These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

destroyers - gankers and high sec

First post First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#161 - 2013-09-16 16:11:19 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Let's take a hypothetical game, we'll call it "EBE Online". This game has consistently for ten years running been generally unremarkable in every classic metric for measuring mainstream videogames. However, EBE Online has one defining characteristic that distinguishes it from all other mainstream games, we'll call this hypothetical characteristic " emerbent gameplay". Despite being consistently mediocre or worse in all the usual characteristics of videogames, EBE Online manages to consistently survive and generally grow year after year for a decade while almost every other mainstream game dies in flames around it.

Who in their right mind would look at this situation and suggest that dumbing down emerbent gameplay is the key to unlocking greater success for EBE Online?

Underlined the part of the post that suggests the answer you seek. ie "Imbercils" Twisted

Slightly more seriously, some people hold the "cup half empty" worldview and think that if it exists, it must be crappy and can be made better. People like that don't understand that something exist the way they do for a reason and that you screw with it's balance at your own peril.

Those same people tend to be really short sighted, in that they don't understand that the thing they think they hate ("emergent gameplay" and thus uncertainty, non-consensual pvp everywhere including high sec, EVE's death penalties and so on) are at the same time the things that keep people -including them- paying for and playing the game.

If they just wanted to be left alone, why not play on sisi? If they don't like universe wide non-consensual pvp, why not play games like Star Trek Online or dozens of other that prevent ANY such thing in the 1st place?

It's because they like the danger, they just don't understand they like it. They'd hate an eve without the danger, yet they keep ignorantly calling for it because they can't be honest enough inside themselves to admit it.

E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#162 - 2013-09-16 16:16:26 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Have you tried hunting down and killing them?

Good morning, Tippia. I see that you've brought your sense of humor today.

Ahhhh so thats whats shes going for...my bad.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#163 - 2013-09-16 16:27:14 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
In EvE, blowing up someones 100 million hulk, or 6 billion jump freighter incurs the equivalent of a parking fine, since the sec loss is so small and so easily fixed, and the cost is 98% less (it cost 5000% more isk to gank in 2009) then it was when these ships came out.
So what? What's the problem? Why should it cost more?

Quote:
They have to balance ganking against subscription loss.
What losses are those? And no, people coming to realise that they're not the target audience for a game is not a subscription loss, much like how the millions of people playing farmville instead of GenericShooter 2013 are not lost customers.

E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Ahhhh so thats whats shes going for.
No.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#164 - 2013-09-16 16:38:51 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Domanique Altares wrote:
Tippia wrote:

No, that's what I was going for. I think Tippia and I would both prefer it if miners got off their asses and hunted people down instead of creating these threads ad nauseum.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#165 - 2013-09-16 16:53:51 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Domanique Altares wrote:
Tippia wrote:

No, that's what I was going for. I think Tippia and I would both prefer it if miners got off their asses and hunted people down instead of creating these threads ad nauseum.

It *would* make for a pleasant change. Blink

Every now and again, I see a thread where one of the rock killers changes coat and becomes a hunter of men. It's rare, but highly celebrated when it happens. Cool
Gaylord Fappington
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#166 - 2013-09-16 17:02:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Gaylord Fappington
So as I jump in on page 9, I admit I am a little late to the party. It seems to be a party some of my handiwork created as well. To answer a couple of questions about how this all came to be:

You've seen my fit. I also use a fit with ions and a point sometimes.
I don't use implants.
I always overheat.

The thing no one is considering when trying to calculate my DPS is that I have something far more powerful than implants in my head; my love for The Code. Every barge I fire on has the power of not just my guns, but the soul of the whole New Order exiting the barrels in a fiery report and hurtling in their direction. That is never going to show up on a killmail, but I feel it with every salvo.

Piekura knows me pretty well. Sometimes when the ice belt spawns they put in a jamming ship. Most of my work is done alone, and when that jamming ship is there and the pilot is on the ball, I am 100% shut down in my ability to kill anything except my own ship. I am not complaining, this is how it should be . . . I should be able to have a reasonable crack at the miners and they should have a decent shot at stopping me if they chose to do so. I do and they do.

Game balanced. Was a fun weekend Piekura. I love this game.
Lugalbandak
Lego3
#167 - 2013-09-16 17:07:18 UTC
SpoonRECKLESS wrote:
why not afk mine and watch local. I mean avoid being ganked is easy.

you got a mobile local app or so? cause when im afk i really dont see local ever

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

Dave stark
#168 - 2013-09-16 17:15:14 UTC
Lugalbandak wrote:
SpoonRECKLESS wrote:
why not afk mine and watch local. I mean avoid being ganked is easy.

you got a mobile local app or so? cause when im afk i really dont see local ever

even if he did, what difference would it make. if he's afk he can't do anything about it even if local shows a spike of 2000 hostiles.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#169 - 2013-09-16 17:24:50 UTC
posting in thread where kids brag about their "coolness"

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Druthlen
The Carlisle Group
#170 - 2013-09-16 17:48:18 UTC
Gaylord Fappington wrote:
So as I jump in on page 9, I admit I am a little late to the party. It seems to be a party some of my handiwork created as well. To answer a couple of questions about how this all came to be:

You've seen my fit. I also use a fit with ions and a point sometimes.
I don't use implants.
I always overheat.

