These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

GM clarification on rewording of the Terms of Service

First post First post First post
Author
Dirk Action
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1141 - 2013-09-13 05:07:37 UTC
hey so you know the random name generator when you create a character, right?

if I press it enough I get a name that is similar to some other pubbie bootlicker. can I now be petitioned? can I petition them? will the GMs get mad at me because I sent in a petition based on their new worthless rules?

I'm on page 22 and counting so sorry if this shŃ–tstorm has already been resolved, but damn man
Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1142 - 2013-09-13 05:07:43 UTC
Rhes wrote:
Petrus Justinianus wrote:
Rhes wrote:
Syman Saissore wrote:
I have no idea what CCP is thinking any more...

I guess it's good that the GM dude has been back in the thread but it would be great to hear from an actual adult at CCP.

seriously, i kinda feel bad for the GM's in this thread. they obviously did not write the new version of the TOS (they probably had some input but they definitely don't have the authority to make these decisions) but seriously can we get a dev to step in and give an official response to these changes. no offence to the GM's but you are only enforcing these policies, i'm not mad at you guys, but i would like to have words with the author of these changes.

I'm not so sure. We've had other instances of GMs trying to change game policies on their own (the no scamming in the recruitment channel was a highlight) and this kind of feels like another one. That's why it would be helpful for someone a little higher up in the food chain to comment in the thread.

Revisionist "clarifications"

"No real changes"

"Always been like this"

"You are ineffectually rioting"

Loyalty is a virtue, participation brings reward.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#1143 - 2013-09-13 05:11:51 UTC
Shiva Makoto wrote:
I think this is my first post but i have to give my 2 isk to this. Someone please tell me if i got this right:

So if anybody is stupid enough to not take the time and ask if McScammer is really my alt McScammer gets banned because some scrub was too stupid/lazy to ask?
And even if he asks and i tell him McScammer is my alt, McScammer gets banned for impersonating me by being my legit alt?

Actually, this is not my biggest problem with the policy. I'm enough of a roleplayer that the different characters on this account actually are different characters, and it would be perfectly reasonable to have, e.g., a straight-shooting mission-running character and a scammer and a suicide ganker character on the same account, for the simple reason that I want to explore several different paths in EVE at the same time without giving my mission-runner a -10 security status. In that case, it truly wouldn't matter that the characters were on the same account. That's completely meta, i.e., it's irrelevant in game, so I'm cool with that.

Where I take issue is with the idea that the person scammed can file a petition--whether against an alt or a completely different player--and have a case under the EULA. "Malevolent intent" as a EULA violation has jaw-dropping implications for the game.

Shiva Makoto wrote:
If this is true i'll petition any alt who tells me he is the alt of xy.

This is not a good idea, just FYI. The GMs' decisions will not improve the more they're flooded with frivolous claims, and their disposition toward you will probably not improve either. In fact, I'm pretty sure they can whack you for wasting their time.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Dirk Action
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1144 - 2013-09-13 05:14:52 UTC
Ali Aras wrote:
La Nariz wrote:
22 pages and we still have the same explanation from a couple days ago with more words that don't clarify anything.

On the contrary, the new explanation (the one by GM Karidor) lays out the reasoning behind the TOS change and quotes the other policy that the TOS is being brought into line with. It's pretty clear to me now what CCP's views on impersonation are; while the specifics of any particular scheme are a bit fuzzy, I'm content with knowing that as long as I'm not doing something blatantly out there, I won't get instabant.

The clarification by GM Karidor sums up quite well everything the CSM has heard in internal conversations. Given the clarification, it's now clear that the TOS change is consistent with previous policy, and confusion about that stems from people's (mis)understanding of previous enforcement. After all, it's easy to go from "recruitment scamming for GSF as a Goon is okay" to "recruitment scamming for GSF as a TEST pilot is okay" without feeling like you've made a leap of logic. This is the stated reason behind the update-- players were confused.

With all that said, this thread has made clear that there remains some unhappiness with the policy as written and intended by CCP. This unhappiness has been noted by the CSM, and we can and will follow up on the policy itself. However, that process is a longer one that will take place internally; rioting in this thread is unlikely to be effective. Given the way the CSM process has worked so far and the success we've had in other conversations, I look forward to future productive discussions with CCP, and hope to be able to share results of those in the future.

god shut up
Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1145 - 2013-09-13 05:15:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Shiva Makoto wrote:
If this is true i'll petition any alt who tells me he is the alt of xy.

This is not a good idea, just FYI. The GMs' decisions will not improve the more they're flooded with frivolous claims, and their disposition toward you will probably not improve either. In fact, I'm pretty sure they can whack you for wasting their time.

This would be like a failed gank.

A success requires you to skillfully convince the GM that the other guy is a bad guy, such that they get in trouble.

If you are going to be bad at the petitioning style of gameplay, you will suffer. I can't say much except it is important for such players to "learn to petition".

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#1146 - 2013-09-13 05:16:01 UTC
Crimson Gauntlet wrote:
So, let's talk about libel.

Since it now (because, clearly, it never was acted on before) against the ToS to "impersonate" someone yourself, is it also actionable to libel (knowingly or otherwise) someone as being an alt of a widely hated figure in the EVE universe?

