These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Upgrading Local to Eliminate All AFK Influence

First post
Author
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#261 - 2013-08-12 13:20:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Shade Alidiana wrote:
Had some more thoughts about this.

A person can choose in settings of something (like chat or mail settings) whether or not to connect automatically to local. If it's on, you show up there. If it isn't, you don't.

But! As a different way to know who ENTERS or LEAVES the system, the gates should provide that info on demand, probably as a message in a special channel (or local) for those who wants to know this (variations are: interface for the feature, info provided).

P. S. I suggested this just to balance things between WH and normal space. This way, you will still know what's happening.

So in essence give more Free Intel out from the Gate Logs? And this a good idea because?

Right now if I jump into a system that isn't a pipe\tunnel system with, oh I don't know say, 3 gates and 1 gate is camped the campers don't know which gate I just jumped in from. They have to guess. They know I'm there cos I'm visible in Local but with Gate Logs they'd know exactly which gate and at what time my session-change\cloak will drop.

Think about it for a minute, it'll sink in why that would be a bad idea.
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#262 - 2013-08-16 14:12:41 UTC
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
Shade Alidiana wrote:
But! As a different way to know who ENTERS or LEAVES the system, the gates should provide that info on demand....

So in essence give more Free Intel out from the Gate Logs? And this a good idea because?

Right now if I jump into a system that isn't a pipe\tunnel system with, oh I don't know say, 3 gates and 1 gate is camped the campers don't know which gate I just jumped in from. They have to guess. They know I'm there cos I'm visible in Local but with Gate Logs they'd know exactly which gate and at what time my session-change\cloak will drop.

Think about it for a minute, it'll sink in why that would be a bad idea.

I agree with Maximus, a free automated intel channel would be even worse that local is now.

But, the idea of gates providing some sort of passenger manifest on demand has a nice ring to it.

Approach gate with ship, send request, pay isk (maybe?), receive email with manifest for all gate activations on this specific gate for time intervall X (maybe 15 Minutes?).

Tho I really don't see this being imlemented at any given time in eve. At all. Ever.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#263 - 2013-08-16 14:28:15 UTC
The aspect some may be missing, is that EVE is competitive.

You may not be shooting at someone directly, but with limited resources in the game, and a first come first serve set of mechanics in place, you are trying to be one of the players who reaches the ISK before it runs out.

Now, this version of Local STILL tells you who is in open space, and not cloaked. You are still being handed free intel, but with the understanding it has gaps in it.

No station dwellers, no outpost dwellers, and noone actually making an effort to hide with a cloak.

All of these require more effort to know about, which is perfectly appropriate since it took them effort in order to be hidden.

This is a good thing.
Shade Alidiana
PROSPERO Corporation
#264 - 2013-09-05 15:55:32 UTC
Men, I didn't say anything certain about info provided. Why would it discover the gate you have come through?
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#265 - 2013-09-05 16:10:04 UTC
Shade Alidiana wrote:
Men, I didn't say anything certain about info provided. Why would it discover the gate you have come through?

You did not specify that detail, but one of those who replied mentioned going up to a gate directly to get it's activity information.

They, on the other hand, did not seem to specify who came through beyond 15 minutes, only when activations occurred within that period.

It might be prudent to mount Observer Probes at gate locations, and have a covops capable of monitoring them.
That would be OP with existing local, but not a bad aspect to consider used with this version.

