These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Making DUST 514 matter to Eve : An answer to supercapitals

Author
Kyeudo Van'mynai
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-09-11 21:51:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyeudo Van'mynai
Let's face it: right now, most players in Eve don't notice that DUST 514 exists. There's no money coming out of it and only the FW players see any benefit from how things are going for the DUST players. If DUST flatlines, Eve won't miss a beat.

I like the idea of DUST and Eve interacting, though. I think Eve can eventually get a lot more depth from the addition of DUST content. Growing the two games together, though, will take time and I think it will take longer if we can't get Eve players to see DUST players as an asset. We need something to make those ground-sloggers matter to internet spaceships now.

My proposal? Boarding craft.

You add a new weapon to Eve, probably fitting in with cruiser weapons in terms of power grid and CPU requirements, maybe make it a weapon that can only be fit on specific ships like the warp disruption probe launcher. I'm going to call it a boarding breacher - someone else can probably come up with a better name. The shells this weapon fires, however, don't do much direct damage. Instead, hitting a ship with this weapon will spawn a PvP match in DUST with the ship itself as a battleground.

Now, I haven't played DUST myself, so I'm not sure how different from a normal match this will be, but this match won't feature any respawning without the affected ship getting hit by a boarding breacher again. The attacking team has the goal of disabling and destroying the ship from within, the defending team is out to stop them, and the match could end abruptly if the ship they are fighting in is blown up normally. Objectives in the match would be various control stations/power systems for modules, warp drive, engines, etc.

Why did I put "An answer to supercapitals" in the title? Because currently supercapitals are nigh-unkillable by anything less than a major fleet. They have little to fear from small groups of any ship, even capital ships. But if a single cruiser getting off a single shot could result in one of them getting completely crippled, well, suddenly Eve is a much scarier place for supercapital pilots.

Now, there's a few points of balance to address and some practical concerns.

First, the weapon itself. Boarding breachers should only be effective weapons against large ships - battleships at the smallest. Eve's already got some good mechanics in place to make this easy enough - it's mostly a matter of setting the tracking speed and scan resolution such that hitting a moving battlecruiser from long range with one of these is hard. This keeps DUST 514 from being overloaded by people using boarding breachers to frigate snipe, keeps DUST 514 from running lots of matches in a frigate the size of a closet, and cements its use as a weapon against capital and supercapital ships. The weapon would only be fired when a squad of DUST mercenaries are ready for drop or are currently engaged on a targeted ship.
Kyeudo Van'mynai
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-09-11 21:51:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyeudo Van'mynai
Second, the boarding action. Adding this sort of content would seem to require adding a large number of maps to DUST 514 for all of the ship types that it would be possible to deploy them against. This is not practical from a development standpoint, especially with so much work still needed on the core game. Luckily, ships in Eve are stupid large as a general rule, allowing it to be abstracted down to as few as four "ship" maps as a starting point - one map for each racial type. Yes, this may mean that the DUST mercs end up fighting in a map that is larger than they are on or drastically smaller, but this is just the initial state. If this proves successful, it can be expanded. These maps would need to feature objectives, ideally each tied to various modules on the ship they are fighting over. Blow up the control station for a Megathron's railgun and it's down a gun until a DUST logistics suit patches the terminal. Manage to crack the reactor and its capacitor recharge rate drops. Offline the shield recharge or the engines. The nasty things a guy on the inside could do to a ship are endless. Which options are available would need balance testing. Only one boarding action per ship could be carried out at a time.

Third, defending against the boarding breacher. The most basic defense would actually be a ship's cargo hold. Mercenaries are already a livestock type in game. With the boarding breacher in play, these would become like charges or ammo, expended as defending mercs are killed and used to reload the boarding breacher (or maybe just to manufacture boarding breacher shells). Run out of mercs? A friendly can shoot your ship with a boarding breacher to inject some fresh respawns for your defending team. Some modules and items would also assist in the defense of the ship, such as a Clone Vat Bay providing a slow stream of free defensive respawns as long as it was online, nanite repair paste fixing damage to modules, and even new modules such as interior defense turrets (mostly seen on caps and supercaps). Some in the thread below have suggested giving every ship some automated defenses as a default, which sounds like a good way to adjust the difficulty to take down various ships.

