These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

One Tribeswoman's Request

Author
Shintoko Akahoshi
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#121 - 2013-09-09 20:22:44 UTC
Happy fun times!

I, Kaika Arahoi'i of the Arahoi'i people (sounds so impressive when I say it like that) support you folks adding your voice to this call, and also extend an invitation for Pieter to come have drinks with me sometime. We can have a chat about language in the Federation, which you might find interesting.

Bio and writing

(Nothing I say is indicative of corporate policy unless otherwise stated)

Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#122 - 2013-09-09 21:51:46 UTC
Any excuse for drinks, Skinny. I'll be in touch.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Johan Marberg
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#123 - 2013-09-09 23:04:31 UTC
Ava I suspect you tilt at over large windmills but allow me to add my voice as one of support.
Eran Mintor
Metropolis Commercial Consortium
#124 - 2013-09-10 00:39:00 UTC
I like where this is going and the possibilities of opportunity's made available by this.

-Eran
Arnulf Ogunkoya
Clan Ogunkoya
Electus Matari
#125 - 2013-09-10 22:21:07 UTC
Eran Mintor wrote:
I like where this is going and the possibilities of opportunity's made available by this.

-Eran

Mr Mintor. Given your recent history. Do you really think that you making approving noises will help anything here?

Regards, Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#126 - 2013-09-11 05:28:22 UTC
But a rift, at worst case civil war, between loyal Matari would indeed work for the advantage of the enemy.
Eran Mintor
Metropolis Commercial Consortium
#127 - 2013-09-11 08:37:18 UTC
Arnulf Ogunkoya wrote:
Eran Mintor wrote:

-Eran

Mr Mintor. Given your recent history. Do you really think that you making approving noises will help anything here?

If by "recent history" you're referring to things I did almost a year ago, the answer is "yes."

If you refer to things I've done in the past few months, the answer is still yes, but how the hell have you known what I've been up to? I thought I was being discreet...and no, I'm not referring to Discreet Bounties.

Beyond that, I didn't know I was making noises; I thought I was making remarks and comments. You may not like me but, if I approve of what someones doing that counts for something, no? I certainly don't intend to befoul peoples actions by giving my approval. If that's what was inferred then I apologize.

-Eran
Vincent Pryce
Blue Canary
Watch This
#128 - 2013-09-11 09:56:57 UTC
I, Vincent Pryce, Archangel of Asakai, Angel Cartel, Curse, add my voice to this call.

"From your Curse we made Heaven for ourselves."

Domination Seraphim

Cartel approved, Heaven blessed

Cain Aloga
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#129 - 2013-10-02 15:39:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Cain Aloga
I, Cain Aloga, of the Brutor Tribe add my voice to this, and hope that it adds weight to this call.

While our warriors fight for our people's freedom, we in turn should fight for our people's prosperity.

Evi Polevhia
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#130 - 2013-10-02 16:43:31 UTC
Cain Aloga wrote:
I, Cain Aloga, of the Brutor Tribe add my voice to this, and hope that it adds weight to this call.

Given the time lapse, they are either unwilling to respond or unable to respond. Take that how you will.
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#131 - 2013-10-03 18:15:34 UTC
Evi Polevhia wrote:
Cain Aloga wrote:

Given the time lapse, they are either unwilling to respond or unable to respond. Take that how you will.

Time? You haven't worked much with Matari councils of any sort, have you?

Else
Ferramin Bolmara
Fhloston Paradise
#132 - 2013-10-03 23:12:36 UTC
I, Ferramin Bolmara, of the Vherokior tribe, also lends my voice in support of these questions!
Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#133 - 2013-10-05 10:25:28 UTC
We're nothing if not very patient.

We have had lots of practice waiting.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Solarienne
Hrimdraugar
#134 - 2013-10-05 11:01:59 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:
We're nothing if not very patient.

We have had lots of practice waiting.

I can appreciate that, in my time as a State loyal capsuleer I had many Minmatar friends who seemed to have the mental and physical endurance of a mountain. But, even they hit breaking point from time to time.

You deserve better.

PY-RE Combat Pilot

Kyllsa Siikanen
Tuonelan Virta
#135 - 2013-10-05 11:32:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyllsa Siikanen
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Because managing a population that is culturally so different from your own is very difficult without either imposing your prejudices on them or vice-versa. Managing the security of a bloc that locally outnumbers you means that you cannot take for granted which way they will jump politically or socially - or your ability to enforce control in a pinch.

Inevitably, once a cultural minority reaches a certain size, it encysts itself within the body politic. You get districts where your own language is spoken as a second tongue. Where the street gangs operate according to rules you don't understand. Where the population instinctively mistrusts your law enforcement personnel - unless you recruit heavily from within that community, whereupon you simply take an external problem and internalise it!

Pieter, this is an excellent post, because this highlights (inadvertently!) what is likely the number 1 problem in the Republic, and which will be the number 1 problem of any Minmatar government, regardless who it is or what form it takes.

We are not a single ethnic group. We are seven, as different from each other as any other groups anywhere. We all speak different languages, adhere to different customs, settle in different communities organized on different rules, and who conduct our business in vastly different ways. About the only unifying thing between all of us is our shared history and the fact that almost all of us, traditionally, practice shamanistic, spirit-centered religions.

Any diplomat or chief must wade through such a cultural miasma of potential offense and misunderstanding that anything, absolutely ANYTHING resembling a decision, if it impacts more than the Clan, or perhaps the Sub-Tribe at most, will seem to take forever. And, frankly, we're still trying to figure out how to work around it.

I am not saying that we do not deserve answers. far from; this call is just. Yes, I am sure I state this with a bit of bias; the OP is my cousin, the "partners in crime" my alliance. I want my council to succeed. I want them to step up and face this.

I am just saying it is sadly very likely that this is a divisive issue within the council itself, as it certainly has been within the Republic. Not everyone on the Council would likely agree on where to have lunch, let alone a thing like this.

We've been a nation, in our current form, with our current government, for less than a year.

I hope we make it.

“Crying is all right in its own way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.” 

― C.S. Lewis 

Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#136 - 2013-10-05 18:51:15 UTC
I'd say that even more than religious or cosmological views, what unifies the Matari is the idea of clan and tribe, or in a more general sense of kin before friend or self.

Sidenote maybe, but on the other hand, that probably ties into the exasperatingly frustrating timescale issues of any council trying to accomplish anything. When your instinct is to think on a timescale of multiple generations rather than individual lifespans, things might tend to feel less urgent.

Unfortunately our allies and enemies don't always grant us the time things naturally would take...

Else