They would simply log pilot name, and ship type, and send that information directly to the CovOps pilot.
They could be targeted, and destructible, by those seeking to conceal details on ships coming afterwards.
They could be limited to in system use only, meaning the covops pilot needs to be present and online in the same system to use them.
They could have a limited life span, anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours before burning out. (Skill level or dev choice)

They are simply the EVE equivalent of security cameras.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#266 - 2013-09-13 18:56:55 UTC
Stupid idea. Hate it. Next.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#267 - 2013-09-27 22:21:11 UTC

1. Stealth bomber is not shown in local, but he warps on grid with a pve ship worth 500 mil.
  2. Stealth bomber decloaks right next to a pve ship.
  3. PVE player sees the hostile stealth bomber in local at the same time as he sees the ship on overview, the point, the missiles, and the cyno.
  4. Ah crap, there is zero chance to evade, even though the dscan was used diligently and the player was very keen about the intel and the local and everything. Crap! Call for help.
  5. Try to lock and kill him; 15-30s to lock.
  6. 50 hostiles come through cyno. Dozen friends break off rescue re-shipping and warp alignments, etc.
  7. PVE ship and pod go pop in seconds and hostiles disappear again; gone before any organized defense can come together.

Thoughts?

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#268 - 2013-09-27 22:46:40 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:

1. Stealth bomber is not shown in local, but he warps on grid with a pve ship worth 500 mil.
  3. PVE player sees the hostile stealth bomber in local at the same time as he sees the ship on overview, the point, the missiles, and the cyno.
  4. Ah crap, there is zero chance to evade, even though the dscan was used diligently and the player was very keen about the intel and the local and everything. Crap! Call for help.
  6. 50 hostiles come through cyno. Dozen friends break off rescue re-shipping and warp alignments, etc.
  7. PVE ship and pod go pop in seconds and hostiles disappear again; gone before any organized defense can come together.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a lot of fun.

if was really so...
Gigan Amilupar
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#269 - 2013-09-27 23:55:21 UTC
So wait, the idea proposed by this thread is to eliminate the "problem" of AFK cloakies (and I use quotation marks because the threat of someone asleep at the wheel is a subject of debate on these forums) by upgrading the intel that local provides? It was my understanding that the fact local acts as an intel tool to begin with instead of something that creates communication and leaves intelligence gathering to something else that engages players was the problem. So this is going backwards. The solution to a broken mechanic isn't to break it more.

Tilly Delnero
Doomheim
#270 - 2013-09-28 00:24:11 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:

Thoughts?

The man understands. +1

Semi-OT: As much as I enjoy the 'nullbear' meme it's honestly not true - null corp/alliance members need to rely on each other for safety and intel all the time. Despite the appearance of the 'big blue ball' they have to contend with roamers, killmail whores and other threats to individuals (alliances aren't always the sole targets of aggression) and ships blow up every day as a result.

As for removing local, try living in a wormhole for a few months and see the amount of extra effort and vigilance required to keep the system free of hostiles, and those don't even need to worry about cynos. I'd wager that many 'casual' nullsec players who enjoy the freedom they have out there wouldn't last long in a high-stress, high maintenance wormhole environment, much like most highsec players wouldn't last long in null.
Freako X
Doom Inc
#271 - 2013-09-28 05:36:41 UTC
Why don't we remove local in low and null sec? Treat it like some of the chat channels. You show up when you say something.

Force people to work together to do anom's, pvp, etc. Get people to actively use d-scan and probes.

I say this when I am a pretty casual player that solo's most of the time. I have a null-bear account too!
Xionyxa
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#272 - 2013-09-28 09:00:37 UTC
Freako X wrote:
Why don't we remove local in low and null sec? Treat it like some of the chat channels. You show up when you say something.

Force people to work together to do anom's, pvp, etc. Get people to actively use d-scan and probes.

I say this when I am a pretty casual player that solo's most of the time. I have a null-bear account too!

Local intel is part of the game, if you don't like it, go live in a WH

People do work together in null and low, a lot better than high sec already but EvE is a game of many time zones.

There isn't anom's big enough for true group effort.

D-scan only works when people need combat scan probes to find people, in null sec combat scan probes are only used by blue defenders, not warpy cloaky gankers.

Concord makes high sec safe, why don't we nerf that as well. For that matter why don't we allow hot drops in W-space and gate bubbles in high sec, that will make the game more fun..........
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#273 - 2013-09-28 11:29:14 UTC
Xionyxa wrote:

"Intel"? That's a joke, right? D-scan is intel, probe-scanning is intel. Local is carebearing.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Xionyxa
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#274 - 2013-09-28 12:21:47 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Xionyxa wrote:

"Intel"? That's a joke, right? D-scan is intel, probe-scanning is intel. Local is carebearing.

