These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PI - Upgradeable Industry Facilites

Author
Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#1 - 2013-08-30 16:39:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Sten Taxi
Currently setting up a PI production chain is very much anti-fun, i think its hard to get around it being boring but we can atleast try minimize the amount of frustration caused by the current ingame mechanics when doing this. To do this i propose that industry facilites (Basic Industry Facility, Advanced Industry Facility and High-Tech Production Planet) to be upgradable in a similar way to command centers. This would make setting up PI a less enervating process.

Math Example:

I run 13 alts doing PI, 5 planets on each character totaling up to 65 planets.

On each character i run 4 "resource planets" and 1 "factory planet". Total 52 Resource Planets and 13 Factory Planets.

To setup a production planet i must create 9 basic industry facility (BIF) and 9 links to go with that, a BIF uses up 2 clicks (mouse licks), a link is 4 clicks. then i must select what i want to make in the facility and route that to the launch pad 6 clicks last i have to route the p0 into the factory 5 clicks. So one factory requires 2+4+6+5=17 clicks. Make that 9 factories and 52 planets and i need to do 7956 clicks to setup my PI resource planets.

Factory planets are worse, i have 20 Advanced factories on each planet. Each factory takes 2 clicks and then 4 for the link, chosing what to make is again 6 and now i have to route two materials into the factory for a total of 10 clicks. Putting each factory at 2+4+6+10=22 clicks. 22 clicks, 20 factories, 13 planets equals 5720 clicks for the factory planets.

Total: 13676 Mindnumbing mouse clicks to setup my PI chain.

If factories were scalable i think this number could be 1/10 of what it is now, resulting in much less enervating gameplay. I realize that i am in the extreme end of PI setup but i think the change would be appreciated by anyone who engages in PI.

Sorry in advance for gramatical errors english is not my first language.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#2 - 2013-08-30 16:54:57 UTC
And you will do that setup exactly how often ?

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#3 - 2013-08-30 16:58:34 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
And you will do that setup exactly how often ?

I will do it again in 2 months. But that is beside the point. It's anti-fun gameplay
Ginger Barbarella
#4 - 2013-08-30 21:01:19 UTC
If it's "anti-fun" to you, don't do it. Problem solved. Nobody is holding a gun to your mouse.

I don't have any issues with it (aside from materials deleting too rapidly), and use it to make materials necessary for my Industrial efforts. If you need constant anti-thought stimulation, try Exploration and the inane awesome clicky-clicky mini-game that CCP has graced us with. Great fun, or so I hear.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Antony E Stark
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-08-30 21:02:22 UTC
Once its done, its done. Think of it as your time investment.
Also, probably due to the way its setup and configurable it has to be this way to give flexibility. Sure it could be optimised but is it worth ccps time to rewrite a system that's already in place and does the job.
Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#6 - 2013-08-31 00:37:35 UTC
Ginger Barbarella wrote:
If it's "anti-fun" to you, don't do it. Problem solved. Nobody is holding a gun to your mouse.

I don't have any issues with it (aside from materials deleting too rapidly), and use it to make materials necessary for my Industrial efforts. If you need constant anti-thought stimulation, try Exploration and the inane awesome clicky-clicky mini-game that CCP has graced us with. Great fun, or so I hear.

I'm sorry i dont understand what you are trying to say, first you say i should stop doing it because i dont like doing 13k clicks to setup my PI chain, then you tell me to go do exploration cos of the exessive amount of clicking.

You also claim that i crave "anti-thought stimulation" i put alot of effort into my setup of my planets, like i said i use 65 planets. It's the mindless clicking that bothers me.

My point is, alot of people do PI for some nice passive income. Setting up PI is just a tedious task, why does it need to be? Better make it less so people will enjoy playing the game instead of being tied up clicking routing stuff in PI.
Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#7 - 2013-08-31 00:39:58 UTC
Antony E Stark wrote:
Once its done, its done. Think of it as your time investment.
Also, probably due to the way its setup and configurable it has to be this way to give flexibility. Sure it could be optimised but is it worth ccps time to rewrite a system that's already in place and does the job.

Alot of people do PI, so this change would affect a large part of the playerbase and i don't think it would be that hard for CCP to implement it.

