These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

destroyers - gankers and high sec

First post First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#481 - 2013-09-20 15:39:52 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
According to CCP 75% of players reside in high sec.
No.
According to CCP, 65% of characters are in highsec.
Also, 75% of players like PvP and 73% of players like nullsec gameplay.

Link?

Same as always.

35% of characters in other areas than highsec. If, for each one of those characters, the same player has a highsec alt, then that means we have 35% low/null characters, 35% low/null-player alts, and 30% pure highsec characters.

70% non-highsec players corresponds curiously with a 73% nullsec gameplay approval rating…
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#482 - 2013-09-20 15:47:47 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
According to CCP 75% of players reside in high sec.
No.
According to CCP, 65% of characters are in highsec.
Also, 75% of players like PvP and 73% of players like nullsec gameplay.

Link?

Same as always.

35% of characters in other areas than highsec. If, for each one of those characters, the same player has a highsec alt, then that means we have 35% low/null characters, 35% low/null-player alts, and 30% pure highsec characters.

70% non-highsec players corresponds curiously with a 73% nullsec gameplay approval rating…

If we assume of those 35% 15% are in low and WH and of the 20% in null each has a alt for scouting hauling etc that makes 10% of players null sec. Two can play at the assuming game.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#483 - 2013-09-20 15:51:55 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
If we assume of those 35% 15% are in low and WH and of the 20% in null each has a alt for scouting hauling etc that makes 10% of players null sec. Two can play at the assuming game.

Doesn't really matter. The simple fact remains that the supposed highsec majority is not nearly the majority they suppose they are. In fact, they could very easily be a minority, and the constant mewling against PvP is in no way representative even for that small group.
E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#484 - 2013-09-20 15:57:21 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:

Doesn't really matter. The simple fact remains that the supposed highsec majority is not nearly the majority they suppose they are. In fact, they could very easily be a minority, and the constant mewling against PvP is in no way representative even for that small group.

Tipia knows this to be true and factual because she has already written and therefore has to be correct “BONJOUR”
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#485 - 2013-09-20 16:02:34 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Tipia knows this to be true and factual because she has already written and therefore has to be correct “BONJOUR”

Tipia doesn't seem to have been around for almost a decade.

As the facts, I know them to be true and factual because I can read the statistics CCP have gathered, and I understand what this means in relation to the unsourced and highly imaginative claims the “protect highsec” crowd keeps inventing. Well, that, and I don't suffer from any particular kind of paranoia in regards to CCPs studies.
Random Majere
Rogue Fleet
#486 - 2013-09-20 16:04:15 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
You heard wrong.
Link?

I won't link SC in EvE forums as I think that would be rude to do. However I'll post this:

Quote:
Star Citizen is an MMO by almost every definition of MMO. It is ALSO more than an MMO, which is why the FAQ says this so people do not have preconceived MMO discussions.

Unlike 'most' MMOs
- SC includes a single player game (SQ42)
- SC includes private server functionality
- SC is an 'open universe' (unlike many MMOs)
- SC is not a traditional RPG (no combat-affecting trainable stats / XP .. though reputation / citizenship is a stat)

To further illustrate the point, Chris Roberts uses both UO and Guild Wars to define Star Citizens interactions, both of which are MMOs. He 'also' uses multiplayer dynamics from Demon Souls and private server concepts from the traditional PC action genres, which are not MMOs. Again, it is just a statement about preconceptions and not some definitive classification.

Easy to find that post if you use google. SC has a persistent single server where all players connect and retrieve and store data. So I would call that a single sharded universe. There won't be multiple servers.

Infinity Ziona, I agree with you but, you are wasting your time debating how SC will be better then Eve with CCP's moderators/defenders in these very forums. SC WILL be a good game and WILL take players away from EVE. Some will come back to Eve some will stay in SC. For my part I will try it for sure. And if it will be as good as it is expected, I will stay in it. But lets not get into differential details with some of the people in here. It is just a waste of time. Some people will never quit Eve (despite how it turns out) ...and that is fine.
E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#487 - 2013-09-20 16:10:57 UTC
This has been brought up before. Even the devs have been quoted saying that ganking in hi-sec should remain possible just not so much profitable.

I have no problem with being ganked but it doesn’t feel like balance to me given the current game mechanics. Some ships require a minimum investment to fit to allow them to fulfill their roles in hi-sec.

I think part of the problem is that you have to fit one way when you pve while someone can cheap sheet fit for pvp and win. No its not isk tanking its tanking for the specific mission.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#488 - 2013-09-20 16:18:05 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
This has been brought up before. Even the devs have been quoted saying that ganking in hi-sec should remain possible just not so much profitable.

I have no problem with being ganked but it doesn’t feel like balance to me given the current game mechanics. Some ships require a minimum investment to fit to allow them to fulfill their roles in hi-sec.

