These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

HULL tanking

Author
The Spod
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-09-22 21:13:34 UTC
Before eve launched hull tanking was a thing, with mechanics in place for seeping damage into modules through low hull. Bring it back.

Make hull HP 5-50x of what it is now.
Make hull damage punch through into modules, disabling them.

I want to tear down the pride and clothes of the enemy ship one module at a time, pitting MANHOOD against manhood until one is incapacitated and limp.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2 - 2013-09-22 21:29:37 UTC
Except for most combat ships, by the time you get into hull you're more or less finished - so wouldn't damaging modules merely hasten one's demise? I like the idea of weapons fire seeping through to heat damage modules, but maybe this should be with low armor or shields?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#3 - 2013-09-22 21:34:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
The Spod wrote:
Before eve launched hull tanking was a thing, with mechanics in place for seeping damage into modules through low hull. Bring it back.

I want to tear down the pride and clothes of the enemy ship one module at a time, pitting MANHOOD against manhood until one is incapacitated and limp.

What about the girl gamers who don't have manhoods?

As for you Arthur: I find your lack of faith disturbing in so much as Gallente ships have a lot of HP in Structure...

And this isn't the first time this has been posted recently.

EDIT: found one on Page 2 of this search _ Buff Hull tanking
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#4 - 2013-09-22 21:35:09 UTC
The Spod wrote:

At least buy them a drink first.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-09-22 22:06:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
I'm into doubling hull HP across most of the board, along with enhancing the hull-buffing modules. It would be nice to see hull tank fits become semi viable beyond simply fitting a damage control, because eating into hull should at least occasionally be savored.

I also can't help thinking of the Star Trek: Voyager two-part episode 'Year of Hell'

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Humang
Sudden Buggery
Sending Thots And Players
#6 - 2013-09-23 05:27:45 UTC
Sounds logical and I could support this, however I would ask if it is chanced based for each hit?, or will damage always seep through to mods?

AFK cloaking thread Summary - Provided by Paikis Good Post Etiquette - Provided by CCP Grayscale

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#7 - 2013-09-23 07:00:49 UTC
or just buff hull reppers so that they can actually rep well enough.
The Spod
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-09-23 07:02:22 UTC  |  Edited by: The Spod
Hull HP should be much larger ehp wise than other tanks, but module damage makes it bad. For example battleship hull should be 200k ehp standard. Dip into hull and your guns and modules start quickly going boom.

Use for nanite repair, more logistics importance for fleet fights (alpha fleets incapacitate hulls but they may be still saved), longer fights escalate to more ship deaths...

Lots of interesting potential. Shield = low tank but absolutely not touching modules.
Armor = good buffer but if it dips below 1/4 hull damage seep all the way to modules.
Hull = best buffer but modules die.

First suggestion:
75% hull resist base. This quadruples hull phase of the fight. Damage control unstacked.

25% of hull damage goes straight to modules, make the number such that full hull damage kills all your modules proportionally. This module damage should have a falloff type declining probability:
• when you have 100% modules left, 100% of hull damage goes to modules
• 10% functional modules left, 10% hull damage hits modules
This way the module death would be instantaneous but hero scenarios like "that last functional gun killed the enemy" would happen.

New module: systematic damage control. Smaller hull resist bonus, but also halves the chance for module damage. For the die hards, cannot fit with other suitcases.
Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#9 - 2013-09-23 07:04:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Azrael Dinn
This proposal has alot of potential. I will support it but it still would need quite abit of tweaking.

Also i would like to see that your ship will eventyaly break down if you do not fix your hull from some point. It kinda makes sense also. Fire in a spaceship or holes going trough your ships structure kinda hints that your ship will not fly much longer unless repaired.

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

Onslaughtor
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#10 - 2013-09-23 09:03:41 UTC
I like it.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#11 - 2013-09-23 11:23:47 UTC
It was on the cards for a reason, we also never saw it for a reason.
The Spod
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-09-23 12:06:29 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
It was on the cards for a reason, we also never saw it for a reason.