..................you ever lived in null sec

obviously not, if you did, you would know that reds never give themselves away with scan probes and everything bar WHs, archaeology, hacking and rare combat complexes can just be warped too.

You say D-scan right, even the people who live in WHs says that D-scan is broken and scan probes, yer, give us the ability to scan down cloaked ships then maybe we can start to talk about the local player list.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#275 - 2013-09-28 13:55:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Tilly Delnero wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

Thoughts?

The man understands. +1

Sura wrote:

if was really so...

Then I will add #8: All players know that stealth bombers will grab point and cyno with 0s warning. All ops vulnerable to a hotdropping stealth bomber will cease.

Further Predictions extending from #8: No pve ops are conducted in null sec. PVP'ers can't stand pve in their pvp ships and pve'ers move their ops to somewhere with local operating or else within the protection of Concord and without wardecs. All ships and resources are imported from null into local-less space. PVP'ers only engage with blobs in hopes that their blob is bigger than the enemy blob and with cyno's to augment their blobs as needed. Players only undock in blobs for fear that a blob sits outside of each station, if they dock at all, or scouts are required for all undocks. The list goes on and on.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#276 - 2013-09-29 18:00:40 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Tilly Delnero wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

Thoughts?

The man understands. +1

Sura wrote:

if was really so...

Then I will add #8: All players know that stealth bombers will grab point and cyno with 0s warning. All ops vulnerable to a hotdropping stealth bomber will cease.

Further Predictions extending from #8: No pve ops are conducted in null sec. PVP'ers can't stand pve in their pvp ships and pve'ers move their ops to somewhere with local operating or else within the protection of Concord and without wardecs. All ships and resources are imported from null into local-less space. PVP'ers only engage with blobs in hopes that their blob is bigger than the enemy blob and with cyno's to augment their blobs as needed. Players only undock in blobs for fear that a blob sits outside of each station, if they dock at all, or scouts are required for all undocks. The list goes on and on.

The ability to detect cloaked vessels goes hand in hand with the responsibility to do so.
This thread depicts essentially the bare minimum requirement to make this detection method balanced.

The method is the second thread in my signature.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#277 - 2013-09-29 18:49:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Nikk Narrel wrote:

The ability to detect cloaked vessels goes hand in hand with the responsibility to do so.
This thread depicts essentially the bare minimum requirement to make this detection method balanced.

Your idea has merit, Nick. I still see issues with cloaked cynos, tbph. Also, if a stealth bomber enters a system with a lot of bubbles around a gate AND a covert scanning ship with friends, burning back to the gate seems to be the only option which makes camped bubbles particularly effective at securing regions of space at choke points. Feedback?

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#278 - 2013-09-29 19:12:46 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Your idea has merit, Nick. I still see issues with cloaked cynos, tbph. Also, if a stealth bomber enters a system with a lot of bubbles around a gate AND a covert scanning ship with friends, burning back to the gate seems to be the only option which makes camped bubbles particularly effective at securing regions of space at choke points. Feedback?

This is exactly why the blops exists.

Cloaked vessels being able to avoid heavy gate camps, combined with planning.

(Could be a traitor opening the covert cyno behind the camp, noone will know if not caught in the act)
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#279 - 2013-09-30 08:15:20 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

This is exactly why the blops exists.

Cloaked vessels being able to avoid heavy gate camps, combined with planning.

(Could be a traitor opening the covert cyno behind the camp, noone will know if not caught in the act)

If pvp'ers were smart enough to do it AND had enough restraint to NOT get on the kill mail, then yes. A rare combination.

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#280 - 2013-09-30 10:35:18 UTC
1. jump into a system
2. dock up
3. go afk
4. ???
5. Profit!