These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Best Rail PVE BC?

Author
John Ratcliffe
Tradors'R'us
IChooseYou Alliance
#1 - 2013-09-24 14:46:24 UTC
Am trying to make a PVE rail fit BC for a friend that has just got T2 medium rails and blasters. I have used a Brutix which seems decent, but is there a better hull to consider? Ferox was disappointing. He can fly all racial BCs (all V). We would consider Navy or Faction if it gave a suitable performance.

TIA.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Antillie Sa'Kan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-09-24 15:25:52 UTC
Well the Brutix and the Ferox are the two main choices. The Brutix Navy Issue isn't as tanky as the other two but it has a sexy tracking bonus and an extra slot. If you are able to look outside of the BC class I have heard good things about the rail Proteus since the recent buff to rails.
Darling Hassasin
Parental Control
Didn't want that Sov anyway.
#3 - 2013-09-25 06:02:17 UTC
Tbh for low level missions the Ferox is probably better than the Brutix, all other things being equal. A bit less dps for better application at range works well with new high dps /low tracking rails. Overall they are pretty similar.

Proteus, Deimos, Eagle (this one no drones though could end up waiting for dt tackled by a spider drone...) and better than all others together, Astarte, are all there should you wish to consider them. Oh and Vigilant, tank is weak but frig killing is ezzzy and the dps rocks...
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#4 - 2013-09-25 06:25:42 UTC
For what kind of Pve? I bet the Navy Brutix would rock.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#5 - 2013-09-25 07:29:53 UTC
If it's L3 missions I'd put my money on the Navy Brutix, however a regular Brutix or Ferox is fine too. That's pretty much as good as it gets without stepping up to T3s/CSs.
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#6 - 2013-09-25 07:46:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Tauranon
John Ratcliffe wrote:
Am trying to make a PVE rail fit BC for a friend that has just got T2 medium rails and blasters. I have used a Brutix which seems decent, but is there a better hull to consider? Ferox was disappointing. He can fly all racial BCs (all V). We would consider Navy or Faction if it gave a suitable performance.

TIA.

I fitted and tried both a vigilant and a deimos for level 4s, both work fine so long as you either stay unwebbed or deal with webs immediately.

the fall off bonus means they are less fussy about going over optimal when kiting on the AB than a brutix.

I preferred the vigilant because it has more base dps, so the usual fit has 1 less magstab and 1 more resist (than a diemos), so its easier for it to tank angels if required, and it has the web bonus that is a good safety feature given med rails don't track so good and you are likely to bring medium drones for dps reasons, not lights.
Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#7 - 2013-09-25 11:15:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertrand Butler
For BCs in L3, use this:

[Brutix Navy Issue, Brutix Navy Issue L3]

Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor EM Hardener II
Medium Armor Repairer II

Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
10MN Afterburner II

250mm Railgun II, Plutonium Charge M
Small Tractor Beam II

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Hybrid Locus Coordinator II
Medium Hybrid Locus Coordinator II

The fourth magstab is exchangeable for more tank if needed, a DDA if he has good drone skills or a TE. You can also change a cap mod for a web.

The king for the role right now is Astarte, followed by a Proteus, a Vigilant or a Deimos.
stoicfaux
#8 - 2013-09-25 11:27:24 UTC
Alternatively, Ishtar with 800 DPS out to 93km optimal + 12km falloff. Or you can get 100km optimal with 2xScope II rigs. Ship targeting range is 100km. CPU makes for tight fitting. You can stick a meta cap recharger in the remaining mid if desired.

This thing simply tears through level 3s.

