These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

GM clarification on rewording of the Terms of Service

First post First post First post
Author
Caytii
Accelerated Cognition
#361 - 2013-09-11 17:15:02 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
"you insufficiently proved you were an alt of yourself and you are now banned. as you are a bad, TOS breaking person, we banned all of your accounts including your main that you were impersonating"

I know it's stupid but thats the only way I can see to be safe in doing buisness. Their policies it to not hunt down people and this is not said to have changed so as long as you are not reported, you will be ok. If you get reported, then having proved who you were will be important.

And how is this supposed to be done if we go with CCP's example of both characters being on the same account?

If a goon scammer claims to be The Mittani's alt then the real Mittani will generally be happy to confirm that claim via evemail (and gets a cut of the scam's proceeds in return).
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#362 - 2013-09-11 17:15:04 UTC
Seras VictoriaX wrote:
Yeah, I tend to agree. Can we get someone more senior in CCP to chime in here? This has descended into bizzaro land at this point.

Agreed. Paging CCP Saul Goodman.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#363 - 2013-09-11 17:15:18 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
I think they've clarified that you scammers, yes you badguy scammers, are screwed.

Yes, how dare Eve have Scammers. And how dare Eve open up morale options in a sandbox game. And how dare there be penalties for being naive, lazy, or ignorant. And how dare I look good because of the morale choices available to me, those should be banned too.

And let's ban options now as well.

Holy cow, you put a 100MN AB on your Tengu, that was never intended, therefore we're going to ban that too, cuz it misrepresents the Tengu's abilities.

You put Lazors on your Rifter? How dare you! You are banned also for misrepresenting the Minmatar race.

Role-playing an escaped Minmatar slave? How dare you represent a slave when you are an aging, bald white American who lives with his parents! Ban for you as well!

He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander

Zagdul
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#364 - 2013-09-11 17:16:05 UTC
Soon, we'll be able to petition when someone steals our guild bank to have it refunded and get them banned.

Dirty scammers. Ban them all!

Dual Pane idea: Click!

CCP Please Implement

greiton starfire
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#365 - 2013-09-11 17:16:24 UTC
I don't care what the GM's say. impersonation and lying have been the cornerstone of all the major player driven content in the last 2 years i've been playing. im not even talking about just the big nulsec stuff. when i was a highsec pubbie fighting in 15-20 man wars, misrepresentation and impersonation played a part on all sides of the fights. I know It wasn't against the rules because we petitioned at least one nasty case and were told so by the gm's.

This is a sweeping change with many unforeseen consequences as everybody continues to tell you. If you intend to follow the letter of the law the majority of scams, spying, and even many honest practices can be found in violation of the rule. if you do not follow the rules to the letter why the f*** even write them or clarify them like this. calling it a grey area and refusing to draw the line opens you up to problems of favoritism by gm's, players being upset by unequal punishment for the same crimes, and players not knowing what's allowed and what is not.

In the past players understood the rules to be

no player may impersonate a member of ccp in any way shape or form. players, corps, and alliances may not name themselves after trademarked entities, to avoid legal disputes despite the fact that the trademark does not extend to an in game player made entity. lying and scamming other players is allowed and encouraged. having to think for yourself and know what is going on is part of eve and all players are expected to investigate deals using in game tools.
Capqu
Half Empty
xqtywiznalamywmodxfhhopawzpqyjdwrpeptuaenabjawdzku
#366 - 2013-09-11 17:16:29 UTC
hi im chribba's alt open for 3rd party services
Ifly Uwalk
Perkone
Caldari State
#367 - 2013-09-11 17:17:33 UTC
Frank sends his regards.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#368 - 2013-09-11 17:18:15 UTC
Orakkus wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
I think they've clarified that you scammers, yes you badguy scammers, are screwed.

Yes, how dare Eve have Scammers. And how dare Eve open up morale options in a sandbox game. And how dare there be penalties for being naive, lazy, or ignorant. And how dare I look good because of the morale choices available to me, those should be banned too.

Holy cow, you put a 100MN AB on your Tengu, that was never intended, therefore we're going to ban that too, cuz it misrepresents the Tengu's abilities.

You put Lazors on your Rifter? How dare you! You are banned also for misrepresenting the Minmatar race.

Role-playing an escaped Minmatar slave? How dare you represent a slave when you are an aging, bald white American who lives with his parents! Ban for you as well!

Yeah, screw all the people !

Can't roleplay as a New Order person either because apparently they don't exist.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Heimdallofasgard
Ministry of Furious Retribution
Fraternity.
#369 - 2013-09-11 17:18:37 UTC
HEY GUYS! I JUST IMPERSONATED MY ALT AND TRADED MY MAIN SAYING I WAS GOING TO TRANSPORT SOME LOOT TO JITA FOR MYSELF...

I MADE THE FOOLISH MISTAKE OF BELIEVING MYSELF AND NOW I HAVE ALL MY PHAT LOOT INSTEAD OF ME :'(

should I have used a courier contract? I'm pretty pissed off with myself for scamming me, I think myself should be banned but I don't believe I should be.

