These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Counter destroyers?

Author
Kialopreyst
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-09-25 15:03:01 UTC
7'62 SKS wrote:
Mike Adoulin wrote:
Leto Thule wrote:
I have never understood why more people dont use ECM to protect against gankers.

Because they AFK silly!!!

Also, wouldn't work, the Griffin would get popped first....just means you have to spend an extra gank Cat to nail the miner.

I thought about that, but I disagree.

I also disagree. We just use a suicide Griffin to jam the other Griffin.
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#22 - 2013-09-25 15:15:20 UTC
Can that countercat griffin fit a tractor beam and a salvager in it's highs and still be viable? If so it would serve a dual purpose ship IMO... not only can you c*ckblock the gank, but you can scoop the loot after the fact. Just sayin... I'm not a ganker, but I'm gank-curious. Plus whiskey has a way of makin me wanna see things explode. Tangenting, sorry.... I like the fit and the idea quite a bit, partly because I'm quite enjoying the "emergent gameplay" that's been evolving as a result of this ganking phenomena. As an added plus it gives a purpose to ships that all too often are not used in game due to them not being incredibly useful in fleet engagements. If this trend results in more people using electronic attack ships to good use I'd say it's a damned good thing, as they are sorely underused in other aspects of the game.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#23 - 2013-09-25 15:24:12 UTC
Kialopreyst wrote:
7'62 SKS wrote:
Mike Adoulin wrote:
Leto Thule wrote:
I have never understood why more people dont use ECM to protect against gankers.

Because they AFK silly!!!

Also, wouldn't work, the Griffin would get popped first....just means you have to spend an extra gank Cat to nail the miner.

I thought about that, but I disagree.

Me, personally? I'd just take my chances on the reaction time of the Griffin pilot, to be honest. Anything more complicated than that, you're risking the gank falling apart on timing issues. If you mis-time the griffin-jam, you've got Concord already on the scene when the gank boats land.

Omar; No reason why not. You can even fit a single drone, if you *really* want to pimp it out. P

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

7'62 SKS
Doomheim
#24 - 2013-09-25 15:24:38 UTC  |  Edited by: 7'62 SKS
Kialopreyst wrote:

Hmmmm... Everything has a counter. Which brings up this:

[Blackbird, Countercat]
'Hypnos' Signal Distortion Amplifier I
Gravimetric Backup Array I

'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
ECCM - Gravimetric I
ECCM - Gravimetric I

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Medium Particle Dispersion Augmentor I
Medium Particle Dispersion Augmentor I

90 sensor strength vs Griffin with 5x jams at 8 strength each. Assuming the Griffin doesn't screw up and land outside of its optimal range of the BB orbiting at 100km. Spice up the ECCM with T2 (only need Electronic Warfare to 4), OH the rack when the **** hits the fan, and it's got almost 140 sensor strength while jamming with 9-11 strength vs Catalyst with 11-13 sensor strength.
Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#25 - 2013-09-25 15:39:01 UTC
^ This

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-09-25 15:43:13 UTC
Bottom line here, is that some people are adapting gameplay. They are at the keyboard, playing the game. Attempting to use actual countermeasures instead of whining to change gameplay. Im glad to see it. Adaptation and emergent gameplay right? Both sides should be happy.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-09-25 16:12:34 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
7'62 SKS wrote:
[Griffin, Hypnos Countercat]

'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Small Particle Dispersion Augmentor I
[empty rig slot]

Super cheap, low skill, locks a catalyst in 2.5 seconds or so, each jammer has about a 8 in 11 chance of jamming one catalyst for 20 seconds, depending on skills. This could remove 4 catalysts from the equation far sooner than CONCORD will in a 0.5 system. One or two of these orbiting the miners could really put a kink in the DPS...if pilot reaction time is reasonable. Once a catalyst is locked and jammed, he will be completely disabled until CONCORD can arrive, take over jamming, and destroy the cat.

I understand perfectly why they don't. If you think mining is boring, try guarding miners. I saw a miner get ganked one time by a newbro who slowboated past the "security" to the Retriever, bobbed around in space a bit while he got the nerve to do the needful, then he locked and killed the Retriever. The "security" woke up and try to stop the gank just as the retty sploded. I asked the guy via local why he didn't pre-lock and blow away the catalyst as soon as it went criminal. His answer: Youtube.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

7'62 SKS
Doomheim
#28 - 2013-09-25 16:22:28 UTC
I truly have no dog in this fight, as I don't mine or gank, but the OP's question is interesting. The answer seems to be don't try to destroy the Catalysts, just jam them out for 20 secs and let CONCORD do the rest. The Catalysts aren't alpha machines, they're DPS. So interrupting that DPS would be a big problem for them. Reaction time for CONCORD appears to be about 18 seconds assuming everything in the gankers' favor. Even a half-asleep miner alt on a second account, or a corporate noob, in a Blackbird with no sebo should be able to do better than that by more than half. Theoretically, that means the gankers need to bring twice the number of Catalysts "just to be sure" (and/or one or two suicide Griffins maybe). That complicates their logistics, and as I said before, realistically just means they'll choose another target rather than trying to counter the counter and hoping for a lucky jam or sleeping Blackbird pilot.

