These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proposal] Turn the ships using the mouse

Author
Tian Toralen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-09-06 17:12:03 UTC
Keep middle mouse button pressed, move mouse, ship turns in the desired direction.

I know about ship agility, I know some ships would turn very slow. Right now, if I want to do the exact same thing (turn the ship in some random direction) I use double click. Not easy to use and not feeling like I control the ship. The method I propose would give make the space battles feel more real, and we could better feel the ship's mass when trying to turn.

It's one of the first things I tried to do in the game when I downloaded a trial - turn my ship. It was 50% of the fun of a "spaceship game". After that - I gave up and did not play for 1 year because the game felt too complex and - I could not even "fly" my ship.

So - right now, manual turn is possible using double click. Please make it possible using the mouse. See the "I was there" video, imagine doing that with double clicks. I mean - yes, people do that, using the spiral approach to dodge fire, but with double clicks it's not as immersive.
Kyon Rheyne
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2013-09-10 14:57:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyon Rheyne
Oh, god, not a mouse again. I'm already starting to hate this part of EVE. Please, MORE hotkeys, for everything (scanning especially). For this particular case, in addition to any mouse controls, please add some WASD controls for it, with WS controling so to say "pitch" and AD - "yaw". Pretty please.
Baaldor
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#3 - 2013-09-10 17:33:11 UTC
This is Eve, we play spreadsheets online.

WoT is that way--->
Kyon Rheyne
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-09-10 18:06:43 UTC
Now its time for revolution, MS Office offline that way -->
Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#5 - 2013-09-11 19:34:39 UTC
Tian Toralen wrote:
So - right now, manual turn is possible using double click. Please make it possible using the mouse. See the "I was there" video, imagine doing that with double clicks. I mean - yes, people do that, using the spiral approach to dodge fire, but with double clicks it's not as immersive.
I think I've heard before that FPS style control would severely increase bandwith used to the point that people would rage over it, especially during large fleet fights.

Also, as a sub-warp race veteran and someone that used to be part of a formation flight team in EVE, I feel like I'm somewhat of an expert on the subject and I have this to add: I don't really think it would improve immersion. Why? Because I see my double-clicks as the commands Niobe (me) shouts at Morpheus (the crew), and the 2 second delay as Morpheus (the crew) not keeping up with me.Big smile
Kyon Rheyne
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-09-12 02:38:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyon Rheyne
Che Biko wrote:
I think I've heard before that FPS style control would severely increase bandwith used to the point that people would rage over it, especially during large fleet fights.

It won't. If it will be implemented with integral delay/cool down timer (like 1-3 secs between key pressed and actual turning initiated) of sort, and will rotate ship on some fixed angle (15-45 degrees per keystroke) each time WASD key pressed, it won't be any different from mouse double clicking in terms of bandwith usage, but MUCH more convinient. It won't be precise also, but in most situations you don't need it to be precise, you just need to turn your ship slightly.
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#7 - 2013-09-12 09:31:25 UTC
To put it simply - It wont work, and Eve will never implement it.

The game isn't designed to allow this to happen.

Sorry, but either get used to flying ships as it is at the moment or find another game. (I'm not trying to be mean or troll you, that's just the way it is)

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Cynter DeVries
Spheroidal Projections
#8 - 2013-09-12 13:00:12 UTC
Actually the controls shouldn't move the ship directly. When you use navigation controls it should visually show you a course correction that you then commit to. You use the mouse or keyboard to adjust a vector line, with a highlighted plane showing deviation from current vector. When it's set the way you want you click or press a button and off you go. Same bandwidth usage as current double click but better usability.

I think FPS style controls would be a mistake. These are spaceships, you plot a course and engage.

Cynter's Law of feature suggestion: Thou shalt not suggest NPCs do something players could do instead.

Kyon Rheyne
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-09-12 19:26:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyon Rheyne
Cynter DeVries wrote:
When you use navigation controls it should visually show you a course correction that you then commit to. You use the mouse or keyboard to adjust a vector line, with a highlighted plane showing deviation from current vector. When it's set the way you want you click or press a button and off you go. Same bandwidth usage as current double click but better usability.

Yes, it is. As I've mentioned before, when implemented in right way, there won't be any difference in bandwith usage. I simply don't understand what others mean under "This game isn't designed for such" It is really needed and it is not so hard to implement (just another method of conveying the same information to server as with doubleclicking)

Cynter DeVries wrote:
Actually the controls shouldn't move the ship directly. I think FPS style controls would be a mistake. These are spaceships, you plot a course and engage.

I beg to differ. Combat piloting could be (and should be) done in that way. You won't be always able to plot course in the middle of battle and orders like "Change course 30 degrees starboard" (pressing WASD key) is perfeclty in place here.
Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#10 - 2013-09-12 19:31:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Che Biko
Rheyne, I think most people here are discussing the idea in the OP: continuous control of ship by moving the mouse.
If you wish to have feedback on your idea, you may be better of starting your own thread.
Kyon Rheyne
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-09-12 19:41:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyon Rheyne
Che Biko wrote:
Rheyne, I think most people here are discussing the idea in the OP: continuous control of ship by moving the mouse.
If you wish to have feedback on your idea, you may be better of starting your own thread.

If we really are having a discussion here, why what I've wrote won't do for objections/additions to model, proposed by topic starter?
Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#12 - 2013-09-14 14:39:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Che Biko
Oh, your objections are fine. But what your suggesting is not an addition to the model, it's a totally different model.

I was merely pointing out that people commenting about the bandwith useage and that "game is not designed for such control" are writing about the idea in the OP, and not about your idea about the hotkeys.