These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

WARNING: FAILED RANSOM DEAL

First post
Author
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#41 - 2013-09-19 09:36:34 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
unidenify wrote:
I am sure it is easier to make list of all pirate who honor ransom.

I've got that list somewhere...
Oh here it is:
Quote:

But yeah, never pay ransoms. Just give them the finger and burn away. If you die, you die. If you are lucky (or not in a bubble), you get to keep your pod.

I have to object there....I know quite a few entities who will always honor a payed ransom. Especially the well known gate camp groups tend to earn a lot of money with that.
I personally know of "the united", quite a few guys in shadow Cartel, Heretics and TunDraGon of course!
I´d like to link this thread.
Individuals as well es corp/alliances that honor ransom are listed here.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#42 - 2013-09-19 10:31:13 UTC
Last I heard, Tusker pirates honoured ransoms as well.

Also, the hell is wrong with people in this thread. I mean - yeah sure this guy made a mistake of paying the wrong types, paid for it but he accepted it as a mistake. And is now just trying to warn others that would've done the same thing in his place.

And sometimes, ransom can be a way out if the pirate honours it - you loose less than what your ship is worth and get away, he doesn't have to count on the loot drop to get money out of it.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Antony E Stark
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#43 - 2013-09-19 11:55:28 UTC
Shederov Blood wrote:
Those pirates are poo poo heads! This will be dealt with.

Larkonis, is that you?
I see you had a sex change and got some boobs. Good job!
Tah'ris Khlador
Space Ghosts.
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#44 - 2013-09-19 13:54:36 UTC
Those individuals tried to ransom me once. But then the rest of the fleet arrived.

Member of the Pink Pony Killboard Padding Alliance

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#45 - 2013-09-19 14:23:10 UTC
Lt Manshield wrote:
Axirillon Grinder wrote:
as said difference of opinion and yes it's a harsh game, I repeat, just attempting to raise awareness for the random rookie trolling the forums and coming across this so he'll be forewarned and maybe not make the same mistake I made, if it can happen it will happen and putting my faith in my fellow man was not an understatement, experienced enough rip-offs, scams, screw overs on the internet, can live with that, alas real life ain't any better, of course there are exceptions, some people do deserve the trust others put in them, just wish there were more of those, that's all.

- Axi

Delicious tears.
Please get scammed in any of the myriad other ways (maybe by me) and then start another thread about it. Player created content, you see :V

Also never not sign your posts
- username which is visible to the left of my post.

Teinyhr wrote:
Well, this thread shows that the community has changed, and I'm not sure it's for the better. At least some 3-4 years ago ransoms were honoured and this kind of thread would of gotten much more support from actual pirates chiming in that not honouring ransoms hurts their playstyle. But I suppose "true pirates" are a dying breed as people seem to be only interested in getting killmails at any cost.

Now it's mostly "hurpadurp honour in eve LOL?" Really don't like this change in attitude.

Unironically HTFU.

I didnt see any tears...

LMFAO @ any reply being called "tears". No raging here, no complaining.... OP just said "Hey, be aware".

Is that tears? Delicious ones? Your standards have lowered in your vain attempt to fit into the C&P status quo....

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#46 - 2013-09-19 14:26:39 UTC
Eugene Kerner wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
unidenify wrote:

Oh here it is:
Quote:

But yeah, never pay ransoms. Just give them the finger and burn away. If you die, you die. If you are lucky (or not in a bubble), you get to keep your pod.

I have to object there....I know quite a few entities who will always honor a payed ransom. Especially the well known gate camp groups tend to earn a lot of money with that.
I personally know of "the united", quite a few guys in shadow Cartel, Heretics and TunDraGon of course!
Indeed. I'd bet on statistics though that tell me they probably won't. And that losing my ship and isk on top is simply adding to their enjoyment of the whole situation.
If I burn away telling them where to shove it, I will probably die, but I can die with dignity. And I can usually take one with me. Them asking me for a ransom simply gives me more opportunity to figure out which one will drop.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-09-19 14:36:33 UTC
The first thing you should do when you get ransomed is make peace with the fact that your ship is going to explode. Dont stop fighting. If you stop fighting, they will have a much easier time locking your pod. When you realize that your going to pop, align to the celestial nearest your current direction, and start spamming "S". 9 times out of 10, you will instawarp when popped and they wont get your pod. I keep a tab on my overview called "pod saver" that just lists the sun and planets so I can get to it fast. You dont wanna warp to a station or gate because of your aggression timer, so a planet or the sun is your best bet. If they are good, they will see where you went, so be ready to bounce out as soon as you land.