The real issue seems to lie in motivation. If ganking is perceived as a realistic threat, then having a Blackbird on scene is a realistic counter. The problem is that for miners, mining efficiency seems to be their holy grail. Any pilot (alt or corpmate) placed in a security role is one less pilot mining, which lowers their efficiency from its potential. If you're talking a corpmate into doing it, then the Blackbird pilot needs to be compensated for their time, which would be very boring, and would cut into their efficiency again all to prevent an event that might not be coming in the first place.

For a miner running multiple accounts and using expensive ships, using one of those accounts for a Blackbird seems like an obvious choice.

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#29 - 2013-09-25 16:38:52 UTC
Logic is great. But that Blackbird account could be another Retriever mining ore... Min/max is the real reason there are not more proper responses to ganking.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

7'62 SKS
Doomheim
#30 - 2013-09-25 16:45:12 UTC  |  Edited by: 7'62 SKS
Zappity wrote:
Logic is great. But that Blackbird account could be another Retriever mining ore... Min/max is the real reason there are not more proper responses to ganking.

So in the end, it's the gankers who aren't doing their job properly. If they stepped it up a notch so that ganking was a realistic threat to the average miner, then min/max would require security to counter them. I guess, as it stands atm, it's better to take the risk of running a mining op without security in terms of min/max.

I was talking to a new player just the other day who -loves- mining, especially while AFK. He's only a couple months old, and only has one account, so the cost of a retriever is a big deal to him. He is aware of the possibility of getting ganked in high sec. However, he prefers to maximize his mining yield, loves to go AFK as much as possible, and doesn't bother to tank his ship at all, nor does he research ways to help increase his chance of surviving a gank. I'd call him foolish, but then again, he's been mining alone and carefree for weeks on end and no one has found him yet. Maybe he's made enough extra ISK by min/maxing to replace his retriever once/if he does get ganked. Maybe the fact that he can go AFK and do other stuff while mining increases the enjoyment he gets per hour, and he wouldn't be happy if he was forced to be at attention at all times watching mining lasers burn holes in rocks. *shrug*
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#31 - 2013-09-25 16:57:30 UTC
7'62 SKS wrote:
Zappity wrote:

So in the end, it's the gankers who aren't doing their job properly. If they stepped it up a notch so that ganking was a realistic threat to the average miner, then min/max would require security to counter them. I guess, as it stands atm, it's better to take the risk of running a mining op without security in terms of min/max.

No, not really... Except in as much as not enough people go a'ganking.

The biggest problem with defending against ganking is, as previously noted, guarding the Targets is boring. Reaction time falls off and attention wanders. But an at-the-keyboard miner doesn't really *need* external security anyway.

Rather than bothering with guards, they can load shield maintenance drones in the Orca and Barges. Assign the maintenace drones to the Orca, and the Orca pilot can put them on whichever Barge is in danger. I don't *think* that so-assigned, a particular Barges' drones can help their home boat, but all the others can. One or two barges might wish to reserve their own drones and put them on the Orca at the same time. Just so that all ships in the mining fleet are covered. Combine this with max-tank fits, and you've got a tough nut to crack, and one that is relatively boredom-proof.

Not impossible to gank, but you'll need more than a small fleet to do it.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

7'62 SKS
Doomheim
#32 - 2013-09-25 17:23:55 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Rather than bothering with guards, they can load shield maintenance drones in the Orca and Barges. Assign the maintenace drones to the Orca, and the Orca pilot can put them on whichever Barge is in danger.

I'm pretty sure that shield/armor maintenance drones cannot be assisted to anyone and thereby controlled by a "drone bunny" like DPS drones can.
Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-09-25 18:12:06 UTC
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:
Leto Thule wrote:
7'62 SKS wrote:
[Griffin, Hypnos Countercat]

'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

[empty rig slot]

Super cheap, low skill, locks a catalyst in 2.5 seconds or so, each jammer has about a 8 in 11 chance of jamming one catalyst for 20 seconds, depending on skills. This could remove 4 catalysts from the equation far sooner than CONCORD will in a 0.5 system. One or two of these orbiting the miners could really put a kink in the DPS...if pilot reaction time is reasonable. Once a catalyst is locked and jammed, he will be completely disabled until CONCORD can arrive, take over jamming, and destroy the cat.