I think part of the problem is that you have to fit one way when you pve while someone can cheap sheet fit for pvp and win. No its not isk tanking its tanking for the specific mission.

Its not our fault people stuff 3 billion into an untanked badger with its lows stuffed full with cargo expanders.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#489 - 2013-09-20 16:47:00 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

The major reason that highsec suicide ganking is profitable; some people are idiots.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#490 - 2013-09-20 16:47:49 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
I think part of the problem is that you have to fit one way when you pve

lol...try looking at mission runner killmails sometime

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#491 - 2013-09-20 16:54:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Tippia wrote:
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

Tipia doesn't seem to have been around for almost a decade.

As the facts, I know them to be true and factual because I can read the statistics CCP have gathered, and I understand what this means in relation to the unsourced and highly imaginative claims the “protect highsec” crowd keeps inventing. Well, that, and I don't suffer from any particular kind of paranoia in regards to CCPs studies.
This reminds me of the bullshit of "the majority of players are solo players".
Peoples inability to see their bias filter is sometimes frightening me...

Peoples ability to make things up that weren't said and BELIEVING that scares me even more...

But todays earthquake, besides being little,
AND THIS GIGANTIC FRIGHTENING GRUMBLING EVERYWHERE
scared me the most.

Hahaha oh my this killed my mental balance.
James Akachi
Perkone
Caldari State
#492 - 2013-09-20 17:40:34 UTC  |  Edited by: James Akachi
baltec1 wrote:
James Akachi wrote:

well not necessarily. I play because the game and universe is beautiful, if you gave me a single player RPG with Eve's graphics and ships I would be playing that instead, sadly no such game exists, at least not one I enjoy.

X3.

Tried that, even compared to Eve its interface is abysmal, and not nearly as good graphically plus not the kind of gameplay I want. Next?

Star Citizen, I'll believe it when I see it. But a single player version of Eve with a real campaign would be something I would play gladly.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#493 - 2013-09-20 17:48:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
@ James Akachi
X3 may not be to your taste, the follow up X Rebirth certainly looks stunning though.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

James Akachi
Perkone
Caldari State
#494 - 2013-09-20 17:59:27 UTC  |  Edited by: James Akachi
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
@ James Akachi
X3 may not be to your taste, the follow up X Rebirth certainly looks stunning though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtXV34Py2fI Now this looks like controls I can get into... Maybe it will pan out indeed! Let's not derail too much with discussion of other games though...my original point was not everyone plays Eve for the prospect of PvP Pirate
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#495 - 2013-09-20 18:19:56 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

The major reason that highsec suicide ganking is profitable; some people are idiots.

And no matter how hard they try, CCP can't patch 'Stupid.'
Dave Stark
#496 - 2013-09-20 18:20:53 UTC
Plastic Psycho wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

even if they could; they shouldn't.
Georgina Parmala
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#497 - 2013-09-20 18:27:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Georgina Parmala
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Never been in a gang so not sure about this but couldn't the hulk assign his rep drones to the orca and if not might it have been possible he was going to use them on the Orca thinking a larger force may warp in to gank it?

The Hulk's drones are incapable of repairing the hulk, but can be used to repair the orca or any other ships. It's also entirely possible the Orca was fitted with a large shield transporter.

Infinity Ziona wrote:

Do not watch Star Citizen trailer on YouTube. It'll make you fearful of EvEs future beyond 2014 :)

I just watched it and went "eh, that looks like a half decent Homeworld 3 cinematic before dropping you into a mission "

Unless it sports rocks that don't run out, auto targeting strip miners, and invincible drones that ferry your cargo to station it's no match for EvE.

Infinity Ziona wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Lol what selling points.
Single-shard MMO, player-driven economy, all-aspect multiplayer sandbox.

It will have one persistent universe, the economy will be player driven. The missions will be generated by player owned assets dynamically.

Not sure about sandbox but I imagine taking systems won't require emailing CCP for reinforcing nodes or waiting 24 hours to blow someone's crap up, sending them an email and letting them pick the best time to gank you.

Hardly sandbox is it.

I don't see anything about single-shard MMO in the snipet you posted. I do see Private server functionality though, which throws that single shard thing right out the window.

Also, I hear you like games where you get a hundred guys together to accomplish a goal, only to have 10 people undo all your progress over night while you sleep/go to work. Do you have a better idea than timers for protecting player generated structures from other players?

Science and Trade Institute [STI] is an NPC entity and as such my views do not represent those of the entity or any of its members

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=276984&p=38

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#498 - 2013-09-20 19:03:42 UTC
SC is what freelancer was meant to be. Its no threat to EVE.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#499 - 2013-09-20 19:07:49 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Plastic Psycho wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

They're trying their best.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Dave Stark
#500 - 2013-09-20 19:09:46 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Plastic Psycho wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

They're trying their best.

blizzard constantly trying to patch stupid was why i started giving ccp my money instead of blizzard.

guess i need to find another company to give my money to now...