These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

GM clarification on rewording of the Terms of Service

First post First post First post
Author
Xenien 0r181247
Doomheim
#1601 - 2013-09-19 09:02:54 UTC
Zentiu wrote:
Alduin666 Shikkoken wrote:
I know I may be a bit late on the bandwagon here but what the hell.

I know why you did this, its because you cant exact revenge on the scammer other than trying to defile his 'already bad' reputation. I don't know about you but it seems that the only counter to a scammer is not falling for the scam in the first place (kinda like real life), and that fits the sandbox perfectly.

Also I have a question: I have a list of all my alts on my bio because I don't read mails on my alts, so I just say "If you need to get a hold of alt 1, alt 2, or alt 3, be sure to mail me and not them because any mails/pms on their side will be igorned". I don't scam unless I am in a dire need of ISK and when I do they will usually just be quick 30 min scams that only requires one toon, which I always do on my main (this character). So will just casually saying in corp chat (as an example) "Oh hey just to let you know these guys are my alts" get me banned? Or is this "Impersonating myself" only applicable when scamming is involved. Also do I need to get rid of the listing of my alts in my bio, or is that ok to keep?

James315:
Except that Phill never claimed to be anything he wasn't. Phill didn't claim to be the character Abdiel Kavash. He claimed to be an alt of Abdiel Kavash—which he was. At no point Phill told a lie. Does 'impersonation' cover 'truthfully stating the nature of a character'?

GM Karidor:

Both characters Phil and Joe used the name Abdiel Kavash to give of the impression they were somehow related to him. The cases are effectively identical. Yes, with Phil the actual statement of him being an alt is true, but the actual act of the character using the name of Abdiel Kavash does not differ in any capacity at all.

So yes. It is considered impersonation to state that you are the main of these characters. EVEN If you are not scamming anyone right now you are in the crosshairs of being perma'd.

Apparently you read none of the GM's clarifications
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1602 - 2013-09-19 14:42:00 UTC
I still cannot understand why I cannot say that "XXXXX is my ALT", or "I am an ALT of XXXXX?????

These are characters that I pay money for, why can I not say they are a part of me??????

Why am I not allowed to say that I AM ME, just another one of me?????

WHAT THE HELL???Evil

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Grendell
Technologies Unlimited
#1603 - 2013-09-19 14:57:21 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Lei Merdeau wrote:
Sephira Galamore wrote:
GM Karidor wrote:
Standings between entities are usually not taken into consideration, as those are being used in wildly differentiating contexts. Generally speaking, if you're claiming to act on behalf of a player run in-game entity, you should be a member of said entity.

So as CFC, N3, Proviblock, New Order, Bombers Bar etc. are no in-game entities (they are not represented as entities within the game mechanics), there is no way to validate representation w.r.t those and thus there can be no rule violation, right?

or Chribba, which would seem to be the trigger for this.

I'm a trigger for this? That's news to me. What happened?

Everything is always your fault!Lol

◄[♥]►3rd Party Service◄[♥]►

♥ Securing Peace of mind ♥

GM Grimmi
Game Master Retirement Home
#1604 - 2013-09-19 15:46:29 UTC
Hello everyone,

I just want to clear up one little misunderstanding here once and for all.

You cannot impersonate yourself.

Telling others that you’re an alt of a character you own or telling them what other characters you own is not a EULA/TOS violation and will not get you banned.

With the possible exception of using your own alt to mimic your character using spelling trickery in order to trick people into accepting duels with a high skill monster when they thought they were going to duel with puny noob or something like that, and possibly some extreme weird and outlandish edge case we haven’t thought of yet – you cannot impersonate yourself. The example above would not even be self-impersonation as much as it would just be a simple spelling trickery type of deal where it doesn’t really matter who owns the characters in question.

Impersonating yourself does not follow good logic since you are yourself and that is not a violation of any policies we have.

Thanks for reading.

Lead GM Grimmi
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1605 - 2013-09-19 15:47:47 UTC
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:
I still cannot understand why I cannot say that "XXXXX is my ALT", or "I am an ALT of XXXXX?????

These are characters that I pay money for, why can I not say they are a part of me??????

WHAT THE HELL???Evil

My interpretation is as follows:

CCP no longer want (has never wanted! We were always at war with Eastasia!) anyone in EVE Online to ever scam someone via claiming to be, work with, or represent someone else.

