These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

U.S. Congress is at it again....

First post
Author
Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-08-26 20:18:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Inokuma Yawara
The Stop SOPA 2013 petition still needs about 20K signatures (as of this post) to pass muster. Please consider signing, if you're a U.S. citizen, and tell your friends and co-workers about what Congress is trying to pull on us - again.

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#22 - 2013-08-26 20:39:28 UTC
Unfortunately as a Brit I have no democratic say over how the US intends to rule the internet for its own benefit. What?

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Kyseth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2013-08-26 21:15:30 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
Unfortunately as a Brit I have no democratic say over how the US intends to rule the internet for its own benefit. What?


This sounds like a job for... a U.S. Alt! Big smile
Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-08-26 21:37:53 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
Unfortunately as a Brit I have no democratic say over how the US intends to rule the internet for its own benefit. What?


My understanding is that the British government - and the Euro union (or whatever you guys call it) are trying to pass similar measures.

I really think it's time to dust off our pitch-forks and get our torches ready for an angry mob scene in front of our respective government offices or something..... Maybe I'll give money to the Electronic Frontier Foundation...

I don't know what else to do. I, along with hundreds of thousands (perhaps a couple million) Americans sent letters to our respective Congress persons, decrying their attempts at this at least twice that I can remember. They're simply brushing us aside and giving their ears and lending their political power to the two or three with the money. I can't see it any other way....

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2013-08-26 22:08:19 UTC
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Unfortunately as a Brit I have no democratic say over how the US intends to rule the internet for its own benefit. What?


My understanding is that the British government - and the Euro union (or whatever you guys call it) are trying to pass similar measures.

I really think it's time to dust off our pitch-forks and get our torches ready for an angry mob scene in front of our respective government offices or something..... Maybe I'll give money to the Electronic Frontier Foundation...

I don't know what else to do. I, along with hundreds of thousands (perhaps a couple million) Americans sent letters to our respective Congress persons, decrying their attempts at this at least twice that I can remember. They're simply brushing us aside and giving their ears and lending their political power to the two or three with the money. I can't see it any other way....

issue here is, there's pretty much a "CBA" attitude around this mainly because even if it passes on the EU, it doesn't mean that all the countries need to implement it. there has been several cases in the past where certain laws didn't go past the paper they were written on because of it.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Adunh Slavy
#26 - 2013-08-27 14:29:00 UTC
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
In all of my years, I have not seen such abuse from Congress.



This sort of thing happens all the time. You are the frog in the pot.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#27 - 2013-08-27 14:40:18 UTC
At least our lot do get to throw insults at eachother in PMQs.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#28 - 2013-08-27 14:47:31 UTC
Graygor wrote:

Trial by media seems to be the new form of justice, as mob rule just with an expensive haircut.

Sadly, this is not new. Trial by public opinion has been around a long time - from about the time when there were more than three people, I figure - and as long as there have been news sources, those sources have manipulated the message.

Pillory is good, I think. And that should include anyone found slanting the news. Fox News and CNN will each get their own public square for this purpose.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Graygor
1kB Realty
#29 - 2013-08-27 14:53:15 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Graygor wrote:

Trial by media seems to be the new form of justice, as mob rule just with an expensive haircut.

Sadly, this is not new. Trial by public opinion has been around a long time - from about the time when there were more than three people, I figure - and as long as there have been news sources, those sources have manipulated the message.

Pillory is good, I think. And that should include anyone found slanting the news. Fox News and CNN will each get their own public square for this purpose.


I second this motion.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Ohishi
Apocalypse Reign
#30 - 2013-08-29 03:02:52 UTC
Quote:
Discussion of real life politics is not permitted on the EVE Online forums.

Locked.

Funny, that was posted in another thread when it was about English politics. Yet when it comes to the US congress....

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.

Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2013-08-29 03:34:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Inokuma Yawara
Ohishi wrote:
Quote:
Discussion of real life politics is not permitted on the EVE Online forums.

Locked.

Funny, that was posted in another thread when it was about English politics. Yet when it comes to the US congress....


Perhaps the thread that got locked was devolving into a heated debate replete with RUDE name calling, and UNFOUNDED innuendo. You Brits are crazy like that.

When Americans discuss politics we behave in a civil fashion. We POLITELY call each other names, and we qualify any innuendo we make.