Regarding the flexibility, im not saying you shouldn't be able to use multiple factories if you wish to do so, simply that you should be able to upgrade factories so that you wouldnt have to do routing for every single factory if you use them all for the same task.
Nimael Gaterau
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-08-31 11:31:13 UTC
If you could select processors in multiples with ctrl, select a scheme and then route it all to the same storage it would be epic. Add holding down ctrl when clicking on an end point for a new route to continue copying the route. You could then...

Place and link processors and storage. Select all processors with ctrl and set the scheme + route the output in a couple of clicks. Select a storage and materials to route and then click each processor while holding down ctrl.

Probably too much to ask for but would really cut down on the clicking.
Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#9 - 2013-08-31 12:27:37 UTC
Nimael Gaterau wrote:
If you could select processors in multiples with ctrl, select a scheme and then route it all to the same storage it would be epic. Add holding down ctrl when clicking on an end point for a new route to continue copying the route. You could then...

Place and link processors and storage. Select all processors with ctrl and set the scheme + route the output in a couple of clicks. Select a storage and materials to route and then click each processor while holding down ctrl.

Probably too much to ask for but would really cut down on the clicking.

Yeah this is also a perfectly viable option
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#10 - 2013-08-31 13:33:49 UTC
Sorry, but we are just perceiving whinging (whining) about something with hardly a complaint in it's over 3 years of existence.

If you are having to move that setup every 2 months you are doing something wrong.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#11 - 2013-08-31 15:37:32 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Sorry, but we are just perceiving whinging (whining) about something with hardly a complaint in it's over 3 years of existence.

If you are having to move that setup every 2 months you are doing something wrong.

All this negativity.. I'm just putting forward a soloution to elimiate a tedious element of the game, a simple fix to decrease the frustration that setting up PI can generate. Try giving some constructive critisicm instead.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#12 - 2013-08-31 16:18:09 UTC
They are not going to change the way this is done just to please one player.

Post constructively.

Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#13 - 2013-08-31 16:26:44 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
They are not going to change the way this is done just to please one player.

Post constructively.

How large a portion of the playerbase engage in PI? Probably 10-25%. With a playerbase of 500k, we are talking about 50k-125k players. If your argument is "well it's already setup so why bother", then you don't think very far. The current system of PI is in general good, There probably wont be an overhaul for many years. How many PI chains will be setup during the next 5 years with 50k players doing it?

Post constructively.
Trance Virtemtitia
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2013-09-03 05:27:41 UTC
I agree with the author, PI needs a look-over.

First of all:
- not being able to hold ctrl down for multiple deployment of any structure, is just sloppiness!
- Another thing thats done very sloppy, is the fact that when routing materials from launchpads or storage facilities, doubble-clicking doesnt help you route the materials as it does with processors and extractors, it gives you info on the material !

When thats said, I think it is fair to make PI a somewhat pain in the ass, as it should cost you something to make that much profit, rather easy. But thers no need to be stupid about it, the above mentioned should really be fixed in my opinion.
Oska Rus
Free Ice Cream People
#15 - 2013-09-03 11:33:45 UTC
Also routing resources is super dull. PI¨would be much streamlined by some sort of autoroute function.
Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#16 - 2013-09-03 16:21:15 UTC
Oska Rus wrote:
Also routing resources is super dull. PI¨would be much streamlined by some sort of autoroute function.

Hmm, an option "Autoroute with closest launchpad" would be very nifty indeed
Andrew Indy
Cleaning Crew
#17 - 2013-09-06 08:52:32 UTC
Sten Taxi wrote:
Oska Rus wrote:

Then all the people who have crazy multi launch pad setup complaining that they are broken :)
Sten Taxi
Bees Nutz
Unlimited Epiphany
#18 - 2013-09-06 15:13:04 UTC
Andrew Indy wrote:
Sten Taxi wrote:
Oska Rus wrote:

Then all the people who have crazy multi launch pad setup complaining that they are broken :)

You would still be able to use the current routing system to your heart's content
Invictra Atreides
Toward the Terra
#19 - 2013-09-06 18:42:45 UTC
PI does need some love. Mainly the UI needs to be fixed in some places(Link upgrade?).

I would like a Snap to grid option when moving structures.

BlogTutorials | Youtube "I don’t know everything, I just know what I know."