If someone is scammed like this, they petition and CCP must do an audit of the characters involved to see if there was any misrepresentation

If there was any misrepresentation, the person should be banned because scamming people via misrepresentation is disallowed. If there wasn't, then the person should not be banned.

As a result, the outcome of the petition leaks data regarding what other characters/accounts a player owns. CCP see this as a Bad Thing™ and they are right.

Rather than admit it is a result of an initially flawed idea - that is, punishing people for misrepresenting who they are - they come up with ludicrous policies to try and patch over the huge issues, such as saying you are not allowed to factually state who your other characters are.
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1606 - 2013-09-19 16:03:45 UTC
Apparently mere seconds before my last post, the GMs have came to their senses

While allowing me to once again freely admit that I am me is a great victory to logic, philosophers, etc all round, it kind of makes that other issue reappear: leaking data.

If I use my alt to scam someone, and they suspect it was me and petition it... presumably nothing happens as admitting to being myself is not a violation. But if nothing happens, then they can deduce that this is my main. They get information about which other characters I own, and I can't metagame and pretend my alt wasn't me

that still seems like a big problem imo
Max Kolonko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1607 - 2013-09-19 16:06:41 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:

WHAT THE HELL???Evil

My interpretation is as follows:

CCP no longer want (has never wanted! We were always at war with Eastasia!) anyone in EVE Online to ever scam someone via claiming to be, work with, or represent someone else.

If someone is scammed like this, they petition and CCP must do an audit of the characters involved to see if there was any misrepresentation

If there was any misrepresentation, the person should be banned because scamming people via misrepresentation is disallowed. If there wasn't, then the person should not be banned.

As a result, the outcome of the petition leaks data regarding what other characters/accounts a player owns. CCP see this as a Bad Thing™ and they are right.

Rather than admit it is a result of an initially flawed idea - that is, punishing people for misrepresenting who they are - they come up with ludicrous policies to try and patch over the huge issues, such as saying you are not allowed to factually state who your other characters are.

Actually, NO!

CCP will not tell You what and even if any action was taken against the guy that scammed You, although it is easy to check if the guy was not banned (he still is online) You may never be sure if he was banned (maybe he is just offline)
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1608 - 2013-09-19 16:31:17 UTC
GM Grimmi wrote:
Hello everyone,

Telling others that you’re an alt of a character you own or telling them what other characters you own is not a EULA/TOS violation and will not get you banned.

With the possible exception of using your own alt to mimic your character using spelling trickery in order to trick people into accepting duels with a high skill monster when they thought they were going to duel with puny noob or something like that, and possibly some extreme weird and outlandish edge case we haven’t thought of yet – you cannot impersonate yourself. The example above would not even be self-impersonation as much as it would just be a simple spelling trickery type of deal where it doesn’t really matter who owns the characters in question.

Impersonating yourself does not follow good logic since you are yourself and that is not a violation of any policies we have.

Thanks for reading.

Lead GM Grimmi

I would like to think my posting had this impact. Thank you GM Grimmi.

Now we can just revert the TOS change, I believe everything would be just fine.

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1609 - 2013-09-19 17:43:56 UTC
Max Kolonko wrote:
Actually, NO!

CCP will not tell You what and even if any action was taken against the guy that scammed You, although it is easy to check if the guy was not banned (he still is online) You may never be sure if he was banned (maybe he is just offline)

As you say, they wont tell you "ok we banned this rude dude", and I imagine in most cases it wouldn't be an immediate ban anyway - rather a warning - but regardless, if your scammed isk/ships/whatever were not reimbursed it would prove the scam was an "acceptable" one - ie all the characters involved were owned by one person
Old Space Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1610 - 2013-09-19 18:04:52 UTC
hilarious. who exactly are the carebears again?

you can't impersonate another character, even one of your own, to further a scam. boo hoo. suck it up and figure out a solution to run a scam without contravening the rule.

or are you only able to run scams that one and only one way?

all these tears make me wonder who the real carebears are.
Zentiu
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1611 - 2013-09-19 22:25:36 UTC
Old Space Guy wrote:
hilarious. who exactly are the carebears again?

you can't impersonate another character, even one of your own, to further a scam. boo hoo. suck it up and figure out a solution to run a scam without contravening the rule.

or are you only able to run scams that one and only one way?

all these tears make me wonder who the real carebears are.