Brits: "You stinking cur!"

Americans: "You, sir, are a stinking cur."

Brits: You sleep with goats!"

Americans: "I've heard that you sleep with goats."

See the difference? Try to conduct your political discussions American style and you'll suffer fewer thread locks.

(Tongue in cheek. All of it.)

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#32 - 2013-08-29 04:33:14 UTC
Softcore the lot of you, come back when you've listened to Australian politics.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#33 - 2013-08-29 05:16:43 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
Softcore the lot of you, come back when you've listened to Australian politics.


I have and it should have a score system and be broadcast as a sport.
Qaidan Alenko
Eezo-Lution Inc.
#34 - 2013-08-29 05:44:44 UTC
Kyseth wrote:
Graygor wrote:
Trial by media seems to be the new form of justice, as mob rule just with an expensive haircut.


Sad but true.

I'm not sure which part is worse, the fact that we have gotten to the point where we have "trial by media" as Graygor perfectly put it, or the fact that it exists because both the broadcasters and the audience largely believe it's entertainment.

People are quick to judge those on trial; forming their own opinions that are popularized by not just media "newscasts" but facebook, twitter, youtube, and any other method for Joe Random to get likes on their point of view. I wonder how entertaining this would be for people if they had to watch the sentence for those on trial. I don't mean the feel good of watching the guy be pronounced guilty... I mean sitting in and watching the guy get strapped to the table before a lethal injection or to watch him melt away in prison --either to watch his former life slip away day by day or simply to be shived violently in the shower.


Anyway, I now return you to the thread already in progress.

With the way we keep churning out "reality shows"... I would not be suprised to see one following some convict's execution proceedings. Hell, they could make a season out it...

Season starts out introducing the potential convicts. While the season evolves we become privy to their trials in jail, including their attempts for a stay of exocution. The season finale would cover either the execution itself or the perps possible release. To mix it up some... add in some viewer participation, a-la American Idol type stuff. Let the viewers decide!

Go ahead... Get your Wham on!!!
Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-08-29 06:01:37 UTC
Qaidan Alenko wrote:
Kyseth wrote:
Graygor wrote:
Trial by media seems to be the new form of justice, as mob rule just with an expensive haircut.


Sad but true.

I'm not sure which part is worse, the fact that we have gotten to the point where we have "trial by media" as Graygor perfectly put it, or the fact that it exists because both the broadcasters and the audience largely believe it's entertainment.

People are quick to judge those on trial; forming their own opinions that are popularized by not just media "newscasts" but facebook, twitter, youtube, and any other method for Joe Random to get likes on their point of view. I wonder how entertaining this would be for people if they had to watch the sentence for those on trial. I don't mean the feel good of watching the guy be pronounced guilty... I mean sitting in and watching the guy get strapped to the table before a lethal injection or to watch him melt away in prison --either to watch his former life slip away day by day or simply to be shived violently in the shower.


Anyway, I now return you to the thread already in progress.

With the way we keep churning out "reality shows"... I would not be suprised to see one following some convict's execution proceedings. Hell, they could make a season out it...

Season starts out introducing the potential convicts. While the season evolves we become privy to their trials in jail, including their attempts for a stay of exocution. The season finale would cover either the execution itself or the perps possible release. To mix it up some... add in some viewer participation, a-la American Idol type stuff. Let the viewers decide!



They should make a movie out of that...

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Qaidan Alenko
Eezo-Lution Inc.
#36 - 2013-08-29 06:13:56 UTC
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
Qaidan Alenko wrote:
With the way we keep churning out "reality shows"... I would not be suprised to see one following some convict's execution proceedings. Hell, they could make a season out it...

Season starts out introducing the potential convicts. While the season evolves we become privy to their trials in jail, including their attempts for a stay of exocution. The season finale would cover either the execution itself or the perps possible release. To mix it up some... add in some viewer participation, a-la American Idol type stuff. Let the viewers decide!



They should make a movie out of that...

Wait... Shocked

I see what you did there... (I think)
Go ahead... Get your Wham on!!!
CCP Falcon
#37 - 2013-08-29 13:31:42 UTC

Please keep real life politics off the EVE Online Forums.

It's not permitted here.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Previous page12