These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Improvements to the fitting window

First post First post
Author
Embrodak Kazerin
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#101 - 2011-11-10 22:22:56 UTC
This is a good change, but might I suggest a few other things while you're at it?

• Assume damage controls and hardeners are activated. It already assumes everything is turned on when calculating cap stability, so why not do the same when calculating resists and EHP?
  • Alternatively, and active/inactive toggle for each slot would be nice.
  • Show missile range. This isn't calculated anywhere as far as I can tell, and it's a very important piece of information.
  • Show gun tracking, optimal, and falloff. You can see this now, but it requires mousing over a turret, clicking the tiny info button, closing the window and clicking the other tiny info button because you got the charge info by mistake, then scrolling several times through the randomly-ordered list of attributes until you find what you want. If a player has more than one type of gun equipped for some reason, you can just show whichever values are worst.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#102 - 2011-11-11 00:46:19 UTC
CCP Optimal wrote:
Kaaban Solanis wrote:
Wow! Looks nice! Good work! But i think you should correct the targetting range down to meters.
Looks like that thing can target 56250 km. Would maybe be a bit far. Lol

Yes, we're increasing the targeting range of all ships by a factor of 1000. Forgot to mention that in the blog.

I really shouldn't do this, but I am sucker for bad puns, I can't resist.

Would this increase in range count as increased Optimal?

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#103 - 2011-11-11 01:27:15 UTC
Aerieth wrote:
I stopped reading the forum comments to Dev Blogs a long time ago because I was tired of reading the Dev Blog and thinking "Yay that sounds exciting" then reading the forums and coming away with a feeling of negativity as the complaints surmounted.

So when I read this Dev Blog I thought ... man I have to go check the comments there is no way someone would complain about finally being able to see their DPS ... and as I am reading these comments I am realizing the impossibility I was expecting. Thank you EVE community.

We don't care what they say, we care what they do. As for now, nothing at all has improved since the Incarna release, and rarely much the last two years.

You're welcome.

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Will DestroyYou
#104 - 2011-11-11 02:19:40 UTC
Meh. You can't even fix the current bugs!!!

How many times must I report this bug? It has been months. Every single fracking time I add ammo to my *empty* grouped guns in station I get 1 to 5 of these stupid popups...

Sick to death of wasting my time clicking them repeatedly.

If container = weapon skip sending error message... Is it really that hard???

There should be no case where a weapon needs to report that it is full as an error popup. In fact, unless it is a critical error, or requires a yes/no decision, we "the players", don't really want popups for any messages at all... use local chat window?????
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2011-11-11 02:20:14 UTC
Misanth wrote:
Aerieth wrote:
I stopped reading the forum comments to Dev Blogs a long time ago because I was tired of reading the Dev Blog and thinking "Yay that sounds exciting" then reading the forums and coming away with a feeling of negativity as the complaints surmounted.

So when I read this Dev Blog I thought ... man I have to go check the comments there is no way someone would complain about finally being able to see their DPS ... and as I am reading these comments I am realizing the impossibility I was expecting. Thank you EVE community.

We don't care what they say, we care what they do. As for now, nothing at all has improved since the Incarna release, and rarely much the last two years.

You're welcome.

What they are doing can be seen from changes that are already on singularity. They have done a lot, some of which they never said they would do until after it was discovered there. They have proof. It's true they could stop and not move it to TQ, but that would benefit no one, and further hurt CCP. The refusal of some posters to recognize this is probably the source of Aerieth's complaint.
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#106 - 2011-11-11 03:24:39 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
What they are doing can be seen from changes that are already on singularity. They have done a lot, some of which they never said they would do until after it was discovered there. They have proof. It's true they could stop and not move it to TQ, but that would benefit no one, and further hurt CCP. The refusal of some posters to recognize this is probably the source of Aerieth's complaint.

