These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Exploring for the Hamfisted

Author
Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#1 - 2011-11-14 20:37:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Myfanwy Heimdal
I've tried explorjing in my Heron and I have, just the twice, found something.

But most of the the time I am getting my five probes in a pattern and then at the smallest resolution find that after an hour I can't get more than 50% signal on a site.

My main problem seems to be that I can't get to grip with my probes' movement; I try to drag the thing and it goes elsewhere. Or if I do get a signal then one whole probe goes red.

I've read guides and they seem to refer to skills which I can't find and to probe types that I can't locate.

So, I assume (perhaps wrongly) that CCP have changed things. In this case can someone point me to a guide, especially for the ham-fisted, which can help me get a lock onto that signal.

I have Astrometrics to IV and Astrometric Pinpointing to III. I am in a Heron so I must have the right skills. So, what am I doing wrong?

Do I ned to get Persuit. Comb and Sift probes still? I can't find them on the market but, yet, they are referred to in the guides.

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?

iRommel
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2011-11-14 21:47:58 UTC
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Probing

I'll just leave this here and tut to myself..

You are most likely "doing it wrong". How you ara managing that I don't know, I would need more information, ie. probe positioning/type.. etc
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2011-11-14 22:50:10 UTC  |  Edited by: DeMichael Crimson
The probing link posted above is good and the scanning video link in that evelopedia page is how I do scans. Basically all of this info is on that evelopedia page.

The Video explains about holding Shift key and left click mouse on one probe to move all probes simultaneously. You can also hold shift key and left click mouse on one probes scan radius to re-size the scan radius of all probes at the same time. A new feature recently added is hold Alt key and left click mouse on one of the outer probes to move them in closer to or out further from the center probe.

Left click mouse + hold and drag in the system map to rotate the view from top to side.
Right click mouse + hold and drag in the system map to move the view anywhere on your screen.
Scroll Mouse wheel or hold both left and right mouse buttons and move mouse to zoom view in or out.

Best to train all exploration skills at least to level 4.
Archaeology
Astrometrics
Astrometric Rangefinding
Astrometric Pinpointing
Astrometric Acquisition
Survey
Salvaging
Hacking

Installing a couple of scan rigs on your ship will help a lot.
Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I

Top equipment will also help increase scan strength. Combat Probes can only be used with Expanded Probe Launcher.
Sisters Core Probe Launcher or Sisters Expanded Probe Launcher
Sisters Core Scanner Probes
Sisters Combat Scanner Probes

Lastly there are scanning implants that also increase scan strength. Slot 8 - Science Implants
Hardwiring - Poteque Pharmaceuticals 'Prospector' PPH-0, PPH-1 or PPH-2

Watch the video and practice that method. Soon you'll be locking down signatures at 100% in no time at all.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#4 - 2011-11-14 23:59:08 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
The Video explains about holding Shift key and left click mouse on one probe to move all probes simultaneously. You can also hold shift key and left click mouse on one probes scan radius to re-size the scan radius of all probes at the same time. A new feature recently added is hold Alt key and left click mouse on one of the outer probes to move them in closer to or out further from the center probe.

Bolded what is probably the most important advice you can get when you start probing.

To that I'll add: to center your view on a probe, click the name of the probe.
Kaptain Kruncher
Gemini Technologies
#5 - 2011-11-15 07:34:01 UTC
You are reading an old-OLD guide. There haven't been sift, comb or pursuit probes for a couple of years. Any that were lying around in hangers magically became the new type probes with the expansion of that year- the same with the old skills.

Check out any of the guides in the stickies above and that will set you straight.
Myfanwy Heimdal
#6 - 2011-11-15 08:27:14 UTC
Thanks all. I must have stumbled across an old CCP maintained page that I took all the gudes from. I have five guides here and none of which mentions the Shift and Alt controls and four of them refer to old probes.

I did find a Dev Note but that didn't have the Alt conrol on it neither, so that must have come later. And it seems that the Alt key is what I was missing.

So, I was looking at stuff but, clearly, old stuff.

Printer printing and bookmarker bookmarked. Thanks ever so much or putting me right as it was this last Alt business which I was lacking and is the most frustrating part.

Diolch yn fawr pob.

Jenn Makanen
Doomheim
#7 - 2011-11-15 10:44:29 UTC
To give a little more detail, Alt doesn't move things round a probe. It rescales the formation around the center point of the probes.

So if you have four probes, at the corners of a diamond, it will resize that diamond (not the scan range)

And you will find sites that you can't get fully probed out, without high skills and other bonuses. It's annoying, but it happens.

As for dragging things around, make sure you grab the right handle. There've been times I though I was moving something left, but actually was dragging it down. They go blue when selected. Individual handles(the arrows) are better than the faces of the cube, limiting it to one axis of movement.
Myfanwy Heimdal
#8 - 2011-11-15 19:50:06 UTC
Therefore a pilot's spatial problem-solving skills will be a factor in how long it takes to scan down a signature.

Oh, dear.

