These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

GM clarification on rewording of the Terms of Service

First post First post First post
Author
Echo Echoplex
#1301 - 2013-09-13 12:44:54 UTC
CCP, great scam! Maybe we can hook up later and you can give me some pointers.
o7

Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets. Gen. George S. Patton

Theon Severasse
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1302 - 2013-09-13 12:45:49 UTC
Can my alts claim to be my "business associate"? I mean I have after all exchanged money with him at some point. Hell, I've even directly traded him, and put up private contracts to him.

To say that he has done business with me isn't misrepresenting anything right?
arabella blood
Keyboard Jihad
#1303 - 2013-09-13 12:46:45 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Sipphakta en Gravonere wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:

I think scammers represent a very small % of the player base, the majority of them are absolutely annoying (just go to Jita for a minute or two) but I imagine they have a significant impact on both old and new players retention rate, especially the new players scammed out of ISK and deciding to leave rather than stay around.

Fun fact: The scammers that advertise in Jita local are unaffected by this change.

Exactly. This change leaves the mindless "ONE FOR THE PRICE OF TWO! BUY BUY BUY!" scams untouched while eliminating the entertaining, intelligent scams reliant on social engineering.

LOL. who's side are you anyway? Big smile

Troll for hire. Cheap prices.

Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#1304 - 2013-09-13 12:52:14 UTC
BitRusher wrote:
http://poeticstanziel.blogspot.ca/2013/09/i-really-wish-ccp-would-stop-insulting.html http://community.eveonline.com/support/knowledge-base/article.aspx?articleId=34

The name change was slipped in the TOS 3 months ago during a big war Its not been this way forever. What happened to don't petition scams there's nothing we can do to return your stuff, everyone has unique names be so be 100% certain, or never believe someone who says he is an alternate character of someone you know but doesn't offer any proper proof ? I just got to ask when did CCP get so full of **** ?

+1

Ask yourself the other question. (Tinfoil hat on) Is it coincidence that this crap change was made shortly after a certain high-level CCP person was employed by CCP ? I don't think that the majority of the CCP Dev's have been allowed to say or do anything about this, they've probably been instructed to tow the party line or walk away. is it truly just coincidence that EVE has lost two super Devs in these last few weeks ?

The CCP top management must be shown that this is a very, very poor decision they made in changing the TOS like this.
SquirlRuler Cadelanne
Guilliman Initiative
#1305 - 2013-09-13 12:54:59 UTC  |  Edited by: SquirlRuler Cadelanne
Wanted to voice my displeasure with this rewording as a pretty new player and as someone who has never scammed/not planning to in the foreseeable future.. As someone who joined Eve because of the ability to scam/spy/etc I feel this is going in the direction of every other game out there. Why is it the GMs job to baby us now?

This sums up pretty much how I feel:

"thee lous3" wrote:

I don't think the GM's understand how little I (we?) would care if I was impersonated. If somebody is clever enough to figure out an angle to awox or steal using my main's, or an alt's name - I would applaud them. I would consider how they pulled it off, and I would ensure it didn't happen again. Myself. Because I'm a grown ass man and that's why I play eve.

Slipping steadily into madness; now that is the only place to be free.

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#1306 - 2013-09-13 12:55:44 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
BitRusher wrote:
http://poeticstanziel.blogspot.ca/2013/09/i-really-wish-ccp-would-stop-insulting.html http://community.eveonline.com/support/knowledge-base/article.aspx?articleId=34

The name change was slipped in the TOS 3 months ago during a big war Its not been this way forever. What happened to don't petition scams there's nothing we can do to return your stuff, everyone has unique names be so be 100% certain, or never believe someone who says he is an alternate character of someone you know but doesn't offer any proper proof ? I just got to ask when did CCP get so full of **** ?

+1

Ask yourself the other question. (Tinfoil hat on) Is it coincidence that this crap change was made shortly after a certain high-level CCP person was employed by CCP ? I don't think that the majority of the CCP Dev's have been allowed to say or do anything about this, they've probably been instructed to tow the party line or walk away. is it truly just coincidence that EVE has lost two super Devs in these last few weeks ?

The CCP top management must be shown that this is a very, very poor decision they made in changing the TOS like this.

cough - Sony - cough

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Sirane Elrek
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1307 - 2013-09-13 12:58:56 UTC
Eugene Kerner wrote:
cough - Sony - cough

ccp management making terrible decisions isn't a thing that just started when sony got involved
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#1308 - 2013-09-13 13:00:58 UTC
I do wonder, now we live in the bizarre world where you can be banned for claiming to be yourself whether you are yourself or not, whether the GM team are Franz Kafka fans?

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

AndromacheDarkstar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1309 - 2013-09-13 13:01:07 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
First brutally honest feedback. I'll word it as politely as possible without sacrificing honesty.

This is the biggest knife in the heart of EVE's gameplay and culture of 'spies and deception are everywhere' since the Incarna debacle. I have no confidence in the ability of the people behind this change to understand EVE, let alone implement reasonable policies or rules.

It appears that any deceptive behaviour at all that involves a declaration that "X is my alt" or "I am working in conjunction with X" is against the rules, and by extension, and outsourcing of core activities of a corporation, alliance or 'entity' now has CCP enforcing the honesty of such dealings.

For instance, under the new rules Goonswarm Federation retain the CCP endorsed right to scam people interested in renting space from them. However, in the unlikely situation that Goonswarm were to appoint me (a non-member of the alliance) as a third party to act on their behalf in rental deals, I would not be allowed to scam and and deliberate scamming by me of renters would be an account-ban offence. (A similar situation would occur if I were to collude with a 'renter' that intended to not pay but instead use their 'rented space' as a staging ground to attack GSF interests).

Particularly relevant to sovereign nullsec is that one of the major vectors for inserting spies into hostile entities, applying to multiple corps saying "I am XYZ's alt", fishing for one that is not vigilant enough to API verify this information, is no longer legal.

What you should be doing is the following:

- Ban names that are deceptively close to existing character, corporation or alliance names. GM discretion applies when it's unclear (Currln Trading is clearly deceptively close to Currin Trading; while 'Avengers of the South' would not be deceptively close to 'Southern Avengers')
- Ban deceptive conduct carried out on CCP hosted websites other than the official EVE forums
- Change the font so that capital 'o' and 'zero' look more different ingame than the presently do. Likewise for capital 'i' and lower case 'l'.
- Remove all reference to 'entities'. The game client recognises corporations and alliances. It doesn't recognise coalitions, the New Order or other such 'entities'.
- Explicitly allow players to lie about their affiliation to in-game corporations and alliances and to other characters, as long as they do not do so in ways that 'trick' the in-game methods for checking this information. Disallowed would be misuse of CCP websites and any form of API falsification. (Providing information and saying 'this is what my API says' should be fine; altering what the API actually says should be a banhammer).

Absolutely spot on.

What the **** is going on ccp, why are you doing all this. Absolutely none of this needed fixing and there are much more pressing issues to address
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1310 - 2013-09-13 13:02:08 UTC
Petrus Justinianus wrote:

Can I get sponsored? I promise not to be a PL alt...

Don't worry, even if he IS a PL alt CCP will ban him and reimburse anything he awoxs![/quote]

And since it would be deemed illegal, I couldn't be one! Because that would be bannable.

(EDIT- Whoa, 66 pages holy hell).

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

embrel
BamBam Inc.
#1311 - 2013-09-13 13:06:09 UTC
possibly we should just start to petition every possibility. Could lead to CCP seeing they're on the wrong track or to a massive amount of bans. At least, thru the responses - when gathered - we could get a picture.

also, someone in CCP is falsely impersonating a lawyer.
AndromacheDarkstar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1312 - 2013-09-13 13:07:30 UTC
"I don't think the GM's understand how little I (we?) would care if I was impersonated. If somebody is clever enough to figure out an angle to awox or steal using my main's, or an alt's name - I would applaud them. I would consider how they pulled it off, and I would ensure it didn't happen again. Myself. Because I'm a grown ass man and that's why I play eve."

