These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

GM clarification on rewording of the Terms of Service

First post First post First post
Author
Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#961 - 2013-09-12 19:45:26 UTC
Georgina Parmala wrote:
Requiescat wrote:
present a regular raven as a navy raven by naming it "raven navy issue" and putting it in a contract? where does this end?

You already can't rename a Raven to Raven Navy Issue and undock in it, because you are misrepresenting yourself by falsely naming an in-game entity. Let alone try to pass it off as one in a contract/station trade.

Where does it prohibit that? This thread is about TOS item 8, which doesn't include the language "in-game entity", but only "NPC entity". A raven is certainly not an "NPC entity".
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#962 - 2013-09-12 19:51:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Georgina Parmala wrote:
Requiescat wrote:
present a regular raven as a navy raven by naming it "raven navy issue" and putting it in a contract? where does this end?

You already can't rename a Raven to Raven Navy Issue and undock in it, because you are misrepresenting yourself by falsely naming an in-game entity. Let alone try to pass it off as one in a contract/station trade.

Where does it prohibit that? This thread is about TOS item 8, which doesn't include the language "in-game entity", but only "NPC entity". A raven is certainly not an "NPC entity".

If broadly interpreted, right there in bold, a ship is a player nameable item.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#963 - 2013-09-12 19:56:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Nathalie LaPorte
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

The quote you linked prohibits nothing, but merely defines what an 'ingame name' is. Try again.
Theon Severasse
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#964 - 2013-09-12 19:57:02 UTC
Hey so if I somehow managed to convince a guy that I was his own alt, he has no recourse right? I mean after all he can't prove that I'm not his alt. Pirate
Georgina Parmala
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#965 - 2013-09-12 20:02:50 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

So is a contract, so further claiming the item to be something it is not in the contract name is a second violation.

Science and Trade Institute [STI] is an NPC entity and as such my views do not represent those of the entity or any of its members

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=276984&p=38

Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#966 - 2013-09-12 20:04:55 UTC
Georgina Parmala wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

So is a contract, so further claiming the item to be something it is not in the contract name is a second violation.

Violation of what?
Jonah Gravenstein
#967 - 2013-09-12 20:08:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

The quote you linked prohibits nothing, but merely defines what an 'ingame name' is. Try again.
It's part of the "clarification" by GM Karidor as posted on page 12 of this thread, while it is part of the naming policy and not Article 8, the fact that a GM used it in their "clarification" and that it refers to impersonation, as covered by Article 8, makes it relevant.

I'll quote it in full, just for you, because you obviously couldn't be bothered to actually read what was linked in the quote.
GM Karidor wrote:
2. IN-GAME NAMES
b. In-game names may not:
Impersonate or parody
any employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers.
Impersonate or parody an NPC type from the EVE game world (i.e. CONCORD or other official NPC corporation or organization members) for the purpose of misleading other players.
In-game names include, but are not limited to: Character names, corporation names, alliance names and any other player-nameable item or entity within the game world.

c. No player may use the character name of another player to falsely represent his or her identity. Player created corporation and alliance names also fall under this policy, as do names of any other in-game entities

Bold emphasis is mine, otherwise the quote is as presented by GM Karidor

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#968 - 2013-09-12 20:12:51 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

It's part of the "clarification" by GM Karidor as posted on page 12 of this thread, while it is part of the naming policy and not Article 8, the fact that a GM used it in their "clarification" and that it refers to impersonation, as covered in Article 8, makes it relevant.

I'll quote it in full, just for you, because you obviously couldn't be bothered to actually read what was linked in the quote.
GM Karidor wrote:
2. IN-GAME NAMES
Impersonate or parody any employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers.
Impersonate or parody an NPC type from the EVE game world (i.e. CONCORD or other official NPC corporation or organization members) for the purpose of misleading other players.
In-game names include, but are not limited to: Character names, corporation names, alliance names and any other player-nameable item or entity within the game world.

c. No player may use the character name of another player to falsely represent his or her identity. Player created corporation and alliance names also fall under this policy, as do names of any other in-game entities

Tecnically the full post still doesn't prohibit passing a Raven off as a RNI since it doesn't impersonate an employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers or parody an NPC type from the EVE game world. Individual items in game are not mentioned as not being able to be impersonated.
Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#969 - 2013-09-12 20:13:09 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

GM Karidor wrote:
2. IN-GAME NAMES
Impersonate or parody any employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers.

I'll repeat myself in full, just for you, because you obviously couldn't be bothered to read what I said. Nothing in there prohibits naming a ship after a different ship.
Doris Dents
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#970 - 2013-09-12 20:17:01 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Bold emphasis is mine, otherwise the quote is as presented by GM Karidor

Heh, if CCP are hoping to reduce their CS workload they are in for a rude awakening. Prepare for a million of petitions from the careless as they cry about each and every contract scam. Cry then escalate then repetition ad infinium because hey CCP said it's you can trust us™ to apply this sensibly so maybe this next dude will give me my hard earned money back that I surely deserve because no one is punished for being dumb in these games surely?
Jonah Gravenstein
#971 - 2013-09-12 20:18:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
I disagree with both Tyberius Franklin and Nathalie LaPorte, but I'm not arguing the toss, because the wording is so ambiguous that it's open to wildly differing interpretations of what it actually means, which is kind of the point.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#972 - 2013-09-12 20:22:26 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
I disagree with both Tyberius Franklin and Nathalie LaPorte, but I'm not arguing the toss, because the wording is so ambiguous that it's open to wildly differing interpretations of what it actually means, which is kind of the point.

