These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Eve without killmails.

Author
Lilliana Stelles
#1 - 2013-09-12 12:15:05 UTC
I've wondered for a while if killmails create an escalated sense of violence in the universe, and what the game would be like if it instead just recorded a number of "kills" and "losses", without the elegant record of exactly what was lost.

Would miner ganking still be a big deal if there was no provable way of showing what someone had on them?
Would people take screenshots of wrecks and post them?

I'm not sure if killmails have always been in Eve, or if they were added at a later date?

I'm just curious how big of a roll killmails play in encouraging people to kill each other, and how much of it is isk/pew motivated.

I certainly don't want to see them go away. It's a neat feature. But if they weren't there, would things be different?

Not a forum alt. 

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#2 - 2013-09-12 12:28:43 UTC
Killmails are not only useful for bragging and exposing stupid fits.
They also serve as intel (where you losing ships, what ships, how do you tank, do you kill solo/with small gang/ with blob, etc.).
Pointing newbies to relevant kills can be useful for them to understand why shinies != superiority, why dual tank is wrong, and also to show them that humble frig can take much bigger target if fitted and flown properly.

I'm sure that if CCP didn't provide us with their own implementation of killmails somebody would create out of game tool for that.
Just as we have fitting tools, fleet/doctrine tools, ISK/hr tools, wallet tools, etc.

Invalid signature format

Rellik B00n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-09-12 12:41:50 UTC
i have a nagging suspicion that Eve without killmails would be more fun.
[Of a request for change ask: Who Benefits?](https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=199765)
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#4 - 2013-09-12 12:45:12 UTC
The lack of KB would not deter me from PVP or the other way around. I PVP for PVP's sake, I enjoy tactical combat so it would not increase / diminish the amount of PVP I'd get involved in. To me KM's are more of a remember when kind of deal with some intel sprinkled on top. Not required to enjoy PVP but an enjoyable feature in it's own right.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-09-12 12:46:12 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Killmails are not only useful for bragging and exposing stupid fits.
They also serve as intel (where you losing ships, what ships, how do you tank, do you kill solo/with small gang/ with blob, etc.).
Pointing newbies to relevant kills can be useful for them to understand why shinies != superiority, why dual tank is wrong, and also to show them that humble frig can take much bigger target if fitted and flown properly.

I'm sure that if CCP didn't provide us with their own implementation of killmails somebody would create out of game tool for that.
Just as we have fitting tools, fleet/doctrine tools, ISK/hr tools, wallet tools, etc.

If there were no API hookups, you'd be **** out of luck to create a meanigfull KB. If you also remove the actual loss/killmail from the game, then your idea falls flat out on it's face. People would have to guess what the enemy was fitted with and we all know how well that would end.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-09-12 13:05:23 UTC
Loss mails are useful though ... it gives you the names of the people that blew you up, so you can plan/plot your revenge accordingly.

Apart from ego polishing, I don't think there's any real benefit to kill mails at all.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#7 - 2013-09-12 13:18:59 UTC
Why to we keep score in any game?
Why do we track statistics in the games and sports we enjoy?

When you can answer those questions you'll begin to understand why kill notifications are, and will continue to be, an integral part of EVE.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#8 - 2013-09-12 13:25:59 UTC
Well the main thing about killmails is the social aspect, it's about sharing the experiences with your mates. Someone links a cool mail, I want to hear the story behind it and just feel happy for them. Or envious for not being there :D

I would change one major thing about KMs- listing destroyed items and their value is stupid. Those items are blown to pieces, it just doesn't make sense that they are suddenly revealed to everybody at the moment of their doom.

This would bring some intelligence back to intel, and some much needed mystery.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-09-12 15:08:15 UTC
Roime wrote:

I would change one major thing about KMs- listing destroyed items and their value is stupid. Those items are blown to pieces, it just doesn't make sense that they are suddenly revealed to everybody at the moment of their doom.

This would bring some intelligence back to intel, and some much needed mystery.

supported

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-09-12 15:48:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
My fear is the OP's original post stems from the current fashionable liberal trend to make 'everyone a winner'.

You see it now in childrens little-league games, everyone gets a trophy, even the losers
Or you might see it in the fabulous public education system, where its now near-impossible for students to fail a grade, and illiterates graduate.
And on..and on...

In short...

Keeping score drives improvement in a competitive system, not keeping score drives stagnation. Not keeping score doesn't remove the competition, it just removes the measures by which people in the competitive system are pushed to improve (or strive to)...

