These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why are people such risk averse pansies when it comes to fleeting with neutrals?

Author
Karsa Egivand
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2013-09-10 11:34:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Karsa Egivand
OP is correct if we are talking funsy roaming with T1 cruisers/battlecruisers or T1/T2/navy frigates. If the risk isn't that high, yet you have credible offers for a little bit of roaming ... go for it.

This probably applies to lowsec much more than it does to nullsec, where arrangements like that are much less likely to arise in the first place.

I've lived in lowsec pockets where I have been on roams with people that I shot down 2 days earlier (and a week later). But that was also the land of honouring 1v1s, etc.

Sure, you'll get bitten once in a while, but then you know never to trust that guy again. On the other hand, I know a lot of neutrals/reds (really, not much of a difference.... PirateLol), that I'd trust more than some of my alliance-mates.
Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#22 - 2013-09-10 14:35:13 UTC
It makes them feel unsafe.
They don't want to look foolish if they are AWOXed.
They don't want to appear disloyal to their own group.
They harbor resentment, mistrust, malice, etc. towards those not in their group.
They don't really "know" any reds or neutrals and don't want to examine people as individuals, but would rather just be "friends" with whoever their superiors/leadership tell them to be "friends" with.
They have no use for non-blues because their list of blues is so large that they can always find someone to fleet with.
They believe that blues are the good guys and reds (neutrals, too, if you're NBSI) are the bad guys and do not cooperate with them on principle.

When I started playing, the first "reds" I ever really encountered were Red Alliance, Russians. I hated them. They roamed through our space. They ambushed us on our way to and from empire. They were hostile to us for apparently no reason whatsoever.
Then, one day, someone asked a question about them in our intel channel, something like: "How is that red docked in our station?". They didn't have docking rights there. Someone answered: "It used to be their station. This was their space. We took it."
So, all the time I thought I was defending "our" space, I was actually the invader, and I started to wonder why I was letting other people tell me who the "good guys" and "bad guys" were. I started to notice that those Red Alliance players had guts, whereas a lot of my "blues" were people I'd gladly have shot.
I saw a "blue" suicide gank someone in an industrial and I remember thinking several things, that I would really like to shoot that mother[expletive deleted], that I would probably find myself hot water with my corp if I did, that he would have blown up my industrial just the same if I wasn't blue to him, and that on any given day, if I were the villain, I'd probably want to be set as "blue" to everyone but the person I wanted to shoot on that day.

Most people don't want to think about these things. They just want to "hurr durr pew pew pew lulz0rd".
Oswald Bolke
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2013-09-10 15:25:22 UTC
BNI has tried this in the past....letting people like "Gorski Car" or "Firetruck Man" into our fleets

they either collect intel or awox..or both.

Never ends well for us
Nuglord
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#24 - 2013-09-10 15:45:18 UTC
Oswald Bolke wrote:
BNI has tried this in the past....letting people like "Gorski Car" or "Firetruck Man" into our fleets

Never ends well for us

collect intel on brave newbies

right
symolan
BamBam Inc.
#25 - 2013-09-10 15:48:03 UTC
Nuglord wrote:
Oswald Bolke wrote:

Never ends well for us

right

the one I quote educated me regarding blind fleet accepts.
Oswald Bolke
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2013-09-10 15:58:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Oswald Bolke
Nuglord wrote:
Oswald Bolke wrote:

Never ends well for us

right

I mean not like they learn too much, but they figure out some of our tendencies and what not.
Besides usually there's 1-2 spies in our coms at all times at home base. we expect that. can't tell you how many times you cal a primary and they just happen to align out before everyone even targets him
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2013-09-10 16:00:10 UTC
"I'm undocking now, oh look someone I don't know is inviting me to fleet. Better click 'yes'."

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Oswald Bolke
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2013-09-10 16:07:18 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
"I'm undocking now, oh look someone I don't know is inviting me to fleet. Better click 'yes'."

I've seen people lose battleships this way.

Good lolz there
Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2013-09-10 17:40:33 UTC
Why do so many cowardly people not let strangers into their house? They're just risk averse wusses.

Bokononist

Tuggboat
Oneida Inc.
#30 - 2013-09-10 20:43:00 UTC
Anxiety = (Risk perception)*(probability of coping)

A large part of the problem is that risk probability is assumed to be unknown. IN fact a sample size of 5 will give you an idea of the median result 93% of the time.

We tend to exaggerate risk. If you try something 5 times you'll know what probably going to happen. There will be outliers and there always will be but try something 5 times and your risk assessment will be as accurate as you need it to be for a game and your risk assessment will be realistic instead of nuclear attack defcon 1 level.

We also underestimate our ability to cope and adjust. Once more, the rule of 5 will tell us what our real ability to cope is.

Once we have a realistic idea of the threat and a realistic assessment of our own ability to cope anxiety comes down to a realistic level. when we trust that we will probably cope just fine, anxiety turns into the excitement of adventure.

And that is why people are risk averse in a nutshell
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#31 - 2013-09-10 21:10:54 UTC
wowyouareacow wrote:
Are people really THIS afraid of awoxers that they'd literally just stay docked spinning their ship instead of letting reds and neutrals join them for small gang roams?

