These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Suggestion for a new form of hybrid PvE/PvP content: Distress Calls

Author
Cptn Bagel
Strategic Fighters Association
#41 - 2013-09-04 06:25:40 UTC
+1
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#42 - 2013-09-04 07:16:25 UTC
PopeUrban wrote:
That's no moon!

+1 for famous quotes

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

GallowsCalibrator
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#43 - 2013-09-04 08:42:47 UTC
This is... actually a reasonable idea, looking at it. Huh, that doesn't happen very often.

Link this in with live event tools so these can be triggered/monitored/escalated by CCP as required as well, and you've got the basis for a few fun things. And anything that encourages fun and PvP entry (especially in highsec, got to get people to cut their teeth on delicious murder) would be a good thing.

CCP Eterne come look at this thread or something
Aaron Kyoto
Frozen Silver.
Arkhos Core
#44 - 2013-09-04 09:11:26 UTC
Cool idea and well thought out, could do with some tweaks in some areas, however.
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#45 - 2013-09-04 09:24:04 UTC
Needs polish but +1

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Igor Nappi
Doomheim
#46 - 2013-09-04 10:49:48 UTC
Sounds like a workable idea but should obviously be limited to take place only in lowsec and NPC 0.0.

Furthermore, I think that links must be removed from the game.

Rhianna Ghost
Ghost Industries Inc.
#47 - 2013-09-04 12:21:43 UTC
Would like to see this. Fits the Harassment theme. But maybe technical infeasable in that timeframe.

+1
Aaron Kyoto
Frozen Silver.
Arkhos Core
#48 - 2013-09-04 12:30:20 UTC
Igor Nappi wrote:
Sounds like a workable idea but should obviously be limited to take place only in lowsec and NPC 0.0.

How does this encourage pvp in hisec..?
Igor Nappi
Doomheim
#49 - 2013-09-04 15:42:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Igor Nappi
Aaron Kyoto wrote:
Igor Nappi wrote:

If anything, people should be encouraged to go PVP outside of hisec.

Furthermore, I think that links must be removed from the game.

Chronos Astre
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2013-09-04 16:24:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Chronos Astre
I 100% support this idea. As someone who has never engaged in PVP in EVE (Except for running from aggressors, but I don't think that counts), this is something I would feel comfortable participating in (excited, even). It helps organize PVP for players, reduces the risk involved to a very small extent by offsetting it with rewards, offers an alternate means of gaining standings / LP with a faction, and is overall well thought out. Kudos.

Edit: Oh and FWIW I would *NOT* participate in this in low / null, as I'd not want to risk getting blown up as I enter the system in question by those looking to take advantage of incoming traffic. One step at a time, and all. So, in order for this to be effective for the "curious carebear", it'd need to be possible for it to happen in high sec. It would only make sense if, like missions, it offered better rewards in low / null, to eventually entice those who have participated in a few in high sec to get their feet wet, but you have to give people a place to start.
Dimitrix Inkura
Arcbound Inc.
#51 - 2013-09-04 18:56:54 UTC
This is definitely something that sound's interesting. You should try and get the Devs to look at it so that we can get it implemented in game Smile

Buddy Invite Program: 21 Day Trial + 450m ISK + Lifelong Advice: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3793109#post3793109

Pakhwal Agnon
Small Nondescript Bookstore
#52 - 2013-09-04 22:23:46 UTC
This thread has been linked in "Assembly Hall" and "Live Events". Keep our fingers crossed.
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#53 - 2013-09-04 22:35:25 UTC
Why not implement this idea with the Hidden Belt idea that was released with Odyssey?

Not only would roid belts. ice, gas and anomalies appear but so to would your Distress Call.

The event would appear on the system scanner as Distress Call when you click and warp to it you would then be asked which side you want to be part of.

Good idea as it would add to the excitement for corps looking to do something other than mine and run missions and will teach high sector pilots how to PVE/PVP Combo for when then stop shaking at the knees and go into low sector.

+1
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#54 - 2013-09-04 23:03:17 UTC
Igor Nappi wrote:
Aaron Kyoto wrote:
Igor Nappi wrote:

As someone that started EVE as a carebear, I was extremely intimidated, for far too long, by high-low gates. I honestly believed they were all camped all the time.

Once I got over that fear, I learned to love lowsec. If it had more prey it would be my favorite type of space.

My intention here was to have the highsec distress calls be something people like the carebear I was (before I grew out of it) could experiment with to get their feet wet in PVP without (usually) having to evade gatecamps en route or face hostile triage carriers.

The 0.0 ones would probably often be a capital/supercapital playground, and the lowsec ones could go either way - sometimes a small gang will complete them before anyone really escalates it, other times they'll play out like the 0.0 ones but with less pods lost.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Phaade
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#55 - 2013-09-04 23:06:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Phaade
CCP, I think you should listen to your fellow Capsuleers on this one.

This is just what Eve needs; you would be fools not to.

EDIT: In fact, sticky this *****.
Pakhwal Agnon
Small Nondescript Bookstore
#56 - 2013-09-05 13:31:08 UTC
And Bump...
Phaade
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#57 - 2013-09-05 20:19:04 UTC
Pakhwal Agnon wrote:
This thread has been linked in "Assembly Hall" and "Live Events". Keep our fingers crossed.

We can only hope.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#58 - 2013-09-05 20:33:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
Igor Nappi wrote:
Aaron Kyoto wrote:
Igor Nappi wrote:

that plan didn't work out too well for FW. CCP dangled the carrot of pve boosts and it got the influx of low bears. All about the pve and pvp limited to only have to do.

Also as many player run events in low sec have shown....many get their kicks popping people travelling to and from the event area. With a no empire distress this would not draw in the bears. it be facing the chokepoints that be a big -1.

Another Case in point: low sec incursions. About as fair a pvp/pve mix you are gonna get out of empire. Bored crews with caps or even titans to bridge can't hot drop you for lolz. Even you average incursion fleet should be able to break a small pirate camp and fend off your average sized pirate crews on the site (enough bears with teeth and the fact piewats don't do cta's so they can't muster large crews at once since some piewats I know left 0.0 to not do the cta blob calls) . Yet still these are not run often as the empire ones.
Call Rollard
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#59 - 2013-09-05 20:54:39 UTC
+1 I'd love more higher quality competitive PVP/PVE Hybrids, I'm not talking about FW but I'd love FW to be completely changed.
Imiarr Timshae
Funny Men In Funny Hats
#60 - 2013-09-07 10:13:14 UTC
+ 1 for the interesting content. No doubt CCP would make it gutless by they time they tweaked it for deployment but hey ho.