EvE without killmails would be very bad, and the OP should feel very bad for posting a stealth remove KM's thread. If you don't want to be in a competitive game, go play WoW -- but don't kill the competitive game we love.
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#11 - 2013-09-12 16:12:03 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

When you can answer those questions you'll begin to understand why kill notifications are, and will continue to be, an integral part of EVE.

Because for some the fun only starts if they can stroke their egos?

Scores in games are for defining a winner of the game.

Here you can win a fight, but not the game.
Tron 3K
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-09-12 16:58:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Tron 3K
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
My fear is the OP's original post stems from the current fashionable liberal trend to make 'everyone a winner'.

You see it now in childrens little-league games, everyone gets a trophy, even the losers
Or you might see it in the fabulous public education system, where its now near-impossible for students to fail a grade, and illiterates graduate.
And on..and on...

In short...

Keeping score drives improvement in a competitive system, not keeping score drives stagnation. Not keeping score doesn't remove the competition, it just removes the measures by which people in the competitive system are pushed to improve (or strive to)...

EvE without killmails would be very bad, and the OP should feel very bad for posting a stealth remove KM's thread. If you don't want to be in a competitive game, go play WoW -- but don't kill the competitive game we love.

Really had to bring politics into it.. GTFO... Typical damn whiny conservative..
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#13 - 2013-09-12 17:00:36 UTC
embrel wrote:
Scores in games are for defining a winner of the game. Here you can win a fight, but not the game.

Eve is a game, football is a game
Fight in Eve = match in football.
You can't win Eve, you can't win football.
Scores in football make no sense except stroking egos of participants.

Invalid signature format

Tikitina
Doomheim
#14 - 2013-09-12 17:01:39 UTC
Killmails are a form of game supplied Intel that shouldn't exist in this game.

Eve would actually be far better without them.
Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-09-12 17:30:21 UTC

And on..and on...

In short...

EvE without killmails would be very bad . . . don't kill the competitive game we love.

I mostly agree with that, but I think you're making a fatal assumption: the game of EVE Online is a killmail contest. A miner could just as easily say EVE is a mining contest. A mission runner could just as easily say it is a bling contest. An alliance could just as easily say it is a sovereignty holding contest. A CEO could just as easily say it is a members-in-my-corp contest. There are lots of different metrics that we could use to support the argument that a given person or entity was "winning".

Even conceding that it is a killmail contest, there is still the question of "score". Does gang-killing a miner with 5 other people yield as many points as soloing a T3 in your Rifter? Does pwning a noob get us just as many points as fighting off and killing a prepared and battle-hardened veteran with our mining barge? It shouldn't.

Competitive games have very strict rulesets. There are team limits, handicaps, point-valuation systems, etc. All that is to make clear who the winner is, but even in systems like that, there isn't always a clear winner. Sometimes, it's a draw. Sometimes, we put an asterisk next to the "W" to indicate that the question of who won and who lost isn't the whole story in that game.

To declare that killing=victory in EVE might be just as misguided as those Call Of Duty players who run around on a Domination or Sabotage map whoring kills, as if THAT were the objective of the game.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#16 - 2013-09-12 17:47:32 UTC
embrel wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Because for some the fun only starts if they can stroke their egos?

Scores in games are for defining a winner of the game.

Here you can win a fight, but not the game.

It also good for making graphs.
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-09-12 18:13:41 UTC
Kill mails tell a story. You really want to remove that?
SpoonRECKLESS
Beach Boys
The Minions.
#18 - 2013-09-12 19:38:16 UTC
Killmails mean nothing. People do pvp for the rush the risk the crazy moments of luck and just dumb moves other make. I did pvp for the fun of it. Kill mails or not pvp will always be a part of eve to the day the server dies. I only seeing the server dieing due to mankind being wiped out by aliens.

Fear the stars for they seek to destroy us!!!

Blue

Gargep Farrow
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-09-12 19:55:57 UTC
Lilliana Stelles wrote:
. But if they weren't there, would things be different?

My guess is that the only difference would be that instead of seeing lots of links to killmails in the chats, you would start seeing links to posted screenshots of ships blowing up.
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-09-12 20:14:35 UTC
Tron 3K wrote:

And on..and on...

In short...

Really had to bring politics into it.. GTFO... Typical damn whiny conservative..

But little Johny is still special even if he did finish last in the race.
123Next pageLast page