These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Do Level 4 missions pay too much compared to 1 through 3?

First post First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#161 - 2013-08-25 12:54:37 UTC
Khemax wrote:
I Believe that the level 4 mission payouts are at a good level compared to other money making activities, but the level 2/3 ones could do with an increase....especially level 3s

That would inject too much isk into the system and do great harm to the game.
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#162 - 2013-08-25 12:59:05 UTC
Khemax wrote:
I Believe that the level 4 mission payouts are at a good level compared to other money making activities, but the level 2/3 ones could do with an increase....especially level 3s

Who cares, if you are even remotely competent you are only stuck in level 3s for like 2 days, less if you spend a couple days on the relevant social skills to boost your standing gains.
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#163 - 2013-08-25 13:07:52 UTC  |  Edited by: MatrixSkye Mk2
Tippia wrote:
In application, nothing ever has probability of 1 (or 0), not even ship losses from ganking (on either side)... It doesn't matter if it's a constant. A risk is a risk is a risk, and costs with p=1 are also risks because they are still a cost-probability duplet.

From here.

Tippia wrote:
The risk in L4s is zero.

From here.

The moral of the story is there is no such thing as zero risk... ever... as long as we're talking about those Eve professions I approve of. If we're talking about professions I disapprove of, well lulz, of course those are risk free.

In before Tippia's claim that there is no contradiction and hypocrisy and convolutes his conviction with tippia-facts, because human error should not be accounted for in risk calculations when it comes to mission running.

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#164 - 2013-08-25 13:20:22 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Tippia wrote:
In ever has probability of 1 (or 0), not even ship losses from ganking (on either side)... It doesn't matter if it's a constant. A risk is a risk is a risk, and costs with p=1 are also risks because they are still a cost-probability duplet.

From here.

Tippia wrote:
The risk in L4s is zero.

From here.

The moral of the story is there is no such thing as zero risk... ever... as long as we're talking about those Eve professions I approve of. If we're talking about professions I disapprove of, well lulz, of course those are risk free.

In before Tippia's claim that there is no contradiction and hypocrisy and convolutes his conviction with "Tippia facts", because human error should not be accounted for in risk calculations when it comes to mission running.

Yea missions are not risk free and will feast upon dumb people. What tippia should have said is missions are crazy easy.
stoicfaux
#165 - 2013-08-25 16:04:05 UTC  |  Edited by: stoicfaux
Missions aren't risk free as I found out when I lost my poor widdle golem to a disconnect. *sniffle* But, to be honest, my Golem died when the cruise missile buff made torps obsolete. The actual explosion was just the funeral.

If you want to make a bazillion isk/hour running level 4s, then at a minimum you need to:
a) use T2 weapons, (as a general rule, i.e. a faction tachyon nightmare is an exception)
b) blitz for LP
c) research which LP items get you 2+k isk/lp.
d) research which LP stores are the "good" ones to work for
e) get your *faction* standings up high enough that you can decline multiple missions per 4 hour block,
f) know which missions have the "best" isk/hr earnings potential, (spreadsheets are your friend)
g) spend time converting LP into isk. (i.e. get the items to market, and then wait for them to sell.)
h) have enough experience to balance your gank versus tank ratio
i) using different ships, from fast shuttles/frigates/interceptors to Marauders.

Disclaimer: isk/hr is a misleading/disingenuous. You're actually building up assets worth a potential X isk every hour. Due to the need to "wait" on the market orders to realize isk from LP conversions, your wall clock isk/hour is going to be lower. OTOH, market orders work while you're afk/offline, so... semantics.

Gravy:
* having multiple level 4 agents in the same station is gravy
* dual boxing
* having a steady someone who will buy your LP items and spare you the time needed to convert them to isk
* using a marauder to salvage (but again, since you're blitzing and using different ships, YMMV.)
* Mach

Of course, if every level 4 mission runner did all that, then the value of LP items would tank, and we'd be focused on bounty ticks.

edit: Also, you may need to
* move/find unsullied agents that haven't had their LP rewards reduced to the bare minimum by blitzing mission runners.
* avoid tornado gangs (i.e. getting suicide ganked)

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#166 - 2013-08-25 18:01:44 UTC
They should ban battleships from level4s.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#167 - 2013-08-25 18:53:29 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

People use battleships for level 4s?

LOL. The player IQ has been dropping if that's the case.

Mr Epeen Cool
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#168 - 2013-08-25 19:02:36 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

One of the biggest mistakes CCP has made over the last six years is to nerf null income while leaving high sec untouched.

