These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

New Skill System - Dribbler Proof.

First post
Author
Princess Saskia
Hyperfleet Industries
#1 - 2013-09-03 20:50:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Princess Saskia
Hey guys,

Considering CCP's new approach at making this game new player friendly (Playable by more 12 year old splurging spastics) We have now been introduced to a new way of layout out skills.

Following the new pattern of putting skills that affect fitting into the engineering into an engineering tab ect,, Does it really make sense that skills with different attributes are also in the same tab.

examples:

Weapon Upgrades: Perception Memory
Advanced Weapon Upgrades: Perception Willpower

compared to

CPU Managment: Inteligence Memory

Literaly makes no sense.

Please think about all aspects of the changes you make in future. instead of directly focusing on making the skills system dribbler proof.

Please discuss your grievances below.

♥ 

I Was There
Habemus
#2 - 2013-09-03 20:57:18 UTC
I liked the old one better. It made me feel good, when browsing through all the categories to find the right skill.
Pap Uhotih
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-09-03 21:04:56 UTC
It does help in understanding what the skill will effect which is a plus especially for new players. However I agree that it is a little bit of a mind fornication to try and work out at a glance what you are mapped for. I think in the short term it is helpful but in the mid term I think players may find they have 'lost' skill points through assumptions.
With all of five attributes could Initials or a colour wheel or traffic lights not appear next to the skill to indicate its mapping at a glance.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#4 - 2013-09-03 21:09:58 UTC
god forbid the game should help newbies figure out what's going on
Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-09-03 21:11:10 UTC
Set your attributes flat across the board.

Never worry about what your attributes are ever again.

Bear
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#6 - 2013-09-03 21:11:20 UTC
also please remove 'spastic' from your post it's a hurtful and outdated word
Princess Saskia
Hyperfleet Industries
#7 - 2013-09-03 21:11:26 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:

God forbid they ask someone who knows how the skill system works. Now no one knows where to find x skill off the top of their head.

Communication in an MMO.... NEVER!

♥ 

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-09-03 21:11:42 UTC
I didn't actually notice that, but I've only ever remapped twice anyway. One for drones & whatever else it's optimal for, the second for gunnery/missiles/spaceships

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Unraveller Chase
Unraveller Industries
#9 - 2013-09-03 21:13:37 UTC
If things were that organized the spastic 12 year olds would be too powerful.
Alexander Golitsyn
The Interstellar House of Gruel
#10 - 2013-09-03 21:17:57 UTC
Vets will only be happy if they removed the skillque, and made it so skills to train get picked at random.

otherwise the game is not cold and harsh enough.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#11 - 2013-09-03 21:18:59 UTC
Princess Saskia wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

God forbid they ask someone who knows how the skill system works. Now no one knows where to find x skill off the top of their head.

Communication in an MMO.... NEVER!

sounds like you're having trouble with finding armour skills in the 'armour' category. guess it ain't ~dribblerproof~

complication that doesn't add to gameplay is a wall between newbies and fun, and a detriment to the game
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#12 - 2013-09-03 21:28:58 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:

No it's not, and it's quite accurate when describing average 12 year olds, who are over-excitable, clumsy, and hyperactive.

Maybe you meant the American slang: "Spaz"?

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Delen Ormand
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-09-03 21:31:22 UTC
Princess Saskia wrote:
Hey guys,

Considering CCP's new approach at making this game new player friendly (Playable by more 12 year old splurging spastics) We have now been introduced to a new way of layout out skills.

Following the new pattern of putting skills that affect fitting into the engineering into an engineering tab ect,, Does it really make sense that skills with different attributes are also in the same tab.

examples:

Weapon Upgrades: Perception Memory
Advanced Weapon Upgrades: Perception Willpower

compared to

CPU Managment: Inteligence Memory

Literaly makes no sense.

Please think about all aspects of the changes you make in future. instead of directly focusing on making the skills system dribbler proof.

Please discuss your grievances below.

So... are you having trouble with it?
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#14 - 2013-09-03 21:33:04 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

No it's not, and it's quite accurate when describing average 12 year olds, who are over-excitable, clumsy, and hyperactive.

it's an old word used to describe people with cerebral palsy, but people began using it in a derogatory manner. it's unfairly hurtful.
Rengerel en Distel
#15 - 2013-09-03 21:42:13 UTC
So you'd rather have the Subsets be:
Intelligence & Memory
Memory & Intelligence
etc.

Can see why you're probably not a lead designer of an MMO. Also, the skill changes were one of the first things they discussed about 1.1, so you had months to bring up your concerns.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#16 - 2013-09-03 21:42:38 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

it's an old word used to describe people with cerebral palsy, but people began using it in a derogatory manner. it's unfairly hurtful.

So, you do realize words have different meanings in different lands, and have slang variants?

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#17 - 2013-09-03 21:47:49 UTC
that doesn't excuse its use when you're told it's hurtful
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#18 - 2013-09-03 21:49:53 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

If people with cerebral palsy are indeed being spastic, then the descriptor is accurate. If they are not, then it is not. Do not try and dilute or destroy language merely because a select group attempts to appropriate an otherwise harmless word for their own hurtful uses.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#19 - 2013-09-03 21:55:24 UTC
no-one uses it to desribe people with cerebral palsy anymore, because people had started to use it as an insult. this was twenty years ago. i'm sure you can think of other words that have changed in meaning over the years. language isn't something defined by a dictionary, it is always changing.
Ressiv
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-09-03 22:03:39 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
that doesn't excuse its use when you're told it's hurtful

Bullshit. It hurts a lot of ppl's poow feelings when I deny there are such things as godesses and gods when they try to bestow his blessing onto me ... they have the right to be offended tho .. one of the wonders of free speech .. you can find it distastefull .. but tbh, that's your issue.
123Next page