These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

So what about the shield hardener effect?

Author
Yin Utada
Doomheim
#1 - 2011-11-13 20:04:03 UTC
With Incursion, the shield hardener effect was changed from an additional transparent mesh over the regular structure of the ship (like an actual shield), to a lame "skin" shimmer effect. Essentially, a huge downgrade.

Any chance we'll get a new one or maybe the one that was removed, fixed and reintroduced?

Seriously, CCP is the only developer I've ever seen that removes stuff/makes it worse by "improving" from their game instead of adding to it.
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#2 - 2011-11-13 20:05:14 UTC
Yin Utada wrote:

Seriously, CCP is the only developer I've ever seen that removes stuff/makes it worse by "improving" from their game instead of adding to it.

I see you don't play many games.
T' Elk
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2011-11-13 20:08:47 UTC
Yin Utada wrote:

STO, anyone? :P

~Badposter since FOOOOREEEEEVAAAAAR~ I come back after 2 years to THIS? ~Now 4 years apparently

Yin Utada
Doomheim
#4 - 2011-11-13 20:09:15 UTC
T' Elk wrote:
Yin Utada wrote:

STO, anyone? :P

Well, if you can classify that thing as a game...
Yin Utada
Doomheim
#5 - 2011-11-13 21:35:11 UTC
ffs fix
Jodis Talvanen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2011-11-13 22:18:32 UTC
It's an improvement actually, so instread of having this broken unrealistic boxes floating over the ship surface the shield is now on the surface itself just like the armor equivalents. It looks better. Cool
Apollo Gabriel
Kill'em all. Let Bob sort'em out.
Ushra'Khan
#7 - 2011-11-13 23:51:07 UTC
honestly if ccp removed half their effects I'd be happier, they are just random animations anyways that have no theme.
Always ... Never ... Forget to check your references.   Peace out Zulu! Hope you land well!
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#8 - 2011-11-13 23:56:48 UTC
The shield hardeners are they are with the thin glowy membrane look like a WAY better shield then pre-Apocrypha

The Drake is a Lie

Yvan Ratamnim
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2011-11-14 01:32:59 UTC
+1 to this thread, actually having a nice strong shimmer shield effect would be sooo nice...

but then again i'd also like a nice weapon impact on shields effect so that the shields flexed with a white shimmer when they get hit go from transparent to white etc with that lil electric effect in the direction of the hit.... but thats just me
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2011-11-14 01:38:41 UTC
Yvan Ratamnim wrote:
+1 to this thread, actually having a nice strong shimmer shield effect would be sooo nice...

but then again i'd also like a nice weapon impact on shields effect so that the shields flexed with a white shimmer when they get hit go from transparent to white etc with that lil electric effect in the direction of the hit.... but thats just me

all in due time we can only hope, but for now, the server cries when you try to render too many calculations, and i belive this extends to determining angles adn whatnot to render a certain shield effect.
Hetero Black
Aviant Flew
#11 - 2011-11-14 01:59:43 UTC
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Yvan Ratamnim wrote:

all in due time we can only hope, but for now, the server cries when you try to render too many calculations, and i belive this extends to determining angles adn whatnot to render a certain shield effect.

effects have little to no impact on the server, thats all done on the client.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#12 - 2011-11-14 03:03:43 UTC
The art team only has 1 effects artist last I heard about it, it looks like hes done with training so hes doing his best as the next big then on his things to get done list is engine trails.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2011-11-14 03:06:19 UTC
Hetero Black wrote:
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Yvan Ratamnim wrote:

effects have little to no impact on the server, thats all done on the client.

but wouldnt it require the dserver to tel the client what angle that shot is coming from adn whatnot? which WOULD be server traffic? i KNOW all graphical renders are done client side, thats why you cna adjust them in menus, but i was for sure certian that to know what to render where still requires communication from the server saying "yeah, that guy is shooting you from X-angle, or yeah, that guy is using a tracking computer so make the lightbulb efect"
Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#14 - 2011-11-14 03:23:59 UTC
The entire idea of a shield is to have it projected - so having it right on top of the armour does not make sense IMO.

Personally for shields I'd love to see an actual bubble appear around the ship when its shields get hit, star-trek style, and have it scale in relation to the signature radius.
Haulin Aussie
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2011-11-14 04:26:31 UTC
Lol I cant remember the last time I actually looked at my ship primarily in game.

I'm usually split between chats, modules and overview.

Spreadsheets online is a go!
Raven Ether
Doomheim
#16 - 2011-11-14 08:48:50 UTC
Well I hope the only effect artist will not only work on the shield hardener effects, but missile and weapon effects too...

And what about our launchers? I'd like to have actual launchers...
Yvan Ratamnim
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2011-11-16 04:28:59 UTC
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Yvan Ratamnim wrote:

rendering has 0 to do with server, all graphics are done CLIENT SIDE, ship locations and shots being fire'd are already known ... the whole other ships on grid being missed or hits rendering is litterally 1 bit of code network traffic per shot hit or miss as we're already getting the notices to the client that X remote ship shot Y remote ship ....

AAs for shields they REALLY aren't server intensive, we already know if its a hit or miss, and as we're rendering our ship and enemy ship the angle of impact is already known on client side

SO THIS IS ENTIRELY CLIENT RENDERED
Kietay Ayari
Caldari State
#18 - 2011-11-16 04:33:27 UTC
If it is entirely client rendered how does another persons client know to display when your shield hardener is on? Answer: Nothing anyone else can see is client side only. It does have to send data to other people's clients in order to let them know to display the same effect.

Ferox #1

Vincent Gaines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2011-11-16 05:05:21 UTC
Sentient Blade wrote:
The entire idea of a shield is to have it projected - so having it right on top of the armour does not make sense IMO.

Personally for shields I'd love to see an actual bubble appear around the ship when its shields get hit, star-trek style, and have it scale in relation to the signature radius.

I take it you weren't around when hardeners actually were a bubble graphic? It was always on though, and annoying.

Not a diplo. 

The above post was edited for spelling.

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#20 - 2011-11-16 05:17:37 UTC
It saves the client another mesh per ship to download, store and calculate.