Example:

This character is a suicide ganker. Several times since his creation earlier this week, I have been accused of being an alt of James 315. This character is not, he is not only distinct and separate, but the holders of the account are not the same person (which should be the same thing, but clearly is not anymore).

So, seeing as James 315 is a widely disreputable figure among a significant subset of the EVE population, can I report the 2 dozen or so people who have accused me of this (which is the literal definition of misrepresentation applied outward), as it could be argued to be damaging to my reputation?

For a further example, suppose someone accuses Random Goon #419 of being an alt of The Mittani. The Mittani is the single most widely hated individual in EVE and some of the smaller northeastern states. Is an accusation intended to be damaging to the reputation of Random Goon #419 a violation, as it is deliberately misrepresenting this character as something he is not?

And, if the answer is that I can, in fact, petition this as an act of libel, can I do it for someone accusing me of being one of my own alts? Because if the alt and the player are separate now... the two should be interchangable. :P

Try it, find out.

Next time someone accuses me of being a James 315 alt, I guess I'll have to petition it. See what happens.

If there's enough additional work for the GMs, maybe that will make CCP rethink this ridiculous idea.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Rena Senn
Halal Gunnery
#1147 - 2013-09-13 05:17:34 UTC
Under the new rules can a multiboxer who names all his characters in a predictable manner be banned for impersonating himself as soon as I see them in local? How about all the old goon characters that go by the VCBee ### naming scheme who were actual members of the goons being played by different people. Are all of them bannable as well?

And finally does this mean GM renamed characters can be banned for impersonating each other by default? I've never spoken with either Gallente Citizen 827473904500 or Gallente Citizen 827473904580, but just their names alone look like a pretty bad case of impersonation to me.
Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1148 - 2013-09-13 05:22:15 UTC
Rena Senn wrote:
Under the new rules can a multiboxer who names all his characters in a predictable manner be banned for impersonating himself as soon as I see them in local? How about all the old goon characters that go by the VCBee ### naming scheme who were actual members of the goons being played by different people. Are all of them bannable as well?

Wait, does this mean you could get tons of goons banned?

Oh yes, oh yes, soon there will be no goons. The goons' 0.0 dream will be over

Dirk Action
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1149 - 2013-09-13 05:25:37 UTC
Ali Aras wrote:
contrary to popular belief, large public outcry is largely ineffective in getting anything done.

lol

Ali Aras wrote:
I was unaware that posting acknowledging concerns and promising to use the tools at my disposal to work to resolve them constituted a "brush-off". I meant what I said when I said that I'd seen a lot of good come out of the CSM process, more than just "a devblog once in a while". The fact that we work primarily under NDA and outside of the public eye can make it hard to see, especially when our efforts avert a crisis instead of responding to one.

for christ's sake Mittens where are you

save us from this complacent representative
Dirk Action
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1150 - 2013-09-13 05:27:23 UTC
it's been, what, 4 days? and a few threadnaughts

pretty sure if ccp cared about the opinion of the players and the counsel of the csm that they would have acted by now
Dirk Action
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1151 - 2013-09-13 05:28:12 UTC
hey do you know what the mittani did when he realized ccp didn't care about the wellbeing of its playerbase and the words of the elected representatives?

he incited a riot
Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1152 - 2013-09-13 05:28:22 UTC
Dirk Action wrote:
Ali Aras wrote:
contrary to popular belief, large public outcry is largely ineffective in getting anything done.

lol

Ali Aras wrote:
I was unaware that posting acknowledging concerns and promising to use the tools at my disposal to work to resolve them constituted a "brush-off". I meant what I said when I said that I'd seen a lot of good come out of the CSM process, more than just "a devblog once in a while". The fact that we work primarily under NDA and outside of the public eye can make it hard to see, especially when our efforts avert a crisis instead of responding to one.

for christ's sake Mittens where are you

save us from this complacent representative

We are not worthy of the mittani

Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1153 - 2013-09-13 05:28:39 UTC
Dirk Action wrote:
hey do you know what the mittani did when he realized ccp didn't care about the wellbeing of its playerbase and the words of the elected representatives?

he incited a riot

I bet ccp is happy he isn't doing that now

Dirk Action
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1154 - 2013-09-13 05:29:10 UTC
basically what i'm saying is stop brown-nosing the devs, they won't hire you and it makes you look like a chump
Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1155 - 2013-09-13 05:30:25 UTC
Dirk Action wrote:
basically what i'm saying is stop brown-nosing the devs, they won't hire you and it makes you look like a chump

Well, there was that one hire, if you recall.

Alavaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1156 - 2013-09-13 05:33:25 UTC
Maybe eve online is about being chumps.

Dirk Action
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1157 - 2013-09-13 05:34:03 UTC
i'm listening to death grips and i'm feeling very mc ride

"sit in the dark and ponder how i'm fit to make the bottom fall through the floor"
Yonis Kador
KADORCORP
#1158 - 2013-09-13 05:41:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Yonis Kador
Alavaria wrote:

This is the new addition which balances risk and reward. The petition mechanism, useable anywhere, even in highsec.