As I said, nothing of this is in the game yet. What's on SiSi is not what's on TQ. And the fact CCP took years and years to even look at this, and the fact CCP lied to us before, and the fact CCP talk crap about their customers both internally, and externally, and the fact that CCP likes to present gamebreaking changes to media and/or on gameconventions rather than to their customers first, and the fact that CCP choses to use CSM occationally for their propaganda purposes - but other times completely ignore them (and thus makes the CSM a useless big pile of wasted resources, a scam, a lie and an insult), and the really horrible iteration in this game (takes years to fixes bugs), and the fact that CCP balances the game on nullsec blobs and thus completely kill all smallscale and/or possibly non-laggy fun PvP, well all of this kinda adds up to not trusting this company. At all. And it's questionable if we should give them any positive feedback for anything that is not currently, you know, in the game yet.

But yes, CCP have stepped up and added alot of things to SiSi, been active in their blogs etc recently. But if you see through what they really do, it's alot of populistic small things, no major fixes to the game.
* The new bc's ain't really needed, more a 'fun' thing, we still have tier1 bc's that could need a look at, and command ships as a whole for certain.
* Supercaps and caps have been "fixed" to please the masses, but the changes are not what's needed. It just promotes blobbing even more, ruins nullsec for smaller entities even further, and the changes that was made to supercaps (increasing their survivability was a major concern) originally was completely ignored. The damage (the real issue) was not addressed, but instead their survivability (completely wrong issue) was "fixed".
* Hybrids needed a look at, mainly because rails are never used. Gallente is all about blasters, and Caldari don't use their hybrid-ships (more or less). Blasters already do fine, in smaller scale combat, and in bigger scale people really need longer range (rail) so they are using wrong ships when they use blasters. Instead, CCP take a populistic choice and try make blasters streamlined for big scale combat, rather than actually fix what's broken (rails). More blob incentitives too, yay!
* Adding dmg to the fitting screen is "nice", but nothing that will actually help (it lacks the utilities that we really need to make it a viable tool, damage types, comparison vs ship moving etc). It's a cool feature, but nothing needed. Populistic.
* The POS changes will make it less annoying for POS fueling, but doesn't fix any of the issues (roles, setups etc) that has been highlighted for years. Populistic.

You see where I'm getting? CCP deserves alot of smack for being horribly run for years and years. Add in their horrible customer treatment recent years, and they have alot of owing up to do. When they stop doing populistic additions and actually iterate on this game, stop adding useless crap, and don't treat us like idiots but instead valuable customers.. well then I will go back to telling my friend how awsome this game is. It used to be. But now I'm embarrassed to say I play it.

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2011-11-11 04:19:24 UTC
Misanth wrote:
Wall-o-words

I don't disagree completely with your main point, but I don't think holding it over CCP helps either them or the players. I also recognize the element of time is limiting what can be done for THIS expansion. Depending on the amount of resources being shuffled around there is probably a great deal going on that we can't which limits what can come out this winter. not that they don't deserve criticism for the prolonged failure to properly tend to their product, but being unconstructive and forever mocking them with that meme gets nothing done. I remain cautiously optimistic at this time.
Ender Sai
Perkone
Caldari State
#108 - 2011-11-11 10:34:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Ender Sai
Well I'm happy.

I think it is silly to get detailed on the DPS display, really all we need to so see is numbers change when we add new mods/rigs/guns/slaves.

Range for missiles and the like would be nice (but actually, add this to the tactical view please).

