These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

GM clarification on rewording of the Terms of Service

First post First post First post
Author
Capqu
Half Empty
xqtywiznalamywmodxfhhopawzpqyjdwrpeptuaenabjawdzku
#1241 - 2013-09-13 10:28:07 UTC
wait are they seriously outlawing scamming

jesus christ ccp i thought this was another walking in stations the playerbase are being babies debacle, but i understand now why zulu and soundwave are out the door
Sirane Elrek
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1242 - 2013-09-13 10:32:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Sirane Elrek
I understand that CCP wants to stop people using lowercase Ls and uppercase Is to fake somebody else's name. This has been policy for a long time (even if it gets rarely enforced). What however hasn't been policy for a long time, or maybe it has and just wasn't stated as such, was misrepresentation of affiliation: I could go around space and tell people I'm with TEST and want to sell them a bridge, and that was perfectly fine - I never claimed I was TEST, or Montolio, or whoever. As such I never misrepresented my identity.
Pretending to be a member of a group you're not suddenly is not acceptable anymore. Why was this change made? Why are you still claiming there has been no change of policy, if it's blatantly obvious there has?
Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1243 - 2013-09-13 10:35:22 UTC
GM Karidor wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

It could be the case that they want to avoid any act which allows for the potential identification of alts from their actions. Going back to the example where actually being an alt is treated differently:

The scammed player petitions Joe
- Gets reimbursed. Does business Abdiel as normal.
the scammed player petitions Phill
- No reimbursement > Scamee knows Phill = Abdiel thus both are labelled as scammers > Abdiel burns 2 characters since he was effectively outed by GM actions

Which demonstrates why the overreaching use, rather than simply naming, seems like a bad rule.

Bingo. That is one of the other reasons that both situations are handled identically.

Solution? Neither example should be petitionable.

This example is why this policy needs to be removed. If the scammed player didn't confirm that Joe was an alt of Abdiel it is his own fault. This rule interferes with the sandbox. Remove it.
Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1244 - 2013-09-13 10:42:46 UTC
Sirane Elrek wrote:
I understand that CCP wants to stop people using lowercase Ls and uppercase Is to fake somebody else's name. This has been policy for a long time (even if it gets rarely enforced). What however hasn't been policy for a long time, or maybe it has and just wasn't stated as such, was misrepresentation of affiliation: I could go around space and tell people I'm with TEST and want to sell them a bridge, and that was perfectly fine - I never claimed I was TEST, or Montolio, or whoever. As such I never misrepresented my identity.
Pretending to be a member of a group you're not suddenly is not acceptable anymore. Why was this change made? Why are you still claiming there has been no change of policy, if it's blatantly obvious there has?

What kind of bridge are you selling, and how do we know you can sell said bridge

You're a test bridge seller?

Loyalty is a virtue, participation brings reward.

BitRusher
Temporal Paradox
#1245 - 2013-09-13 10:44:05 UTC
http://poeticstanziel.blogspot.ca/2013/09/i-really-wish-ccp-would-stop-insulting.html http://community.eveonline.com/support/knowledge-base/article.aspx?articleId=34

The name change was slipped in the TOS 3 months ago during a big war Its not been this way forever. What happened to don't petition scams there's nothing we can do to return your stuff, everyone has unique names be so be 100% certain, or never believe someone who says he is an alternate character of someone you know but doesn't offer any proper proof ? I just got to ask when did CCP get so full of **** ?
Madlof Chev
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1246 - 2013-09-13 10:46:51 UTC
it sure would be great if these stupid lapses in judgement from CCP never happened
Siobhan MacLeary
Doomheim
#1247 - 2013-09-13 10:48:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Siobhan MacLeary
GM Karidor wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:

Help me understand this then:

I, Abdiel Kavash, run a legit 3rd party business. Over the years I gain the trust of hundreds and a multibillion empire.

CASE 1: A new character, Joe McScammer, completely unaffiliated with me, decides to make some extra money. Joe McScammer convoes a customer of AbdielCorp and claims to be an alt of Abdiel Kavash. The poor mark falls for it and gives Joe McScammer ISK thinking he's sending it to Abdiel Kavash.

In this case, Joe McScammer is guilty of "[using] the character name of another player to impersonate or falsely represent his or her identity", and if petitioned by the unsatisfied customer is prone to getting banned.

CASE 2: I decide that I want to make some extra money off my past customers, without necessarily having to provide any extra services. I create a new character, Phill McScammer, on my account. I then go talk to a past customer of AbdielCorp and I claim that Phill McScammer is an alt of Abdiel Kavash. Customer falls for it, sends me their money and never sees it again.

Since different characters are treated as separate entities, is this judged the same as case 1? Is Phill McScammer prone to getting banned for impersonating Abdiel Kavash? I.e. can I get banned for claiming that Phill McScammer is an alt of Abdiel Kavash?

I suppose you have read my example, so you can answer that yourself as it is pretty much the same thing with different names.

Abdiel Kavash wrote:

Can I be banned for telling the truth?