You are a pillock. The fact that you can't say your character is your own is the problem. It's not just about the scams but about the entire concept of forcing players to have a meta'd level of trust instead of established trust. The fact that you cannot just claim another character, but relationship to an NPC entity, Corp, or alliance is the problem. This ruins RP for the people who actually do that as they can no longer claim to be part of whatever entity they RP as (Mordus Angels being an example of this). Another example is psychological warfare against enemies, you can no longer claim to be part of XXX alliance just to cause distrust of XXX alliance. If I blow up some mining frigate and I say "XXX Sends his regards" XXX may be less trusted and more hated by that person and their friends.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#1612 - 2013-09-19 22:39:57 UTC
Old Space Guy wrote:

You're reading a modifier into the rule that, by the nature of EVE, isn't there.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Nirnaeth Ornoediad
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1613 - 2013-09-20 01:27:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Nirnaeth Ornoediad
GM Grimmi wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading.

Lead GM Grimmi

Thank you for letting us again say things like "I'll log in my Leadership V alt now" or "Jim, can you please login your Rorqual alt".

As an aside, your example above isn't great: you can generally infer the number of SP from toon age, which errs on side of being low (i.e. not all old toons have high SP, but all high SP toons are old). You can infer relative dangerousness by looking at someone's killboard.

Honestly, you guys could have kept this very simple.

"The Eveopedia is now protected in the same manner as Recruitment Channels and the Newbie Systems." and possibly "You may not impersonate yourself as a member of the ISD or the CSM."

Fix POSes.  Every player should want one (even if all players can't have one).

Old Space Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1614 - 2013-09-20 03:12:15 UTC
Zentiu wrote:

You are a pillock. The fact that you can't say your character is your own is the problem. It's not just about the scams but about the entire concept of forcing players to have a meta'd level of trust instead of established trust. The fact that you cannot just claim another character, but relationship to an NPC entity, Corp, or alliance is the problem. This ruins RP for the people who actually do that as they can no longer claim to be part of whatever entity they RP as (Mordus Angels being an example of this). Another example is psychological warfare against enemies, you can no longer claim to be part of XXX alliance just to cause distrust of XXX alliance. If I blow up some mining frigate and I say "XXX Sends his regards" XXX may be less trusted and more hated by that person and their friends.

1. you can say your character is your own.
2. claiming to be someone you're not is "meta-ed trust". claiming to be yourself is just trust. and also not against TOS.
3. nothing says you can't claim association in RP. you just can't do it in the service of a scam.
4. oh. you can't grief someone and pin the blame on someone else. really? that's what you're crying about? nothing about that seems even the slightest bit ironic to you?
5. who's the pillock now?

RubyPorto wrote:
Old Space Guy wrote:

You're reading a modifier into the rule that, by the nature of EVE, isn't there.

actually. the modifier to that rule is on page one, post one.

GM Grimmi wrote:
As cases are investigated GMs look at the information that is available, one of the important considerations being the intent behind a player’s actions. Benevolent roleplaying of NPC entities may not be considered to warrant action in regards to impersonation while malicious activity employing such trickery will not be tolerated.

if you impersonate yourself (read further clarifications that this can never be the case) and you con a whole bunch of people to go mining with you in shiny ships... and you actually mine... who in their right mind is going to report you? and exactly what would you expect a GM to do with that report?

NO ONE and NOTHING in that order. that's what.

intent. that's the modifier. if the intent is malicious (you know, like scamming someone) then we're looking at a violation. if the intent is benevolent, i fail to see the problem (officer, i'd like to turn myself in for helping that old lady cross the street). if the intent is benevolent, but the outcome was detrimental to the other party (officer, i was helping that old lady cross the road, but it so happens i'm blind and she got run over), then that particular GM will have a harder time trying to figure out if blind men should help old ladies.

all this confusion and raging leads me to two possible conclusions.

A. people just don't know how to read and understand very clear, very simple concepts.
B. scammers are carebears.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#1615 - 2013-09-20 03:17:45 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Old Space Guy wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Old Space Guy wrote:

Find a general definition of a Scam for EVE that isn't equivalent to "a deal that one party regrets." If you can't, do understand that any and all business dealing are against the rules.

Quote:
GM Grimmi wrote:
As cases are investigated GMs look at the information that is available, one of the important considerations being the intent behind a player’s actions. Benevolent roleplaying of NPC entities may not be considered to warrant action in regards to impersonation while malicious activity employing such trickery will not be tolerated.

if you impersonate yourself (read further clarifications that this can never be the case) and you con a whole bunch of people to go mining with you in shiny ships... and you actually mine... who in their right mind is going to report you? and exactly what would you expect a GM to do with that report?

