These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Suggestions for minimizing downtime

Author
Mina Corva
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-09-09 17:22:41 UTC
So Im good with PVP, I love pvp, I started playing eve for the potential of pvp with some other stuff. My conundrum is this every time I get blown up it takes i dunno 15-20 min to buy all the parts and the new ship. Then it takes another 30-40 min jumping to all the nearby stations to get the crap and get fitted. Some times its no biggie and I get wacked on the first jump other times Ive just left the station before I have to go spend another hour getting read just to be able to play. While I enjoy the overall feel and genra of the game I hate the time lost just getting ready to play. Id buy stacks of stuff and store it at my home base but im still crappy enough at pvp that I would likely loose more $$ than I would be able recoup that way. What is the best solution to minimizing the "endless" downtime?
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#2 - 2013-09-09 17:27:26 UTC
Quote:
Id buy stacks of stuff and store it at my home base but im still crappy enough at pvp that I would likely loose more $$ than I would be able recoup that way. What is the best solution to minimizing the "endless" downtime?

I'm confused.

-It doesn't change the amount of money you spend. You just buy it upfront rather than later.
-The point of doing it isn't to save money, it's to minimize downtime. You can buy 5 ships in the same time as you can buy one ship.

-If you're having problems with transporation, look into Red Frog Freight. You can have pretty much any amount of stuff (A freighter's worth) shipping through hisec for a pittance.
Mina Corva
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-09-09 17:43:32 UTC
While it dosent lessen the ammount of Isk spent when buying say 10 afterburners if I get podded while hauling them back home Im in the same situation I was previously minus a larger investment. Right now the only thing keeping me from truly enjoying the game is all of the downtime spent doing nothing besides jumping to stations to pick up parts or spending an hour or 2 jumping to nul to pvp or explore. In 20+ years of gaming experience I cant say that I have ever experienced a game with more sensless downtime than necessary. SWG was similar with having to run to different player cities to collect purchased itmes.
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#4 - 2013-09-09 17:47:39 UTC
Quote:
While it dosent lessen the ammount of Isk spent when buying say 10 afterburners if I get podded while hauling them back home Im in the same situation I was previously minus a larger investment

Then your problem boils down to "I can't safely haul my bulk stuff back home". There's a number of good solutions to this but the easiest is

Quote:
-If you're having problems with transporation, look into Red Frog Freight. You can have pretty much any amount of stuff (A freighter's worth) shipping through hisec for a pittance.
Drax Concrilla
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2013-09-09 17:49:32 UTC
Buy in bulk, get them shipped (don't move yourself). Buy say 20 Atron hulls, or whatever race/hull you want, plus assorted fittings and get them shipped to your base of operations either by a friend, yourself with a scout in front of you, or via Red/Black Frog Freight. Also buy the anticipated fittings you'll want/need.

Bulleted recap:

• Buy hulls in bulk
  • Buy various fittings in bulk
  • Get bulk hulls and fittings transported to base of operations
  • Set clone to base of operation station
  • When you lose a ship or get podded return to base and reship!
  • ???
  • Profit!
Syds Sinclair
StratsCo
Pretenders
#6 - 2013-09-09 17:57:17 UTC
..Are you traveling into LowSec?

I would suggest looking into a hauling service like Red Frog Freight. I think thdy have a LowSec division.

Hiring a courier involves creating a courier contract, filling it out with the agreed upon reward (their fee once the goods are delivered) and the agreed upon collateral (the couriers own money that goes into escrow in the event they, for whatever reason, do not deliver your goods).

Note: Set the collateral about 20% hire then the actual cost the items you want shipped.

Another option would be to get your PvP fix in a Faction Warfare. A lot of the LowSec systems in the FW zones are stocked with the usual PvP garb.
Mina Corva
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-09-09 18:21:45 UTC
Great suggestions, I had never considered to freight the stuff!
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-09-09 18:44:01 UTC
For low volume stuff to lowsec, consider Push Industries. They're cheaper for small volumes (<17000m3) than Black Frog (Red Frog's lowsec division)

I have found them a little erratic on delivery time however.
Mina Corva
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-09-09 18:47:40 UTC
good to know, thank you!
cpt Varox
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-09-13 08:09:55 UTC  |  Edited by: cpt Varox
Syds Sinclair wrote:
..Are you traveling into LowSec?

I would suggest looking into a hauling service like Red Frog Freight. I think thdy have a LowSec division.

Hiring a courier involves creating a courier contract, filling it out with the agreed upon reward (their fee once the goods are delivered) and the agreed upon collateral (the couriers own money that goes into escrow in the event they, for whatever reason, do not deliver your goods).