Now the reasoning is hidden and there is no implication whether it's accurate today. Mechanics have changed a lot. Might have been lack of dev time causing a feature drop off.

Today the relevant reason to argue would be the lenght of fights. I think prolonged fights (but doomed to die if you dip into hull and module damage unless you get help) would cause more fights to escalate. However the lone wolf would suffer due to prolonged gank attempts being interrupted. Is the current system worth changing?

Personally I would like this. The economic balance (ship death frequency) has to be considered though. The more ships die the better, be it from pvp (escalation vs interruption) or pve (this would cut pve deaths but are those a myth?)
Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#13 - 2013-09-23 12:15:25 UTC
The Spod wrote:
seeping damage into modules through low hull. Bring it back.

This seems to be in the game so no need for 'bring it back'.

Was flying a destroyer and had an encounter which left me very low on hull. Went to a station to fix things and noted that one module had also taken some damage.

Yes, very anecdotal but FWIW.

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

The Spod
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-09-23 12:29:42 UTC
The radical idea is to make hull tank the biggest and best tank (accomplished by 75% base resists). The reason for this is that the hull phase of a fight is the most interesting by nature: flames, impending death etc.

The instant module damage on hitting hull would make going to hull very unwise and put a balance in hull tanking, a strong toll to go there.

Make shield and armor "preferable scenario" but hull the main scenario of tanking, because it is just more interesting to fight at hull as modules pop randomly. Note that for pve things won't change.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#15 - 2013-09-23 13:06:58 UTC
Hull Tanking, Elite wrote:

This certificate represents an elite level of competence in the infamous practice of "hull tanking". It certifies that the holder can fully use all modules relating to hull tanking. The holder is aware that "real men hull tank", and also that hull tanking is really dumb. With this certificate, you've maximised your ability to rely on your structural systems to absorb damage, although hopefully you're smart enough to know what a daft idea that is.

Smile

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#16 - 2013-09-23 14:27:22 UTC
The thought occurs to me that this was potentially rather unfair, say two of Ye are engaging in the shamefull activities described above, both hit hull at the same time but one of Ye looses a mwd ( really doesn't matter yer both scrambled anyway) the other looses your rep mod or dmg control ( decidedly important) .

I fell like there wouldn't be a fair way to determine what gets damaged and what doesn't and if its random..... **** that.

Shivanthar
#17 - 2013-09-23 14:53:28 UTC
The Spod wrote:

I agree here, since it is a random draw to decide which module to drop/destroy now. Instead of a random roll, taking hull damage might start to damage your fitted mods. I liked the idea actually!

_Half _the lies they tell about me **aren't **true.

The Spod
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-09-23 14:58:38 UTC
The thought occurs to me that this was potentially rather unfair, say two of Ye are engaging in the shamefull activities described above, both hit hull at the same time but one of Ye looses a mwd ( really doesn't matter yer both scrambled anyway) the other looses your rep mod or dmg control ( decidedly important) .

I fell like there wouldn't be a fair way to determine what gets damaged and what doesn't and if its random..... **** that.

This is good, since it removes partially the deciding impact of SP in fights. Right now you win if you have all V relevant and the other does not. This is uncompetitive.
Rance Ikari
Perkone
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-09-23 15:04:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Rance Ikari
This is a great idea until you yourself lose the fight to a 2 week scrub because you get a bullsh^t roll and lose your TE/MWD/Web/Scram.
Then you'll come onto the forum and start screaming about how you feel like your invested SP time should make a difference.

Or you're just some pubscrub carebear who thinks PvP has no place in your EVE.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#20 - 2013-09-23 15:24:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
The Spod wrote:

This is good, since it removes partially the deciding impact of SP in fights. Right now you win if you have all V relevant and the other does not. This is uncompetitive.

thers no cure for being a dumbass, sp factors for less than you would like.

What matters is who has their head screwed on the tightest , I don't want to lose a fight cos the internet says no, ill want to lose it cos I ****** up.

Edit: not calling you a dumbass,just saying there's 10y characters with bad players behind them