These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Competitive Gaming

First post
Author
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#61 - 2013-09-11 11:48:39 UTC

It's all about awesome, and real combat in EVE is simply more awesome than arenas

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#62 - 2013-09-11 11:57:19 UTC
Roime wrote:

It's all about awesome, and real combat in EVE is simply more awesome than arenas

if you don't find PI fun, just don't do it then

same with arenas
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#63 - 2013-09-11 11:59:11 UTC
If you don't find EVE fun, just don't do it then

Tron 3K
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#64 - 2013-09-11 12:03:36 UTC
Harry Forever wrote:
Roime wrote:

same with arenas

Using that doesn't work when you can't grasp the concept yourself.
Barzai Mekhar
True Confusion
#65 - 2013-09-11 12:08:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Barzai Mekhar
Harry Forever wrote:
I guess most people just don't understand why leagues have been implemented in real world, thats why they don't understand the need for it in EvE... however it would just fill the same purpose, training

in the real world we do the same thing to get better, with sports, in history it has bee fights in arenas... at the end it filled the training need to get better, better for the real fight

if EvE does not need it, then just because EvEs inhabitants are not there yet to see the need for it... animals don't have arenas for training either, thats right

Historically, fights in the arena have always been meant to be entertaining, not to provide training. While martial competitions were typcially held in high esteem in military nations, the fighters were typically slaves, criminals or other disposable elements; the abilities of arena fighting didn't transition well into the tactics of the ancient times, which were mostly reliant on highly disciplined closed formations, such as phalanxes.

The closest intermixture between public competition and military could be found in the spartan society, where competitions between soldiers were indeed part of the regular training. Note that the focus of these competitions was not entertainment value, they were not designed to be fair and participation was not optional; while the observer might have found those competitions entertaining, the competitioner most certainly didnt. Also keep in mind that those were the guys that thought throwing weak-looking infants into a chasm was a perfectly reasonable thing to do; I doubt that their understanding of what constitutes an "entertaining competition" would transition well into modern times.

Harry Forever wrote:
Roime wrote:

same with arenas

Current gameplay mechanisms are not balanced for arena combat and would most likely result in an undesireable experience for the participants. In order to make arena work, specific rebalancing would be required. The current playerbase is not interested to have their game rebalanced to suit an arena environment.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#66 - 2013-09-11 12:08:18 UTC
Harry Forever wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Harry Forever wrote:

it would not change a thing on the economy

They did the exact same thing in galaxies and the economy collapsed inside two weeks.

the opposite would happen, implemented the right way people would start intense grinding for the best ships, they would need to get to nullsec and WH space to get those most expensive modules, they would loose ships going there and stuff, it would even stimulate nullsec roaming etc.

They can buy everything off the market and if it lasts forever then they only need to buy it once.

The exact same would happen here as happened on galaxies.
Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#67 - 2013-09-11 12:20:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Harry Forever
baltec1 wrote:
Harry Forever wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Harry Forever wrote:

it would not change a thing on the economy

They did the exact same thing in galaxies and the economy collapsed inside two weeks.

the opposite would happen, implemented the right way people would start intense grinding for the best ships, they would need to get to nullsec and WH space to get those most expensive modules, they would loose ships going there and stuff, it would even stimulate nullsec roaming etc.

They can buy everything off the market and if it lasts forever then they only need to buy it once.

The exact same would happen here as happened on galaxies.

get over your galaxies loss man

this is a different game

gamers just leave because of bad gameplay or because another game is getting better to fill their desire

most of the people talking here do not even play that much, they did maybe 5 years ago

most of the people do not understand gamers at all, they just want to collect ships and stuff and spin it all day long

you people treat your ships like gollum his ring
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#68 - 2013-09-11 12:21:23 UTC
Oh look another Harry thread.

I have come to the conclusion that Harry is a Clown... So all I will respond with is HONK HONK...

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#69 - 2013-09-11 12:22:08 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that Harry is a Clown... So all I will respond with is HONK HONK...

thanks on the input, it really feels like you are an expert on the game
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#70 - 2013-09-11 12:24:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Cannibal Kane
Harry Forever wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

From my point of view and judging by others responses here... certainly a lot more than you.

You will Kill the economy... You would kill the economy quickly. Your statement that people will go to low or null to make more is isk is unfounded. I made Billions without ever doing any PVE or Industry or going to low or null.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#71 - 2013-09-11 12:24:46 UTC
Harry Forever wrote:

get over your galaxies loss man

this is a different game

gamers just leave because of bad gameplay or because another game is getting better to fill their desire

most of the people talking here do not even play that much, they did maybe 5 years ago

most of the people do not understand gamers at all, they just want to collect ships and stuff and spin it all day long

you people treat your ships like gollum his ring

It has happened in every single game to have followed your idea.

If you want these things then go play STO because that game is exactly what you are wanting.
Barzai Mekhar
True Confusion
#72 - 2013-09-11 12:26:18 UTC
Harry Forever wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

Well, while I don't really like him (based on him being a ganker, me being an industrialist and thus prospective victim and everything), his signature alone expresses more understanding of the spirit of EvE than everything you've ever posted taken together.
Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#73 - 2013-09-11 12:29:04 UTC
Barzai Mekhar wrote:
Harry Forever wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

Well, while I don't really like him (based on him being a ganker, me being an industrialist and thus prospective victim and everything), his signature alone expresses more understanding of the spirit of EvE than everything you've ever posted taken together.

oh really? for me it sounded more like a monkey is talking to me... but thanks for explaining
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#74 - 2013-09-11 12:29:26 UTC
Barzai Mekhar wrote:
Harry Forever wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

I am not a ganker.. but thank you.

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#75 - 2013-09-11 12:36:08 UTC
too many people here holding up the developement, they treat the game like their ships, the gamemechanics has put their minds into jail... free spirit with good ideas are like enemies in a static world resistant to change, at the end those will be the ones killing the game...
Barzai Mekhar
True Confusion
#76 - 2013-09-11 12:36:44 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Barzai Mekhar wrote:
Harry Forever wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

I am not a ganker.. but thank you.

Well, it might have been more correct to say that you're a member of a corporation specialized in.. lets say non consensual highsec warfare (that additionally wardaced me for expressing my dislike about common pratices of gankers), but that would have bloated the sentece.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#77 - 2013-09-11 12:38:22 UTC
Harry Forever wrote:
too many people here holding up the developement, they treat the game like their ships, the gamemechanics has put their minds into jail... free spirit with good ideas are like enemies in a static world resistant to change, at the end those will be the ones killing the game...

This game is growing every year while every single other MMO is losing subs.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#78 - 2013-09-11 12:40:10 UTC
Ok, this is it:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=19530470

Harry Forever, the most competitive EVE player known to date first destroyed Goonswarm in a single campaign on VFK, and then moved on to breaking game rules by ganking newbros in a starter system.

harry, **** off.

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#79 - 2013-09-11 12:41:35 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Harry Forever wrote:

This game is growing every year while every single other MMO is losing subs.

yea thats why we won't add any new stuff anymore, right?

good you are no developer, the game would have had a cycle of 1 year
Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#80 - 2013-09-11 12:43:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Harry Forever
Roime wrote:
Ok, this is it:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=19530470

Harry Forever, the most competitive EVE player known to date first destroyed Goonswarm in a single campaign on VFK, and then moved on to breaking game rules by ganking newbros in a starter system.

harry, **** off.

he was a suspect and did steal some stuff, I King of Highsec brought justice to this creature