Fourth, communication between worlds. This is the real challenge of it all, but should be manageable. Eve would need to pass only a few parameters to DUST - relevant ship modules at the start of a match, number of available clone mercenaries in the hold, the times when boarding breacher shots land, and when nanite repair paste is used to repair a damage module. Dust would need to pass back times when modules are damaged. Time Dilation is the real challenge here, as it is something that Eve has to deal with that DUST does not. In a large battle like 6VDT, whole DUST matches could take place between one firing of guns and another. One way to handle this is to have significant events in the DUST match recorded, then have them applied to the affected ship as the equivalent time passes in Eve. This can lead to some temporal paradoxes ("He blew up before the DUST mercs took out his warp drives, but they still fought that battle!") and would make things somewhat harder for the attacking side (the real time between boarding breacher shots and thus attacker respawns getting added is extended by TiDi), but is generally better than having a Titan go from having all modules available to having no modules available in the elapsed time of a few minutes.

Fifth, who's responsible for attacking/defending? The basic backing behind this would be an automated matchmaking queue, pitting evenly matched squads against each other, so that the defense of a ship would always be in the hands of human players. However, both attackers and defenders can contract DUST mercs to be on standby for boarding actions. You could hand pick your defenders, browse a market of those available, or whatever. Major blocks would probably end up cultivating their own DUST-side divisions just to have quality defenders on hand to defend their supercapital resources.

TL;DR version: Dust mercenaries crippling capitals from the inside.

Thoughts?
Luc Chastot
#3 - 2013-09-11 22:05:42 UTC
This has already been proposed several times. It would suck to get one's ship blown up without the chance to actively defend oneself.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#4 - 2013-09-11 22:08:39 UTC
As long as dust is not on the same platform it shouldn't dictate anything for eve online that actually makes a big impact.

Even then there should be systems eve players can use to defend themselves.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#5 - 2013-09-11 22:08:41 UTC
Just no. Its completely out of the Supercaps pilots hands whether he lives or dies. Apart from avoiding the engagement completely theres no way to counter it. Theres already enough reasons for Supercaps to rarely see the light of day we dont need more.
Morgan North
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#6 - 2013-09-11 22:09:19 UTC
Here's an idea:

Warping out ends the match. DUST Clones get disconnected as the warp activates inside the ship. A timer is added that can be adjusted to the match when the ship starts to align. As end of alignment and warp drive active, dust server kills the match.

Kyeudo Van'mynai
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-09-11 22:22:35 UTC
Luc Chastot wrote:
This has already been proposed several times. It would suck to get one's ship blown up without the chance to actively defend oneself.

1. You are being actively defended by someone else.
2. The match is not fair. You as the defender can seriously bias the odds in your favor by packing a nice stack of clone mercenaries.
3. "Instakill" ship objectives will of course be the hardest objectives to achieve, probably just by making them take the longest to capture or damage to meaningful levels.

Arya Regnar wrote:
As long as dust is not on the same platform it shouldn't dictate anything for eve online that actually makes a big impact.

I fail to see what the platform difference has to do with anything.

Icarus Able wrote:
Just no. Its completely out of the Supercaps pilots hands whether he lives or dies. Apart from avoiding the engagement completely theres no way to counter it. Theres already enough reasons for Supercaps to rarely see the light of day we dont need more.

The major reason supercaps don't see the light of day is they have gotten nerfed into a few specific roles that are only useful for engagements of large ships, they are super-expensive, and they can't dock. However, within their specific role, they are gods, almost unkillable. We see maybe two or three supercaps killed a month. In that time, another dozen probably finish building.

If my idea was implemented, I would expect that supercaps and caps would become cheaper and less time consuming to build and that Supercaps would be allowed to dock. If a ship is only going to be useful at specific times, it shouldn't trap the pilot forever.

Also, I wouldn't put it completely out of the supercap player's hands. He'd be allowed to contract a group of DUST mercs to be on standby as a defense team instead of being a victim of the match queue.

Morgan North wrote:
Here's an idea:

Warping out ends the match. DUST Clones get disconnected as the warp activates inside the ship. A timer is added that can be adjusted to the match when the ship starts to align. As end of alignment and warp drive active, dust server kills the match.