You haven't been quoting the toss[sic], you've been quoting the naming policy; and the wording of both isn't really ambiguous at all. A ship is clearly not an NPC. The only ambiguity is that provided by CCP providing a new set of written rules, saying they won't really enforce them, and that nothing has changed--which is a massive amount of ambiguity, to be sure, but it's not in the wordings themselves.
Jonah Gravenstein
#973 - 2013-09-12 20:27:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Like I said, I'm not arguing about it. Right or wrong, that was my interpretation.

edit for clarities sake - I also stated "broadly interpreted" and that it was a part of the naming policy covering impersonation, as referred to by Article 8

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Cierra Royce
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#974 - 2013-09-12 20:28:40 UTC
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

GM Karidor wrote:
2. IN-GAME NAMES

I'll repeat myself in full, just for you, because you obviously couldn't be bothered to read what I said. Nothing in there prohibits naming a ship after a different ship.

But name it 'Serpentis Admiral' et voila instant ban material.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#975 - 2013-09-12 20:30:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

The passage quoted relevant to this doesn't seem ambiguous to me. Realistically this demonstrates that the idea of a completely clear EULA and TOS is impossible with more than a few, similarly minded individuals reading it.

That aside, the reason I'm here is that the most recent additions, of which the quoted is not a part, is 1) Not to be interpreted as written, 2) Represents an unacknowledged effective change in policy as the rules were unclear and thus largely unpetitioned and consequentially unenforced 3) Uses poorly defined terms, and as a result 4) makes the new rules unclear without intentionally breaking them to find the bounds.
Georgina Parmala
Caldari State
#976 - 2013-09-12 20:32:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Georgina Parmala
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

You haven't been quoting the toss[sic], you've been quoting the naming policy; and the wording of both isn't really ambiguous at all. A ship is clearly not an NPC.

Not ambiguous at all

ToS
Quote:
You may not impersonate or falsely present yourself to be a representative of another player, group of players, character or NPC entity.

Naming Policy
Quote:

By naming my Raven as a Raven Navy Issue I falsely present myself to be a representative of the "raven navy issue owner" group of players.

Science and Trade Institute [STI] is an NPC entity and as such my views do not represent those of the entity or any of its members

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#977 - 2013-09-12 20:37:08 UTC
Georgina Parmala wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

You haven't been quoting the toss[sic], you've been quoting the naming policy; and the wording of both isn't really ambiguous at all. A ship is clearly not an NPC.

Not ambiguous at all

ToS
Quote:
You may not impersonate or falsely present yourself to be a representative of another player, group of players, character or NPC entity.

Naming Policy
Quote:

By naming my Raven as a Raven Navy Issue I falsely present myself to be a representative of the "raven navy issue owner" group of players.

That's a different reasoning than stated by Jonah Gravenstein but doesn't fall as an absolute truth either as naming my Raven as a RNI doesn't preclude that I don't own an RNI, and thus, while deceiving you about the nature of that particular ship, doesn't mean I am not a navy raven owner.
Georgina Parmala
Caldari State
#978 - 2013-09-12 20:43:53 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Georgina Parmala wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

Not ambiguous at all

ToS
Quote:

Naming Policy
Quote:

That's a different reasoning than stated by Jonah Gravenstein but doesn't fall as an absolute truth either as naming my Raven as a RNI doesn't preclude that I don't own an RNI, and thus, while deceiving you about the nature of that particular ship, doesn't mean I am not a navy raven owner.

Hey look, more than one ambiguous reason why it may or may not be ok.

Now what happens when this raven gets ganked and the ganker reports it for not being a navy raven? After all a navy raven can reasonably be expected to be fitted with more expensive modules. Does the ganker get magically un-concorded?

Now lets look at a less ******** every day example.

What happens when I trade a ship I assembled to a fiend and he forgets to rename it? He's now flying around in a ship named after another player. He is, by the letter of the law, impersonating me. Furthermore, this likewise applies when I simply trade such a ship to one of my alts or pull it out of a Ship Maintenance Array.

Cierra Royce
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#979 - 2013-09-12 20:45:16 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Georgina Parmala wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

Not ambiguous at all

ToS
Quote:

Naming Policy
Quote:

But renaming a Vindicator 'Serpentis Admiral', in order to befuddle the weak minded or gain just a split seconds advantage due to confusion would be clearly covered by the new wording. The problem is the new wording severely limits deception and deceptive practices when used to gain an advantage, in other words everything great about eve.

Almost everything from the forum brags to the carefully constructed interceptor guides contain elements of deceit designed to sway or trick those unwilling to think for themselves, and now they are to be partly shielded from the consequences retroactively by virtue of petitions, no more fail, try again, fail better. No, now it will be fail, petition, ban the naughty space person that hurt you, get stuff back. Roll
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#980 - 2013-09-12 20:47:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Georgina Parmala wrote:

Hey look, more than one ambiguous reason why it may or may not be ok.

Now what happens when this raven gets ganked and the ganker reports it for not being a navy raven? After all a navy raven can reasonably be expected to be fitted with more expensive modules. Does the ganker get magically un-concorded?

Now lets look at a less ******** every day example.

What happens when I trade a ship I assembled to a fiend and he forgets to rename it? He's now flying around in a ship named after another player. He is, by the letter of the law, impersonating me. Furthermore, this likewise applies when I simply trade such a ship to one of my alts or pull it out of a Ship Maintenance Array.

Like I said, the ambiguity of it all is why I'm here, right with most of the rest of you. I just took issue with what I saw as a bit of a hyperbolic example that didn't hold with the reasoning initially presented. I wasn't saying that you couldn't run afoul a strict interpretation of the naming rules at all, only that as stated, naming a raven RNI didn't inherently do so.

Regarding your examples, the 1st is meaningless as it's not a wholesale ban on deception. The ship type is not in any of the categories stated that we can't misrepresent, overly broad as they are.

The 2nd is a legit concern, IMHO.