These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CONCORD, Pirate Factions, and Capsuleers

Author
Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-09-24 20:12:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Silas Vitalia
As wizard hat wearing lore-nerds we like poking deep into the prime fiction to uncover as many rocks as possible. A few questions I've been thinking about:

Player capsuleers are under pretty tight CONCORD restrictions: who we can shoot in space, that sort of thing. CONCORD monitors the player capsuleers pretty closely. I've always assumed the eve playerbase represents the portion of the capsuleers that are 'independent' of the faction navies. Perhaps as part of the Yulai Accords the empires agreed to have x % of their capsuleers be independent, who knows.

What is the extent of CONCORD jurisdiction and control over the Empire Faction capsuleers, of which there are legions? I doubt the Empires would put all of their most powerful resources (navy capsuleers) under the thumb of external authority.

What is the extend of their power related to pirate faction capsuleers? I know Mordu's Legion or the Blood Raiders aren't exactly asking CONCORD for permission when using clone soldier or their own capsuleer-piloted vessels

I realize CONCORD is sort of a catch-all to make some of the gameplay work, but inquiring minds want to know :)

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Roga Dracor
Gladiators of Rage
Fraternity.
#2 - 2013-09-24 21:49:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Roga Dracor
I've always imagined that CONCORD must have some back door diplomacy going on with some of the pirate factions. With the notable exception of Nation, and perhaps EoM...

Perhaps under the auspices of SoE, who provide their services to many outside CONCORD's jurisdictional reach..

CONCORD has shown itself capable of some shady dealings in the past..

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then, and it's a poor sort of memory that only works backward.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-09-24 22:07:11 UTC
Overall I think CONCORD is pretty much powerless when dealing with Capsuleers. They can destroy our ships for violating laws and that's really it. The only time they ever revoke our permission to fly is when we don't keep up with the bills. Other than that, ship destruction and a security point penalty is about all they can do.

Obviously this is fine in the actual game, but in the lore it's a bit sketchy. The only logical explanation I can think of for why CONCORD lets capsuleers do pretty much anything they want is that the organization is horribly corrupt, making it impossible for CONCORD to ground criminal pilots and make arrests.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#4 - 2013-09-24 22:19:38 UTC
I'll have to find the reference but I think it's out there that CONCORD basically maintains a remote access and tracking for every single capsuleer vessel.

I of course prefer a weaker and less omnipotent CONCORD for PF reasons, because it just makes more sense that way....

Once you start peering too closely under the hood of CONCORD mechanics things kind of start falling apart, I hope things get ironed out a bit more PF wise someday.

Or you know.... eliminate CONCORD :P

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#5 - 2013-09-25 05:36:25 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
Overall I think CONCORD is pretty much powerless when dealing with Capsuleers. They can destroy our ships for violating laws and that's really it. The only time they ever revoke our permission to fly is when we don't keep up with the bills. Other than that, ship destruction and a security point penalty is about all they can do.

Obviously this is fine in the actual game, but in the lore it's a bit sketchy. The only logical explanation I can think of for why CONCORD lets capsuleers do pretty much anything they want is that the organization is horribly corrupt, making it impossible for CONCORD to ground criminal pilots and make arrests.

I'd always thought of CONCORD as being ideologically opposed to capital punishment.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Isis Dea
Society of Adrift Hope
#6 - 2013-09-25 05:52:09 UTC
I don't have sources on hand and having trouble where I pulled this bit from (9 years of play makes things murky) so take this all as a grain of salt, lol

Memory recalls as said CONCORD is integrated with capsuleer tech, as the pod itself came from the Jovians and the technology doesn't interface to the neocom network without registering within CONCORD's network. That's half of the deal.

The other half is a grid, it runs throughout all 0.5 and above systems with greater stability and enforcement the higher you go in security (which makes you wonder for non-capsuleers if the systems are actually safer beyond their security status). This explains the inhuman almost-machine precise response provided by CONCORD in the event an immortal commits a crime.

Yet it only is in response to capsuleers. NPC pirate factions know this. (This is why they won't help you in a mission.)

If I remember right CONCORD actually isn't some galactic anti-crime force (like we know them), they're just an Assembly, a neutral mediator of the four empires (of which the Republic's seat is constantly debated over). The Jovians emplaced CONCORD after everyone had access to the pod and told the four empires all they would function as is guardians of their investment (the capsule), hence why the tech behind CONCORD has remained the most safeguarded secret kept from all four of the empires to this present day.

Or something along the lines of this.

More Character Customization :: Especially compared to what we had in 2003...