These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Awoxing, Gankery, and other Subterfuge

First post
Author
Leon Moul
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-08-29 21:07:26 UTC
A few questions regarding the mechanics behind intra-corporate sneakery for those that may be experienced:

1. If I join a corporation that is part of an official alliance, are fellow alliance members free to strike in the same manner that fellow corp mates are? I know I can kill a corp member without concorde interference in high sec. Does the same apply to alliance members?

2. Fleet mechanics. Does fleet formation change anything in regard to "legality" of strikes in high sec from a Concorde perspective. From what I understand being in a fleet offers no sort of advantage or disadvantage. Is this correct?

3. Ganking.. do most folks do this with T1 guns and modules? What sort of DPS am I looking for here for a suicide gank of a industrial or mining vessel?

4. Any tips related to infiltration, sublimation, or any other dastardly behaviors from the darker side of Eve?

I could use a few blogs, websites, or other resources related to scamming, spying, and ganking that may offer further fits, tips, and scenarios.

Thank you
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-08-29 21:39:44 UTC
1) The same does not apply to appliance mates.
2) Being in fleet does not change the legality of targets.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#3 - 2013-08-29 22:10:09 UTC
3: Depends what you're Ganking. Small stuff, generally not. Big stuff, quite often, as the price is negligable. You're looking for DPS capable of destroying the target vessel before concord turns up. Often done by Alpha so the actual DPS isn't important due to the front loading. But Blaster Talos/Naga are also very popular.

4: I wouldn't possibly refer you to Psychotic Monk's safari guide. ( http://belligerentundesirables.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/psychotic-monks-safari-guide-v3/ )

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#4 - 2013-08-30 00:53:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Leon Moul wrote:

3. Ganking.. do most folks do this with T1 guns and modules? What sort of DPS am I looking for here for a suicide gank of a industrial or mining vessel?

Depends on what you're ganking, mining ships and T1 industrials can be taken down with a few cheap Catalysts or Thrashers. If you're planning on solo work the cost goes up.

Minerbumping is a pretty good source of information for skills and game mechanics with regards to suicide ganking mining vessels, some of it is rhetoric and role play specific to the New Order, which while amusing, isn't overly important for your purposes. Psychotic Monks blog, as linked by Dave, is also pretty handy.

Catalysts are currently the best bang for buck if you're doing it on the cheap, you can find some example fits here and here

The darkside has cookies, enjoy.

edit - some more links for your entertainment

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Don Purple
Snuggle Society
Belligerent Undesirables
#5 - 2013-08-30 08:28:03 UTC
4. With this aspect on eve I usually start with a clean API but I am the paranoid type. After you clear a background check and you are in make some friends be that guy people like, if you are playing the noob card don't be too annoying and pick up on things fast but not too fast. Make some dumb mistakes, things that you know you would never do but might be acceptable and common as a newer player. I rather enjoy going out an joining a mining corp and being a great member donate whatever ridiculous amount of ore they think they need, go along with their silly things. I've sent my guys out to go gank myself without them knowing it then I rage in corp chat about what happened to my miner "friends" and how to fix it. This usually goes along with the ceo or some fool director trying to help me out and give me stuff.

Going further.

Take over some leadership aspect, maybe recruiting and bring in more of your friends from your darker side and you can all be good members of the corp. After this you are a successful recruiter and can show good leadership through your "new" pilots. Maybe you get director maybe you don't, If you feel you have hit the end of your career advancement next big mining op they have with their nice orca and freighter you bring your "recruits" out and wipe everything out.

Collect tears for fuel. Twisted

I am just here to snuggle and do spy stuff.

Leon Moul
Doomheim
#6 - 2013-08-30 11:00:42 UTC
I am after ISK primarily. Tears may feed some, I just want their shinies.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#7 - 2013-08-30 14:30:23 UTC
Leon Moul wrote:
1. If I join a corporation that is part of an official alliance, are fellow alliance members free to strike in the same manner that fellow corp mates are? I know I can kill a corp member without concorde interference in high sec. Does the same apply to alliance members?

Nope. However, an alliance member likely will be less suspicious of you if you're in the same alliance.

Leon Moul wrote:
2. Fleet mechanics. Does fleet formation change anything in regard to "legality" of strikes in high sec from a Concorde perspective. From what I understand being in a fleet offers no sort of advantage or disadvantage. Is this correct?

Correct. Fleeting has absolutely no bearing on aggression or legality mechanics.

Leon Moul wrote:

Depends. Both T1 and T2 have their place. With enough people, T1 is worth it, but to mitigate low numbers of people, you may have to use T2 gear.

Leon Moul wrote:
4. Any tips related to infiltration, sublimation, or any other dastardly behaviors from the darker side of Eve?

If you talk to the right people, they'll let you be a forum mod! Twisted

Shh, it's a secret.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Courath Al'viendi
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2013-08-30 19:56:17 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
[quote=Leon Moul]]
If you talk to the right people, they'll let you be a forum mod! Twisted

Shh, it's a secret.

Cookies?
Ogi Talvanen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-08-31 11:33:55 UTC
Don Purple wrote:
4. With this aspect on eve I usually start with a clean API but I am the paranoid type. After you clear a background check and you are in make some friends be that guy people like, if you are playing the noob card don't be too annoying and pick up on things fast but not too fast. Make some dumb mistakes, things that you know you would never do but might be acceptable and common as a newer player. I rather enjoy going out an joining a mining corp and being a great member donate whatever ridiculous amount of ore they think they need, go along with their silly things. I've sent my guys out to go gank myself without them knowing it then I rage in corp chat about what happened to my miner "friends" and how to fix it. This usually goes along with the ceo or some fool director trying to help me out and give me stuff.

Going further.

Take over some leadership aspect, maybe recruiting and bring in more of your friends from your darker side and you can all be good members of the corp. After this you are a successful recruiter and can show good leadership through your "new" pilots. Maybe you get director maybe you don't, If you feel you have hit the end of your career advancement next big mining op they have with their nice orca and freighter you bring your "recruits" out and wipe everything out.

I am shocked and appalled sir.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#10 - 2013-08-31 11:41:17 UTC
Ogi Talvanen wrote:
Don Purple wrote:

Going further.

I am shocked and appalled sir.

High praise indeed P

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack