These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why pay rent to live in Null Sec.

Author
Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2013-08-29 05:05:34 UTC
Excellent quintuple post.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Donbe Scurred
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2013-08-29 05:13:11 UTC
As a renter, would part of the agreement be protection from those scary AFK clockers I was reading about in that other thread?Big smile
Leigh Akiga
Kuhri Innovations
#23 - 2013-08-29 05:22:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Leigh Akiga
Donbe Scurred wrote:
As a renter, would part of the agreement be protection from those scary AFK clockers I was reading about in that other thread?Big smile

Nobody can protect anyone from an AFK cloaker because they are AFK and cloaked you see?

Landlords may send people to deal with a hardcore gang in your area but there are no agreements to do so. Basically all the landlord is obligated to do is protect the sovreignty.
Donbe Scurred
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-08-29 05:36:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Donbe Scurred
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#25 - 2013-08-29 06:13:40 UTC
AFK cloaking is the best way to play eve

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Donbe Scurred
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2013-08-29 06:18:46 UTC
Agreed, tears to effort ratio is through the roof.
KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#27 - 2013-08-29 06:23:36 UTC
People arent being forced to become nullsec renters.

Null sec coalitions are just providing that service for those that want it.

As for *making them work for it*: They took the space to begin with and they will most likely defend the space if it is being attacked, if the renters could take their own space they would not have to be renters now would they?

Do keep in mind that Im writing this from a neutral point of view as CVA does not rent out space.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#28 - 2013-08-29 06:31:04 UTC
Why rent deserted nullsec space when you can trespass and not see another ship for weeks at a time?

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#29 - 2013-08-29 06:38:49 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
People arent being forced to become nullsec renters.

Null sec coalitions are just providing that service for those that want it.

As for *making them work for it*: They took the space to begin with and they will most likely defend the space if it is being attacked, if the renters could take their own space they would not have to be renters now would they?

Most likely? A coalition formed to destroy GSF left a fight against the CFC to go save their renters.

Most likely indeed.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

William Walker
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2013-08-29 06:40:53 UTC
Deka Ekato wrote:
Are the riches of Null Sec so rewarding that people are willing to rent the right to live there?

Move out of controlled Null Sec, and DON'T pay rent!

Yes, they are rewarding. Yes, people will rent. You are welcome to come as well!

ヽ(⌒∇⌒)ノ へ(゜∇、°)へ (◕‿◕✿)

Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2013-08-29 06:49:41 UTC
But if the landlord is renting a space in his station, don't they also control and patrol their space? Aren't they, in effect playing Concord? Or are you totally on your own out there?

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#32 - 2013-08-29 06:50:49 UTC
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
Deka Ekato wrote:

Why....
More ISK, more opportunity, and more freedom.

More... unchecked botting for the RMT farm?
S Byerley
The Manhattan Engineer District
#33 - 2013-08-29 06:57:10 UTC  |  Edited by: S Byerley
KuroVolt wrote:
if the renters could take their own space they would not have to be renters now would they?

The threshold for taking your own space would be a lot lower without the giant landlord alliances; just saying.

Personally, I think the system is reasonable and the rent is generally low.
Zappity
Kurved Trading
#34 - 2013-08-29 08:07:44 UTC
"Why waste your ISK so as to have fun."

Um, did I read that right in the OP? I thought having fun was the point.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-08-29 08:15:38 UTC
Donbe Scurred wrote:
AFK cloaking where I am at.... what is that? What?
Enduros
UK Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2013-08-29 08:16:15 UTC
Biggest reason people rent is to not have to deal with alliance drama and other chores like CTAs and elite PvP where you sit on a titan for 2 hours with 100 of your closest lemmings before you bridge on top of an ihub. Also they want you to train into **** like the drake and then wake up at 4am to go fly that stupid ship 30 jumps away.

Ever been in a big alliance? The amount of red tape you need to get though just to be able to log in to a mumble server is mind-boggling. Then you have your 3 different jabbers, irc, 4 forums and something else, cause like you gotta have access to coalition channels am I right? Granted this is from 2-3 years ago but I doubt anything has really changed.

The you have your constant "they are **** but look at how awesome we are" at all levels across the whole coalition. Even though the metric by which you measure it is how many people showed up and how much KM whoring they accomplished. The last real real pvp I did in FA was when we were suppose to kill a hydra blops gang: everyone docked and I lost a vaga, gf!

Basically you pay to be left alone and do pretty much whatever you want. It's you, the lemmings, who are the real slaves. Granted some people really enjoy that sort of thing, but there are also those that do not. I'm sorry that you think we are playing the game wrong.

Oh and the extreme slavery you talk about is a few hours (1-3) of ratting income per month per active corp member to cover the rent. When you pull in 20mil/tick minimum up to like 45 in a carrier it's really a drop in the ocean. Count in escalations and faction loot and shipsBPCs your biggest concern becomes logistics, not the rent.

How terrible must you be at PvE (in this game lol) to see rent as some sort of slavery? The one evening you would spend in a fleet doing nothing but smack eachother will cover the rent. By the end of the month some people can afford to buy themselves a nyx or something if they are motivated to click enough red crosses.
Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2013-08-29 08:17:18 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

More... unchecked botting for the RMT farm?
I don't bot... do a little PI, PvE, and PvP. That seems to bother you...why?
Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2013-08-29 08:20:04 UTC
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
... Or are you totally on your own out there?
The will take on the big guys... everything else is on the locals. Basically, small scale PvP. Lots of single 'bad guys'... some good fights.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#39 - 2013-08-29 08:56:14 UTC
Skydell wrote:
I'd rather Iteron mine in 1.0 sec myself.

Groveling at the feet of an Overlord for "fun"? No, don't see it happening.

Renting is nothing like that. This clearly shows you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
When you rent space, you pay your rent, which is essentially like tax but you pay in a single hit. After that, you do whatever you want. You don't have to go on ops, you don't have to defend your space. You simply rat or mine or roam or whatever you want.
If anything, Renters have less of an "overlord" structure than a regular corp in an alliance. A regular corp pays tax, has to go on OPs and has too defend their space.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#40 - 2013-08-29 08:59:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Leigh Akiga wrote:
Oh and ABC's, A and X type loots and pirate implants/ BPC's

I think ABC is MHHAJCB at the moment.

Donbe Scurred wrote:

You joke, but with the risk of turning this into another cloaking thread, you guys always laugh at the "HAHA if he's AFK he can't kill you!" But the point that most try to raise which you don't answer, you just continue dropping the same overused joke is, how do you tell who is AFK, and who is a threat? The answer is, you can't tell, so any time you go out with a cloaker in system, you run a risk.

Personally I am willing to run that risk. By swapping into cheaper ships, I can usually make more isk than I'm likely to lose, but it's up to the individual to assess that risk and act accordingly.

But go ahead, keep recycling the same lame joke in every thread.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.