Nothing in your quoted section mentions "scamming."

And what's the difference between "benevolent" impersonation and "malicious" impersonation?

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Old Space Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1616 - 2013-09-20 03:27:03 UTC
Nicole Aideron wrote:
CCP stop coddling the people who can't adapt to their surroundings. Reverse the TOS changes back to where they were. Allow those that wish to scam do what they do best.

sorry. i just had to giggle at this one. stop coddling people who can't adapt? who exactly is it that isn't adapting here? you're the one asking for a rollback on a nerf like its your god given right for CCP to make it EASIER for you to SCAM people.

take your own advice and ADAPT.
Old Space Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1617 - 2013-09-20 03:45:35 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Old Space Guy wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:

Find a general definition of a Scam for EVE that isn't equivalent to "a deal that one party regrets." If you can't, do understand that any and all business dealing are against the rules.

now you are reading something that isn't there.

sure. a deal that goes sour can be considered (by the victim) as a scam. but no one has outlawed scams, so if you want to pull that "moving to 0.0" trope, no one's stopping you (but really, you should get some better material).

you are implying that all scams, and really, all business, requires impersonation (remember? that's what this thread is about. not the legality of scamming). that is very clearly untrue. i run a perfectly good business in real life without ever having had to impersonate myself even once!

RubyPorto wrote:
Nothing in your quoted section mentions "scamming."

And what's the difference between "benevolent" impersonation and "malicious" impersonation?

no, but a rudimentary command of the english language tells me that a "scam" is a malicious attempt to cheat another person. if i scam someone, i'm performing a malicious act against that person - which is allowed.

if in the service of that scam, i have to resort to impersonating someone or some organisation that i am not, then my impersonation is likewise, malicious.

if instead, i claim to be an alt of RubyPorto, and give out billions of isk in jita... FOR REAL, it can be argued that my impersonation was benevolent. however, because i impersonated you, i'm STILL liable to be banned, because by being a generally all round nice guy to a couple of newbies, i've ruined your hard earned reputation for being an all-star douche. for that, i could very well be banned.

remember. this thread is about IMPERSONATION, not SCAMMING. the sections i quoted do not reference scams specifically because its NOT about scams. it's about impersonation (third time now).

impersonation is wrong. it's bad. don't do it.

scamming is ethically bankrupt. it's bad. but do it if you must. just don't pretend to be someone else when you do.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#1618 - 2013-09-20 04:00:11 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Old Space Guy wrote:
now you are reading something that isn't there.

Nope. The rule is "it's only impersonation if there's a scam involved." That's what the GMs have been saying, and that's what you said in the post I quoted.

So saying "I'm Chribba" then doing a deal that's "not a scam" is legal, while saying "I'm Chribba" then doing a deal that "is a scam" is not legal.

The only difference between the two situations is that one involves a scam and one does not. Therefor, the rule hinges on a definition of a scam that doesn't boil down to "one party regrets the deal."

Define "malice" in the context of a game. Was whoever taught you chess being malicious when he(or she) took your queen during your first game of chess?

Oh, and this new "clarification" also puts the GM team into the position of semi-publicly confirming who is and is not an alt of someone.

Quote:
if instead, i claim to be an alt of RubyPorto, and give out billions of isk in jita... FOR REAL, it can be argued that my impersonation was benevolent. however, because i impersonated you, i'm STILL liable to be banned, because by being a generally all round nice guy to a couple of newbies, i've ruined your hard earned reputation for being an all-star douche. for that, i could very well be banned.

Except that the rule is that only "malicious" impersonation is against the rules. (So are personal attacks, but I guess you only like some rules, huh-uh?)

Or is it that all impersonation is against the rules and CCP is handing out lists of alts anytime anyone ever claims to be someone who they may be?

Quote:
scamming is ethically bankrupt.

I get it, you're one of the people who can't separate fantasy from reality.

Quote:
just don't pretend to be someone else when you do.

Kind of hard to do in a game that insists that we pick pseudonyms...

Old Space Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1619 - 2013-09-20 04:34:27 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Nope. The rule is "it's only impersonation if there's a scam involved." That's what the GMs have been saying, and that's what you said in the post I quoted.

