These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New PC biuld commingup. . Suggestions please.

Author
Julius Priscus
#1 - 2013-09-15 12:47:37 UTC
ok its rapidly coming up to that time when I need to upgrade my pc.

I presently have a

Quad corp Q9550 @ 2.83GHz with 8gb of ddr 800 ram.
none Sli capable mobo,
Zotax 560gtx video card.

1tb main HD
2tb 2ndry hd

crappy DVD burner.

and a LG W2753VC lcd screen.

games I normally play as obviously
Eve online.
Some diablo 3
some fps IE COD series, and max payne 3

was hoping that gta 5 would be released for the pc.

Now I want to go for a Sli pc ( don't like ati ) with about 16gb of ram. not sure if I should really go with a K series cpu ( ivy bridge or haswell ) as I don't think I will ever over clock, and I don't need a Optical drive at all. obviously don't need a screen. but do want a new kb and mouse.

what would you suggest for about 2grand USD.
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#2 - 2013-09-15 16:24:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Alpheias
Will you be needing a new case? New monitor? What will you be keeping from your old PC?

edit: I whipped this up quick but did not include a mouse or a keyboard as that is something that I think is up to personal preference.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-09-15 18:40:45 UTC
Obligatory: Can I have your old pc?

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#4 - 2013-09-15 19:57:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Julius Priscus wrote:
Now I want to go for a Sli pc

Long story short, JUST DON'T DO IT, stick with a single video card instead.

To slightly elaborate, the drawbacks (power consumption, heat issues, more annoying noise, less than optimal scaling in most games and horrible scaling in a few, micro-stutter for 2-card setups, configuration issues) usually outweigh the few or only benefit (higher average FPS but with no guarantee of smooth FPS on 2-card setups, and in some cases, slightly lower overall cost for the same-ish performance level).

There's only a few legitimate reasons to really have a multi-video-card setup as the clearly better option, and the main ones are:

- you can't get enough connectors for all your planned monitors on a single video card
(and even then, you have the arguably more attractive option of running the video cards independently, as opposed to using them in SLI mode)

- no even remotely comparable performance single video card exists yet that is as powerful as the combo you actually require at the time being
(even then, a 2-card setup is debatable, as a 3-card setup would be preferable, and then you have to consider that 2 GB of RAM each on 2 or 3 cards is NOT the same as 4 or 6 GB of RAM on a single card, with the single card having a big performance advantage)

- e-peen measuring contest (with cost not an issue)

I doubt you want to use 4 or more monitors (or, if you do, are those included in your budget?), so the first one goes bye-bye.
I also doubt you really NEED anything better than a single 4GB GTX 760 given your listed games (sure, it would not hurt to have more, but it's not really needed), so, not so much on the second one, I suppose.
Which leaves only #3. Do you really want a monster machine and don't really care about how much extra you spend for a long-term barely noticeable increase in visual fidelity?
Rain6638
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2013-09-15 19:59:34 UTC
single, powerful card, Intel CPU, good power supply. lots of RAM (32GB +)

[ 2013.06.21 09:52:05 ] (notify) For initiating combat your security status has been adjusted by -0.1337

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#6 - 2013-09-15 20:14:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Rain6638 wrote:
single, powerful card, Intel CPU, good power supply. lots of RAM (32GB +)

And a reasonable sized SSD ;)

Probably can get 16 GB of RAM and ramp it up later if needed, but I'd probably go with 32 from the start myself too.
Julius Priscus
#7 - 2013-09-15 20:16:54 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Will you be needing a new case? New monitor? What will you be keeping from your old PC?

edit: I whipped this up quick but did not include a mouse or a keyboard as that is something that I think is up to personal preference.

safe to say I am keeping the 27" and the two hard drives... beyond that wont be keeping much... I did give thought to getting a 29" super wide screen. how ever happy with what I have for now.

thanks for the replies so far and giving me food for thought.
Julius Priscus
#8 - 2013-09-16 04:06:36 UTC
just thought I would let ya all know..

http://techgage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Show4Pro-Wall-Mounted-PC-680x453.jpg

digging that wall mount.. minus all the liquid tubing.. well maybe less.
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#9 - 2013-09-17 11:47:01 UTC
Julius Priscus wrote:

http://techgage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Show4Pro-Wall-Mounted-PC-680x453.jpg

While that is pretty funky, I am going to insist that you keep your upgrade plans somewhat sane for the time being. :p

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Julius Priscus
#10 - 2013-09-17 11:53:53 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Julius Priscus wrote:

While that is pretty funky, I am going to insist that you keep your upgrade plans somewhat sane for the time being. :p

way ahead of ya bud.. if I had a unlimited budget I would prolly go for something similar.
Kaizoe Ocshtau
Hellish Inc
Hellish Incorporated
#11 - 2013-09-17 12:50:27 UTC
Blow out the dust, defrag the drives with something proper, not the standard windows stuff, and get better RAM.
I can't see that the CPU would be much of a problem, nor the GPU, especially not when I run on a 3GHz dual core and a 9800GTX+.
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-09-17 14:44:00 UTC
Kaizoe Ocshtau wrote:
Blow out the dust, defrag the drives with something proper, not the standard windows stuff, and get better RAM.
I can't see that the CPU would be much of a problem, nor the GPU, especially not when I run on a 3GHz dual core and a 9800GTX+.

He probably already has max ram. My Bad Axe 2 (intel D975xbx2) can only recognize max of 8 GB of ram.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Julius Priscus
#13 - 2013-09-17 19:34:12 UTC
yes I could update my system with a new and fast as heck vid card.

as of this feb my pc will be 5yo and yeah once I got my new system I will sell it on for someone else to use as a internet machine or a extreme budget gaming sys, and help recoupe some money.

this is what I have settled on..

yes i know I went over my budget but decided one BIG vc is better than two which would of added more tot he cost

reason I picked the case was so I could paint it any other colour :) and should see me right for at least 3-5 years.

mobo :
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Intel Z87 ATX Haswell LGA1150

CPU :
INTEL HASWELL CORE I7 4770K 3.50GHZ 8MB LGA1150

Ram :
CORSAIR CMD16GX3M2A1600C9 DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3-1600 CL9

GFX Card:
Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD GeForce GTX780 Overclocked 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0

CPU cooler:
Corsair Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

PSU:
FSP Aurum Pro Series AU-850Pro 850W 80Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Case:
Inwin D-Frame Open-Air Mid Tower - Red $599.95

Boot HD
Samsung 840 Series 250GB SATA3 SSD (MZ-7TD250BW)

Storage HD:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB 64MB Cache SATA3
Kyseth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2013-09-17 21:37:07 UTC
My only real thoughts here.

i7 for games is overkill on the wallet. i5 does just fine for most games considering that's what the rig will be used for.
Liquid coolers have a nice look to them and ideal function but I've heard and seen too many horror stories to recommend them.

Otherwise, you'll most likely enjoy the performance boost.
Julius Priscus
#15 - 2013-09-17 22:47:26 UTC
Kyseth wrote:
My only real thoughts here.

i7 for games is overkill on the wallet. i5 does just fine for most games considering that's what the rig will be used for.
Liquid coolers have a nice look to them and ideal function but I've heard and seen too many horror stories to recommend them.

Otherwise, you'll most likely enjoy the performance boost.

if I for any obscure reason cant get a i7 cpu... I don't mind getting an i5 k series.

as for the cpu.. I gave serious consideration to the new v8 cpu cooler..
which looks like this
http://wimages.vr-zone.net/2013/06/V8-GTS_front02.jpg
and yeah sorta matches the red colouring of the d case.

my last build the i7 cpu's had just been released and I decided to go quad core even tho I was told to go dual core for over clocking which I didn't do at all.
Freakdevil
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-09-18 00:53:55 UTC
See if you can find a used i7 2600K. They are still very applicable. Spend your cash on a better SINGLE video card like a nVidia 760/770 class card. Buy quality power supply and motherboard and CPU cooler. 16GB RAM is the sweet spot. Don't get any less. And of course, get an SSD for your OS. If you can afford a second one for your games, then go for it.

And for the love of all things natural, find, beg, borrow or whatever a copy of Windows 7.
Julius Priscus
#17 - 2013-09-18 01:37:39 UTC
Freakdevil wrote:
See if you can find a used i7 2600K. They are still very applicable. Spend your cash on a better SINGLE video card like a nVidia 760/770 class card. Buy quality power supply and motherboard and CPU cooler. 16GB RAM is the sweet spot. Don't get any less. And of course, get an SSD for your OS. If you can afford a second one for your games, then go for it.

And for the love of all things natural, find, beg, borrow or whatever a copy of Windows 7.

I picked up a copy of windows 8 for 50 usd... and tbh I don't think I can get win 7 new that cheap , but will keep it in mind.
Julius Priscus
#18 - 2013-09-18 14:38:57 UTC
well looks like I fixed all issues with my present pc...

I am giving serious consideration to saving my gtx 560 ti vid card to use as a dedicated PhysX card.

good idea?