Your character Phill McScammer impersonated Abdiel Kavash, the same way as Joe McScammer did, thus gets it from us the same way if reported. From our point of view, as well as from a victims, there is no technical difference between those two cases of a character impersonating another.

This is such bullshit. The primary difference between Case 1 and Case 2 is that Phil is actually the same person behind the same keyboard as Abdiel Kavash, while Joe is a completely different person behind a completely different keyboard. By the use of simple logic, one can thus determine that in fact, there is a technical difference between the cases where banning Joe would make ******* sense while banning Phil would also punish Abdiel in addition to being an action that makes no bloody sense.

The fact that, according to GM Karidor, I can get banned for simply stating that a character that is my alt, is my alt is ******* mind-boggling.

GM Karidor, if this ruling is going to go into effect, I expect to see Chribba and his list of alts (Elyza, Yuffie, Ifalna, Ellone, Rikku, Selphie, Nhadala, Refia, Shalua, Arylon, Chribba Kamprad, Chribba Veldspar, Enola Black, Chribba Claus, Selena Gomez, Rachele Smith, Bree Turner, Alexis Dziena, Zoe Saldana, Meagan Good, Amanda Crew, Amber Tamblyn, Tammin Sursok, Shenae Grimes, Kristen Wiig, Jennifer Alden, Nina Dobrev, Kaley Cuoco, Emilee Wallace, Alyson Michalka, Aimee Teegarden, Carla Gallo, Collette Wolfe, Shelley Hennig, Krysten Ritter, Alia Shawkat, Ellie Kemper, Ari Graynor, Maria Pitillo, Sydney Bennett, Alyson Stoner, Noureen DeWulf, Brie Larson, Rosamund Pike, Charlie Spradling, Anna-Sophia Robb, Katie Findlay, Vanessa Lengies, Rose Leslie and Lizzy Caplan.) all banned sometime within the near future*. If this doesn't happen, then clearly CCP is full of ****.

*Nothing personal, Chribba, you just have an unholy amount of alts and they make a fantastic example of just why this change to the TOS and, more specifically, GM Karidor's interpretation of it, is complete and utter idiocy.

Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.” - CCP Soundwave

Madlof Chev
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1248 - 2013-09-13 10:50:34 UTC
also ali aras is possibly the most awful, selfserving, scumsucking brown-nose of a csm I've ever seen

gog damn i'd rather have darius iii on csm8
X ATM092
The Hatchery
SL0W CHILDREN AT PLAY
#1249 - 2013-09-13 10:50:39 UTC
GM Karidor wrote:
Milton Middleson wrote:

What if Abdiel Kavash directly confirms that Phill McScammer (his alt) is in fact his alt (e.g. starting a private conversation with the mark using his main and saying "Phill McScammer is my alt")? Does that still qualify as impersonation?

Why would you even bother with the alt in that situation? You can just do whatever you need to do with Abdiel Kavash then. The character Phil technically still impersonates Abdiel.

This seems absolutely ludicrous. If I go up to a friend and say "xatm@internet.com is my email address" and then sometime later they receive an email from that address that was written by me nobody would say xatm@internet.com is impersonating me, they would say I wrote them an email. Likewise if I tell a guy that Phill McScammer is my alt and then I chat with them on Phill McScammer while presenting myself as my alt having confirmed with my main that it is my alt then there is no impersonation, I'm just talking to a dude.
Sirane Elrek
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1250 - 2013-09-13 10:52:00 UTC
Alavaria wrote:

What kind of bridge are you selling, and how do we know you can sell said bridge

I'm a founding member of the EVE Online Group of Legit Bridge Salesmen, trust me
xBumper Baby
Joss Ackland's Spunky Backpackers
#1251 - 2013-09-13 10:52:12 UTC
GM Karidor wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:

Help me understand this then:

I, Abdiel Kavash, run a legit 3rd party business. Over the years I gain the trust of hundreds and a multibillion empire.

CASE 1: A new character, Joe McScammer, completely unaffiliated with me, decides to make some extra money. Joe McScammer convoes a customer of AbdielCorp and claims to be an alt of Abdiel Kavash. The poor mark falls for it and gives Joe McScammer ISK thinking he's sending it to Abdiel Kavash.

In this case, Joe McScammer is guilty of "[using] the character name of another player to impersonate or falsely represent his or her identity", and if petitioned by the unsatisfied customer is prone to getting banned.

CASE 2: I decide that I want to make some extra money off my past customers, without necessarily having to provide any extra services. I create a new character, Phill McScammer, on my account. I then go talk to a past customer of AbdielCorp and I claim that Phill McScammer is an alt of Abdiel Kavash. Customer falls for it, sends me their money and never sees it again.

Since different characters are treated as separate entities, is this judged the same as case 1? Is Phill McScammer prone to getting banned for impersonating Abdiel Kavash? I.e. can I get banned for claiming that Phill McScammer is an alt of Abdiel Kavash?

I suppose you have read my example, so you can answer that yourself as it is pretty much the same thing with different names.

