These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

A new players take on PVP

Author
Lailyana Enaka
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-09-02 07:08:39 UTC
Picture this for one second, youre flying around high sec doing missions when you see a T1 hauler with a kill right attached to em, you dont think of the consequences, youre looking to prove to your corp you can pvp, so you accept the killright and open fire, after a long hull tank he goes down, its your first victory after a string of close yet informative losses. while learning alot from defeat you certainly want to put a "W" up in the Kill column so that feels good

A few Hours later you and a friend decide to go roaming low sec, only one way to learn pvp and that is to pvp, so after eluding what was certainly a trap but just the skin of your teeth, you move deeper into low sec, scanning down a kestrel. at this point adrenline takes over, hearing FC commands in teamspeak becomes second nature, you hit gate jump on contact, the kestrel sees you and starts to book it, ah but you have a 20km warp disrupter, what seems like eternity you get the lock and snatch escape from your targets grasp, and 20 seconds later its all over as bits of what used to be a kestrel fly everhwere in space. Not only did you get a "W" but you managed to get 2 victories, a minor escape and one hell of a adrenaline rush in what is known as EVE pvp.

This story isnt fiction, just an hour ago I scored my second kill with the help of a friend in low sec, a day after i hit a month old, I have a victory to hang my hat on, but it came with extensive training, listening to my FC, and mentors who all helped me down the path of PVP, although this is a small short lived victory it couldnt be sweeter, I am glad I got to experience the rush that 4000 people in CFC and TEST got to experience a few days prior to me getting the trial, now it is time to continue honing this art, and i hope that rush never fades.

"Here's to the crazy ones. The Misfits, The rebels. The Troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. 

Anne McDonald
Sandman are here
#2 - 2013-09-02 07:15:41 UTC
Welcome to the true side of EVE embrace the dark side and let it fuel your actions and your wallet!
Starbuck05
Abiding Ormolus
#3 - 2013-09-02 10:57:43 UTC
Don't forget to type "gf" (good fight) in local,always. Congrats!

Just because i am blond does not make me stoopid !

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-09-02 10:57:46 UTC
don't forget the other side of the pvp coin

you and your 1-4 friends are met by 20+ people at a gate
your locked, jammed, webbed, scrambled, neuted and painted

you can do nothing
except die

don't think 'it won't happen to me' .. because it will, not every time, but often enough that you need to be comfortable with the idea that you will be the victim not the victor.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#5 - 2013-09-02 11:06:16 UTC
Good for you, OP. Keep killing things and losing ships, and always keep learning.
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2013-09-02 11:56:11 UTC
Oh yes, you will meet the big bad blob. However, when facing a big bad blob it's worth remembering one thing:

"Don't panic and carry a Cyno"

(Because once they blob you, it is in your full right to blob them back with a bigger blob. Additionally, the Cynosural Field Generator is, likely, the most useful module invented. Not only it can be used to call in all manners of nasty against your foe, it can also be used to hitch a ride on a friendly Titan and in times of drunken roams when the fleet has long lost all forms of dignity - makes for an amazing disco ball!)

...in any way, it's always nice to see tales of people converted to the side that has cookies.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Ressiv
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-09-02 12:13:49 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
don't forget the other side of the pvp coin

you and your 1-4 friends are met by 20+ people at a gate
your locked, jammed, webbed, scrambled, neuted and painted

you can do nothing
except die

don't think 'it won't happen to me' .. because it will, not every time, but often enough that you need to be comfortable with the idea that you will be the victim not the victor.

..or you use a scout and dont warp to 0 without using it ?
Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-09-02 12:34:54 UTC
Starbuck05 wrote:

While it's usually polite to type "gf" in local, after an obviously one-sided fight / gank that the other side wasn't looking for it's more of a "f*** you".
But yeah, anything that's even remotely fair needs a "gf" afterwards.

OP: Small gang/solo pvp always, in my experience, gets you a better rush. Mostly because it's so up close and personal. In a bigger fight you're just shooting at different boxes on your overview whenever you are given the command to do so. So I'd say your experince was worth more than that 4000-man fight you mentioned.

Glad you've got people who can introduce you to PVP. Makes the learning process a lot nicer.
Hra Neuvosto
Party Cat Enterprises
#9 - 2013-09-02 14:29:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Hra Neuvosto
Typing gf in local shows your enemy that you're an honourable pilot. It's just good manners.

Also, this thread lifted up my mood, gj op.
Yaturi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-09-02 16:27:38 UTC
Also, If you do get ganked be it slightly or embarrassingly bad always respond to their gf's, be it gf back or “nice gank” or what have you. If you leave without hitting local up with anything yourself it seems like youre crying.

It is important to have good local etiquette and this plays into how you smacktalk too. Make sure to smacktalk smartly and always be able to back up your words.
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-09-02 16:36:26 UTC
I was totally not expecting this.

