These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

EN24 advertising RMT?

First post First post
Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#1 - 2013-09-23 10:47:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
I'm currently looking at Eve News24, and there's a banner offering "Fully equipped ships for sale. 40% discount in September !". Thinking this was some kind of ad for an in game industry corp, I check the site out, and see a list of ships and items all being offered for USD, not ISK.
So are Eve News24 officially supporting RMT now?

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Mildew Wolf
#2 - 2013-09-23 10:50:53 UTC
Google ad technology is artificial karma b
Archibald Thistlewaite III
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Miners
#3 - 2013-09-23 10:51:20 UTC
Strange, I only see ads for watches and underwear.

Maybe the ads are tailored to your browsing history.

User of 'Bumblefck's Luscious & Luminous Mustachio Wax'

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#4 - 2013-09-23 10:52:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Archibald Thistlewaite III wrote:

That would be peculiar, since this is at work in an incognito browser window.
If I refresh I seem to get random ads, one being the RMT ad. Surely EN24 should be filtering ads like that out though.

Lugalbandak
Goonswarm.
#5 - 2013-09-23 10:53:32 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
I'm currently looking at Eve News24, and there's a banner offering "Fully equipped ships for sale. 40% discount in September !". Thinking this was some kind of ad for an in game industry corp, I check the site out, and see a list of ships and items all being offered for USD, not ISK.
So are Eve News24 officially supporting RMT now?

ah so you was searchign for cheap isk he?

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

Archibald Thistlewaite III
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Miners
#6 - 2013-09-23 10:57:40 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

If I refresh I seem to get random ads, one being the RMT ad. Surely EN24 should be filtering ads like that out though.

It seems one of your work colleagues is a spy. You should steal all his stuff, just to be safe.

User of 'Bumblefck's Luscious & Luminous Mustachio Wax'

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#7 - 2013-09-23 10:59:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Lucas Kell wrote:

It seems one of your work colleagues is a spy. You should steal all his stuff, just to be safe.
lol, but how will I know which one? Or should I just steal everyone's stuff?

With these RMT sites, why don't CCP just set up sting operations, buying a small item, tracking it back, then banning the living hell out of everyone in the chain?

CCP Stillman
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2013-09-23 11:31:28 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

With these RMT sites, why don't CCP just set up sting operations, buying a small item, tracking it back, then banning the living hell out of everyone in the chain?

You think we don't? Cool

Just a random dude in Team Security.

Rek Seven
Probe Patrol
#9 - 2013-09-23 11:35:00 UTC
CCP Stillman wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You think we don't? Cool

Wait... So CCP is actively engaged in entrapment?
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-09-23 11:36:27 UTC
CCP Stillman wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You think we don't? Cool

Thanks, You're awesome. Big smile

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Setsune Rin
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2013-09-23 11:44:43 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
CCP Stillman wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You think we don't? Cool

is that entrapment?

i thought entrapment meant you have to make somebody commit a crime
like leaving a purse somewhere with a GPS chip, if they dont hand it over its stealing + entrapment

this is a legitimate sting method if it were to apply to actual law enforcement wouldn't it?
Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2013-09-23 11:46:24 UTC
EN24 have published botting guides in the past so it should come as no surprise to see them branching out into RMT advertising as well.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Sarmatiko
#13 - 2013-09-23 11:53:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
CCP Stillman wrote:
You think we don't? Cool

Well, unless you have various russian web payment systems (WebMoney, Yandex-money) to cover multiple russian sites with controlled purchases..
i-want-to-believe.jpg
Bronco Platz
Intercosmic Fruit Company
#14 - 2013-09-23 11:53:29 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
EN24 have published botting guides in the past so it should come as no surprise to see them branching out into RMT advertising as well.

On TMC are such ads, too. So they are also involved in RMT?

This signature is under NDA. Sorry.

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#15 - 2013-09-23 12:00:33 UTC
Re: RMT ads

It's Google Ads, and tied into your browsing habits, in the cases (like incognito) where there's no browsing data to pull it goes by the content of the site and lots of Google adverts are from RMT sites (and the only other is like CCP offering trials).

As an adwords manager (like myself) we have the ability to filter domains/URLs, but not keywords or similar. So it's a constant battle to find new domains, block them and a few days later new ones pop up - at least that's how I work my sites (couldn't say for EN24 how they handle their ads but would assume similar).

In the cases of my sites if people come across domains related to RMT that are showing if wanted just drop me a mail with the URL/domain and I'll add it to the block-list.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Prince Kobol
#16 - 2013-09-23 12:16:10 UTC
Bronco Platz wrote:
Scatim Helicon wrote:

On TMC are such ads, too. So they are also involved in RMT?

TMC have ads for RMT SIte.. never as they are special and the normal rules of Google Ads as Chribba has explained do not apply to them.

Although I do find it funny that by having goons post about how bad EN24 is, what they are actually doing is advertising the site... kind of counter productive but there you go.
Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
ChaosTheory.
#17 - 2013-09-23 12:21:23 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
CCP Stillman wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You think we don't? Cool

Entrapment is inducing a person to commit a crime they would hot have otherwise committed. For something ccp would do to be called entrapment, they'd have to intentionally go out and find a person who isn't even considering RMT and then convince that person to RMT.

Merely offering a person a chance to do what they were going to do anyways (ie conducting a sting) is not entrapment. A cop pretending to be a hooker (in an area known for prostitution) getting picked up by a guy who was looking for a hooker anyway is an example of something IRL that isn't entrapment (though, let me tell you from personal experience, EVERY "john" and his lawyer tries to claim it was, and they never succeed).
Turelus
Utassi Security
#18 - 2013-09-23 12:32:50 UTC
The Internet has adverts?
(yup I'm one of those horrible people who gets you no money due to adblock)

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

Sorao Soreen
Profit to burn
Men Of Mayhem.
#19 - 2013-09-23 12:45:22 UTC
CCP Stillman wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You think we don't? Cool

it realy would not suprize me if ccp did not activaly sell ISK on ebay and other such sites. that way they know exactly who is buying it from them then they get the money for the isk then have stats for a baned account for rmt at the same time. both ways looking good on them. makeing money from the sale of an item thats never gona see thelight of day as soon as the sale is complete :)
CCP Stillman
C C P
C C P Alliance
#20 - 2013-09-23 12:46:49 UTC
Sorao Soreen wrote:
CCP Stillman wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You think we don't? Cool

it realy would not suprize me if ccp did not activaly sell ISK on ebay and other such sites. that way they know exactly who is buying it from them then they get the money for the isk then have stats for a baned account for rmt at the same time. both ways looking good on them. makeing money from the sale of an item thats never gona see thelight of day as soon as the sale is complete :)

Well, be surprised then. We don't. We have better things to do than that Smile

Just a random dude in Team Security.

123Next page