These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Tribute Firework Event for Vile Rat

Author
Galaxy Android
X-Prot
RouchNecks.
#1 - 2013-08-28 19:38:09 UTC
Text of a Petition i created today:

Hello,
EVE Online is known for its awesome community.
This is a petition to create a special event for the former member of the Council of Stellar Management Vile Rat aka Sean Smith who touched so many lives in the EVE Universe. He is a victim of the U.S. Consulate attack in Benghazi on 11 September 2012. In honor for him, i think, it would be a great idea to create a "Tribute Firework Event" in Jita on 11 September 2013. There should be an announcement and like 400 free Rockets for every EvE Player to honor him in a big event.

What do you guys think about it?

Gealbhan
Temeraria Praedonum
Catastrophic Experiment
#2 - 2013-08-28 19:46:43 UTC
Galaxy Android wrote:

Hello,
This is a petition to create a special event for the former member of the Council of Stellar Management Vile Rat aka Sean Smith who touched so many lives in the EVE Universe. He is a victim of the U.S. Consulate attack in Benghazi on 11 September 2012. In honor for him, i think, it would be a great idea to create a "Tribute Firework Event" in Jita on 11 September 2013. There should be an announcement and like 400 free Rockets for every EvE Player to honor him in a big event.

Ok, this is not a troll but I had to google Vile Rat before I knew who you were talking about. never heard of him before that. I guess you have to care about the CSM first.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#3 - 2013-08-28 19:51:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
I'd suggest posting in the Jita Park or Assembly Hall areaa.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Azami Nevinyrall
#4 - 2013-08-28 20:01:33 UTC
This is a very touchy subject.

If something wasn't done by now, it will prolly not happen.

For several reasons.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2013-08-28 20:05:04 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
I still tell Vile Rat every time I shoot a blue. We all have our own little ways of remembering him.
Ikini Senira
Doomheim
#6 - 2013-08-28 20:14:25 UTC
Sorry, but i think there nothing special about him. Every man die in wars. Respect all men equally who have died in war.
Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2013-08-28 20:52:30 UTC
Honestly? No.

It really isn't CCP's place to give special recognition to one player over another. The tributes made last year after Sean's death were entirely player driven, CCP appropriately stayed out of it. If CCP create an 'official' tribute event they open up a gigantic can of worms unless they're prepared to do the same for every other Eve player who dies (and with 400k or so subscriptions, that's a lot of players).

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#8 - 2013-08-28 21:01:26 UTC
He died. We cried. We remember. Just let him rest.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Eraza
Fuzzyness Enterprizes
#9 - 2013-08-28 21:04:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Eraza
even though there is a difference between regular soldiers, and someone we knew,
it's not CCP's to decide, it IS a rather touchy subject, it might not be wise for CCP to decide anything one way or another on this

that said, this probably should have been posted in the event forums instead of general,
and as this is a touchy subject, you would have more luck trying to organize the event yourself,
CCP, as a group, can easily get in trouble for deciding on this one way OR the other
Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-08-28 21:08:32 UTC
Azami Nevinyrall wrote:

For several reasons.

I hope Glenn Beck is one of the reasons.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Azami Nevinyrall
#11 - 2013-08-28 21:37:14 UTC
Rhes wrote:
Azami Nevinyrall wrote:

For several reasons.

I hope Glenn Beck is one of the reasons.

Actually this guy said it better then I could've...

Scatim Helicon wrote:
Honestly? No.

It really isn't CCP's place to give special recognition to one player over another. The tributes made last year after Sean's death were entirely player driven, CCP appropriately stayed out of it. If CCP create an 'official' tribute event they open up a gigantic can of worms unless they're prepared to do the same for every other Eve player who dies (and with 400k or so subscriptions, that's a lot of players).

Na Und
Galactronics
#12 - 2013-08-28 21:47:54 UTC
Sadly, I agree with the posts that say nothing special should be done. If anything, those who knew Vile Rat should do something that Vile Rat would have done himself, in his honor.

Don't know if he personally ganked n00bs, but if he did, ganking one would be appropriate. (Just for example).
Myriad Blaze
Common Sense Ltd
Nulli Secunda
#13 - 2013-08-28 22:06:05 UTC
Galaxy Android wrote:

Hello,

Of course you could put some effort and resources into this and organize such an event yourself instead of asking CCP for free stuff. In Jita you will find fireworks and festival launchers in huge numbers. And I bet other trade hubs are well stocked, too.
And guess what. Using your own time and spending some of your own ISK to make such an event happen, would actually show a lot better that you really appreciated Vile Rat, than firing some firework rockets that you got for free.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2013-08-28 23:39:22 UTC
Lots of players die, for lots of reasons.

Asking CCP to do it isn't right.
They can't just put one guy above all the others.

If you want an event, create it yourself.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#15 - 2013-08-28 23:59:50 UTC
There doesn't need to be an event.

Shoot Blues, Tell Vile Rat.

In that, he can be remembered always.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Phil Defer
Doomheim
#16 - 2013-08-29 00:00:16 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Honestly? No.

THIS !
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-08-29 00:27:47 UTC
No, for the reasons stated by Scatim.

Also we aren't TEST. We don't celebrate the deaths of our friends with a fireworks display, although our blue's should probably keep an eye on d-scan.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Mr. Orange
Band of Freelancers
#18 - 2013-08-29 03:23:16 UTC
Galaxy Android wrote:

Hello,

Nope.

Arrange it yourself, leave CCP out of it.
Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-08-29 06:58:31 UTC
Ikini Senira wrote:
Sorry, but i think there nothing special about him. Every man die in wars. Respect all men equally who have died in war.

I came to play EVE Online, when I read an article about him. People, in EVE were amazed at his diplomatic skills, in building alliances, and brokering peace agreements and the like - in game. It turned out that he did that stuff in real life. He happened to be in Bengazhi at the time, and was killed. The impact it had on EVE Online was tremendous. He was a famous and revered player. Maybe there should be a monument of his toon with a plaque. Somewhere in an obscure corner of Null Sec, or put it somewhere in the new sections of space when the galaxy gets expanded.

I'm for the fireworks display.

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Tara Read
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#20 - 2013-08-29 07:04:38 UTC
No. It calls into the issue politics, the way he died as well as placing recognition of one player over others. There are many whom serve abroad. Heck there's even a member of SC who is on deployment as we speak. If you want something make it player driven. Otherwise let CCP be and let them work on the myriad of other issues this game needs.
12Next page