How do I legal?
Capqu
Half Empty
xqtywiznalamywmodxfhhopawzpqyjdwrpeptuaenabjawdzku
#370 - 2013-09-11 17:18:39 UTC
Ifly Uwalk wrote:
Frank sends his regards.

plz dont impersonate frank again or i'll have to report you
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#371 - 2013-09-11 17:20:09 UTC
Bad decision CCP, letting GMs interpret policy like this. What happened to playing the villain, being a spy, pirate or thief?

I can't believe that you would wittingly remove these roles from the game. So why would you let a GM say as much? How about we hear from the actual game developers about their vision for the game and whether they truly intend to completely change the fundamental principles of eve 10 years in. Why do you think there is such a huge response to this?

Insanity like this, I really did not expect from a company that saw the incarna debacle.

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#372 - 2013-09-11 17:21:04 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Second time's the charm.

Third time, right? Expect to be here a while... Twisted
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#373 - 2013-09-11 17:21:43 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Frostys Virpio wrote:
KIller Wabbit wrote:
My take on this "clarification" - people that have been scammed/AWOX'd over the years have not been filing enough petitions!! What we have all believed to be valid EVE sandbox play has been in violation the whole time. We conned ourselves. lol

This might be partially true. Did anyone from CCP ever provide a clear text saying scamming was legal or was it always the player refering to past case of not getting banned saying it's legal because X, Y and Z pulled it off before?

They put out a trailer where the guy scammed his way into an alliance and stole everything.

CCP have also congratulated people for scamming heaps of stuff. Scamming is one of the cornerstones of this game and has been for the entire time its been live.
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#374 - 2013-09-11 17:23:38 UTC
KIller Wabbit wrote:
Varius Xeral wrote:
Second time's the charm.

Third time, right? Expect to be here a while... Twisted

HA! I had forgotten about that post.

Well-played, my good man (not that I am suggesting that you are misprepresenting yourself as a spacewoman when you are, in fact, an earthman at a computer).

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#375 - 2013-09-11 17:26:04 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Orakkus wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Yeah, screw all the people !

Can't roleplay as a New Order person either because apparently they don't exist.

At least you wouldn't be banned for impersonating one!

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#376 - 2013-09-11 17:26:39 UTC
An Anonymous commenter on Poetic Stanziel's blog claimed that there was no problem, because the impersonation only extends to in-game characters and things. So if I apply to Valkyries of Might claiming to be best buds with Ali Aras in RL, that would apparently fly... well, according to someone unwilling to put a name to his words on an unofficial blog, anyway.

Dersen did always want to be a Valkyrie. Hawt!

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#377 - 2013-09-11 17:26:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
That has to be the most fucktarded rule I have ever seen in gaming… and I've played EA games. Shocked

But ok, if you're going to go with the boneheaded idea that claiming to be yourself is a bannable offence (and yes you really are doing this so trying to dodge it will only make us laugh at your inability to understand what you've written), can you at least make sure to make the rule double-sided: make it so that lying about who other people are is also a ban-worthy offence under the same rule. After all, they, too, are misrepresenting who's behind a character. Surely, this must be against the same rule by the same standard?
Ifly Uwalk
Perkone
Caldari State
#378 - 2013-09-11 17:27:13 UTC
Y'all can blame this sh*tstorm on me. About a month ago I decced a corp and sent their CEO the following:
Quote:
Mr Shadowlord,

Good evening. ETCA is a CONCORD-approved tax collection agency operating on behalf of and all over the four major empires.

The Caldari State has found your corporation guilty of tax evasion in connection with the illicit acquisition of salvage. In particular, residents of the Motsu area have filed several complaints against your former corporation member Zloy Salvager in that regard.

State and Region Bank launched a full investigation and found that Mr Salvager was in fact acting on your behalf. The Chief Executive Panel has tasked me with the recovery of lost tax revenue in the amount of ISK 500,000,000.00 (500 million) through any means necessary.

To avoid further embarrasment I suggest you pay the above mentioned amount as soon as possible to me, Ifly Uwalk. This will cause an immediate end of hostilities.

Awaiting your positive reply,

Kind regards,

Ify Uwalk

I thought I was engaging in some mild RP, I swear!

Two days ago, exactly (to the minute!) 4 hours before the new ToS was announced I got an "Official Contact from CCP Customer Support" asking me politely not to claim to represent CONCORD. A second communication then told me not to claim to represent the SRB or CEP either as that could be against the EULA/TOS.

Sorry guys! Won't happen again, honest.

o7

P.S.: Didn't get banned, or even warned. Just "politely asked" to not do it again.
P.P.S.: The "RP" bit got deleted from "MMORPG," RIP.
Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#379 - 2013-09-11 17:27:29 UTC
This is why GMs should enforce policy and not make policy.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Luther Chuggs
Goosefleet
Gooseflock Featheration
#380 - 2013-09-11 17:28:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Luther Chuggs
Caytii wrote:
If a goon scammer claims to be The Mittani's alt then the real Mittani will generally be happy to confirm that claim via evemail (and gets a cut of the scam's proceeds in return).

This implies that two things are true:

1.) The Mittani has the time, energy, and desire to read and respond to every Eve Mail he's sent from Random Pubbie Citizen 284593 about some paltry change that was scammed out of them by one of the 10,500 members of GSF, and

2.) That The Mittani isn't already a Space Romney for whom 250m ISK is a pittance.

However, in the reality in which we currently reside, these two things could not be farther from the truth, and if you believe them then you're A Pretty Dumb Person.