These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

SSD - Solid State Drive, tips.

Author
Tarvos Telesto
Blood Fanatics
#1 - 2013-09-14 20:55:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarvos Telesto
Hi all.

Very soon i want buy a new PC, my old PC is 5 years old and is time for somting new , while im informed about other new hardvare components im confused about Solid State Drives, in every hardvare computer periodical- magazine i see top PC bulids which got mix like one SSD + normal HDD drivers, my question, shoud SSD work as primary drive where my Windows x is instaled, or should i use SSD as secondary drive where i instal data like games ?

Ps.Sorry for bad grammar and syntax.

EvE isn't game, its style of living.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#2 - 2013-09-14 21:24:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Micheal Dietrich
Yes, your SSD should be the drive with your OS on it.

To put it simply, when a regular hard drive checks information, it must mechanically scan the disk surface for each byte. Think of that like a Governor on a car, your speed is capped. The larger the drive, the more time it may take to gather information.

But the SSD is like RAM memory that retains its information. Everything is electrical and near instant. However SSD's currently aren't too big in terms of storage.

So what many people do, including myself, is use the SSD for the OS and a Terabyte drive for all media storage. My system can perform a full reboot in 8 seconds and loading up games is super fast because of it.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Tarvos Telesto
Blood Fanatics
#3 - 2013-09-14 21:29:10 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Yes, your SSD should be the drive with your OS on it.

To put it simply, when a regular hard drive checks information, it must mechanically scan the disk surface for each byte. Think of that like a Governor on a car, your speed is capped. The larger the drive, the more time it may take to gather information.

But the SSD is like RAM memory that retains its information. Everything is electrical and near instant. However SSD's currently aren't too big in terms of storage.

So what many people do, including myself, is use the SSD for the OS and a Terabyte drive for all media storage. My system can perform a full reboot in 8 seconds and loading up games is super fast because of it.

Thank you for this valuable and expanded answer, now all is clear.

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-09-14 22:09:20 UTC
In other words:
SSD work in nanoseconds. HDD work in milliseconds. SSD is a thousand time faster.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-09-14 22:27:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Grimpak
Caleidascope wrote:
In other words:
SSD work in nanoseconds. HDD work in milliseconds. SSD is a thousand time faster.

reliability wise, however, the mechanical drives (amazingly, since it was supposed to be the other way around) are still better.

SSD is a huge upgrade on any system, but it shouldn't be the place where you store sensitive information/documents/etc, so yes, what Dietrich said.

oh and, while it's true that access time is much better in SSD's, data transfer rates aren't that amazing, compared to HDD's. faster yes but not that faster. at least for consumer-level SSD's.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-09-15 00:35:00 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
In other words:

reliability wise, however, the mechanical drives (amazingly, since it was supposed to be the other way around) are still better.

SSD is a huge upgrade on any system, but it shouldn't be the place where you store sensitive information/documents/etc, so yes, what Dietrich said.

oh and, while it's true that access time is much better in SSD's, data transfer rates aren't that amazing, compared to HDD's. faster yes but not that faster. at least for consumer-level SSD's.

For sensitive documents, its always a good idea to have a cloud backup solution.

Once upon a time, I had my HDD fail on me. Luckily, all of my important stuff was in the cloud and I could continue working on it from other computers.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-09-15 07:49:28 UTC
Nyancat Audeles wrote:
Grimpak wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
In other words:

For sensitive documents, its always a good idea to have a cloud backup solution.

Once upon a time, I had my HDD fail on me. Luckily, all of my important stuff was in the cloud and I could continue working on it from other computers.

cloud is good if you have the connection for one. I personally use cloud (2 in fact) but I don't like to keep all the eggs in the same basket, so the main drive here is RAID1'ed.

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

NeoShocker
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#8 - 2013-09-16 18:23:06 UTC  |  Edited by: NeoShocker
Important one. DO NOT defrag SSD. :) Btw, my PC is 7 years old I think, am thinking of upgrading maybe in janurary or december. Or maybe on black friday ...
Kyseth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-09-16 18:32:01 UTC
You'll probably find yourself with limited space unless you spend an ungodly amount of money on your SSD. I tend to put my OS and games that I want to play on the SSD, then have a HDD for things like docs and music or other "storage" type files. Due to the capacity limitations, I will tend to remove games I am not playing/haven't played in a while. You can always reinstall later if you really want to, right?

SSDs shine where there are a lot of random accesses to the disk rather than sequential. So, using the SSD for the OS (which can have stuff all over the drive) or for games (again, lots of random access) is where you will see the improvement. Using the SSD as the drive where you play your mp3s from... a waste of limited space.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-09-16 18:44:45 UTC
NeoShocker wrote:
Important one. DO NOT defrag SSD. :) Btw, my PC is 7 years old I think, am thinking of upgrading maybe in janurary or december. Or maybe on black friday ...

there can be some issues if you're thinking of simply adding a SSD to the computer.

I think that the most recent chipsets have the ability of use the TRIM command which attempts to improve the lifetime of the SSD, and I've heard of some incompatibilities abound. might be wrong tho.

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-09-17 10:46:24 UTC
OS + Drivers + ! most frequently played game

everything else, including your 'My Documents' subfolders --> separate storage disk(s)
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#12 - 2013-09-17 11:45:57 UTC
Or you can be one of those crazy people (like me) that uses separate SSDs for OS and games.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Tarvos Telesto
Blood Fanatics
#13 - 2013-09-19 19:31:44 UTC
Thank you all for all quotes.