The thing no one is considering when trying to calculate my DPS is that I have something far more powerful than implants in my head; my love for The Code. Every barge I fire on has the power of not just my guns, but the soul of the whole New Order exiting the barrels in a fiery report and hurtling in their direction. That is never going to show up on a killmail, but I feel it with every salvo.

Piekura knows me pretty well. Sometimes when the ice belt spawns they put in a jamming ship. Most of my work is done alone, and when that jamming ship is there and the pilot is on the ball, I am 100% shut down in my ability to kill anything except my own ship. I am not complaining, this is how it should be . . . I should be able to have a reasonable crack at the miners and they should have a decent shot at stopping me if they chose to do so. I do and they do.

Game balanced. Was a fun weekend Piekura. I love this game.

This guy is like prince charming. You know he is the bad guy and very evil but he is so damn cool. I am a carebear miner but the danger this breed brings to the game keeps me logging in. Thank you. BTW Please dont teh gankers me11eee!!
Soylent Jade
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#171 - 2013-09-16 19:48:50 UTC
If people are quitting a game based around internet space ships blowing up because their internet space ship blew up, that's probably for the best.

Making hisec better...one Catalyst at a time

minerbumping.com

terrance Compton
State War Academy
Caldari State
#172 - 2013-09-16 20:10:13 UTC
Gankers are parking boosting ships in systems which remain neutral making there pods almost impossible to catch. I would like to see these boosting ships become viable targets evening the playing field.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#173 - 2013-09-16 20:42:42 UTC
terrance Compton wrote:
Gankers are parking boosting ships in systems which remain neutral making there pods almost impossible to catch. I would like to see these boosting ships become viable targets evening the playing field.

Don't like 'em? Gank 'em!
Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#174 - 2013-09-16 21:02:52 UTC
terrance Compton wrote:

Why would you need a boosting ship when pods already take almost no time to warp. If done correctly, you will never lose a pod in highsec - boosts or not.
BoSau Hotim
Uitraan Diversified Holdings Incorporated
#175 - 2013-09-16 22:48:51 UTC
OP why did you take down your OP?

We could turn this into a 'stop the afk miner' thread. But I don't want to. well.. maybe...

The fact for me is I don't care about afk miners or cloakers. But that is the risk taken if you decide to afk mine. I don't care that the isk value is vastly different. This is Eve a harsh world and I get weary of everyone trying to make it pansyland.

Frankly I'm not for 'let's even out the whole game because sometimes something happens and it's JUST NOT FAIR!!!

I hate it. So I'm not in agreement with your OP. We take a chance when we choose to gank a miner. We take a chance getting on your kb if you have your drones set to auto aggro, and we take a chance on you hiring mercs to wipe the walls with us. Only a Killright you say. Seriously you can hit someone where it really hurts with a Killright if you take the time to know your prey and actually make a plan, have some fun, and go use that KR.

I'm not a carebear... I'm a SPACE BARBIE!  Now... where's Ken?

Crimson Gauntlet
Six Gun Sound
#176 - 2013-09-16 23:53:45 UTC
My favorite part is where the 100+ million isk ship would be all but invincible if it's pilot were actually awake.

Because it shows what the carebears really want. They want to be unkillable when they aren't even playing the game.
Number of times my posts have come in after the dev/mod locked the thread:  1
MeestaPenni
Mercantile and Stuff
#177 - 2013-09-16 23:59:27 UTC
Crimson Gauntlet wrote:
they aren't even playing the game.

For the life of me...I can't figure out why anyone gives a s**t.

I am not Prencleeve Grothsmore.

Crimson Gauntlet
Six Gun Sound
#178 - 2013-09-17 00:01:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Crimson Gauntlet
MeestaPenni wrote:
Crimson Gauntlet wrote:

Out of context quoting means you're cool.

Oh, and I give a hoot because I am tired of all the complaining from someone who didn't even bother to attempt to defend themselves, how I shouldn't have been able to kill them in the first place. Last I checked, I didn't sign up for Hello Kitty Online Adventure.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#179 - 2013-09-17 00:06:47 UTC
Crimson Gauntlet wrote:
MeestaPenni wrote:
Crimson Gauntlet wrote:

Oh, and I give a hoot because I am tired of all the complaining from someone who didn't even bother to attempt to defend themselves, how I shouldn't have been able to kill them in the first place. Last I checked, I didn't sign up for Hello Kitty Online Adventure.

Maybe you need some "clarifications" as to how bad of a person you are.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Crimson Gauntlet
Six Gun Sound
#180 - 2013-09-17 00:12:27 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Crimson Gauntlet wrote:
MeestaPenni wrote:
Crimson Gauntlet wrote:

Maybe you need some "clarifications" as to how bad of a person you are.

Go for it. :P