These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

When Target Painters actially work - at the time of launch or explosion?

Author
Zetto Batona
Las Batonas
#1 - 2013-09-10 14:36:19 UTC
If I use TP on missile boat, when painter must be on target - at the time of missile launch or when missile hits it's target? So should I turn it on before activating missile launcher or it doesn't matter?
Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2013-09-10 14:42:08 UTC
Zetto Batona wrote:
If I use TP on missile boat, when painter must be on target - at the time of missile launch or when missile hits it's target? So should I turn it on before activating missile launcher or it doesn't matter?

I'll probably get corrected on this, but the TP should be active when the missile actually hits the target.

He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander

Darling Hassasin
Parental Control
Didn't want that Sov anyway.
#3 - 2013-09-10 15:13:32 UTC
Orakkus wrote:
Zetto Batona wrote:

I'll probably get corrected on this, but the TP should be active when the missile actually hits the target.

I have always operated on this premise but never actually bothered confirming it by observation.
Kery Nysell
#4 - 2013-09-10 15:41:08 UTC
I sometimes fire a volley while my Target Painter is still deactivating from a previous target ... as far as I can tell, as soon as the Target Painter is active on a target, said target sig radius is inflated ...

Because when my missiles are "en route" and I activate the Painter during their flight, I see the boosted damage scrolling when the missiles hit.

Very empiric tough, I don't have numbers to support my theory.

RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#5 - 2013-09-10 16:14:51 UTC
I don't think the TP and missiles interact with each other through codeing,
So, I think, as long as the TP shows on the target before impact, the missiles will recognize the inflated signature.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#6 - 2013-09-10 16:20:02 UTC
Signature is increased as soon as you light it up, TP's work on projectiles drones and hybrids/lasers, have confirmed it repeatedly.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-09-10 17:11:54 UTC
Zetto Batona wrote:

The effect must be present on target to add Tp benefits on dmg calculations.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Zetto Batona
Las Batonas
#8 - 2013-09-10 18:26:37 UTC
Thank you, guys :)
Darkwolf
#9 - 2013-09-10 23:59:08 UTC
Confirming. TP damage increase for missiles happens when the missile hits, not when the missile is launched. Frequently I launch missiles and then light up the TP and I get the bonus.

You can also see a similar thing happen with MWDs. If you shoot a missile at someone who's using a MWD and the MWD deactivates before strike, you don't get the benefit of their increased signature radius.

This is different than in some MMO's (eg, I think this happens in wow), where evasion/damage is determined at time of launch, and the projectile is just for looks. In EVE, the projectile is important.
stoicfaux
#10 - 2013-09-11 00:11:31 UTC
Pedantic and re-stated because it is important.

TPs do not "work" with (interact with) missiles. TPs increase target sig size. Target sig size is used to calculate missile damage.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Darkwolf
#11 - 2013-09-11 00:16:07 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
TPs do not "work" with (interact with) missiles. TPs increase target sig size. Target sig size is used to calculate missile damage.

This is true. I shortcutted my statement slightly - and I hope my commentary on MWDs and projectile flight made it more obvious :D

It's also worth noting that missile damage calculation happens at the time that the missile actually hits, not at the time it's launched.

I don't know whether damage bonuses still apply if you do something weird like eject from a bonused ship before a missile hits, though.
culo duro
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-09-11 11:44:09 UTC
Darkwolf wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:

This is true. I shortcutted my statement slightly - and I hope my commentary on MWDs and projectile flight made it more obvious :D

It's also worth noting that missile damage calculation happens at the time that the missile actually hits, not at the time it's launched.

I don't know whether damage bonuses still apply if you do something weird like eject from a bonused ship before a missile hits, though.

As said a TP doesn'tinteract with missiles, it interacts with the size of your opponent which is effectively a Tracking Computer for your fleet.

Missiles do damage which depends on your opponent velocity and size.

I've starting blogging http://www.epvpc.blogspot.com 

Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#13 - 2013-09-11 18:16:14 UTC
RavenPaine wrote:
So, I think, as long as the TP shows on the target before impact, the missiles will recognize the inflated signature.

Logically, one would expect that the TP effect works even if is emitted from a different ship than the one firing the missiles (or shooting the güns). It follows logically from that that the TP effect ought to matter at the time the missiles hit (it's irrelevant for güns since they hit instantly, so-called "hit scan"), rather than at the time of launch.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#14 - 2013-09-12 14:41:27 UTC
Salpad wrote:
RavenPaine wrote:

Logically, one would expect that the TP effect works even if is emitted from a different ship than the one firing the missiles (or shooting the güns). It follows logically from that that the TP effect ought to matter at the time the missiles hit (it's irrelevant for güns since they hit instantly, so-called "hit scan"), rather than at the time of launch.

Correct on both accounts.