OllieNorth
Recidivists Incorporated
#9 - 2011-11-15 20:03:54 UTC
I like to rotate the view so it is as close to vertical as I can (looking down at the plane of the ecliptic). Then I put one probe in the center and 4 probes equidistant at North, South, East, and West. If you click (double-click maybe, I don't remember off-hand) on the name of the center probe, it will center your view on that probe. Try to only move the probes when you are either looking down, or looking directly at one side, this helps to avoid misaligning.
Myfanwy Heimdal
#10 - 2011-11-15 20:08:18 UTC
Great tips these, thanks.

Anything to get me away from the mind-numbing mining.

Alaik
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#11 - 2011-11-15 20:17:49 UTC
OllieNorth wrote:
I like to rotate the view so it is as close to vertical as I can (looking down at the plane of the ecliptic). Then I put one probe in the center and 4 probes equidistant at North, South, East, and West. If you click (double-click maybe, I don't remember off-hand) on the name of the center probe, it will center your view on that probe. Try to only move the probes when you are either looking down, or looking directly at one side, this helps to avoid misaligning.

I use the arrows to move the probes, as I can sometimes grab the wrong side of the cube and drag my probes way off target. If I get hold of an arrow, the probes only move along that axis, so you can put them back if your mouse freaks out and drags them way off screen, like mine sometimes does. =)
Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#12 - 2011-11-15 20:31:45 UTC
You must also remember the most important aspect of scanning...

Take your pants off, they don't help you any, only hinder you Cool.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

Jive
Reclamation Fighters Group PLC
#13 - 2011-11-15 22:44:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Jive
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:
I've tried explorjing in my Heron and I have, just the twice, found something.

How quickly can you get into a Buzzard as that gives a bonus to scanning, can't remember the exact stats on it offhand but it will improve your abilities to get hits. also you can cloak up while scanning so that helps in low sec (if your there).

All advice above is good and I run the 5 probe layout all the time and can find most sites without too much problem.

Edit : do you have astro rangefinding? if you dont, get it and train to 3 or 4 for further improvement.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#14 - 2011-11-16 00:39:35 UTC
One of these days I'm going to make a video showing some tips and tricks on probing. A lot of people don't know how to control their probes well, and that's usually the bulk of their problems.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#15 - 2011-11-16 00:41:04 UTC
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:
Anything to get me away from the mind-numbing mining.

Once you figure this out, you'll hate yourself for ever training to fly a barge. Unless you mine out the grav sites you find.

Myfanwy Heimdal
#16 - 2011-11-16 10:10:38 UTC
FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:
One of these days I'm going to make a video showing some tips and tricks on probing. A lot of people don't know how to control their probes well, and that's usually the bulk of their problems.

That will be me, I am not ashamed to say. I managed to sort out a scan last night and I did it, like in all the worst movies, with just fifty seconds left on my probes.

The last fifteen minutes were spent getting from 95% to 100%. I hope that the new skill (finishes Friday) helps me with this last extra push.

I found a mining site and then ran away when something big, hairy and nasty hove to. But it makes a change from normal mining, you are dead rigtht.

I am not in Buzzard at the moment but I will see what I need to get in there. I have my Heron cloaked which is good.

I was hoping to have another run into the filed before downtime but it looks as if I have to do some Real World stuff as today is going to be a busy day.

The tip which has helped me the most is the Alt key. I was able to find the centre of the anomoly rather quickly with that. The using the arrows to adjust individual probes is essential. My mouse sometimes borks its movement and I can then find a proble about 10AU from where it ought to be.

I've only been trying four probes in a tetrahedron; I will try the next time with five.

Now, one further question. Does anyone bother to sell mining sites or if not, why not?

Thanks again one and all

SexTrader
LOst BrotherhoOd
#17 - 2011-11-16 15:21:37 UTC
There are some tough sigs out there. I had one last night ( a grav site ) that I couldn't nail down with 8 probes. All my skills are at 4 or above and I'm using sisters probes on a exploration Tengu.
Guess I'm gonna have to boost that last probe strength skill to 5.

As a side note, I also ran into a Radar site in a .6 high sec system that had 3 battleship rats in it, so be prepared.Big smile
proxwar
Doomheim
#18 - 2011-11-16 15:54:11 UTC
SexTrader wrote:

As a side note, I also ran into a Radar site in a .6 high sec system that had 3 battleship rats in it, so be prepared.Big smile

Watch for the guristas shattered life support site in high sec.

6 raven class BS + 2 or 3 cruisers. First time i was like WTFBBQ Shocked
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#19 - 2011-11-16 16:26:23 UTC
proxwar wrote:
SexTrader wrote:

Watch for the guristas shattered life support site in high sec.

6 raven class BS + 2 or 3 cruisers. First time i was like WTFBBQ Shocked

Explore in an battlecruiser. Plenty of utility slots (if you're doing it in highsec) and you can take on anything short of the DED 4/10s without much trouble.

I fly a Legion for my exploration work these days.

Myfanwy Heimdal
#20 - 2011-11-16 16:50:35 UTC
I went in a .6 High Sec site yesterday and the then found my miner's armour melting all around me.

12Next page