If they DO get your pod scrammed... 9 times out of 10 you will die. They will either kill you immediately, or try to ransom. If they ransom you, open up your character sheet, and start unplugging implants. Your going to lose them anyhow, and why give them the satisfaction of a lengthy pod KM. As a finishing touch, I like to let them know I did that afterward.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Maxpie
MUSE LLP
#48 - 2013-09-19 14:39:10 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
Lt Manshield wrote:
Axirillon Grinder wrote:
as said difference of opinion and yes it's a harsh game, I repeat, just attempting to raise awareness for the random rookie trolling the forums and coming across this so he'll be forewarned and maybe not make the same mistake I made, if it can happen it will happen and putting my faith in my fellow man was not an understatement, experienced enough rip-offs, scams, screw overs on the internet, can live with that, alas real life ain't any better, of course there are exceptions, some people do deserve the trust others put in them, just wish there were more of those, that's all.

- Axi

Delicious tears.
Please get scammed in any of the myriad other ways (maybe by me) and then start another thread about it. Player created content, you see :V

Also never not sign your posts
- username which is visible to the left of my post.

Teinyhr wrote:
Well, this thread shows that the community has changed, and I'm not sure it's for the better. At least some 3-4 years ago ransoms were honoured and this kind of thread would of gotten much more support from actual pirates chiming in that not honouring ransoms hurts their playstyle. But I suppose "true pirates" are a dying breed as people seem to be only interested in getting killmails at any cost.

Now it's mostly "hurpadurp honour in eve LOL?" Really don't like this change in attitude.

Unironically HTFU.

I didnt see any tears...

LMFAO @ any reply being called "tears". No raging here, no complaining.... OP just said "Hey, be aware".

Is that tears? Delicious ones? Your standards have lowered in your vain attempt to fit into the C&P status quo....

Rofl, I was thinking the exact same thing. Could this guy be any more cliche? It's like one of those dolls where you pull the string and it says one of like 5 things - "tears" "htfu" "herp derp" "cold harsh" - no matter the context of the conversation.

No good deed goes unpunished

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#49 - 2013-09-19 14:46:39 UTC
Maxpie wrote:

Rofl, I was thinking the exact same thing. Could this guy be any more cliche? It's like one of those dolls where you pull the string and it says one of like 5 things - "tears" "htfu" "herp derp" "cold harsh" - no matter the context of the conversation.

LMAO exactly!

Baron' Soontir Fel
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#50 - 2013-09-19 15:16:16 UTC
Yea, from an economic standpoint, ransoming always makes sense to pirates. Much easier to get straight cash instead of modules and unlucky loot fairies. It's just that idiots think they can get the killmail and the ransom and there will be no consequences for their actions.

*Surprise* There is!

Hardly anyone pays ransoms anymore because people are untrustworthy. It's sad because ransoms benefit both parties involved.
Doc Severide
Doomheim
#51 - 2013-09-19 17:27:34 UTC
Never pay Ransom...

Never fly with Implants...

Never Fly what you can't afford to lose. Never Marry someone you can't afford to get rid of...

Everyone is always repeating the mantra "Don't Trust Anyone" ad nauseum... If I can't trust the guys I play with, why bother playing with them at all? Fly Solo...

Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2013-09-20 00:28:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Droidster
LOL you got out of your ship. Did you grease up your butthole too. Big smile

Doh.
Daemon Ceed
Ice Fire Warriors
#53 - 2013-09-20 05:32:17 UTC
Just to iterate to non-believers: there are some pirates out there like TunDraGon who do honor ransoms when we offer or are asked for one. We are the oldest pirate corp in Eve and maintain a strict policy on ransoming. If you're caught by us, take the ransom offer, for either your ship or your pod.
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#54 - 2013-09-20 06:41:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Eugene Kerner
Lucas Kell wrote:
Eugene Kerner wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
unidenify wrote:

Indeed. I'd bet on statistics though that tell me they probably won't. And that losing my ship and isk on top is simply adding to their enjoyment of the whole situation.
If I burn away telling them where to shove it, I will probably die, but I can die with dignity. And I can usually take one with me. Them asking me for a ransom simply gives me more opportunity to figure out which one will drop.

We even refund victims if they paid ransom and some trigger happy member of tdg kills them in spite of paying. Strict rules!

Baron' Soontir Fel wrote:
Yea, from an economic standpoint, ransoming always makes sense to pirates. Much easier to get straight cash instead of modules and unlucky loot fairies. It's just that idiots think they can get the killmail and the ransom and there will be no consequences for their actions.

*Surprise* There is!

Hardly anyone pays ransoms anymore because people are untrustworthy. It's sad because ransoms benefit both parties involved.