Abdiel Kavash wrote:

Can I be banned for telling the truth?

Your character Phill McScammer impersonated Abdiel Kavash, the same way as Joe McScammer did, thus gets it from us the same way if reported. From our point of view, as well as from a victims, there is no technical difference between those two cases of a character impersonating another.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the thread Karidor. On the other hand, I wish you hadn't. This is very sad. I've never scammed anyone and have never had the desire to do so before. But being part of a game which allows these things to happen, and having to be on the lookout for them, is what has made this game special over the years.

CASE 1 is a fine example of someone being incredibly guillible and getting the education that they so obviously need. Outlawing this kind of behaviour is like laying out the welcome mat to the hoardes of internet thickos, which this game has done so well to filter out over the years.

CASE 2 is a fine example of a long con. Difficult to detect and avoid, but equally difficult to set up and maintain. There are lessons to be learned by those on the receiveing end. The idea that someone could be warned/banned for truthfully identifying their own alt is one of astonishing lunacy.

These things were not banned under previous policies. If they were, they were worded in an atrocious manner. In fact, they still are. It has taken over 1000 posts in this thread to get this kind of clarity on what is not allowed. And what is not allowed is a massive part of EVE's culture and history.
Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1252 - 2013-09-13 10:56:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Sol Kal'orr
GM Karidor on scamming by pretending to be an alt:

GM Karidor wrote:
To throw the ball back to you: In the hypothetical situation that we were to take no action in such cases, you'd be rather annoyed about Joe once you got wind that he's ruining your hard earned reputation, wouldn't you? Given that such characters as Joe usually don't go about wandering in space very often, you'd have no real recourse of hounding him down until the end of time either.

Dealing with Joe is my job, not yours. All I need to do if someone is impersonating me is add "'Joe Mcscammer' isn't me" to my bio. Should someone not look at my bio and do a deal with Joe without looking at my bio it is their own fault.
arabella blood
Keyboard Jihad
#1253 - 2013-09-13 10:58:29 UTC
Anyone has a date on when are we shooting the Jita monument again?

Troll for hire. Cheap prices.

Sirane Elrek
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1254 - 2013-09-13 10:58:58 UTC
Madlof Chev wrote:
also ali aras is possibly the most awful, selfserving, scumsucking brown-nose of a csm I've ever seen

it's kinda sad how people would rather have politicians who do nothing but sit on their fat lazy ass all day because at least they're not actively making it worse
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#1255 - 2013-09-13 11:01:02 UTC
Yonis Kador wrote:
Are any of the 32 Saumel Jacksons, 38 Justin Biebers, 45 Lady Gagas, and the 76 Madonnas violating the new ToS?

One of them has to be doing something wrong.

YK

What I want to know is if Justin Bieber (the RL one) decided to discourage the use of his name (or heaven forbid want to play the game using his name) in order to control his image ( a valid and enforced situation in RL) what CCP is going to do about the 38 toons already in play?
Lady Areola Fappington
#1256 - 2013-09-13 11:04:04 UTC
This is what grinds my gears. Two examples incoming.

Example A: I form a corp, "Sansha's Auxiliary" and RP that I'm a podder in service to Sansha. Me and my corp RP that we are given orders my Mr. Kuvakei himself, to go gank other pilots that he feels are a threat to his organization, yet hide in the embrace of highsec.

Example B: I form a group, "Sisters of EVE Benevolent Fund". I go around and hand out ISK to pilots. I RP that I'm being given orders by the current leader of the SoE (don't have the name handy) to give ISK to pilots he or she feels will be important to his/her faction.

In example A, I can be banned for malicious false representation of an NPC..I'm blowing folks up, see. In example B, I'll be fine, because as according to GM explanations, my false representation of an NPC group is benevolent.

Now, I know, LOL RP and all, but in that example, CCP is showing preference to one style of play over another. We can pretend to be a part of any NPC organization we like, so long as we're "nice" about it.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1257 - 2013-09-13 11:04:10 UTC
Sirane Elrek wrote:
Madlof Chev wrote:

it's kinda sad how people would rather have politicians who do nothing but sit on their fat lazy ass all day because at least they're not actively making it worse

Well, when you put it that way ....

Loyalty is a virtue, participation brings reward.

Jarmuk
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1258 - 2013-09-13 11:07:29 UTC
Yo, devs. Come out.

Or do you still tell yourselves that nothing is going on here?
Needmore Longcat
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1259 - 2013-09-13 11:11:58 UTC
This might be a bigger debacle than walking in stations was. Like others have said in this thread, I've never been prone to scamming, mainly because I do not have the patience, but caveat emptor should practically be the slogan of Condescending Dicks Eve Online. The ~meta game~ is what makes Eve what it is - without it, you'd just have a bunch of people shooting rocks and red crosses. It makes you think when you play, rather than just mindlessly follow quests. There are plenty of other games where you can collect 25 hides and get xp.
Madlof Chev
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1260 - 2013-09-13 11:20:13 UTC
highsec missions should be banned as the people that run them falsely represent themselves as players that interact with the game world