The current High Sec Ore market begs to differ.Smile

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#169 - 2013-08-25 23:26:31 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

Strategic cruisers/faction cruisers are still the top level blitzing missions when someone figures out LP's ARE the isk income from missions, lvl3's pay way too much, lvl5's pay really really too much, null sec missions pay way too low and null rats bounties are a joke compared to what you can do in high sec in PERFECT safety.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#170 - 2013-08-25 23:31:12 UTC
These "per hour" numbers are complete nonsense. Come back with the right figures and then do the math.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#171 - 2013-08-25 23:38:21 UTC
This thread has made it to 9 pages.

GD I am disappoint.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#172 - 2013-08-26 00:07:26 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
This thread has made it to 9 pages.

GD I am disappoint.

yep sucks and need to get a lock .

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#173 - 2013-08-26 00:25:12 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Throktar wrote:
What is it about someone doing their own thing and running missions that bothers you?
Aside from the fact that the way EVE is put together, the whole “do your own thing” doesn't really exist… nothing. The problem with missions is that their effort:reward is out of whack.

Quote:
Also, so what if they are making a lot of isk, what concern of that is yours?
It's a single economy. Any given activity spewing out ISK at an unreasonable rate is problematic.

And in an economy where you experience inflation (currency devaluation) prices go up.
Cynter DeVries
Spheroidal Projections
#174 - 2013-08-26 00:52:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Cynter DeVries
baltec1 wrote:

At least half the amount you can make in null.

One of the biggest mistakes CCP has made over the last six years is to nerf null income while leaving high sec untouched.

P Show me on the Megathron where the nerf bat touched you...

Cynter's Law of feature suggestion: Thou shalt not suggest NPCs do something players could do instead.

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#175 - 2013-08-26 03:24:49 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
what you can do in high sec in PERFECT safety.

but if you don't undock you cant complete any missions ....

stoicfaux
#176 - 2013-08-26 03:40:53 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:

Not true. There is one mission you can do without undocking; War Situation (the courier version.) If you have reports in your hangar, accept mission, click complete. A one second mission that provides 18,000 LP/min. Big smile

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#177 - 2013-08-26 05:52:13 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Cynter DeVries wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

At least half the amount you can make in null.

P Show me on the Megathron where the nerf bat touched you...

Literally nowhere. The only improvements I could need is the option to strap on a jumpdrive so I can follow caps and blops around.

However what I said is true. Null has seem a boatload of nerfs to its income over the years ( almost all of them warrented) but high sec was not altered to match the changes. This is why we are now in the situation where there is no real reason to leave high sec because the risk just isnt worth it. You will earn around the same or more in high high sec these days.
Dariusz Betonowy
Doomheim
#178 - 2013-08-26 07:34:35 UTC
From my perspective, doing missions has a few advantages of its own, money nonwithstanding:
- you get basic PVE combat experience - at least one can learn how his racial (or another) weapon system works,
- you skill up important stuff like support skills for your weapon systems, core skills, nav skills... all useful in both PvE and PvP in later game,
- if you get someone to help you early, you can at least learn how to fit the ship for maximum efficiency and/or convenience.

It's not only about the money - if you do missions, you spend the time getting at least somewhat prepared for other kinds of content.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#179 - 2013-08-26 09:43:33 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Kitty Bear wrote:

Not true. There is one mission you can do without undocking; War Situation (the courier version.) If you have reports in your hangar, accept mission, click complete. A one second mission that provides 18,000 LP/min. Big smile

one out of how many ......

tbh anyone who claims that hi-sec is perfect safety for mission runners is both a deluded fool and a liar
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#180 - 2013-08-26 10:27:55 UTC
I started with L4s when L3s became too easy. At first L4s were quite hard (especially Smash the supplier took me an embarrassingly long time). Now I'm getting better.
So, the 60 millions ISK/hr are quite far away for me and for all who are starting with L4s.
At the time I will be able to achieve that, I am quite convinced that L4s will bore me. As it's a game and even IRL job I'm trying not to have money as the sole criterion, I'm sure not gonna run them just because they might pay out 10 million/hr more than a possibly more fun alternative.
Also, as I noticed, I earn far more in the market than in any other activity in game.
I assume when L3s are getting too easy you're supposed to go ahead. If you balance payouts/difficulty of L4s on Chars that are doing this for years, well, guess then you'll create quite a gap for newer players.
for the time being I'm not missioning any more. Some missions still take too long so that I've preferred to take a look into 0.0 space.