These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Class 7 & 8 Wormholes

Author
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#1 - 2013-09-11 16:55:48 UTC
About time to stir up some more sleepers, eh? This time, lets bring the fight to their (former) outposts!

The C7 and C8 wormhole systems would feature "Sleeper Assembly Hubs" (or something similar) that were built onto the surface of a moon. These hubs continue to produce sleeper ships, despite their former owners having long-since died, teleported, transcended or whatever.

The C7 and C8 wormhole systems would offer enhanced sites (anoms, data and relic sites) similar to C5/6 systems but with the addition of sleeper capital ships produced at the "Sleeper Assembly Hubs."

In addition, every 36-72 hours (random), the "Sleeper Assembly Hubs" detects the presence of any foreign POS and sends an attack wave to neutralize it. This would comprise of 2 sleeper carriers, 1 sleeper dread, 4-8 BS, and an assortment of cruisers and frigates. That would be 1 wave to 1 POS, not 1 wave to EACH POS.

The result? Small WH corps that try to move in would have their towers reinforced and/or destroyed if they go innactive. Large corps get to enjoy POS defense, MUCH more difficult sites, and the constant worrying of sleeper attacks. We could have sleepers warp randomly to grav and ladar sites as well, after being sent from the "Sleeper Assembly Hubs" , even wormholes, too.

Imagine that, coming home and finding 4 sleepers sitting on the wormhole!

Statics could be anything from a C3-C8, or C5-C8.

It's good for players because it adds a completely new side of WH-life that is already kinda present in LS/null (rats warping around a system and attacking miners).

It's good for CCP because it would increase player losses and be a good source of an isk-sink, countering the isk-faucet of the sleeper sites.
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#2 - 2013-09-11 16:58:57 UTC
A follow-up idea for the sites. In the anoms/data/relic sites, the sleeper capital would need to spawn in the last wave of the site. This would result in the players being forced to clear a site 100% in order to get the lucrative capital ship loot, thus letting the site despawn.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#3 - 2013-09-11 18:07:01 UTC
So I can set up a deathstar and once a day, just pull my noctis beyond the forcefield and start salvaging.... I like.
Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#4 - 2013-09-11 18:10:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Icarus Able
One problem. Null is class 7 low=8 high=9 Or the other way round.

But yeh your ideas have mostly been brought up before and sound good. WHat happens though if the sleepers spawn and kill your pos before you come online though...That sounds pretty harsh.
Doc Hollidai
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#5 - 2013-09-11 18:15:40 UTC
Icarus Able wrote:
WHat happens though if the sleepers spawn and kill your pos before you come online though...That sounds pretty harsh.

Same thing that happens if players spawn and kill your pos before you come online.
Jezza McWaffle
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#6 - 2013-09-11 18:23:59 UTC
My issues with this is do we really need 8 classes of wormholes?
Also would it not be very irritating if every few days you had a POS bash going on. How quickly does the sleepers put the POS into reinforced, since not every group has fleets 24/7.

Wormholes worst badass | Checkout my Wormhole blog

HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#7 - 2013-09-11 18:27:05 UTC  |  Edited by: HTC NecoSino
Icarus Able wrote:
One problem. Null is class 7 low=8 high=9 Or the other way round.

Then they program them as class 11, 12, etc and the players still call them C7, C8, etc.

Icarus Able wrote:
But yeh your ideas have mostly been brought up before and sound good. WHat happens though if the sleepers spawn and kill your pos before you come online though...That sounds pretty harsh.

That's kind of the idea. Risk == Reward. If your POS is set up well, you can probably drive them off if you have a couple POS gunners (as you should).

An afterthought, C7 = 1x "Sleeper Assembly Hubs"
C8 = 3x "Sleeper Assembly Hubs"

So 1 tower in a C8 could get attacked by up to 3 hubs Shocked
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#8 - 2013-09-11 18:44:16 UTC
Jezza McWaffle wrote:
My issues with this is do we really need 8 classes of wormholes?
Also would it not be very irritating if every few days you had a POS bash going on. How quickly does the sleepers put the POS into reinforced, since not every group has fleets 24/7.

Jezza, think of the isk! We live like kings off a C5, just imagine.... Capital fights every day.

POS bashing takes a while. Larger corps have ways of getting people to come fight, pop the sleepers, and get like 2b in loot/salvage for nothing more than manning POS guns for 30 minutes.

If a corp can't even do that, well, they won't exist in a C7/8 very long.

And yes, we need more wormholes. Anything to draw more people in Twisted
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#9 - 2013-09-11 19:01:45 UTC
HTC NecoSino wrote:

Jezza, think of the isk! We live like kings off a C5, just imagine.... Capital fights every day.
Twisted

That's why it's bad.

More isk per hour is not how you present new ideas.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#10 - 2013-09-11 19:04:24 UTC
Arya Regnar wrote:
HTC NecoSino wrote:

Twisted

That's why it's bad.

More isk per hour, more risk, more content, and more lore (getting closer to the former sleeper home system(s)).
Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#11 - 2013-09-11 19:12:29 UTC
HTC NecoSino wrote:
Arya Regnar wrote:
HTC NecoSino wrote:

Twisted

That's why it's bad.

More isk per hour, more risk, more content, and more lore (getting closer to the former sleeper home system(s)).

We already know quite a lot about the sleepers.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#12 - 2013-09-11 19:18:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Zappity
Because there's not enough isk in wormholes already? Hmm...

Sleepers attacking POS is good but being able to hack offline POS would be better.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#13 - 2013-09-11 20:39:28 UTC
Icarus Able wrote:
We already know quite a lot about the sleepers.

