a noob even without monetary gain, aka, just for 'lolz') I see suicide ganks as more of piracy, not griefing, It's done for profit, but It's shady work. I plan on pvping once that risk is worth the reward to me. But I don't see why I can't do it on the up and up. For reasons like

- Protecting my corp ops
- Protecting/Taking Territory
- Wardec
- Revenge Twisted

I never said I wouldn't ever PVP, just that I don't want to PVP in a way that would make me, personally, feel like a douche.

About the Bank again: I'm not trying to pretend like I have all the answers yet. I don't. I have no clue how I'm going to get a stable way enforce loan payments. But I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for ideas. Maybe someday I'll figure it out. And why wouldn't I just take trillions and walk away? You're right, it would set me up for eve-life. But if I have people investing trillions with me, I'm probably set up for eve life anyway. You can shear a sheep many times, but only skin it once (And if you skin Eve's sheep for trillions of isk, they're all going to look to get you back.). And personally, I'd rather have an established, long lasting, positive impact. As opposed to screwing over a ton of people, ruin my reputation, and a news article entitled: "holy **** what a huge scam!" for 2 weeks then be forgotten about.

-BleedBlue
Toshiro GreyHawk
#15 - 2011-09-09 11:50:02 UTC
There have been some people who've tried to set up investments. Some of that has worked better than others.

The thing is - IRL - if you're a Bernie Madoff and you scam your clients out of billions - you do at least eventually go to jail - and the authorities do make a real effort to recover the funds of your victims from your estate. They may not get it all back - but you'll be in jail forever and they will get something.

Not in EVE.

Go to the Crime & Punishment forum - and look at the people bragging about all the scams they've pulled off. Look at the Goons and BOB. Both took major hits through internal treachery. And they of course are just a couple of high profile cases. There have been any number of others.

Nothing is done to people who commit scams. It's part of the game. Virtually nothing is done to pirates and gankers. It's part of the game.

Reputation? So what? You get another character and give all the money to them. Reputation only has meaning for that character - and any others on the same account if you ever gave your full API to anyone. Create a new account - and no one but CCP Billing will ever know it belongs to the same person.

Anyone who would invest their money with anything run by another player is taking a considerable risk.

The only guarantee you can give is your word - which is meaningless.

Now ... that said ... the only way I can think of where you could pull something like that off - was to play this game for YEARS and create a reputation such that people will trust you.

Chribba is the only such person I know of with that good a reputation. There may well be some others - but I've not heard of them - and people having heard of you is essential to your function. No one can trust you - if they don't know who you are.

malaire
#16 - 2011-09-09 12:05:39 UTC
Toshiro GreyHawk wrote:

Chribba is the only such person I know of with that good a reputation. There may well be some others - but I've not heard of them - and people having heard of you is essential to your function. No one can trust you - if they don't know who you are.

Just in case OP hasn't seen this before. This is what you can do when you have really good reputation:
Chribba's 3rd party service

When Player A wants to sell 100 billion ship for Player B (and you can't use contracts/market), Player A gives that ship to Chribba, Player B gives ISK to Chribba, Chribba checks that everything is OK and then gives ship and ISK forward (minus his reward of course).

With that kind of reputation he could start investment bank which people would trust. But still, this being EVE, if Chribba were to start such a bank, I could not stop wondering whether he just might want to create The Biggest Scam Ever ... Since, you know, he could pull that off ..... Roll

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Gregor Palter
#17 - 2011-09-09 13:11:23 UTC
CCP Navigator wrote:
Welcome, Roark BleedBlue

The Apoc is absolutely crap at missions, it's easy to use and all that but the dps is on par with a Raven (I guess that's why people agree to it, they're used to Raven dps). Properly fitted Abaddon does some 50% more dps at similar ranges.

Excuses are the refuge of the weak.

Lady Go Diveher
Doomheim
#18 - 2011-09-09 16:18:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Lady Go Diveher
Gregor Palter wrote:
CCP Navigator wrote:
Welcome, Roark BleedBlue

The Apoc is absolutely crap at missions, it's easy to use and all that but the dps is on par with a Raven (I guess that's why people agree to it, they're used to Raven dps). Properly fitted Abaddon does some 50% more dps at similar ranges.

A 'baddon will do 25% more DPS with a 37.5% range penalty. It absolutely needs to swap crystals to equal the range .. at which point the DPS is comparable.

An apoc can also run it's guns cap stable with no cap mods. An abaddon needs cap mods just to keep the guns firing with perfect skills.

The abaddon's resist bonus is effectively a "free" T2 EANM .. so talk about that. Telling people it does "50% more damage at similar ranges" is a flat out lie, or the end result of EFT warmongering a fit and not looking at the "optimal" column.

EDIT: In fact, just **** off until you show me a Raven mission fit that can do 700+ DPS.
Cyniac
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2011-09-09 19:24:01 UTC
Just a tad of advice for the OP - Scams around here are like the flu, the more exposed to them you are, the stronger your immunity, you dont need to fall for the scam, just becoming aware of one and understanding how it works helps to avoid them in the future.

This in turn allows you to cut through the nonsense and to learn to interact more with the people around here - a good a reason to hang around as any.
Gregor Palter
#20 - 2011-09-09 20:51:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Gregor Palter
Lady Go Diveher wrote:
A 'baddon will do 25% more DPS with a 37.5% range penalty. It absolutely needs to swap crystals to equal the range .. at which point the DPS is comparable.

An apoc can also run it's guns cap stable with no cap mods. An abaddon needs cap mods just to keep the guns firing with perfect skills.

The abaddon's resist bonus is effectively a "free" T2 EANM .. so talk about that. Telling people it does "50% more damage at similar ranges" is a flat out lie, or the end result of EFT warmongering a fit and not looking at the "optimal" column.

EDIT: In fact, just **** off until you show me a Raven mission fit that can do 700+ DPS.

Yup, 25% more base from BS skill, and it can fit more heat sinks because of... the resist skill. To get the same tank (500+ ) as the Abaddon the Apoc will need 4 resists whereas the Abaddon only needs 3. That leaves 3 heat sinks for the Abaddon and just two for the Apoc. That means that with Scorch you get 772 dps vs 542 which is a 42% increase, not entirely 50% but as a guesstimate I wasn't far off and it's close enough to not warrant your reaction.

Range is not a factor due to being able to fit 2 tracking computers, giving more than enough optimal. The Abaddon with 2 TC's gives 58km optimal which is more than enough for the vast majority of Sansha missions. Ofcourse the Apoc can fit them as well but again, for most Sansha/BR missions you don't need that much so those mids are better spent otherwise.

As a comparison to the Raven I agree that the Apoc does more dps short range, but with scorch that paints a different story and while it still does more it's not brilliant. The vast majority of "standard" pve ships dish out 450-600 dps and somehow people are content with that.. Are they exactly the same? No they're not you're right on that but they embody a similar approach; easymode while agreeing to being sub optimal. That's why I compared them.

Excuses are the refuge of the weak.

12Next page