There are consequences to such behavior indeed!
Nevertheless...we ransom a lot of people and you will not find one who will accuse TDG not to honor ransom. Many pilots even decide to leave their ship in our custody as they do not want to recieve a shiny kill mail. We even procure freighters, T3 cruisers and battleships like that.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

BoSau Hotim
Uitraan Diversified Holdings Incorporated
#55 - 2013-09-20 07:00:13 UTC
Axirillon Grinder wrote:
Would love to see people actually read. It is not about these particular players and more about AWARENESS for new players like myself that they fully realize how harsh this game can be, the situation named is mainly an EXAMPLE of what happens when you are naïve about your fellow players in this game and hence I am still convinced that the topic is in the right spot although I might just troll over to that forum to spam the crap out of it about how dishonest these guys are, but nope, it is part of the game, I gambled, I lost, I live on, the fact remains I intend this topic for NEW PLAYERS, so you forum warriors please get off my back that the topic is in the wrong place, it is not intended for you, your opinion is noted and I reject it by my arguments named above. If it bugs you that bad then get a forum mod to move this topic.

- Axi

I would just let it drop if I were you... the location of this. The vets know what they are talking about and it doesn't matter what argument you make for it. The more you give your reasons the more they will answer. Just the nature of these forums that's all.

I'm not a carebear... I'm a SPACE BARBIE!  Now... where's Ken?

BoSau Hotim
Uitraan Diversified Holdings Incorporated
#56 - 2013-09-20 07:06:32 UTC  |  Edited by: BoSau Hotim
Teinyhr wrote:
Well, this thread shows that the community has changed, and I'm not sure it's for the better. At least some 3-4 years ago ransoms were (usually, obviously not always) honoured and this kind of thread would of gotten much more support from actual pirates chiming in that not honouring ransoms hurts their playstyle. But I suppose "true pirates" are a dying breed as people seem to be only interested in getting killmails at any cost.

I think it's more hurpadurp "true pirates".

I think true pirates are the ones who don't honour a ransom. I have to think of a different name for the ones that honour a ransom... Kinda-sorta pirates... Wannabe pirate... hurpadurp pirate...

I'm not a carebear... I'm a SPACE BARBIE!  Now... where's Ken?

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#57 - 2013-09-20 07:24:17 UTC
BoSau Hotim wrote:
Teinyhr wrote:
Well, this thread shows that the community has changed, and I'm not sure it's for the better. At least some 3-4 years ago ransoms were (usually, obviously not always) honoured and this kind of thread would of gotten much more support from actual pirates chiming in that not honouring ransoms hurts their playstyle. But I suppose "true pirates" are a dying breed as people seem to be only interested in getting killmails at any cost.

I think true pirates are the ones who don't honour a ransom. I have to think of a different name for the ones that honour a ransom... Kinda-sorta pirates... Wannabe pirate... hurpadurp pirate...

says security status 4.0

Mra Rednu
Oyonata Gate Defence Force.
#58 - 2013-09-20 10:11:02 UTC
BoSau Hotim wrote:
Teinyhr wrote:

You should look up the meaning of pirate then.
Sylphy
TSOE Po1ice
TSOE Consortium
#59 - 2013-09-20 11:16:07 UTC
Pirates honoring ransoms? Like that's ever going to happen. That's what is the basis of their "jobs", they steal from the rich and give to themselves. If you believe and pay that means so much bigger reward for the same thing.

The character does not represent the views/opinions of its Corporation or Alliance.

Axirillon Grinder
Brosefz
#60 - 2013-09-20 11:52:18 UTC
IMHO, this has gone a little off topic, this went towards the discussion if ransoms are part of piracy, to discuss that you'd have to weigh the benefits of ransoming over destroying, by doing both you will per definition prevent people in believing in ransoms, which in turn is a decent alternative due to the fact of random drops may not be as much worth as the ship itself, the simple point is that from my experience I will and have been warning people never ever to pay ransoms, nor comply to requests for ransoms because they will not be honored,

True piracy is a profession and should be regarded as that, the 2 ways gaining ISK like that would be either ransoming or destroying and looting, the first should be a far more reliable way to make income however is based on trust, my trust in ransoming has taken a severe hit and I will rather opt for destruction or even self destruct my ship next time I get in such a situation. That is the main point of this thread, raise awareness that there is a risk that if you are opted for ransom it will not be honored, I myself always stick with agreements I make and I know there are others out there that do so aswell, but in the end it boils down to the simple fact that looting wrecks is less stable and lucrative than succesfull ransoming, people like I encountered will have a huge negative impact on people that make ransoms their main way of income.

- Axi