So saying "I'm Chribba" then doing a deal that's "not a scam" is legal, while saying "I'm Chribba" then doing a deal that "is a scam" is not legal.

nah uh. numerous clarifications already made above. pretending to be another player = violation.

as in my illustration, which you seem to have taken offense to, even if i pretend to be another player to give away prancing unicorns that vomit rainbows for no reason other than to bask unicorn vomit, that would be a violation.

so in your example, pretending to be chribba and being a stand up guy the whole time is NOT legal. though it's likely that such a benevolent impersonation may not be discovered, or reported.

RubyPorto wrote:
The only difference between the two situations is that one involves a scam and one does not. Therefor, the rule hinges on a definition of a scam that doesn't boil down to "one party regrets the deal."

you keep coming back to this idea that all deals require impersonation, which is a classic straw man fallacy. it is possible to do business, even shady business, without impersonation.

the TOS, old or new, doesn't outlaw deals nor scams. it only prohibits impersonation.

also, you cannot impersonate yourself (here i'm ignoring Karidor's terrible attempts at explaning the concept in favour of Grimmi's much clearer clarification).

this is as clear as i can be. further attempts to use these same fallacies as the basis of an argument will be taken as a indication of mental retardation.

RubyPorto wrote:
Define "malice" in the context of a game. Was whoever taught you chess being malicious when he(or she) took your queen during your first game of chess?
Except that the rule is that only "malicious" impersonation is against the rules. (So are personal attacks, but I guess you only like some rules, huh-uh?)

that would depend. when you were taught, did he or she explain what you did wrong that led to the capture of the queen? did he or she continue your education, giving you fair and ample opportunities to grow and eventually compete on even footing?

or did he or she snicker and make inane comments about delicious tears and never show up again?

evaluating intent is a long-game.

with regard to your other complaint, i didn't go to jita, pretend to be you, nor give out isk, so it follows that anything i said after was hypothetical.

and it was necessary to use you as an example. you weren't getting the point, even 81 pages after the fact. unfortunately, my attempt to make it relatable obviously wasn't enough to overcome whatever logic block you've got going on.

RubyPorto wrote:
Oh, and this new "clarification" also puts the GM team into the position of semi-publicly confirming who is and is not an alt of someone.
Or is it that all impersonation is against the rules and CCP is handing out lists of alts anytime anyone ever claims to be someone who they may be?

not if you don't violate TOS by impersonating anyone.

RubyPorto wrote:
Kind of hard to do in a game that insists that we pick pseudonyms...

now you're intentionally being thick.

Zentiu
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1620 - 2013-09-20 04:42:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Zentiu
Old Space Guy wrote:
Zentiu wrote:

1. you can say your character is your own.
2. claiming to be someone you're not is "meta-ed trust". claiming to be yourself is just trust. and also not against TOS.
3. nothing says you can't claim association in RP. you just can't do it in the service of a scam.
4. oh. you can't grief someone and pin the blame on someone else. really? that's what you're crying about? nothing about that seems even the slightest bit ironic to you?
5. who's the pillock now?

SInce we're doing listed respones I will do so.

1. With this TOS you cannot claim to be an alt or a friend of another character.
2. Claiming to be someone you are not is not meta trust. Meta trust is an out of game mechanic forcing you to do something. The game does not force you to tell everyone who your alts are. IF It did that would be a meta mechanic. How did you not understand this?
3. Again you misread what has been stated for 70+ pages of this post.
4. How is it ironic that I enjoy ruining someones day and pinning the blame on someone else? Oh I know, the E-Bushido is going to come out in your response when you tell me that I'm spineless or something of the such.
5. You are still a pillock you berk.

As an aside for 1,2 and 3.

You may not impersonate or falsely present yourself to be a representative of another player, group of players, character or NPC entity.

If I roleplay being a part of Gurista, I'm obviously not part of gurista, that in itself is " falsely present yourself to be a representative of another player, group of players, character or NPC entity."

Impersonation has been prohibited for a long time.

The EULA clearly states that:

“No player may use the character name of another player to impersonate or falsely represent his or her identity”

A similar clause has been in the EVE Online Naming Policy for a good while:

“c. No player may use the character name of another player to falsely represent his or her identity. Player created corporation and alliance names also fall under this policy, as do names of any other in-game entities.”

The TOS update is therefore nothing new, merely a clarification of what has been policy for ages.

Recruitment scams using your own corp/alliance are fine, claiming to be working on behalf of players/groups of players you're not affiliated with is considered impersonation and a violation of our policies.

I really hope you're an alt because if you've only been playing for 3 months I seriously doubt that you actually know what you're talking about what so ever and think that calling scammers carebears is some great insult.