Sure, petitioning isn't without risk, but the reward is the best type of punishment for the badguy - banning by a GM. And clearly player skill is involved in making sure you get the other guy in trouble and not yourself.

I wouldn't call it griefing, as the whole mechanic revolves around getting -a- GM who will push butan and make someone disappear. The GMs are infalliable, but you can of course "try again" by knowing about escalation mechanisms which give you additional chances of getting someone who will push the butan.

GM Spiral wrote:

Customer support does not look kindly upon being manipulated against its own customers.

haha Uh oh.

Actually, did anyone else see GM Spiral's post that ended the thread: "Big Brother is Watching You?" Clear, concise, lays out hypotheticals and then gives explanations why/why not, on and on. Even if you disagree with the content, the structure of that response was pretty commendable, eh?

Why can't something similar be done here? Just lay out some case examples for guidelines of what is and is not acceptable. All this self-impersonation talk drives me nuts. What? I just don't think this uncertainty should be allowed to hang over the playerbase indefinately. At this point, even if CCP had zero intention of changing its policing behavior, the changed language of the ToS would still have an effect on the game's players and its content. That genie is out...

So, imo, every player has a stake in this being settled with a swiftness.

YK
Sid Hudgens
Doomheim
#1159 - 2013-09-13 05:42:32 UTC
I will admit I was a little confused by the alt thing at first, but after the latest explanation it seems pretty clear to me why this is necessary. Most of you are so wrapped around the axle at this point you can't see it ... or you're just ******* dense, I'm not sure which.

The reason the case where someone is lying about being an alt and someone is telling the truth about being an alt is treated the same way is to keep people from using the petitioning system as an intel tool to find out who people's alts are. The GMs, in this case have to treat each CHARACTER as a separate entity ... in order to not reveal that they are linked to the same PLAYER. This actually helps you scammers keep the identity of your alts secret.

Those of you who are making up stupid examples of getting banned for responding in the wrong alt's chat window and other such nonsense seem to think that there is a massive room of people watching all player communication and looking for someone to say they're an alt so they can be ban-hammered. That is obviously not how things work. Someone has to petition you first, and then a GM has to review the petition and determine that you were trying to impersonate someone with malicious intent (to scam them.) Any petitions that are that obviously stupid are going to be rejected as obviously stupid. (And hopefully a form letter indicating "Your petition has been rejected for being stupid." will be sent to the petitioner.)

So can some of you please try to get past the whole "alt" thing...?

Putting the alt thing aside you're all probably still upset about the fact that you can be petitioned for impersonating someone...

The additional explanation of how this is the same as previous policy mostly tracks for me as well. The previous policy was buried in the naming policy but has been moved to the TOS for clarity. Some of you are reading this as CCP making scams against the TOS. I don't see how you're getting there. This does make scams that are based on impersonating other players against the TOS ... as it was previously against the naming policy as the GM clarified. I don't see this as making scams against the TOS at all. It simply means you can't design your scams around impersonating another player. (So, don't be lazy. If you want to be a scammer or a spy, put some effort into it, ffs.)

If it is "wrong" or against EVE culture for impersonation-based scams to be against the rules is certainly something worthy of debate. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. People who put some more thought into their scams and other nefarious plots than "Hey, I'm Joe's alt" will still be scamming happily away for years to come. But hey, I get it ... effort, and all. Perhaps this is something that should be discussed without all of the rampant stupidity that has been in this thread.

There is one area that is still quite murky in my opinion and that is the impersonation or representation of "groups." In the context of EVE, "groups" is going to be hard to define. (BTW if you really think selling a raven as an RNI would be misrepresenting yourself as part of the group of "RNI owners" then you're the most pedantic tool I've seen in a while.) Obviously if groups not defined within the game mechanics are taken into consideration then the rule becomes almost meaningless right off the bat. Not being able to represent yourself as being part of a group that is defined by game mechanics ... just seems silly, really. This part is still a cause for concern for me unless someone can explain it further in a way that makes some sense.

"....as if 10,058 Goon voices cried out and were suddenly silenced."

Echo Echoplex
#1160 - 2013-09-13 05:44:28 UTC
I have a suggestion, how about this:

Starting oh, say, tomorrow morning 8am Evetime, an initial post/document is put together here in this thread, comprising one set of very brief, succinct, to-the-point questions, kept as short as possible and bulleted, followed by another set of possible problem-scenarios, each again short, clear and bulleted-maybe no more than 8-10 of each.

All agree not to post here for the next full day unless it is to edit and repaste the form with possible improvements.
By 8pm tomorrow evening whatever it ends up being is presented here with a request for a formal response to the doc, hopefully from one of the Devs or by a GM after consultation with one.

The fact that this thread alone has reached 50+ pages means a crapton for them to weed through, which may be at least a part of the delay in getting the sort of clarity and finalization to the matter that's needed. There are a lot of very legitimate concerns raised and just as many frustration posts. Maybe putting something together from the player base that's at least less confusing than the current EULA will speed things along.

If no answer is forthcoming would it be against the EULA for members to PM/email/send it as a petition?

Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets. Gen. George S. Patton