Well done!
Liam Inkuras
Furnace
#12 - 2013-09-02 16:43:43 UTC
Came expecting complaints about how unfair pvp is, left pleasantly surprised. Congrats Pirate

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#13 - 2013-09-02 16:46:40 UTC
OP hasn't engaged in PVP yet, ganking is not pvp. Lol
Please get back to us when you find something that shoots back....

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#14 - 2013-09-02 16:52:26 UTC
Yaturi wrote:
Also, If you do get ganked be it slightly or embarrassingly bad always respond to their gf's, be it gf back or “nice gank” or what have you. If you leave without hitting local up with anything yourself it seems like youre crying.

except in wormhole space. say nothing. winner or loser. say nothing.

closed mouth catches no flies.
KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#15 - 2013-09-02 16:52:53 UTC
Good post, OP. Glad to see someone enjoys the game and doesn't complain through 80 pages of comments how this or that should get nerfed or buffed or whatever.

It was like a fresh breeze to mah privates. Thank you.

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-09-02 18:45:47 UTC
Starbuck05 wrote:

This means "good fight"? Man, I always thought it was my victims raging at me telling me to "get ******".

Disappointed Sad

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Lailyana Enaka
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-09-02 20:00:03 UTC
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
OP hasn't engaged in PVP yet, ganking is not pvp. Lol
Please get back to us when you find something that shoots back....

Oh the kestrel shot back, it was actually a really good fight, prior to that i had another fight with a frig (cant remember the type other then it was gallente) at an activation gate, he pointed me, i pointed him, opened fire started kiting, he dropped his point on me as I hit structure by accident (i know this becasue we extensively talked after the fight) and i was able to warp away and repair up leading to the kestrel victory :)

"Here's to the crazy ones. The Misfits, The rebels. The Troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. 

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#18 - 2013-09-02 20:02:15 UTC
Lailyana Enaka wrote:
Picture this for one second, youre flying around high sec doing missions when you see a T1 hauler with a kill right attached to em, you dont think of the consequences, youre looking to prove to your corp you can pvp, so you accept the killright and open fire, after a long hull tank he goes down, its your first victory after a string of close yet informative losses. while learning alot from defeat you certainly want to put a "W" up in the Kill column so that feels good

A few Hours later you and a friend decide to go roaming low sec, only one way to learn pvp and that is to pvp, so after eluding what was certainly a trap but just the skin of your teeth, you move deeper into low sec, scanning down a kestrel. at this point adrenline takes over, hearing FC commands in teamspeak becomes second nature, you hit gate jump on contact, the kestrel sees you and starts to book it, ah but you have a 20km warp disrupter, what seems like eternity you get the lock and snatch escape from your targets grasp, and 20 seconds later its all over as bits of what used to be a kestrel fly everhwere in space. Not only did you get a "W" but you managed to get 2 victories, a minor escape and one hell of a adrenaline rush in what is known as EVE pvp.

This story isnt fiction, just an hour ago I scored my second kill with the help of a friend in low sec, a day after i hit a month old, I have a victory to hang my hat on, but it came with extensive training, listening to my FC, and mentors who all helped me down the path of PVP, although this is a small short lived victory it couldnt be sweeter, I am glad I got to experience the rush that 4000 people in CFC and TEST got to experience a few days prior to me getting the trial, now it is time to continue honing this art, and i hope that rush never fades.

don't get too good at it, cause then they start giving you ****... the true nature of eve will unfold where the frustration of those you killed hit you like a sledgehammer
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#19 - 2013-09-02 20:05:40 UTC
Bischopt wrote:
OP: Small gang/solo pvp always, in my experience, gets you a better rush. Mostly because it's so up close and personal. In a bigger fight you're just shooting at different boxes on your overview whenever you are given the command to do so. So I'd say your experince was worth more than that 4000-man fight you mentioned.

Glad you've got people who can introduce you to PVP. Makes the learning process a lot nicer.

Depends. Nothing touches fighting for a reason. Defending a region against odds stacked against you successfully is a lot more satisfying than a 1v2 you win. When your 500 man fleet finds itself facing 700 + a blob of titans, and you get them to retreat, trust me that feeling is a whoooooole lot better.
Lailyana Enaka
State War Academy
Caldari State
#20 - 2013-09-03 19:03:35 UTC
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Bischopt wrote:

Depends. Nothing touches fighting for a reason. Defending a region against odds stacked against you successfully is a lot more satisfying than a 1v2 you win. When your 500 man fleet finds itself facing 700 + a blob of titans, and you get them to retreat, trust me that feeling is a whoooooole lot better.

I think Youre absolutley right, escaping when all hope seems lost is as big of a rush as getting a killmail. I am enjoying small gang/fleet pvp at the moment I will be happier when i can randomly roam low sec by my self and get a killmail, but I will always love small gang/fleet pvp

12Next page