I like the addition. Taking down the warp drives would have to be an option for the DUST mercs though.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2013-09-11 22:29:09 UTC
Explain to me exactly why it should be possible for me to lose my ship with absolutely no way, at all, for me to defend myself.
Kyeudo Van'mynai
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-09-11 22:34:04 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Explain to me exactly why it should be possible for me to lose my ship with absolutely no way, at all, for me to defend myself.

Because that's the way Eve is?

If you jump into a gate camp unprepared, you die. A supercap ignores the small ships, he suddenly finds himself with his guns offline.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2013-09-11 22:37:11 UTC
Kyeudo Van'mynai wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

Because that's the way Eve is?

If you jump into a gate camp unprepared, you die. A supercap ignores the small ships, he suddenly finds himself with his guns offline.

But if you use a scout, or perches, or dotlan, or any number of other precautions, the camp doesn't get you. With your idea, no matter what the super pilot does, they die. Titans and supercarriers can't hit cruisers.

I AM a cap pilot. My dread cannot hit cruisers reliably. My carrier can, IF I have the right drones out. In a large fight, there is no way for me to protect myself against these things. There is absolutely no precaution that I can take to preserve my ships, nothing I can do to defend myself. That is NOT the way EVE is, it never has been.
supernova ranger
The End of Eternity
#11 - 2013-09-11 22:47:05 UTC
What about an internal defense system that draws power from your capacitor when active. All ships would have it, right click capacitor and select internal defense system > 10%, 20%, 30% power exc.

100% power -> invaders don't stand a chance, drones have massive health accuracy and firepower and are way OP for the invaders to do anything but respawn

50% power -> reactor is still heavily defended but things like targeting, sensor strength, reload time, speed can be reduced with some effort

0% power -> vulnerable to everything, your ship will die is an invader so much as pisses in your ship

Kyeudo Van'mynai
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-09-11 22:47:54 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:

But if you use a scout, or perches, or dotlan, or any number of other precautions, the camp doesn't get you.

Right, you use the right tools, you survive.

Quote:

With your idea, no matter what the super pilot does, they die. Titans and supercarriers can't hit cruisers.

Which is exactly the point. Supercaps should have to fear going out alone. They shouldn't be impossible to kill in fleet actions.

Also, it's not a one shot kill. It's "Your survival depends on which guys are defending you in DUST, who have a (probably large) advantage over their attackers".

Quote:

I AM a cap pilot. My dread cannot hit cruisers reliably. My carrier can, IF I have the right drones out. In a large fight, there is no way for me to protect myself against these things. There is absolutely no precaution that I can take to preserve my ships, nothing I can do to defend myself. That is NOT the way EVE is, it never has been.

In a fleet action, who is responsible for dealing with the cruisers? You just said it wasn't you, so I must assume that other people were there to keep the hictors and dictors off you. How is trusting your fleet to keep you from being tackled and focused into oblivion different from trusting a bunch of DUST mercs to keep your guns from being sabotaged?
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2013-09-11 23:01:12 UTC
Supercaps ALREADY fear going out alone. A solo super is a dead super. Hell, no-one really even thinks about dropping the things if they don't KNOW they're going to face no real opposition.

Who's to say I don't wind up with a bunch of my opponent's alts 'defending' me in DUST? Or a pack of random 14 year olds, against an organised clan?

Trusting my fleet, my corp, my aliance, my coalition, people I have flown with before, people I know can be relied on, knowing the support fleet is under the command of a known, experienced FC, these are all different things when compared with trusting in a bunch of console FPS players I have never communicated with in any way, shape or form.

Flying a cap with an experianced FC, a decent support fleet, exit cynos, smartbombs, neuts, small drones for a carrier, ECM bursts if you're in a super, these are all ways to defend yourself against tackle and dictors. How do you defend yourself against cruisers that only need to shoot you once to kill you? Especially given how much faster they can lock you than the other way around?
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#14 - 2013-09-11 23:03:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
problem is the usual suspects of the super super fleets tend to be multigame gaming crews as well. Goons and PL are more than eve crews, they are big in other games and genre's as well..

You go against them, they post up on their generic forums for assistance (somethingawful for example) and if your crew does not have a strong console user base to counter you are relying on NPC AI to save you. Watch various clips of zero punctuation to see the humorous and scathing reviews by Yahtzee on NPC AI in games he reviews.