We really don't, though. From what I gathered via CCP posts, blogs and books..

• The first wormhole was the great rift which allowed humanity to move into New Eden.
  • There were no other wormholes until a cataclysmic event caused a planet to explode. Suddenly, there were wormholes.
  • The Jovians had some sort of knowledge of the sleepers before this event.
  • The sleepers are considered "advanced." However, over 8000 years passed between the Eve gate collapsing and the New Eden that we know today. These "dark ages" resulted in colonies falling back into medieval ages technologically, and forgetting much of what was brought from Earth. Who knows for sure where the sleepers came from, or what happened during that 8000 years.
  • Nobody knows what happened to the sleepers' owners, but some lore suggested a biochemical weapon they were developing failed and killed them all.
  • The Sansha nation was able to make use of wormholes quickly, and almost immediately began using them to travel the universe. (Yet we never see Sansha ships in wormhole space, hmm...)

I think there's a lot of room to expand on the sleeper lore, as well as drawing in new connections and even more content.
Jezza McWaffle
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#14 - 2013-09-12 05:02:16 UTC
Youve convinced me with the more ISK and more fights :P

Rather than loosing Thema's to POS's I can use it to save POS's!

Wormholes worst badass | Checkout my Wormhole blog

Vizvig
Savage Blizzard
#15 - 2013-09-12 05:49:24 UTC
Play eve when you older than 50 is bad idea Blink
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#16 - 2013-09-12 10:45:40 UTC
Vizvig wrote:
Play eve when you older than 50 is bad idea Blink

I'm in my mid-twenties actually.
Dring Dingle
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2013-09-12 11:54:57 UTC
I'm glad someone else wants moarrr sleeper content!

I've long thought sleepers need a bit of a re vamp. Tho I always thought it would be better to have the "sleeper home systems" without moons.... So you cannot move in.

Give them normal / a VARIETY OF SITES from c1 - c6 (or alternatively have different class sleeper homes....)

But what's new?

ACCELERATION GATE KEYS FOUND ONLY IN normal WORMHOLE RELIC AND DATA SITES.
.... Yessssss.....

Give wormholer's a TREASURE HUNT/real exploration... Keys would unlock accel gates, and I dunno... Have some hackable cans after the sleepers are dead and give SOME DECENT LOOT - actually.... Awesome loot. Like in FSP's

Scenario..... "Got a sleeper haven key today, think they spawn in the sleeper c3's" ... "oh okey we haven't got a connection to one yet.".. Few days later... "Fred !! Where's your key!! We got a connection.! Lets ride. " - end of scenario :P

- nulli sites can drop tower bp's.... ffs you don't even have to shoot rats in them!.

- off the top of my head.... I do like your idea... But it doesn't add content to the lower class holes

That is all :)
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#18 - 2013-09-12 12:23:18 UTC
One of the biggest perks of WH space is the small-gang pvp. We especially love day-trippers. Requiring keys to access WH anoms would reduce the number of day-trippers, thus reducing content. I can't support that idea.

The higher-class wormholes come with higher risks and need better sites to compensate for the increased risk (and inevitable increased losses). Having a high-class wormhole which can spawn C1 sites would be laughable and makes me wonder if you have even ran sites in WH space. (Your killboard says Null).

My train of thought was C5/6 with bigger sleeper ships, C7/8 with actual outposts built onto moons that cannot be destroyed. C9/10 with a "Sleeper planet" where the sleepers have taken over the surface of a planet and to look at it, all you see are sleeper structures. Attack waves would be so frequent in these systems that it would be very, very hard to keep towers there without having a few people online 24/7. These systems would be for only the largest, most hard-core WH alliances.

These sleeper-present systems would also sometimes drop notes or books in the capital ship wrecks. Logs maybe, or letters that the sleeper ships had recovered from their former owners' ships/corpses which shed more light on what happened to them.
Malception
StratsCo
Pretenders
#19 - 2013-09-12 14:22:51 UTC
Before we go adding new classes of wormholes I'd like to see current deficiencies corrected. For instance, class 4 systems don't get roaming wormholes and I think they should. Black Hole system effects need to fit in with the rest of the system effects where they give buffs to certain elements that can be useful rather than having a random collection of system effects that no one can use.

Once those are done I'd like to see some more development of the Sleeper backstory and possibly the involvement of the Jovians. Ultimately, I am of the opinion that wormholers, living in the riskiest environment in the frontier of unknown space, should reap the greatest rewards and have the opportunity to access the newest content.
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#20 - 2013-09-12 19:50:05 UTC
Malception wrote:
Before we go adding new classes of wormholes I'd like to see current deficiencies corrected. For instance, class 4 systems don't get roaming wormholes and I think they should. Black Hole system effects need to fit in with the rest of the system effects where they give buffs to certain elements that can be useful rather than having a random collection of system effects that no one can use.

Once those are done I'd like to see some more development of the Sleeper backstory and possibly the involvement of the Jovians. Ultimately, I am of the opinion that wormholers, living in the riskiest environment in the frontier of unknown space, should reap the greatest rewards and have the opportunity to access the newest content.

C4s get roaming WHs all the time. I've found they tend to get roaming outbound WHs to C3s or other C4s.

Black holes have their benefit. IE: My tengu going 600m/s while webbed? that certainly helps tank the sleeper BSs.

We definitely need more lore and more development on the sleepers. CCP wants to increase the "mystery" of wormhole space, this is a great conduit through which to do it.
12Next page