I don't know if you guys have any changes planned for that as well.... :pinkymouth:
Cedar Locus
Fleet 2 die
#109 - 2011-11-11 11:03:28 UTC
awesome!

thank you CCP
minuseb
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#110 - 2011-11-11 14:29:48 UTC
can you make it that you can have a dedicated station container lets say named "FITINGS" and in this you keep stuff that is to be fitted on your ships?
and whenever you strip a ship everything goes on this container
also when you choose to fit to the ship a saved fit then everything gets loaded from that container
this would help with organising stuff on stations, as now everything is dumped or loaded from the station floor
ty
Manc
Fraternity Alliance Please Ignore
#111 - 2011-11-11 15:21:37 UTC
The armour tank per second on my fitting window didn't take into account gang linking on SISI. This works fine on Tranquility.
Anne Algesic
Pain Delivery.
#112 - 2011-11-11 16:55:34 UTC
If you're going to change PG and CPU to show remaining instead of used, then the same needs to be done for Calibration. Otherwise it's just confusing.
Caldari 5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. S.A.S
Affirmative.
#113 - 2011-11-13 13:25:18 UTC
Quote:
CPU and Power grid values displaying the remaining amount rather than used amount

UM? Why are you doing this? All other progress/usage indicators in Eve list the used amount not the free amount.

+1 for the Export to Clipboard Idea
+1 for the Volley Listing
+1 for Active Resistance Mods to have effect on values
+1 for more Server side fittings/Unlimited Local Fittings Tab
+1 for Missile Range on Tactical Overview(same as turrets)
Panhead4411
Rothschild's Sewage and Septic Sucking Services
The Possum Lodge
#114 - 2011-11-13 15:48:15 UTC
Embrodak Kazerin wrote:
This is a good change, but might I suggest a few other things while you're at it?

• Assume damage controls and hardeners are activated. It already assumes everything is turned on when calculating cap stability, so why not do the same when calculating resists and EHP?
  • Alternatively, and active/inactive toggle for each slot would be nice.

^This.

Otherwise, if i'll still have to use EFT or other program to tell me what my ship is actually capable of, then the new fitting screen (albeit slightly more helpful) is still useless...

http://blog.beyondreality.se/shift-click-does-nothing    < Unified Inventory is NOT ready...

Angeliena
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#115 - 2011-11-13 17:48:45 UTC
Keep up the good work CCP Guard!
Marielle Toralen
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#116 - 2011-11-13 21:16:34 UTC
A small improvement - could you have numbers hover near each mod, showing what percentage of cpu/grid they use? This would allow us to easily identify mods that are problematic on tight fittings, so they could be swapped out for variant types.
Xenial Jesse Taalo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#117 - 2011-11-13 23:30:09 UTC
· Powergrid and CPU now count down as you fit modules.
· But calibration still counts up.

Cargo space and drone bay space values should be left as they are, counting up, because how much stuff we have has just as much meaning as how much more we can fit.

Calibration however should count down like power and CPU, because just like power and CPU the quantity of calibration used has no meaning apart from how much remains.

When fitting modules on ships that have fitting bonuses (Cloaking device II, Stealth Bombers, etc) can it be fixed so that the preview figures displayed in the fitting window upon mouse-over are actually correct and take those bonuses into account? As it is, the preview figures for the Cloak II module can only ever be false.

As others have mentioned, can we throw away most of the bloated error popups.
· Pointless error message for simply loading ammo.
· Pointless error message for simply repositioning, not adding, turrets on a ship that can't hold more turrets.

Other good suggestions in this thread. There are a lot of ways the fittings window could improve.

Spyres
Falsify Holdings
#118 - 2011-11-14 00:00:24 UTC
Winter is coming hurrhurrr
Daedra Blue
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#119 - 2011-11-14 11:17:45 UTC
Real Time DPS meeter please. Something that adds up our dmg from the log and displays it on the HUD somewhere. Also be able to change interval for example.

Show average DPS in : 5s, 10s, 15s, 30s, 60s, Total. This will show real dps during a fight and it will take into account everything from range, glancing, resists and so on.

Since it's from the log we could also have something that shows incoming DPS. Maybe get a clearer sight earlier of when to GTFO.
Gabriel Karade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#120 - 2011-11-15 07:41:45 UTC
I've never actually understood myself why, so many players have difficulty clicking 'show info', multiplying three numbers and dividing by a fourth, but whatever P

War Machine: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=386293