You might counter as other have said hire human mercs. Adds cost to the ownership and no crew with a brain would hire them anyway. they are already wondering who in their crew is looking to be the next bandwidth for setting up a trap. They don't pay for this service, its free of charge. I know if I had a super I am not going to pay 100 mil isk to hire human mercs who can turn around and not defend my super at all or even aid the boarders in fact.

Dust 514 most players don't know exist because its a bland, meh fps. It was released too rough to low critical review. And they did not release to PC. Its been smoothed out over patching I hear but summer is over and its almost tme to start the x-mas planning. Other fps devs have fought EA for a spot in Santa's sleigh and failed.

To also help fix this they hired an internet eve "celebrity". The person they hired only really known to eve players and maybe DOTA ones. Read above about no pc release....I barely have the time to play eve on my computer, couple hundred dollars for a console just not a wise buy to play eve from a fps perspective. The decision to cut off pc is biting them in the ass on this basically.
Kyeudo Van'mynai
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-09-12 00:41:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyeudo Van'mynai
Danika Princip wrote:
Supercaps ALREADY fear going out alone. A solo super is a dead super. Hell, no-one really even thinks about dropping the things if they don't KNOW they're going to face no real opposition.

Most of that is because a super that goes out alone gets a whole fleet dropped on it, not because the super is really vulnerable to subcaps. Everyone loves to be in on a supercap kill right now because they are worth billions, also the reason why alliances keep them in reserve. If whole fleets didn't descend on solo supers because they were cheaper and easier to replace, would the current supers fear anything?

Quote:

Who's to say I don't wind up with a bunch of my opponent's alts 'defending' me in DUST? Or a pack of random 14 year olds, against an organised clan?

You. Allowing defense contracts between Eve and DUST would be trivial after all the other technical hurdles. You hire the DUST-side equivalent of your corp or maybe some MLG pros if you can afford them. You only default to the queue if you forget or decide to risk it.

Quote:

these are all different things when compared with trusting in a bunch of console FPS players I have never communicated with in any way, shape or form.

Maybe you should talk to them sometime. DUST mercenaries are in Eve channels, after all.

Quote:

How do you defend yourself against cruisers that only need to shoot you once to kill you?

You wouldn't be able to. Good thing that's not what we're discussing here.

They shoot you once, you have ~10 DUST mercs with no spare clones running around in your ship, opposed by the ~10 DUST mercs who have as many spare clones as you stuffed into your hold. If they don't shoot you some more to give the invaders some spare clones, fight should be done and over with in less than three minutes, if my experiences from Halo are anything to go by, with the defenders winning with only a handful of deaths.
Kyeudo Van'mynai
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-09-12 00:47:02 UTC
Zan Shiro wrote:
problem is the usual suspects of the super super fleets tend to be multigame gaming crews as well. Goons and PL are more than eve crews, they are big in other games and genre's as well..

You go against them, they post up on their generic forums for assistance (somethingawful for example) and if your crew does not have a strong console user base to counter you are relying on NPC AI to save you. Watch various clips of zero punctuation to see the humorous and scathing reviews by Yahtzee on NPC AI in games he reviews.

Actually, you'd be relying on a matchmaking queue. You'd get real people, reasonably matched against their opposition if the algorithm is any good. Those real people would have an initial defenders advantage.

Quote:

You might counter as other have said hire human mercs. Adds cost to the ownership and no crew with a brain would hire them anyway. they are already wondering who in their crew is looking to be the next bandwidth for setting up a trap. They don't pay for this service, its free of charge. I know if I had a super I am not going to pay 100 mil isk to hire human mercs who can turn around and not defend my super at all or even aid the boarders in fact.

FPS players are bit different than EVE players, especially since there is nothing in it for them to AWOX.

Also, if you have a super, I doubt you paid for it yourself, so you have alliance support. If you did buy it yourself, you are space rich and you should stop whining.

Quote:

Dust 514 most players don't know exist because its a bland, meh fps. It was released too rough to low critical review. And they did not release to PC. Its been smoothed out over patching I hear but summer is over and its almost tme to start the x-mas planning. Other fps devs have fought EA for a spot in Santa's sleigh and failed.