CCP I beg you, read and digest that quote because you are slowly wrecking a game so many people love by stripping it of its spirit
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#1313 - 2013-09-13 13:09:52 UTC
Needmore Longcat wrote:
This might be a bigger debacle than walking in stations was. Like others have said in this thread, I've never been prone to scamming, mainly because I do not have the patience, but caveat emptor should practically be the slogan of Condescending Dicks Eve Online. The ~meta game~ is what makes Eve what it is - without it, you'd just have a bunch of people shooting rocks and red crosses. It makes you think when you play, rather than just mindlessly follow quests. There are plenty of other games where you can collect 25 hides and get xp.

not hides. crystals. it's always some ******* crystals.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1314 - 2013-09-13 13:11:48 UTC
thee lous3 wrote:

You have no idea how much it warms my heart to see a CSM who gets it.
Malcanis, could you please inform us whether the majority of the CSM agrees or disagrees with the policy change?

I'm sorry to say that I have had almost no time for my CSM duties in the last 2 weeks, but I can confirm that I'm definitely not the only CSM who is unhappy with the turn this situation has taken.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

AndromacheDarkstar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1315 - 2013-09-13 13:14:24 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
thee lous3 wrote:

You have no idea how much it warms my heart to see a CSM who gets it.
Malcanis, could you please inform us whether the majority of the CSM agrees or disagrees with the policy change?

I'm sorry to say that I have had almost no time for my CSM duties in the last 2 weeks, but I can confirm that I'm definitely not the only CSM who is unhappy with the turn this situation has taken.

Well that's hopefull
BitRusher
Temporal Paradox
#1316 - 2013-09-13 13:14:25 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
BitRusher wrote:

+1

I would like to know who is too blame for this. If its Decker its not surprising. EA is a graveyard for original IPs and prone to making short sighted choices and I can't think of anything dumber then taking a game with 10 year old content and killing the meta so the community doesn't seem ruthless to new players.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1317 - 2013-09-13 13:15:09 UTC
arabella blood wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Sipphakta en Gravonere wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:

I think scammers represent a very small % of the player base, the majority of them are absolutely annoying (just go to Jita for a minute or two) but I imagine they have a significant impact on both old and new players retention rate, especially the new players scammed out of ISK and deciding to leave rather than stay around.

Fun fact: The scammers that advertise in Jita local are unaffected by this change.

Exactly. This change leaves the mindless "ONE FOR THE PRICE OF TWO! BUY BUY BUY!" scams untouched while eliminating the entertaining, intelligent scams reliant on social engineering.

LOL. who's side are you anyway? Big smile

EVE's.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Lexmana
#1318 - 2013-09-13 13:19:15 UTC
I haven't logged in for a while (but still pay my monthly fee because I can and because I want to support EVE) but this caught my attention and I just have to speak out.

What the **** are you doing CCP?
What is next? Ban scamming and "consensual" PvP only?
Miner Hottie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1319 - 2013-09-13 13:22:44 UTC
66 Pages and I have still not had a satisfactory answer.

So I will ask the questions very specifically and very carefully:

Why does the terms of service need to be expanded to say that you cannot impersonate a group of players, yet utterly and totally fail to define what a group of players is?

A group of players is as far as I am concerned a nearly unlimited label.

Why the **** do the GM's need such a broad label to resolve scamming issues? Have the CCP types forgotten about what happens when a person interacting with the game is given to much power (T20...). This power easily gives the right for a spy to petition a 'friendly* GM and ban a the FC in a fight and the FC's neutral probing alt.

The question for clarity: Why do the GM's need the ability to define for themselves per the terms of service , what a group of players is? The term is epically broad and subjective and not one time in any of the GM's responses have I seen an even remotely plausible reason or explanation as to why you need this power.

Be specific, why do you need this power and what does it achieve. If you have a more specific need for power, be specific, stop ******* around with a term that will make eve a ******* kindergarten once some numpty GM with less than no idea about Eve comes along and skull fucks the thing that makes eve special and unique.

It's all about how hot my mining lasers get.

SquirlRuler Cadelanne
Guilliman Initiative
#1320 - 2013-09-13 13:23:24 UTC
Lexmana wrote:
I haven't logged in for a while (but still pay my monthly fee because I can and because I want to support EVE) but this caught my attention and I just have to speak out.

What the **** are you doing CCP?
What is next? Ban scamming and "consensual" PvP only?

This seems like the next logical step...

Slipping steadily into madness; now that is the only place to be free.