These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why is probing wrecks a no-no topic?

Author
Script66
Solus Ventures
#1 - 2013-09-12 15:31:27 UTC
I personally would love to be a full time salvager. You can't really do this unless you either A) create the wrecks yourself, or B) stay in highly populated systems.

This should be easy now given all the probe changes. If the fear is stealing wrecks from mission runners, then why not just filter out all wrecks in complexes?

It would be nice to be able to roam around lowsec, drop some probes, find some abandoned mission wrecks or pvp wrecks and go loot/salvage.
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#2 - 2013-09-12 16:13:58 UTC
Ugh the white noise...

Maybe if you could only scan down wrecks as 1 signature per wreck group on a single grid.
This would be pretty nasty in wormholes though.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Script66
Solus Ventures
#3 - 2013-09-12 18:12:18 UTC
Arya Regnar wrote:
Ugh the white noise...

Maybe if you could only scan down wrecks as 1 signature per wreck group on a single grid.
This would be pretty nasty in wormholes though.

You have a point about WH space. I think as long as you could filter your results so people who dont care about wrecks dont see them as signatures? Also disable the ability in WH space?

I feel like we need a middle ground scanning. Not instant like a FW site, but not probe based either. Something your onboard computer has to take time to track down.
Gareth Burns
GeoCorp.
The Initiative.
#4 - 2013-09-12 18:29:26 UTC
I see advertisements all the time in Dresi for a corporation that works with mission runners and just salvages all of their missions for them.

Forget the name honestly but maybe something like that would be good for you, It's pretty much constant work and I think you keep like 40% of the profits as the salvager.

Noblesse Oblige ► Gareth Burns

HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#5 - 2013-09-12 19:01:17 UTC
I live in WH space and combat scan salvagers all the time: noctis and destroyers, no problem. Twisted
Script66
Solus Ventures
#6 - 2013-09-12 19:29:45 UTC
Gareth Burns wrote:
I see advertisements all the time in Dresi for a corporation that works with mission runners and just salvages all of their missions for them.

Forget the name honestly but maybe something like that would be good for you, It's pretty much constant work and I think you keep like 40% of the profits as the salvager.

Thats cool, but not exactly what I am going for really. Looking for more of a freelance, roam around semi dangerous parts of space with a non-combat objective.

Its sort of crazy how quickly play variety breaks down once you get outside of high sec. There really isn't a non-combat profession outside of high sec worth doing. Exploration is the closest thing, but you are kind of gank bait honestly. And nothing really comes close to having a good ship and just farming npc plexes when you factor in risk/reward. 0.0 mining with an alliance might be the exception.

Really the game suffers from not having 'dangerous' non combat professions worth doing. Like low/null sec trading, this kind of salvaging would be a good example. Maybe even make low sec mining not be such a moronic thing to do.
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#7 - 2013-09-12 19:39:36 UTC  |  Edited by: HTC NecoSino
Enter a system, scan it's signatures and BM all combat anoms. Log off or return in 1 hr. If those signatures/anoms are gone, warp to your BM and there will most likely be wrecks to salvage.

Repeat for 10-15 systems, and you might have an isk-maker. Smile
Ristlin Wakefield
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2013-09-12 19:44:02 UTC
I recall as if it was yesterday, the one time I longed for the ability to scan a wreck. It was shortly after I lost a ship with precious cargo, but it was in a site that despawned after I warped off mindlessly (forgetting to bookmark the wreck in the process). I just looked longingly at my directional scanner with my wreck listed there, taunting me. I drifted in space, waiting -- nay, hoping! -- for my combat probes to gain the ability to recognize the signature of a wreck. But it was no use.

I have a lover, her name is EVE. I see her every night and all she asks in return is that I have a pilot's license.

Yolo
Unknown Nation
#9 - 2013-09-20 19:28:07 UTC
They could change mission locations so they remain for as long as something still is there, eg wrecks or ships (not npc ships).
Then you could probe the location, not the wrecks. Would also be possible to mine a good location while the mission runner moves on to the next mission.

- since 2003, bitches

Michael Loney
Skullspace Industries
#10 - 2013-09-20 20:36:16 UTC
I have a Noctis, I love it for cleaning up missions with lots of spread out wrecks.

Even if I could scan down a mission site full of salvage it would not help me as I still cannot tractor in other peoples stuff.

I would be better in a cap stable MWD frigate and just zip around one by one vs 4x tractor and 4x salvager on the dedicated salvaging ship.

+1 for bring salvage up to a mini-profression