To also help fix this they hired an internet eve "celebrity". The person they hired only really known to eve players and maybe DOTA ones. Read above about no pc release....I barely have the time to play eve on my computer, couple hundred dollars for a console just not a wise buy to play eve from a fps perspective. The decision to cut off pc is biting them in the ass on this basically.

Right now, I agree with most of your points on the marketing strategy. DUST 514 doesn't have much to set it apart from other FPS, mostly because it hasn't been properly linked into EVE's universe yet. This is a step to change it.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#17 - 2013-09-12 02:28:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
Kyeudo Van'mynai wrote:
FPS players are bit different than EVE players, especially since there is nothing in it for them to AWOX.

Also, if you have a super, I doubt you paid for it yourself, so you have alliance support. If you did buy it yourself, you are space rich and you should stop whining.

funny....ccp thought the same thing about cost limiting this for personal buys. People have privately owned titans now...some are real good at isk making. CCP didn't make this hard.....dust was supposed to control PI. Its not working out too well.

Its not a matter of the cost, its the matter of training times. Dust players won't put nearly the amount of time into flying a super well. While I am for supers dying....it should not be because of console zerg rush. Even a passable cap train going right now has me going this sucks. That mommie pilot gets some respect from me. BL with snuff box assist....that is more in line with what I have in mind for how mommies should go out. Not a console zerg rush by players justt passing time waiting for the new COD to come out.

It be like if ccp said here you all go.....

the new super killer mod

does the damage of 2 dreads in siege
only fits on frigates

this obviously is a game breaking. 50 rfiters wiping out supers in a flash. 50 somethingawful console junkies running around the inside of a ship be along these lines to me.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#18 - 2013-09-12 02:54:47 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
So my only defense against DUST boarding parties (who probably planned this and are coordinated) are a bunch of random FPS players who have no stake (beyond ISK) in the survival of a ship I spent billions of hard earned ISK on?

Defense having an advantage or not... I might as well jettison all my equipment and self-destruct my ship. Hedging the survival of major assets like that on what is tantamount to a coin-toss is bad gameplay.
Kyeudo Van'mynai
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-09-12 14:54:04 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
So my only defense against DUST boarding parties (who probably planned this and are coordinated) are a bunch of random FPS players who have no stake (beyond ISK) in the survival of a ship I spent billions of hard earned ISK on?

Defense having an advantage or not... I might as well jettison all my equipment and self-destruct my ship. Hedging the survival of major assets like that on what is tantamount to a coin-toss is bad gameplay.

You'd have just as much option as your opponents to get a coordinated DUST defense team, so the people responsible for defending your ship are usually not going to be random.

As for having a stake in saving your ship, what stake does your fleetmates have in the survival of your ship? Your alliance wants you to survive so they can use you in the next battle?

Besides which, even if the FPS match is not going well for your defenders, you'll be losing individual modules first, not wholesale explosions. Keeping that match going for the offensive side will take a coordinated fleet action, which you and your fleetmates will be doing everything they can to disrupt. This is not going to be a fire and forget weapon.
Sam Alkawe
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-09-12 15:28:41 UTC
I think that instead of thinking that a group of mercenaries can destroy a ship, more interesting would be damaging certain attributes (how about messing with sensors? slowing that armor rep cycle?) or even offlining (and that's it, no magic *LETS BLOW THIS CAP*). The limitations to the attack team to 10 clones per breacher seem pretty fair to me, considering a super cap pilot should be able to have 150 clones at minimum to defend against any attack.

Of course, then you would have a bunch of disposable cruisers just fire to the super caps trying to land as many as possible in order to even out the odds. OTOH other ships need to also be able to destroy some of the breachers to help out a friendly carrier (mercs already alive wouldn't die, but they'd lose respawn clones).

So you get DUST mercs belonging to alliance A face in an uphill battle against DUST mercs from alliance B while a battle is raging outside in EVE. If you don't happen to be in an alliace, maybe hire DUST mercenaries from important Merc outfits with players that you KNOW will play well (unless paid not to -- and there probably needs to be a mechanism to counter this).

Now, the stake on ensuring your ship survives would be: that they belong to your alliance so they have an interest in you surviving, or the iskies you would pay IF and only IF they win (barring, of course, they got paid to not win).

I admit, however, that this kind of gameplay probably needs more thought to ensure that it eve players have a real chance of defending themselves and/or not feeling that they are unable to do anything.
12Next page