I understand perfectly why they don't. If you think mining is boring, try guarding miners. I saw a miner get ganked one time by a newbro who slowboated past the "security" to the Retriever, bobbed around in space a bit while he got the nerve to do the needful, then he locked and killed the Retriever. The "security" woke up and try to stop the gank just as the retty sploded. I asked the guy via local why he didn't pre-lock and blow away the catalyst as soon as it went criminal. His answer: Youtube.

Should I be surprised? No.

Lol...

Maybe I should edit my statement to say "NON-AFK ECM".

Netflix should have its own KillBoard.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#34 - 2013-09-25 21:03:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
7'62 SKS wrote:
Zappity wrote:

I was talking to a new player just the other day who -loves- mining, especially while AFK. He's only a couple months old, and only has one account, so the cost of a retriever is a big deal to him. He is aware of the possibility of getting ganked in high sec. However, he prefers to maximize his mining yield, loves to go AFK as much as possible, and doesn't bother to tank his ship at all, nor does he research ways to help increase his chance of surviving a gank. I'd call him foolish, but then again, he's been mining alone and carefree for weeks on end and no one has found him yet. Maybe he's made enough extra ISK by min/maxing to replace his retriever once/if he does get ganked. Maybe the fact that he can go AFK and do other stuff while mining increases the enjoyment he gets per hour, and he wouldn't be happy if he was forced to be at attention at all times watching mining lasers burn holes in rocks. *shrug*

I would hope so, a Retriever should be able to pay for itself in around 4 hours if you assume 6-8 million isk p/h. Getting ganked very much depends on where he mines, if he's in a quiet system with little traffic then he's unlikely to catch the attention of gankers and has already unknowingly taken steps to avoid them.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Vrenth
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-09-25 21:21:46 UTC
Matilda Cox wrote:

what ship would this be? and how fast could i blow up a destroyer?

Smartbombs will destroy a large group of catalysts instantly Twisted
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#36 - 2013-09-26 02:33:59 UTC
Vrenth wrote:
Matilda Cox wrote:

what ship would this be? and how fast could i blow up a destroyer?

Smartbombs will destroy a large group of catalysts instantly Twisted

I was going to suggest the same thing.

The smartbombs will also take out any nasty rats that get in the way of your mining too.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

7'62 SKS
Doomheim
#37 - 2013-09-26 04:15:02 UTC
Smartbombs will also hit any cloaky neutral positive-sec-status alt that the gankers are using as a warp-in, thereby bringing CONCORD down on your smartbombing BS.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#38 - 2013-09-26 06:19:31 UTC
7'62 SKS wrote:
Smartbombs will also hit any cloaky neutral positive-sec-status alt that the gankers are using as a warp-in, thereby bringing CONCORD down on your smartbombing BS.

People use cloaky positive sec status alts for warpins?

Odd.

I use a Procurer alt that doesn't have cloaking trained, and has a slightly negative sec status.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Kasenumi Aakiwa
Doomheim
#39 - 2013-09-26 09:59:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Kasenumi Aakiwa
Jove Death wrote:
Move to another systems Big smile

I wonder why that is so hard. At this very moment there are 12 systems that I can see in a quick look at the starmap that you can mine in the "borderline" of lowsec (.5 and .6) positioned in a way that the only ships jumping there are going there, so you will see a ganking from mile away.

But that is the "ego miner", they have to mine afk where the gankage is happening. They have to try to "fight the power" by hull tanking a group of people that experct to be concorded and still ask for advice on how to fight them.

Maybe the paying thing is the better anyways, so they stay there and dont come here. LOL

And I wonder what is the "average miner", because I havent seen most miners I know or heard of complaining about ganking. I see them earning fortunes because of gankage ghost around the afk miners and market speculation. As far as I can see, the prices in Caldari and 2 Gallentean regions changed a bit from the Interdiction thingy, and have been changing since the new generalized gankage fever, but the number of units traded remains the same, which leads to the inexorably conclusion that whatever gankage may be, it is not a problem for the "average miner", but just for the "low earning (semi) afk miner".
7'62 SKS
Doomheim
#40 - 2013-09-26 13:33:09 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
7'62 SKS wrote:

People use cloaky positive sec status alts for warpins?

Odd.

I use a Procurer alt that doesn't have cloaking trained, and has a slightly negative sec status.

Even if you saw a big smarty battleship sitting right on top of the miners you were intending to gank? It just seems like landing a neutral right next to the whole blob of miners and BS is an obvious counter. Plus, the BS and everyone being protected by the BS would have to be in the same corp as "close enough to kill the cats" would be in range of any possible gank target.