[Ishtar, MAR II]
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Medium Armor Repairer II

Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
[empty med slot]
Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I

Drone Link Augmentor I
Auto Targeting System I
Auto Targeting System I
Civilian Gatling Railgun, Civilian Railgun Charge

Medium Drone Scope Chip I
Medium Drone Scope Chip I

Garde II x5
Ogre II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#9 - 2013-09-25 11:30:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertrand Butler
Well yes, but that not a BC, nor a rail ship.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-09-25 12:59:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Kitty Bear
it's easy to do as a rail ship for pve though

[Ishtar, PvE Rails]

4x 200mm Railgun II

2x Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
10MN Afterburner II
2x Cap Recharger II (or 1 + 1 Tracking Computer II with Speed Script)

Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
2x Drone Damage Amplifier II

2x Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I

5x Garde II
5x Hammerhead II
5x Hobgoblin II

As for the BC, for pve they are pretty standard for active tanks

fill the highslots with 1 bonused weapon type
put a 10mn AB in a midslot
add 3-4 tanking tanking modules where appropriate
the remaining Low & Mid slots you just fill with utility & dps application mods
use tank, utility or dps rigs (which ever you feel needs the most attention)

which for a brutix or Ferox would mean TC/TE+MFS & cap rechargers/booster
utility for pve is mostly just Cap Management for which upto 6 mins is plenty

[edit]
for the Ishtar, if you don't like Sentries and needing to be sat right next to them all the time
you can try swapping the Tracking Links for Nav Comps and use Ogres instead
don't know how workable this is, just throwing it out as a theory crafting idea.
The Spod
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-09-25 13:55:24 UTC  |  Edited by: The Spod
Answer to OP would be brutix, 3 magstabs, loads of tracking computers, burst aerator II. Javelin ammo looks quite tempting. Cap injector / ab / sebo as utility, armor tank.
Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#12 - 2013-09-25 14:07:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertrand Butler
The Spod wrote:
Answer to OP would be brutix, 3 magstabs, loads of tracking computers, burst aerator II. Javelin ammo looks quite tempting.

Its a little better to fit a collision accelerator II though, it doesn't need more juice to run, you conserve ammo and are able to drop less volleys in some targets (depending on the ship of course, the above holds true for Ferox)...DPS is also almost identical. Blink
Steve Spooner
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2013-09-25 16:08:32 UTC
Astarte/Phobos. Hue hue hue because people always assume blaster Astarte.
stoicfaux
#14 - 2013-09-25 23:27:20 UTC
Bertrand Butler wrote:
Well yes, but that not a BC, nor a rail ship.

True but....
* how many rail boats can put out 800 DPS to 100km and have 100km targeting range?
* if the OP has BC5 they may have Cruiser V as well,
* if the OP is training for T2 Large Rails then they may want to switch to sentry drones and cruiser V instead. A Naga with 425s, CN Antimatter, 3xTCs, and 3xFaction MagStabs does 786 DPS out to 76km+58km with 93km of targeting range. =/

Off topic or just something that makes you go "hhmmmm, why am I training rails again?" Straight

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#15 - 2013-09-26 01:01:40 UTC
Navy brutix has some of the most beastly damage projection you can find on a ship.

I'd go with that.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#16 - 2013-09-26 01:31:10 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:

Off topic or just something that makes you go "hhmmmm, why am I training rails again?" Straight

Hehe, don't get me wrong, I love drone boats, especially the new Ishtar. Its the OP that wanted a rail BC fit for his friend, I think the new navy Brutix fills the role beautifully..C:
Panzerjak Panzer
Deaf Squadron
#17 - 2013-09-26 04:00:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Panzerjak Panzer
I use 250mm Rail-guns on my Proteus for Level 4 and Wormhole, it serves me well and i get about 500 dps on the guns,

If you are willing to use Tech 3s, but navy brutix will do the job nicely
Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
New Eden Tech Support
#18 - 2013-09-26 11:35:41 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
For what kind of Pve? I bet the Navy Brutix would rock.

I love my Navy Brutix ... granted, I should probably be making better use of a ship capable of doing more than 290DPS [including Hob II's] but... I mean, it has space camo Bear Adding Cap Recharger II's really helped me balance out my lack of SP and the armor tank is pretty decent. Using Meta 4 rails with faction antimatter and tungsten gives me a couple of options for projecting force as needed.

My noob is showing, I know... it can only get better :D