Note: Set the collateral about 20% hire then the actual cost the items you want shipped.

Another option would be to get your PvP fix in a Faction Warfare. A lot of the LowSec systems in the FW zones are stocked with the usual PvP garb.

Red frog does not deliver to lowsec only hisec. You want the specialized division to do it.
Its called Black Frog Logistics . They are expensive moving stuff so you best get your isk worth by buying a full cargo of jumpfreighter worth of modules (about 360k m3) as they tax per jump not per quantity. This beeing said Black Frog is the best for people with negative SS such as myself , great service as always.

here is a link to their page: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=35250
also their jump calculator: http://black-frog.red-frog.org/jumps.php
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#11 - 2013-09-13 08:19:58 UTC
What I wonder about is why didn't you ask your corpies about it? The point of being in player corp is to have this kind of support even if they don't have actual service in place, at least they know how to solve your newbie problems.

Invalid signature format

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-09-13 15:53:43 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
What I wonder about is why didn't you ask your corpies about it? The point of being in player corp is to have this kind of support even if they don't have actual service in place, at least they know how to solve your newbie problems.

This is the noobie forum. Questions like this belong here. There is no reason the OP should not check how people outside their corp manage their assets.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#13 - 2013-09-13 18:33:11 UTC
Black frog FTW if you don't have access to your own or corp/alliance logistical support (jump freighter).
Lychton Kondur
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#14 - 2013-09-13 18:38:26 UTC
Everyone in this thread is spot on about freighting in the ships and modules you need to keep fighting. However, there are potentially in-corp options for you. I would ask your corpmates if they do have any internal logisitcal freighting/hauling services. Secondly, I would see if your corp has contracts set up with pre-fitted ships that are in line with your doctrine.
Mina Corva
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-09-13 20:17:39 UTC
All good advice and ended up getting some instruction on setting up Buy orders as well as finding stuff specific to my system. I also set up an alt I can contract to for local stuff sence im based in a newbie FW corp.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#16 - 2013-09-14 01:33:09 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
OP... try shopping at the various trade hubs around the map. All or most of your ship and equipment needs should be covered at such places.

Some of the major ones include, but are not limited to...

Jita - in Caldari Space, largest of the trade hubs in both volume population (note: avoid on weekends and/or peak US-EU hours).
Amarr - in Amarr space, second largest
Dodixie - in Gallente space
Rens - in Minmatar space
Mina Corva
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-09-17 23:21:09 UTC
Great suggestion I will check it out!
lollerwaffle
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-09-18 03:34:38 UTC
Mina Corva wrote:
While it dosent lessen the ammount of Isk spent when buying say 10 afterburners if I get podded while hauling them back home Im in the same situation I was previously minus a larger investment. Right now the only thing keeping me from truly enjoying the game is all of the downtime spent doing nothing besides jumping to stations to pick up parts or spending an hour or 2 jumping to nul to pvp or explore. In 20+ years of gaming experience I cant say that I have ever experienced a game with more sensless downtime than necessary. SWG was similar with having to run to different player cities to collect purchased itmes.

Since you have suggestions of ways to get around it, I won't repeat them here. Just want to point out something for you to think about:

The 'downtime' exists, so that logistics plays a major role in warfare. If every single module and ship was instantly available in your local market, there would be no tactic of harassing your enermies' logistics chains, no way of delaying a reshipping pilot who just got popped and other tactical elements.

Also, the 'downtime' creates a niche which is filled by said Red Frog/Black Frog service providers.

Generally easiest just to shop at a market hub and get it shipped. For this, I park an unskilled alt in Jita (yes, I know, but it's cheapest everywhere which subsidizes my transportation costs), and buy in bulk every now and again. Then those items are either shipped to my system in lowsec via an alliance/corpmates or Black Frog services.
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-09-18 03:53:45 UTC
I use Red Frog sometimes when I need to haul a ton of ships somewhere. But I kind of like doing it myself too when I can. Even if you are doing the Lowsec PvP, you can haul your stuff to the nearest hisec system yourself with little (but not no) fear of being ganked. Then if you die, jump to that one hisec, get in next ship and return. If your sec status is bad so that facpo hunts you, then just make sure you make an insta undock and a 0km redock for that station. If you don't know what those are, there is a good discussion here.

And here is a cool idea if you want to be extra sneaky and have probing skills. Probe any signatures in your home lowsec system looking for wormholes. Sometimes you will find a wh that leads to hisec. When you do, pile all your gear in a hauler and bring it to lowsec through the wh and to your station. It won't come up often, but when it does you'll be all stocked up.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."