These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Must have skills for Minmatar ninja salavging?

Author
Xerces TheMerciless
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-09-17 20:10:45 UTC
I figure Ninja Salvaging is a good way to make isk starting out, it's like feeding on the scraps from the big fish.

So, what skills are important for Ninja Looters?
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#2 - 2013-09-17 20:20:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
The best skill you can have is a sunny disposition and a friendly demeanor.

That way you can talk your way into letting mission runners give you access to their wrecks. You'll do way better with that than sitting around scanning out a mission and then having the guy get pissed off and blow up all his wrecks.

Though it's a whole different ballgame if you are doing it for the tears. But I don't think that's what you're after.

Mr Epeen Cool
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-09-17 20:22:21 UTC
Salvaging 1 might help

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

voetius
Grundrisse
#4 - 2013-09-17 20:25:13 UTC

If you are just doing it for the ISK then social skills as Mr Epeen says. You can easily make 40+ mill per hour with almost zero effort apart from chatting people up in local.

unidenify
Deaf Armada
#5 - 2013-09-17 21:27:08 UTC
voetius wrote:

If you are just doing it for the ISK then social skills as Mr Epeen says. You can easily make 40+ mill per hour with almost zero effort apart from chatting people up in local.

agree, just try to find system that have several L3 or L4 agents

for example, Ichoriya Solar System in Black Rise Region have 2 of Caldari Navy L4 Security Agent in same station. So, local always have least 30-40 pilots online make it easier for you to find someone who will let you salvage wrecks
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#6 - 2013-09-17 21:48:47 UTC
I started out with ninja salvaging - great fun. You need skills (or an alt) to probe down the mission runner. You only need Salvaging 4. You definitely want good speed and agility so get Navigation, Acceleration Control and Evasive Maneuvering to 4 or 5 ASAP (these will be useful for every other ship you ever fly).

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2013-09-18 02:19:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Sir Substance
Mr Epeen wrote:

You'll do way better with that than sitting around scanning out a mission and then having the guy get pissed off and blow up all his wrecks.

If that is happening, you're bad and should feel bad. Salvage a room behind, never be in the same room as the persons mission running boat. If you are, the modern NPC AI will change targets and aggro you.

Use your DScan, activate and cancel gates and watch what distance they were going to throw you, modify your DScan for 1000km beyond that, that'll let you know if they are in the next room or not.

I have never seen a mission runner use the DScan intelligently to counter this technique.

Use a ship with at least 25m3 of drone bay, allocate salvage drones manually to the wrecks, one per wreck. It's the fastest way to clear a room.

The beatings will continue until posting improves. -Magnus Cortex

Official Eve Online changelist: Togglable PvP. - Jordanna Bauer

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#8 - 2013-09-18 03:21:36 UTC
Sir Substance wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

You'll do way better with that than sitting around scanning out a mission and then having the guy get pissed off and blow up all his wrecks.

If that is happening, you're bad and should feel bad. Salvage a room behind, never be in the same room as the persons mission running boat. If you are, the modern NPC AI will change targets and aggro you.

Use your DScan, activate and cancel gates and watch what distance they were going to throw you, modify your DScan for 1000km beyond that, that'll let you know if they are in the next room or not.

I have never seen a mission runner use the DScan intelligently to counter this technique.

Use a ship with at least 25m3 of drone bay, allocate salvage drones manually to the wrecks, one per wreck. It's the fastest way to clear a room.

I know that instead of spending all day casing out stores and then sneaking in to rob one, I'd rather have six store owners that invite me in to help myself to whatever I want when they see me in local.

But you keep doing it your way, as inefficient as it is. And certainly much more skill intensive.

As alien as the concept is to many EVE players, being nice can get you further than being not nice in many instances.

Mr Epeen Cool
lollerwaffle
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-09-18 03:24:49 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Sir Substance wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

I know that instead of spending all day casing out stores and then sneaking in to rob one, I'd rather have six store owners that invite me in to help myself to whatever I want when they see me in local.

But you keep doing it your way, as inefficient as it is. And certainly much more skill intensive.

As alien as the concept is to many EVE players, being nice can get you further than being not nice in many instances.

Mr Epeen Cool

While that's true, as a side benefit to a new pilot, he learns scanning and probing skills, as well as a general idea of understanding and manipulating game mechanics ion his favour.

Ah well, either approach works TBH.
Xerces TheMerciless
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-09-18 16:38:26 UTC
Will eve-wiki be able to teach me all that Mr. Epeen mentioned?

I recently watch a video on D-scans, I just need to learn to cancel jumps and see how far it was going to throw me. I'll have to learn about those drones at some point as well... I'm very green

Both methods seem good, and it's good to have both. I don't want to depend on others generosity, and like was stated it's a good way to learn some skill. :) I'll end up using both I'm sure.

Thank You!
permion
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-09-18 20:37:09 UTC  |  Edited by: permion
Currently what I'm doing, mostly to see how I like scanning down people. I think I'm getting pretty good with 3 minutes in some cases.

Astrometrics 2 for combat probe scanner. But I haven't bothered before I got it to 4.
Pinpointing and rangefinding to 3 really helps a lot. Getting these two over halved the required time.

A ship that can fit a 200 something CPU fitting for combat scanner.

Right now I'm in a little vexor, that has 3 salavagers, 5 drones, Mircro-warp drive, expo gear for sights, and some tank so I can go right up to the current room(possibly get a nice drop if I'm willing to just jump between moons/safe spots for 15 mins, or worst case just get some of the bounty).

It's mostly feast or famine. Sometimes I've reached 9 mil in 20 minutes, other times I've gone an hour for a mere few million. Considering I only have 4 million skill points I'm happy with the results.

Not really worth doing for the tears though, people have learned better than to feed trolls for the most part. the most negative thing I've gotten was a 2 Million bounty(no words or anything), got another to just leave the mission(no words again), then I made someones day today when it happened to them for the first time(genuinely amused).

I'll have to figure out how to manually use salavage drones, I thought they could only work automatically. EDIT: and figured it out right away lol, that went really fast.

Really the most I've gotten out of it is to prioritze conv-ops tier-2, over tackling tier-2.
Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-09-19 01:47:06 UTC
Yeah, I wouldn't be advocating ninja salvaging for tears.

Most of the tears extracted in days of yore were based around tricking the mission running into aggroing you, ship swapping and murdering them.

A sequence of undocumented orca nerfs dropped one after the other a few years ago in a dedicated campaign against the ninja community made that more trouble then it's worth. If you want those kinds of tears these days, consider reverse awoxing or wardec trolling.

I haven't tried asking people for permission to salvage their wreck fields, mostly because in my experience career high sec mission runners are annoying to talk to.

Ninja salvaging works best as an interim ISK generation system for new players who need an ad-hoc ISK generation mechanism in the same ballpark isk per hour as missions, but don't have the SP or ships to run level 4's. It's a great way to generate ISK in your first 2-3 months of play.

Do it because you need money for a new rifter, do it because you are bored, but don't do it as a long term career.

The beatings will continue until posting improves. -Magnus Cortex

Official Eve Online changelist: Togglable PvP. - Jordanna Bauer