I can understand the reasoning behind a secret alliance op involving structures, but why on earth are people so scared to let strangers in their small gang pvp roams? If they awox, they know in future not to trust them so the damage is only limited.
Furthermore, you can even check their killboards to get a pretty good idea of whether they break fleet etiquette.

Seriously, if you OCCASIONALLY lose a ship to an awoxer who claimed to honor fleet agreements, who cares?
You can still afford 50 more.

Personally I think people are way too uptight about it.

Who needs to be in the clone vat trying to convince themselves: " Well at least I'm not risk averse".

Because there are people who go out of their way to arrange some kills through these means, not fleeting with neutrals is the proven counter to those means.

Working as intended.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#32 - 2013-09-10 21:12:39 UTC
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
It makes them feel unsafe.
They don't want to look foolish if they are AWOXed.
They don't want to appear disloyal to their own group.
They harbor resentment, mistrust, malice, etc. towards those not in their group.
They don't really "know" any reds or neutrals and don't want to examine people as individuals, but would rather just be "friends" with whoever their superiors/leadership tell them to be "friends" with.
They have no use for non-blues because their list of blues is so large that they can always find someone to fleet with.
They believe that blues are the good guys and reds (neutrals, too, if you're NBSI) are the bad guys and do not cooperate with them on principle.

When I started playing, the first "reds" I ever really encountered were Red Alliance, Russians. I hated them. They roamed through our space. They ambushed us on our way to and from empire. They were hostile to us for apparently no reason whatsoever.
Then, one day, someone asked a question about them in our intel channel, something like: "How is that red docked in our station?". They didn't have docking rights there. Someone answered: "It used to be their station. This was their space. We took it."
So, all the time I thought I was defending "our" space, I was actually the invader, and I started to wonder why I was letting other people tell me who the "good guys" and "bad guys" were. I started to notice that those Red Alliance players had guts, whereas a lot of my "blues" were people I'd gladly have shot.
I saw a "blue" suicide gank someone in an industrial and I remember thinking several things, that I would really like to shoot that mother[expletive deleted], that I would probably find myself hot water with my corp if I did, that he would have blown up my industrial just the same if I wasn't blue to him, and that on any given day, if I were the villain, I'd probably want to be set as "blue" to everyone but the person I wanted to shoot on that day.

Most people don't want to think about these things. They just want to "hurr durr pew pew pew lulz0rd".

You just described the Vietnam war...

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Georgina Parmala
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-09-10 21:43:10 UTC
wowyouareacow wrote:
Fleet members don't appear on most usual overview regardless of standings.
You should have a tab that shows all players too.

Yeah, because I'm going to switch to my special overview tab (logi) that DOES show blues... so I can shoot the blues the red guy in my fleet is broadcasting as primary Roll

You're a special kind of special.

Science and Trade Institute [STI] is an NPC entity and as such my views do not represent those of the entity or any of its members

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=276984&p=38

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#34 - 2013-09-10 22:00:21 UTC
Read the OP as: "Why are people such risk averse penises.."

Definitely backing out of thread...

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

MeestaPenni
Mercantile and Stuff
#35 - 2013-09-10 22:02:52 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Read the OP as: "Why are people such risk averse penises.."

Definitely backing out of thread...

Definitely better than backing into it.

I am not Prencleeve Grothsmore.

Deborah Bat-Zeev
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2013-09-10 22:16:59 UTC
Switchblade Soliloquy Asheki wrote:
Besides, who would let a red into a fleet to begin with ?

Yes, who would?
Alara IonStorm
#37 - 2013-09-10 22:26:15 UTC
I remember watching this documentary about the Battle of the Bulge. One of the stories was that there was this US unit that had foxholes along the treeline taking fire from enemy mortars that was much more accurate then it should have been and they were getting slaughtered. A guy in a US Medic uniform in the middle of the field was hunched over tending to what was obviously a dead man while taking quick glances at the trees. After a short debate a rifleman picked off the medic. The following mortar volleys started going long and wide.

This thread made me think of that.
Aiwha
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-09-10 22:39:11 UTC
When I let neutrals join any fleet I control it means they're going to get popped for lulz.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

wowyouareacow
NANA221 Corporation
#39 - 2013-09-10 23:04:00 UTC  |  Edited by: wowyouareacow
Are you serious!? NEVER NOT let Gorski Car into your fleet, that man is honourable!
wowyouareacow
NANA221 Corporation
#40 - 2013-09-10 23:06:44 UTC  |  Edited by: wowyouareacow
Georgina Parmala wrote:
wowyouareacow wrote:
Fleet members don't appear on most usual overview regardless of standings.
You should have a tab that shows all players too.

Yeah, because I'm going to switch to my special overview tab (logi) that DOES show blues... so I can shoot the blues the red guy in my fleet is broadcasting as primary Roll

You're a special kind of special.

And you're a ******* idiot. I never said ANYTHING about fleeting with reds to shoot blues (though that would be fun), I meant fleeting with neuts/reds to shoot OTHER neuts and reds, there's a difference.

Mayhaw Morgan hit the nail on the head. Many of the people who have the most fun in EVE can look past things like that.